Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary If i remember has always walked around the car, it seems appropriate for her to get out the right side but she doesn't.
The Regent Couple and the CP Couple stick to protocol (the higher ranking gets better treatment :), the lower ranking has to walk around the car), Joachim&Marie don't. As for why they don't - perhaps they think they can take it easier with protocol since they are more private royals.

The golden chain around the shoulders is the Order of the Elephant. Usually it is worn in a blue band on the left shoulder, but for very special occassionssuch as New Year it is worn in the the chain. The bow on her shoulder is a pendant with the current regents picture to be worn with the insignia of the Order of the Elephant. If you look closely you will see a miniature painting of HM margrethe II

The golden chain around the shoulders is the Order of the Elephant. Usually it is worn in a blue band on the left shoulder, but for very special occassionssuch as New Year it is worn in the the chain. The bow on her shoulder is a pendant with the current regents picture to be worn with the insignia of the Order of the Elephant. If you look closely you will see a miniature painting of HM margrethe II

Can you explain about the star as well? Mary has 1 star but Frederick has 2.
So Marie only has the Order of the Elephant? No bow and no star yet?

the ladies look lovely. i really liked mary's orange dress. it's great to see marie and joachim there, because i don't think they are attending the other new year's receptions.

Could Margrethe's dress be a re-working of her coat from Fred and Mary's wedding? It looks very similar.

from what there are made the star and the order in the side, I know the order of the elephant it is gold but i am not sure about the rest?

carlota said:
i really liked mary's orange dress. it's great to see marie and joachim there, because i don't think they are attending the other new year's receptions.
So far yes! Marie was very pregnant last year's
She was, but that's not why she didn't attend the other events.
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie only attend the New Year's gala.
The New Yea's Court at Christiansborg is only attended by the Royal and the Crown Princely couple.
Prince Joachim never attended.

Can you explain about the star as well? Mary has 1 star but Frederick has 2.
So Marie only has the Order of the Elephant? No bow and no star yet?

The other star is from the Order of the Dannebrog. Also Margrethe, Henrik and Joachim wear two stars.

I was wondering the same thing about walking around the car.

The queen doesn't, Marie hasn't, yet Mary does walk around the car.

I thought perhaps Marie didn't do so last year because she was expecting a child and direct access to the curb would be easier. Yet this year she didn't walk around the car either. Could it be that there is another baby coming and nobody has mentioned it yet?

The others with direct access to the curb are born royal.
Generally the highest ranking passenger in the car exits first.

Did Mary and Marie receive new necklaces. I never see them before.
Prince Henrik senior without uniform ?

I was wondering the same thing about walking around the car.

The queen doesn't, Marie hasn't, yet Mary does walk around the car.

I thought perhaps Marie didn't do so last year because she was expecting a child and direct access to the curb would be easier. Yet this year she didn't walk around the car either. Could it be that there is another baby coming and nobody has mentioned it yet?

The others with direct access to the curb are born royal.
I have been wondering about it for years, and find it quite rude actually for Fred not acting gentlemanly, although there may be a problem, he might have a secret phobia of having an accident we never know, most likely it is some protocol about him being the next king

I think it's interesting (and nice) that both Mary and Marie had their hair fashioned into braids this year.

I don't care for the color orange on Mary at all, but I did like the style of dress with what looks like an overskirt and softer underskirt gathered in front.

Kudos to those of you who understand all of the decorations. I recognize the Order of the Elephant but that's about it! ;)

I didn't know there were rules about who gets direct access to the curb and who doesn't? Kind of a weird one imo....

I have been wondering about it for years, and find it quite rude actually for Fred not acting gentlemanly, although there may be a problem, he might have a secret phobia of having an accident we never know, most likely it is some protocol about him being the next king

As was indicated in past posts, CP Frederik is not being rude. Both the regent couple and crown prince couple exit their cars according to protocol. The highest ranking royal exits the car nearest the curb. It is Princess Joachim and Princess Marie who ignore protocol.

Did Mary and Marie receive new necklaces. I never see them before.
Prince Henrik senior without uniform ?

Princess Mary is wearing the pendant from the brooch of the Ruby Parue set as a necklace.
Princess Marie is wearing a diamond and sapphire brooch as a necklace which was once Queen Alexandrines. :flowers:

Could Margrethe's dress be a re-working of her coat from Fred and Mary's wedding? It looks very similar.

You are quite right it is.
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/T-O7...ary/a8qKYobyYtW/Queen+Margrethe+II+Of+Denmark
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/T-O7...ary/78n5wWS1p6i/Queen+Margrethe+II+Of+Denmark

oh wow.... that is some good recycling!

I quite like the design of Mary's gown, however, what I don't like is the shiny fabric over the skirt. The orange color is already overwhelming and thus adding another shiny fabric would be too much. I imagine I would like it better if the shiny fabric was removed and Mary wore a different tiara. The ruby parure is very elegant but considering the whole impact of the dress and its color, something less shiny on Mary's head would have been better IMO. I notice she wears the ruby parure in every bold color of her gowns.

She was, but that's not why she didn't attend the other events.
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie only attend the New Year's gala.
The New Yea's Court at Christiansborg is only attended by the Royal and the Crown Princely couple.
Prince Joachim never attended.

I'm confused then, isn't this event the new year's court? :S or what is the event that Joahim and Marie don't attend to?

I'm confused then, isn't this event the new year's court? :S or what is the event that Joahim and Marie don't attend to?

Check out this link to last year's receptions at Danish Royal Watchers blog. It explains the different events better than I could.

Danish Royal Watchers: January 2009

The receptions that Joachim & Marie don't attend appear to be daytime receptions for the Supreme Court, a couple of officers' corps, and diplomatic corps. Last year they were held on January 5th.

This was the New Years Court Banquet held at Christiansborg. :)
The other event on January 5th is when the royals recieve the Supreme Court, the Royal Lifeguards Officer Corps and Guard Hussar Regiment's Officer Corps in Christian VII Palace at Amalienborg.

They also attend the New Year's Court for the Diplomatic Corps serving in Denmark at Christiansborg Palace later the same day.

January 5
HM Queen Margrethe, TRH Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary attend the New Year's Court for the Judges of the Supreme Court, the Royal Lifeguards and the Hussar Guard Regiment officers at Christian VII's Palace in Amalienborg at 9:50am. The New Year's Court for the Diplomatic Corps follows at 11am.

January 6
HM Queen Margrethe, TRH Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary attend the New Year's Court for the Armed Forces and Emergency Management Agencies Officers, 1st-3rd Class Rankings and representatives of Royal Patronages and National Organisations at Christian VII's Palace in Amalienborg at 9:30am.

This is the first time Mary will attend the 3rd New Years event.

Marie and Joachim don't go because they don't need to go. :flowers:

is the tiara of princess marie hers?? or is it just a loan? like mary's ruby parue.

is the tiara of princess marie hers?? or is it just a loan? like mary's ruby parue.

The tiara is not hers, it's a loan from the family.
The Ruby Parue belongs to Frederik, it was given to him by his grandmother for his future wife to wear.

I wonder where they get dress in their own home? or may be in the palace and after they come around in the car? I am sure they need several people to get them ready like that it is not only the makeuop and hair it is to set all this jewellery on the dress too

I wonder where they get dress in their own home? or may be in the palace and after they come around in the car? I am sure they need several people to get them ready like that it is not only the makeuop and hair it is to set all this jewellery on the dress too

The family were at Marselisborg for Christmas, and possible New Year. So I imagine they dressed and were "made-up" there. :)

Back
Top Bottom