Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan's Visit to Denmark: June 15-21, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prisma

Majesty
City
Bay Area
Country
United States
Japan's crown prince to visit Denmark in June - The Mainichi
Crown Prince Naruhito will visit Denmark from June 15 to 21 to commemorate 150 years of diplomatic ties, the government said Tuesday.

Denmark had requested a visit by both the crown prince and his wife Crown Princess Masako, but the crown princess will forgo accompanying her husband to reduce the burden on her, taking into account other duties scheduled in June, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

[...]

During his stay, the crown prince is expected to make a speech at an opening ceremony of an exhibition on Japan and attend a luncheon with Queen Margrethe II and a dinner with Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.

A visit to a school for people with intellectual disabilities and a windmill manufacturing plant are also planned.

[...]

Japans kronprins besøger Danmark i juni | BT Underholdning - www.bt.dk

The Japanese Crown Prince Naruhito will visit DK 15-21st June. It's an official visit marking the 150 years of diplomatic relations between our two countries.
During the visit Naruhito will visit QMII Amalienborg and have dinner with QMII and M&F.
Crown Prince Masako will not join her husband due to illness.

This info is not yet on the DRF website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see more events tied to the 150 year anniversary, of which Naruhito and Frederik are patron of.
The Crown Prince Couple of Denmark will be making an official visit to Japan in October. :flowers:

Information on this trip is now on the DRF website
H.K.H. Kronprinsen af Japan på besøg i Danmark | Kongehuset

"The 15th to 20th June 2017 is His Imperial Highness Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan visiting Denmark.

The visit takes place on the occasion of the celebration of the 150th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Denmark and Japan in 2017. The anniversary will be celebrated with a number of cultural events in Denmark and Japan. HRH Crown Prince of Denmark and HRH Crown Prince of Japan is a protector of the anniversary celebration.

In connection with the visit, H.M. The queen will host lunch at Fredensborg Castle on June 18th, and the Crown Prince couple will host a dinner in Frederik VIII's Palace, Amalienborg, June 19th.

A program for the royal family's participation in other program items will be published later." :flowers:

Now the official programme is published for Prince Naruhito's visit to Danmark.

And we can see how much Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary are taken over these years. Frederik & Mary will be the host and handle the visit. Queen Margrethe is host for a lunch, but otherwise the visit is handled only by Frederik and Mary

Crown Prince Frederik is also patron.

June 15, 2017
The Crown Prince of Japan arrives on official visit to Denmark on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the Danish-Japanese diplomatic relations.

The Crown Prince of Japan is received by the Crown Prince Couple in Copenhagen Airport.

June 16, 2017
The Crown Prince and the Crown Prince of Japan are present at the crusade in connection with the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Danish-Japanese diplomatic relations.
The castle, Copenhagen, at. 10:00.

Crown Prince and Crown Prince of Japan, opening the special exhibition "Japan in the Royal Palace".
Amalienborg Museum, Christian VIII's Palace, Copenhagen, at. 14:30

The Crown Prince Couple and Crown Prince of Japan are present at the Jubilee concert "Koto's harmonic sound".
The Playhouse, Copenhagen, at. 18.45.

June 18, 2017
The Queen is hosting a lunch for the Crown Prince of Japan with the participation of the Crown Prince Couple.
Fredensborg Castle, at. 13:30

June 19, 2017
The Crown Prince Couple are hosts at a dinner for H.R.H. Japanese Crown Prince.
Frederik VIII's Palace, Amalienborg, kl. 19.30.

June 20, 2017
The Crown Prince and the Crown Prince of Japan are visiting the State of Green.
H.C. Andersens Boulevard 18, Copenhagen V, at. 10.05.

Last edited:
Thanks, Roskilde. :flowers:

But on the 16th... Is crown Prince Naruhito to visit the Frogman Corps?!?
I don't think it would be politically palatable back in Japan if he went around visiting foreign special forces.
So I think that one only applies to Frederik.

But I see M&F will play a prominent role here as well.
That's of course by the protocol.

But M&F will be going to Japan later this year, to promote Danish (and very much Greenlandic) commerce. So they will no doubt see more of Naruhito later.
They already know him pretty well by now.

:previous:
You are right. The event with the Frogman Corps has nothing to do with the visit. Neither does the last event on the list.

CP Naruhito has several events on his own too, according to the press programme.

Last edited:
It must be lonely for him, having to go everywhere on his own.

Thanks Muhler and Nordic :flowers:

I have deleted that event (it's Frederiks seperate official events) and the programme should now be correct.

One more event for Crown Princess Mary has been added to the programme.
On Monday 20th she will attend a boat trip with the Crown Prince of Japan at 11.00 am.
Crown Prince Frederik has a other seperate official event at that time, so I guess Mary is stepping in for him :)

The Crown Prince had a press conference yesterday, where he spoke of the decision for Masako not to accompany him to Denmark:

Naruhito said that Masako had also been invited to visit Denmark, but that due to the demands of the trip as well as duties at home, the decision was made that he would go alone.

“Masako is continuing treatment and while taking care of her health is making efforts to carry out as much as possible, but she still has ups and downs in her condition so that what she can do — including foreign trips — cannot be expanded quickly,” he said. “At this point, it’s difficult to judge about future foreign travel.”

Crown Prince Naruhito says will devote his 'heart and soul' to job as emperor | The Japan Times

It must be lonely for him, having to go everywhere on his own.

Yes, and it is also very sad to hear of CP Masako's continuing "ups and downs" as Naruhito put it.

I expected the Akishinos to go to airport to see him off.. They did it on previous occasions..

Yes, and it is also very sad to hear of CP Masako's continuing "ups and downs" as Naruhito put it.
Masako's situation makes me so sad. And I'm always skeptical about the explanations: Is it truly medical or was the decision made for her?

I just hope this once vibrant woman finds peace, happiness and good health.

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

It's pretty windy today as you can tell from Naruhito's hair.
Nevertheless it's 17 degrees C right now, so it's T-shirt weather. :sun:

ADDED: BB article about the wreath-laying at Kastallet today. http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...-og-kronprins-naruhito-aerede-faldne-soldater

The issue of Japanese soldier taking part in international missions abroad is controversial in Japan. So far their engagement has been very much in the background with very little risk of exchanging fire with anyone. When Japan started taking part in peacekeeping missions not that many year ago, two fatalities caused quite a stir in Japan.
The current Japanese government seeks to change the Constitution enabling Japanese soldier in taking a much active and indeed offensive part in international missions.
Denmark has a long history for such missions and the way we honor our fallen is of interest in Japan, who may soon find themselves in a similar situation.

Last edited:
Kronprins Frederik imponerede kronprins Naruhito med bue og pil | BILLED-BLADET

Today, Naruhito and Frederik visited the Japan-exhibition at Amalienborg. One of the items displayed is a bow, presented to Frederik at a visit to Japan in 2005.
The traditional Japanese Kyodo-bow is very peculiar looking, because it's a very long bow (not a longbow though) used from horseback. Frederik amazed his host back then by hitting the bulls eye.
Frederik at least beforehand used to have a certificate to hunt with a bow, which is pretty difficult to obtain in DK!

Masako's situation makes me so sad. And I'm always skeptical about the explanations: Is it truly medical or was the decision made for her?

I just hope this once vibrant woman finds peace, happiness and good health.
I know this may not be the place
But I have been long skeptical of the explanations concerning Masako. ?Many women have struggled with adapting to royal life. For example, the late Diana had a terrible time with it initially. She was ill-prepared and lacked the intelligence for the role. Even so Diana adapted and just got on with it and later learned to love her duties and got deeply involved with her charities. Masako knew what she was getting into and is a very intelligent and smart woman. I am baffled by how after all these years things haven't more or less changed.[emoji19]
How is it that she cannot adapt and cope with the demands of her role (especially with a seemingly supportive husband like Naruhito).
I find it difficult to belief the IHA has total control over the situation. Surely they would want an active and involved Crown Princess that would be pride to the people and the imperial family.

If the fatigue reports are true, then I would imagine the IHA could space out Masako's engagements. For example instead of 5 per week let it be 2 per week. If there is a big trip coming up (ie, this current one to Denmark). Let there be no engagements for Masako in the week leading up to the visit.

Heck, if things were done right and strategically Masako could have long suffered without public knowledge because she is carrying out her duties.

It doesn't make any sense really. Which is a shame as Masako seems like an intelligent woman with much to offer.

Kronprins Frederik imponerede kronprins Naruhito med bue og pil | BILLED-BLADET

Today, Naruhito and Frederik visited the Japan-exhibition at Amalienborg. One of the items displayed is a bow, presented to Frederik at a visit to Japan in 2005.
The traditional Japanese Kyodo-bow is very peculiar looking, because it's a very long bow (not a longbow though) used from horseback. Frederik amazed his host back then by hitting the bulls eye.
Frederik at least beforehand used to have a certificate to hunt with a bow, which is pretty difficult to obtain in DK!
I remember that trip to Japan very well. CP Frederik also hit the bullseye then. What a wonderful sentiment to the trip over 10 years later.
http://www.gettyimages.com/event/da...and-at-the-japanese-art-of-picture-id52647980

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary's fashion choices these past two years or so have been a bit odd. Of course this well advised icon of style never looks really bad, but I miss seeing more colour on her and somehow midi length, off the shoulder choices and curls in her hair... end up making her look a bit blah.

I understand the skepticism but we'll never know what's exactly going on. Yes, Diana and Michiko recovered from their issues but some people never fully recover; some plateau at a level of recovery and having a supportive husband may not be enough. Naruhito defended his wife once publicly and that did not end well.

The IHA is spacing out Masako's events. Same as Denmark, she didn't go to Malaysia with Naruhito in April because the IHA decided "to reduce the burden on her", focusing on events at home. April had the Spanish state visit, spring garden party, and Aiko's school events. I don't know what events are planned for her in June but apparently those are more achievable. Masako has made progress in recent years; several "attends event for first time in 7, 13, etc. years" yet there was a relapse last fall.

Sometimes I wonder if the IHA/medical team are being too cautious. I don't know what's better (or worse?) - declining the invitation or sending Masako where she might only attend a few items on the agenda? When she and Naruhito visited Tonga in 2015, she was only scheduled for the coronation and luncheon. Her joining a meeting with expats was unexpected. I believe both Malaysia and Denmark have busier agendas than Tonga.

Anyway, back to Denmark:
Japan crown prince appreciates Denmark's post-disaster support - The Mainichi
Japan's crown prince on Friday visited a monument in Copenhagen commemorating international contributions by Danish officials and soldiers and extended appreciation to those who visited Japan in support following the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami that devastated the country's northeast.

Crown Prince Naruhito, the heir to the Japanese throne, and Danish Crown Prince Frederik visited the monument on which destination countries under Danish missions, including Japan, as well as names of soldiers who perished during such missions are inscribed.

The 57-year-old Japanese crown prince expressed gratitude in a meeting with Danish officials who were sent to the disaster-affected areas.

[…]

The exhibition, held in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of diplomatic ties between the two countries, showcases items related to the Danish royal family's long-term relationship with Japan, including paper-folding gifts from children in Higashimatsuyama, a northeastern Japan city hit hard by the disaster, to Danish Crown Prince Frederik who visited there in June 2011.

[…]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=licvsjHOtX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3lp5yg435A

Mary's fashion choices these past two years or so have been a bit odd. Of course this well advised icon of style never looks really bad, but I miss seeing more colour on her and somehow midi length, off the shoulder choices and curls in her hair... end up making her look a bit blah.

This may be OT, but agree with you. The styles these days aren't that great, especially in evening wear. Have you seen the dress that CP Victoria wore to the Polar Music Awards? It looks like it's made from wrapping paper! Mary may be going through a conservative phase, or opting for comfort rather than style.

Back
Top Bottom