Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary and Frederik do look a little tired (jet-lagged/sun-burned); it makes them look older - but well, Frederik is turning 50 this year...

They haven't arrived yet. Apparently they should be around 19h10.

Marie is wearing her gown from the Belgian State Visit and Mary is wearing a gorgeous new red gown!

Stunning new red dress on Mary. Quite a daring cleavage but very fitting.

Marie is in a white gown with gold lace. Also very beautiful.

That's it, the show is over. ?

Now we will wait for our news sniffers to dig up the first photos.

----------------------

What happens now is that the guests will greet the DRF who are lined up. In order of rank.
The guests will then wait in an adjacent hall.

Then the DRF will enter the room, and when that happens QMII will do a curtsy for the guests. She is symbolically curtsying Denmark. That happens this time of year only.
Mary and our Marie are said to also curtsy at the same time.

I assume that Frederik will bow when his time comes. Not wearing a headdress inside he will not salute.

Last edited:
They haven't arrived yet. Apparently they should be around 19h10.

Oops, I already seemed to recognize the dress... we'll see how well they are able to camouflage their jetlag :flowers: (haven't seen the livestream, so waiting for the pictures)

That's it, the show is over. ?

Now we will wait for our news sniffers to dig up the first photos.

----------------------

What happens now is that the guests will greet the DRF who are lined up. In order of rank.
The guests will the wait in an adjacent hall.

Then the DRF will enter the room, and when that happens QMII will do a curtsy for the guests. She is symbolically curtsying Denmark. That happens this time of year only.
Mary and our Marie are said to also curtsy at the same time.

I assume that Frederik will bow when his time comes. Not wearing a headdress inside he will not salute.

Some screen shots I posted on the fashion thread

Is a cold evening in Copenhagen or on the mild side as both Mary and Marie have no coats/shawls?

Here are a few photos from tonights Gala at the Amalienborg in Copenhagen

PPE Agency

Last edited by a moderator:
Current temperature is 5'C. With light winds.

Even if weather is mild, we are in beginning of January, and evening, so no sun. I think that these ladies take the risk of pneumonia, to show their beautiful gowns.
The Queen wears a warm fur. She préfers being in the safeside.

Even if weather is mild, we are in beginning of January, and evening, so no sun. I think that these ladies take the risk of pneumonia, to show their beautiful gowns.
The Queen wears a warm fur. She préfers being in the safeside.

They were outside for, what, 2 minutes max? I think they'll be fine. Some years they wear furs/capes, some years they don't.

Minister Sofie Løhde's dress certainly looked pretty enough for a princess!

(So strange to see politicians dressing up in gala for a dinner with the royal family - but I'm loving the show! :))

I always look forward to the New Year Courts, I love seeing all the DRF in their finery. Would have been nice to see Nikolai there considering that he's eighteen now, perhaps next time.

I love these events, the tiaras, the gowns, uniforms. I think they all look magnificent! I do like the Queen in her green and especially Mary's gorgeous red.

Everyone look great as always.

Great start to the Ne Year, thanks for the posts.

What is the history behind Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim wearing these particular uniforms every time? I'm sure I've read it somewhere but can't remember it.

Could they wear something else? I've never been too fond of either of these uniforms.

What is the history behind Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim wearing these particular uniforms every time? I'm sure I've read it somewhere but can't remember it.

Could they wear something else? I've never been too fond of either of these uniforms.

It is not every time: both princes have been promoted to higher ranks and that is why their uniforms are far more elaborate, especially the headgear. In the recent past we could see Prince Joachim with a képie, now he clearly wears the hat of a senior officer: a feathered bicorne. Prince Frederik always wore an unfeathered bicorne but since his promotion to the highest ranks he wears an abundantly feathered one. In most European armies these bicornes were scrapped after WWI but they still feature in ceremonial tenues.

Last edited:

The dress code is gala, which means you are supposed to wear a gala uniform if you are entitled to one.
Joachim is a full colonel of the reserves in the army, so that's the uniform he wears.
Frederik is entitled to wear the gala uniform of all three branches. But since Joachim is already wearing the army uniform and Frederik has a close affiliation with the navy, he seemingly opts for the navy uniform.
He could also wear the air force uniform, which PH has been seen wearing quite often, but to be honest I don't think our resident fans of Frederik would appreciate that... ?

Of course I assume Frederik and/or Joachim could wear civilian if they really wanted to, but it would be odd and probably considered a snub of the armed services.

The Home Guard and the Civil Defense don't have gala uniforms. The Home Guard because they are basically a citizens militia and the Civil Defense because it goes against the non-militaristic basis of the service.
So Mary and our Marie can (fortunately) safely go for the big gowns.

A nice gallery from Svensk Damtidning:
https://www.svenskdam.se/2018/01/se-bilderna-fran-drottning-margrethes-galamiddag/
The photo of M&F looking at each other is great.
So is this photo!
By accident this is the best photo of them all: https://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/mary-stella-1.jpg

And an article about our Marie's dress:
https://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam.se/marie-i-rikke-gudnitz/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom