The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
I thought there was an event right after this one during the day. It seems the Queen and PC and then Fred and Mary attend.
I don't think I've seen something about that? Where have you seen it?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really can't see Mary's LIW. is she on the right?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I really can't see Mary's LIW. is she on the right?
No, I think she's the one in greyish-beige to the left of HM's LiWs (in red uniform dresses). She's the American born Countess Victoria Bernstorff-Gyldensteen, who was Mary's LiW the first couple of years, meaning that the Photo is either from 2005 or 2006.

Viv
Old 01-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I thought I would share this pic with you: https://app.box.com/s/p6zref5nvtx8hjtys3ei

It depicts the Regent Couple, as well as M&F at a New Year Court in 2006 in the Knights Hall/Great Hall at Christiansborg - and all the employees of the court, and also the adjutants and LiWs.
- Minus of course those employees who are absent because they are on holiday or sick or have had to stay behind at work for some reason.

As far as I can judge there are some 125 people in the picture.

M&F's as well and Benedikte and Joachim's tiny courts are not represented. ADDED: they are actually. I see Mary's first LiW is there and the head of their court as well, Søren Haslund Christensen.

The picture is fascinating because it shows the machinery behind the DRF.
It is also a little amusing because I'm sure we all remember the stories in the Aussie press in the beginning of the scheming intrigues at the Danish courts, the hordes of "palace insiders" who were quoted and the fierce infighting among the fractions at court.
Apparantly the Aussie press thought that the DRF must be like the BRF, with many hundreds of employees.
I remember thinking: What?? They are not even 200 altogether and as you can tell from the picture the majority are cleaners, footmen, drivers, kitchen staff and office workers who are unlikely to intrigue in any way, so that leaves precious few to scheme against or for Mary.

ADDED: Yes Viv, if there is one thing that can really piss off an airline pilot (they mostly have a background in the airforce and they still think they are the maincast of Top Gun and looking absolutely dashing, potbelly and all) it's to tell them that they are basically overpaid busdrivers.

Muhler. Thank you again for that information. I am struck by the small number of employees. Not a bad thing- it means the DRF are still "real" and not totally insulated from outside life.

RE: Mary's LIW, Countess Victoria Bernstoff-Gyldensteen was quite possibly still LIW at that time.

My husband is an airline pilot (not ex-airforce though) and yes the overpaid bus driver comments annoy our pilots too!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rosie View Post
My husband is an airline pilot (not ex-airforce though) and yes the overpaid bus driver comments annoy our pilots too!
Lady Rosie, just to put things right !
I have the deepest respect for especially airline pilots! They are responsible for getting the passengers safely from A to B and they cannot pull over if they get problems en route!
The core of my joke shared with Muhler was that when I was young many busdrivers wore a uniform of a colour and design similar to that of the Royal Danish Air Force, and in spite of not knowing Muhler's age I suppose that he's old enough to have encountered those busdrivers too.

Viv
Old 01-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

Viv,

Funny! The Australian joke comes from another angle

A former head of an airline/or the PM (statesminister -learnt that from Borgen!) at the time (will check on that) said that airline pilots were just overpaid bus drivers in an attempt to sway public opinion in favour of the airlines during a pay dispute.

Quite funny how the same comment about an obscure thing can have two different meanings in two countries.

Thank you for your post.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
A former head of an airline/or the PM (statesminister -learnt that from Borgen!) at the time (will check on that) said that airline pilots were just overpaid bus drivers in an attempt to sway public opinion in favour of the airlines during a pay dispute.
Thanks, Lady Rosie!
Well, wherever it came from the 'overpaid bus-driver' joke is universal, I'm afraid! I know that some carriers used to pay their pilots amply, but that was before the deregulation set in! It's different in today's highly competitive market. With all due respect, I hope that your husband is paid more than a bus driver. He deserves it !

viv
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Courtier

When will the next New Year court event be?? And will it be the Diplomatic corp gala? Patiently waiting on pics. Hope Mary wears the Blue gown next time.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:15 AM
Aristocracy

From Kongehuset.dk and translated as best I can from Google!

6th January
The royal couple will hold New Year's reception for Supreme Court judges, the Royal Guard and the regiments Officer Corps in Christian VII's Palace, Amalienborg, at. 9.50.

The royal couple will receive Supreme Court judges, the Royal Guard and the regiments officer corps of cure.
Royal Couple are present.*

6th January
The royal couple will hold New Year's reception for the diplomatic corps at Christiansborg Palace, Copenhagen, at. 11.30.

7th January
The royal couple will receive at Christiansborg Palace following the New Year's Shed:
Kl. 09:30

Officers from Defence and Emergency Management.

Kl. 10:00
I., II. and III. Rank Class.
Kl. 12:00

Invited representatives of major national organizations and royal patronage.

*assume this means Crown Prince Couple? Translation may not be exact.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The royal couple will receive Supreme Court judges, the Royal Guard and the regiments officer corps of cure.
-------
*assume this means Crown Prince Couple? Translation may not be exact.
Well, Lady Rosie's understanding of Danish is better than of Google translator . Apparently it can't cope with the word
'kronprinsparret'! Maybe it's because that the title ' Crown prince' is virtually unknown in the Anglophone world!

viv
Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Serene Highness

I found this close-up picture of the Order of the Elephant, maybe some of you will find it interesting
(Pic: From a state visit back in September)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/80890b440...4lwho1_500.png
Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
I found this close-up picture of the Order of the Elephant, maybe some of you will find it interesting
(Pic: From a state visit back in September)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/80890b440...4lwho1_500.png
Thanks Roskilde,

I can add that the elephants are not identical, depending on when they were made there are distinct differencies.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Courtier

Thank You Lady Rosie, that answers my question as to when the next levee takes place. Many Thanks for your efforts.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Aristocracy

Pleasure Tarlita. I am looking forward to seeing the coach and the DRF in their finery.

Viv. Google translate needs to polish it's Danish!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
I don't think I've seen something about that? Where have you seen it?
Lady Rosie posted a schedule that starts on the 6th. For some reason I thought this usually took place the day after, but I was wrong.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
T

While not an expert I happen to know that Danish naval officers
never wear caps indoors and thus never salute indoors!
In this case CP Frederik was wearing the naval gala dress with a
'sauce boat' hat, and I don't know whether the same tradition - not saluting - applies when in a 'ceremonial mode' as the gala dress would normally call for! The gala uniform is only worn by the very top brass!
IIRC we may have seen a navy styled Prince Consort wearing his 'sauce'boat' indoors, but having honorary - 'a la suite' ranks in all three services he may confuse the various traditions from time to other .

Last but not least in Denmark the Navy enjoys taking the mickey out
of the Army and their far more formal ceremonial and rigid traditions!
Now you could argue that an occasion like a New Year's gala is not the time and place to do so, but I for one wouldn't be surprised if it were the case ..
thank you Viv
it certainly makes since.
i know in the US, there is also "rivalry" /good jokes and differences between the military branches.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Nobility

First photos.

http://www.bt.dk/danmark/se-billeder...mer-dronningen
Old 01-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
An Ard Ri, the menu says ' creme Anglaise' and while the ingredients look somewhat similar to what I know as 'English' custard - this is probably a more refined version! Surfing the net for a recipe I noticed that one of our TV-chefs is vouching for 'chocolate cake with Creme Anglaise', so I suppose it's in order!
As far as I am aware, Crème Anglaise is really just custard.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Serene Highness

Todays New Year Court at Christiansborg

Both Margrethe and Mary in blue gowns, and Henrik and Frederik in uniforms.

And just like last year, both Margrethe and Henrik were sitting down throughout the 45-minutes long Court, while Frederik and Mary received the 124 guests standing.

Gallery from Kongehuset
http://kongehuset.dk/Menu/foto--vide...atiske-korps-2
Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Cerca - Getty Images IT: DNK: Queen Margrethe Of Denmark Holds New Year's Levee For Diplomats

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals