The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Administrator

All the ladies look lovely! I agree about the Queen's teeth. There is really no excuse. Also, like the Princess Royal, I believe she has beautiful hair..I just wish she would wear it differently. It looks so harsh.

Princess Alexandra...I adore her! She looks great as always...in regards to the recycling of the dress..yes..it would be great if she wore another dress.. but then she would have been accused of being flamboyant. It must be hard to be in the public eye...you can never please anyone.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for all the lovely pictures. QMII looked very very majestic, CP Frederik and CPs Mary looked great! What a lovely couple! Both so happy- parenthood does suit them.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Courtier

Princess Alexandra was there, but isn't she divorced with the Queen's son?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula**
Princess Alexandra was there, but isn't she divorced with the Queen's son?
Indeed, Alex and Joachim are divorced now, but she keeps being invited to the official acts or dinners offered by the Royal House, as you see she wears her tiara and Order, but this is the first time she takes part as a guest and no like a member of the Royal Family.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Courtier

Her Highness Princess Alexandra of Denmark, countess of Frederiksborg is no longer an immediate member of the royal famiy but is an extended member so to speak. the fact that the Princess is still acknowledged on Kongehuset (the official Danish Monarchy website) affirms this.

She holds the same rank now as Her Highness Princess Elizabeth of Denmark (1st cousin of Her Majesty the Queen).

As Alexandra was made a Grand Dame of the Order of the Elephant, she is still 'expected' and 'required' to attend ceremony's, galas & state visits that necessitate such pageantry. Of course, this isn't to say that she can't not go if she wishes, but obviously still feels it her duty & obligation to her position, country and "family".

She is afterall, still a representative of the royal family & the Kingdom of Denmark.

"MII"
Old 01-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Serene Highness

And before all she is the mother to Joachims sons. If he just remarried, she might choose not to attend for a while to avoid any awkwardness that might occur at first, but once things are settled down, why shouldn't she be there. They have sorted things out, she is still appreciated and valued by the Queen and she will alwas be part of the family due to her sons. I think they are handling this divorce much more dignified and natural then the Brits.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:02 AM

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I think CP Mary looks lovely as always. I think the blue dress is beautiful and the tiara is gorgeous on her.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Majesty

the dresses at new year leave seems to be more covered up
1: its a winter events
2 how the order are worn in a chain it would not be good with a low neckline and starpless gown

but thats my opinion
alexdra has worn a few great dresses at this events i would love to see a few of them posted here
Old 01-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt
I don't know why everyone thinks Mary looks old. I think she looks absoutely gorgeous and I think her dress fits just fine and is extremely appropriate for the event.
FUUUUUUULLY AGREEEEE

Mary is extremely classy and always well dressed and appropriate on any occasion, and THIS occasion is a very formal occasion, she does not look old she looks her age, but being A LADY.

I never understood why people wanted royal to look like the every day vegetable seller !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
All the ladies look lovely! I agree about the Queen's teeth. There is really no excuse. Also, like the Princess Royal, I believe she has beautiful hair..I just wish she would wear it differently. It looks so harsh.

Well well well said
Old 01-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Royal Highness

I think the comments here are being made because the style of dress is not one usually worn by the Crown Princess, she usually goes for more low cut short sleeve etc. BTW none of the photos are clear, I would love to see a good picture!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Hair

Aie Aie aie, i spoke toooo fast

I hate her hair..... is the first time she has such an ugly hair, my Gooood

http://tinypic.com/jkwxg5.jpg

Of course they are artificials but this is not the problem, .....
Is her tiara the same that she wore on her marriage eve, with the red gown??? If yes, even this stunning tiara now look toooo much, and with this enormeous head :(

Mary sorry, is the first time I do not like your choice...
Old 01-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
And before all she is the mother to Joachims sons. If he just remarried, she might choose not to attend for a while to avoid any awkwardness that might occur at first, but once things are settled down, why shouldn't she be there. They have sorted things out, she is still appreciated and valued by the Queen and she will alwas be part of the family due to her sons. I think they are handling this divorce much more dignified and natural then the Brits.
Paca..I totally agree with your statement. But in all fairness..I think the DRF took valuable lessons from the Brits and Diana.

Here you have an extremely popular princess who is the mother of two princes, you don't just demote her so to speak (although I do believe that Diana should have loss her HRH title...and before anyone gets in arms..I adore her. I am just being realistic). Like Alexandra she should have been made an HH. Luckily, the reasons of the Alexandra/Joachim divorce have never been revealed (as well they shouldn't) whereas with Charles and Diana we knew everything and that not a good thing. In addition, there doesn't seem to be any bitterness between the two and the Queen acknowledges and respects Alexandra....as she should the mother of her two grandsons. I also think in fairness to Queen Elizabeth..she was treading on unchartered territory and didn't know how to handle the situation.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Courtier

All the royal ladies looked exceptionally elegant and regal for the New Year Leeve.
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 01-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The Scandanavian monarchs have always been a particularly forward thinking group and they've always made individual happiness just as important as their royal obligations ever since King Harald had to wait 9 years to marry the woman he loved and Carl Gustav had to become king to marry his true love.

I'm sure Margrethe has always just wanted her children to be happy and would have done the same thing no matter what was going on elsewhere. And we're very glad that she did because now there are two beautiful princesses in Denmark to watch and not just one. :)

ps I thought Mary wore the ruby tiara - that one is not that small is it? Its quite enchanting but its hard to see the rubies on it.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Paca..I totally agree with your statement. But in all fairness..I think the DRF took valuable lessons from the Brits and Diana.

Here you have an extremely popular princess who is the mother of two princes, you don't just demote her so to speak (although I do believe that Diana should have loss her HRH title...and before anyone gets in arms..I adore her. I am just being realistic). Like Alexandra she should have been made an HH. Luckily, the reasons of the Alexandra/Joachim divorce have never been revealed (as well they shouldn't) whereas with Charles and Diana we knew everything and that not a good thing. In addition, there doesn't seem to be any bitterness between the two and the Queen acknowledges and respects Alexandra....as she should the mother of her two grandsons. I also think in fairness to Queen Elizabeth..she was treading on unchartered territory and didn't know how to handle the situation.
I do agree, they have taught other Royals a lesson of how not to do it, but still the second time around they didn't do a better job with Fergie. About Anne's and Margrethes divorces they didn't seem to have too many problems, considering that Megs ex used to take official pics of them. They just seem to have problems with the women, though Andrew and Fergie have become/stayed friends in spite of every thing. But still she doesn't seem to let bygones be bygones and get on with the mother of her granddaughters.

But admittedly the scandinavians have always been much more progressive, then other European countries (not only their Royals) and they were also the ones who changed their laws to equal rights for male and female heirs.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Courtier

I know I'm the minority but I like both Princess Alexandra and Crown Princess Mary dresses, not to thrilled with the Queen though I think she has worn it a few times in the past

Quote:
). Like Alexandra she should have been made an HH
Not trying to drag Diana into the conversation but I just felt it was important to point out since WW1 there have been no British royals with HH, they were either all demoted or raised to HRH. It was impossible for her to get that style.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Oppie...we must agree to disagree. Again not trying to turn it into a Diana discussion...but the Queen could have made an allowance for the HH. I mean, she is the Queen, and true its not like back in the day when she had a tons of power but allowances could and should have been made.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Serene Highness

I think that Queen Margrethe said at one point that her role is and requires of her to preserve the monarchy which is a conservative role, but that she also had the duty to adapt the monarchy to its time where it needs to adapt. And this is a lesson that the Brits only learned after Dianas death, whereas the Danes and the other scandinavian royalty already practiced this with success.

So once again bravo for the Danish Royals for handling delicate situations with bravado giving a good example to their subjects.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
I think that Queen Margrethe said at one point that her role is and requires of her to preserve the monarchy which is a conservative role, but that she also had the duty to adapt the monarchy to its time where it needs to adapt. And this is a lesson that the Brits only learned after Dianas death, whereas the Danes and the other scandinavian royalty already practiced this with success.

So once again bravo for the Danish Royals for handling delicate situations with bravado giving a good example to their subjects.
I totally agree. Princess Alexandra is truly an asset to the family and the nation. If and when Prince Joachim remarries, it understandable that his wife could and should take a more active role but until then....I will continue to enjoy and appreciate HH Princess Alexandra :)
Old 01-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
The Scandanavian monarchs have always been a particularly forward thinking group and they've always made individual happiness just as important as their royal obligations ever since King Harald had to wait 9 years to marry the woman he loved and Carl Gustav had to become king to marry his true love.

I'm sure Margrethe has always just wanted her children to be happy and would have done the same thing no matter what was going on elsewhere. And we're very glad that she did because now there are two beautiful princesses in Denmark to watch and not just one. :)

ps I thought Mary wore the ruby tiara - that one is not that small is it? Its quite enchanting but its hard to see the rubies on it.
ysbel,

It is the Queen Desiree diamond & ruby parure :) The base of the tiara was covered by HRH hair this time round which looked much better I thought...

"MII"

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals