Danish New Year Courts: 2004, 2006-2021, 2023, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are true Tilia :whistling::ROFLMAO:
banghead6mx.gif
:lol::ohmy::D
For me,purepeople isn't a serious forum.It's not a good reference.
Moreover,the language they use is very childish.
Most of time,they praise some royals and celebrities beyond the limits.
Their so-called journalists live in Barbie world:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
You're more likely to be right as you're from France and speak this language unlike me... :sad:
However, I tend to browse through this site only to get pictures that seem to me quite of good quality. :flowers:

marika, you just beat me for a fraction of second, i logged in to post it myself! ;-)
i really like those clips, much more interesting than pictures.

In the bottom video, I love the part where the usher is peeking through the door and then throws the doors open just in time for the Crown Prince to walk through. I wish we could all enter rooms that way! (along with trumpet fanfare) :p BTW, Frederik was smiling all through the walk into the room and looked great to me. :flowers:

And here is a clip from BT:
- BT TV - BT.dk

This is the court for the diplomatic corps, which took place at Christiansborg, the Parliament.

I've seen QMII's gown before.

Prince Henrik is wearing the gala uniform of a general in the army.

Frederik as usual is wearing the gala uniform of the navy.

Frederik's adjutant (seen walking behind Frederik) is wearing the gala uniform of the airforce.

And here is a clip from BT:
- BT TV - BT.dk

This is the court for the diplomatic corps, which took place at Christiansborg, the Parliament.

I've seen QMII's gown before.

Prince Henrik is wearing the gala uniform of a general in the army.

Frederik as usual is wearing the gala uniform of the navy.

Frederik's adjutant (seen walking behind Frederik) is wearing the gala uniform of the airforce.
many thanks for the link.
i reckon it should be pretty boring standing in line and shaking hands with all the diplomats...not a official duty i would look forward to... :p
if you don't mind, i have some questions:
how come frederik always wears the navy uniform? does he have special links with the navy sector of the danish army or... as you yourself wrote yesterday, it has been chosen bc it is the coolest uniform of the lot ;)?
how come joachim and marie do not attend this event?

many thanks for the link.
i reckon it should be pretty boring standing in line and shaking hands with all the diplomats...not a official duty i would look forward to... :p
if you don't mind, i have some questions:
how come frederik always wears the navy uniform? does he have special links with the navy sector of the danish army or... as you yourself wrote yesterday, it has been chosen bc it is the coolest uniform of the lot ;)?

Come on, FasterB & Sternchen :lol: It's a dress, what do I know about dresses? :p

Frederik has a pretty close association to the navy. Partly through his grandfather Frederik IX, whom he resemble so much. Frederik IX was known as the Sailor King, and with good reason.
Also, Frederik served in the navy onboard a patrol frigate in the North Atlantic.
He also served in the Frogman Corps, which belongs to the navy.
On top of that he is pretty fond of the sea and sailing.

And as you point out, the navy uniform is the smartest looking. - It can certainly make some of you drool heavily. ;)

it may well be the case, muhler. but something is not right, thats for sure.

Duke of Marmelade

I have just seen live tv from the Galla from today. And CP Frederik looked happy and relaxed as always.

I know you are very glad to hear these happy tidings:lol:

Come on, FasterB & Sternchen :lol: It's a dress, what do I know about dresses? :p

Frederik has a pretty close association to the navy. Partly through his grandfather Frederik IX, whom he resemble so much. Frederik IX was known as the Sailor King, and with good reason.
Also, Frederik served in the navy onboard a patrol frigate in the North Atlantic.
He also served in the Frogman Corps, which belongs to the navy.
On top of that he is pretty fond of the sea and sailing.

And as you point out, the navy uniform is the smartest looking. - It can certainly make some of you drool heavily. ;)

indeed it does ;)!
on a more serious level, thanks for your explanation! i had heard about his love for sports and sailing in particular, but had not idea really that he had been serving in the navy.

And the frogman corps is the most difficult education in the military.

indeed it does ;)!
on a more serious level, thanks for your explanation! i had heard about his love for sports and sailing in particular, but had not idea really that he had been serving in the navy.

He got his nickname Pingo from his time in the Frogman corps :) IIRC he also got his tatoo during that time :) Didn't he serve with Jeppe Handwerk? And Jeppe is also a godfather to Christian :)

Ambassadører i flot tøj på kongelig visit | www.berlingske.dk
A gallery from Berlinske tidende.

Notice the three pictures in the beginning of this series of the Guards Hussars.

In the first pictures we see a troop of the squadron present. Notice the officer nearest us. He is riding a horse in a color that is different from the troopers under his command. The purpose is for the troopers to easier spot him in the heat of battle. - And surprisingly perhaps, also for the horses. Old cavalry horses would instinctively follow the horse of the officer in charge of their squadron, because they were used to that.

In the second picture we see the signalmen, with their officer to the right of them. They are called trompeters, not buglars or hornblowers.
Notice how their horses is different in color from the officer, and the rest of the troop/squadron the signalman belongs to. Again, so that the officer could quickly locate his signalman in battle.
Apart from that their "svejf", the adornment on their headgear, which is called a kepi, is white, in contrast to the officer (and the rest of the squadron), who wear a red "svejf". The "svejf" is supposed to resemble the mane of a horse.

In the third picture we can again see the signalmen nearest us. They ride white/grey horses, while the rest of the squadron ride brown horses. Their "svejfs" are red, while the rest of the squadron wear white "svejfs".
Old cavalry horses would in many cases know the signals better than the troopers. And they would obey the signal regardless of what their silly rider was attempting to do...

If you look at the pictures of the honor guard from the Royal Lifeguard, you will notice the signalmen on the right flank. The Royal Lifegaurd regiment was originally a heavy line infantry regiment (grenadiers actually) and as such they use drummers as signalmen, rather than hornblowers, which would be used by light infantry.
Fifers (the ones who play a little pipe) are always teamed up with the drummers. The job of fifers were to play tunes on the march and keep up a good spirit, but also to play tunes as a salute.
The fifers and drummers always play the "Colour March", whenever a members of the DRF pass by, because that march is also a salute.

Fifers and drummers are signalmen and as such they have nothing t do with the regimental mussic corps.

The music corps doubled as stretcher bearers in battle.

Last edited:
He got his nickname Pingo from his time in the Frogman corps :) IIRC he also got his tatoo during that time :) Didn't he serve with Jeppe Handwerk? And Jeppe is also a godfather to Christian :)

That's right.
He got his tatoo of somewhat fat shark in that period. Jeppe Handwerk also served in the Frogman Corps, he was as far as I remember, not an aspirant at the same time as Frederik.
The name Pingo stems from an incident where Frederik's divingsuit had a hole and was filled with water. And wearing flippers, he resembled a popular penquin at that time when walking. Hence his nickname.

Frederik's recieved his static as well as free fall jumptraining at the army special forces, Jægerkorpset.

This is the penquin whom Frederik resembled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGL2C6uO7pQ&feature=fvsr

Last edited:

Pics from today, January 5th:

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik in the golden carriage at Amalienborg
Palace on their way to the New Year Reception.

** ppe gallery **

Pics from today, January 5th:

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik in the golden carriage at Amalienborg
Palace on their way to the New Year Reception.

** ppe gallery **

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

There was a brief segment on the 12.00 news and apart from Mary not being there and the presence of quite a number of Australian reporters, this court went ahead as usual.

Okay, in order to answer that question, we need to go back to the mindset people had when this tradition started, back in the time of Absolutism.

Joachim do not attend, because he is not the Crown Prince.

These courts (apart from the diplomatic and the court for the government) are for high ranking civil servants and military personel, who have this opportunity to say hi to their boss. Their boss is of course the Monarch, and the future boss is the Crown Prince, and it's good idea to greet both of them - and to let them get to know you are....

From the perspective of the Monarch it's also a statement: "Hi, I'm your boss. - This is my son, and he'll be your next boss. Just in case you should be the least bit in doubt"!
Having a junior prince present, would send out a confusing picture: - "Did you notice Prince Joachim was there as well"? "Yeah, odd. Perhaps the Crown Prince is no longer a favourite of Margrethe"? "Hmm, might be a good idea to suck up to Joachim instead". Get the idea?

From those who go to a court it's also a statement: "Look at me. I went to a New Year Court. - Yep, that's how important and high up the ranks I am".

Last edited:
what does this event consist of?
apart from the queen and henrik, were frederik, joachim and marie there?
wait to see more pics... navy uniform again? ;-)

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

There was a brief segment on the 12.00 news and apart from Mary not being there and the presence of quite a number of Australian reporters, this court went ahead as usual.

Okay, in order to answer that question, we need to go back to the mindset people had when this tradition started, back in the time of Absolutism.

Joachim do not attend, because he is not the Crown Prince.

These courts (apart from the diplomatic and the court for the government) are for high ranking civil servants and military personel, who have this opportunity to say hi to their boss. Their boss is of course the Monarch, and the future boss is the Crown Prince, and it's good idea to greet both of them - and to let them get to know you are....

From the perspective of the Monarch it's also a statement: "Hi, I'm your boss. - This is my son, and he'll be your next boss. Just in case you should be the least bit in doubt"!
Having a junior prince present, would send out a confusing picture: - "Did you notice Prince Joachim was there as well"? "Yeah, odd. Perhaps the Crown Prince is no longer a favourite of Margrethe"? "Hmm, might be a good idea to suck up to Joachim instead". Get the idea?

From those who go to a court it's also a statement: "Look at me. I went to a New Year Court. - Yep, that's how important and high up the ranks I am".

perfectly explained, thank you.
i didn't know it was loaded with such a symbolism, i just thought it was something as an "innocent party" to celebrate the new year and that is why i was thinking that the junior prince and other members of the family would have attended as well. of course if it is a meeting between boss and employee, so to speak, joachim being there, or any other member of the family being there, simply does make sense.

:) Perhaps. But so far he has a few more tattooes than just the shark.
I dare not start to list them though, lest FasterB & Sternchen will start bullying me again. :p

Anyway, here is a neat little gallery from BT of the todays New Year Court: Den store nytårskur 2011 | www.bt.dk

Thank you Muhler. I have to say that the most impressive outfits are on the soldiers. I love their red capes.

Thank you Muhler. I have to say that the most impressive outfits are on the soldiers. I love their red capes.

You are welcome :)

I'm sure FasterB will agree with you. She has a tendecy to swoon at the sight of a Guards Hussar. ;)

You are welcome :)

I'm sure FasterB will agree with you. She has a tendecy to swoon at the sight of a Guards Hussar. ;)
Certainly I do :flowers: I have a weak point for the GHs :wub: :whistling: :wub:

well the uniform is dashing. especially with blue-eyed soldier... and now that i think of it, i remember a certain blue eyed prince cutting quite a swwoning figure donning the hussard uniform :p

Back
Top Bottom