Counts Ingolf (b. 1940) and Christian (1942-2013) of Rosenborg and Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where the Rosenborg owners of Sorgenfri also or Count Christian Children.
JR76 what do you know about Countess Sussie ?

Where the Rosenborg owners of Sorgenfri also or Count Christian Children.
JR76 what do you know about Countess Sussie ?
The Rosenborgs and before them their parents Prince Knud and Princess Caroline-Amalia didn't own Sorgenfri, but were allowed to live there by the Danish monarchs.

Countess Sussie, born Hjorhøy Pedersen, is a lawyer who moved her own law practice from Copenhagen to Jutland when she married Count Ingolf.

https://www.bt.dk/navne/grev-ingolf-skal-flytte-fra-sit-gods-det-bliver-svaert

Count Ingolf is moving from his estate, Egeland (Oak-land), where he has lived since 1956.
At age 82, he can't cope with the stairs anymore. He is also suffering from KOL.

So he will be moving into an newly build house, on a ground that used to be a part of the estate. The move will take place this month.
That means the estate will be sold.
With his is his wife, Countess Sussie.

He gave an interview about this to a local paper, and this BT article is a summary of that interview.
The local paper asked him how it felt when he lost his royal title. Ingolfs reply was: "You sure had to get used to that."

BT obviously phoned him to ask his opinion of what is going on within the DRF.
He will not elaborate on how it was when he lost his title. Claiming that he has forgotten all about how it felt and he nevertheless pretty satisfied with his life. It's been a good life.

But apart from that: "No, I have no comments to that. It's their life up there. Or rather down there."

- Count Ingolf has a good relationship with the DRF, in fact he was the first and perhaps the only Rosenborg to seek reconciliation. Because the family was very bitter after 1953.
He also has a good relationship with Joachim. Probably a little better than with Frederik. - After all for year Count Ingolf and Joachim lived fairly close to each other and they must have frequented the same circles professionally and socially in Jutland.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a smart way to avoid becoming part of the debate.

What does KOL mean? What is he suffering from?

It's COPD, I think. Which would explain why stairs are getting difficult, and apparently runs in the family. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/copd/symptoms-causes/syc-20353679

He definitely seems to take after his Uncle Rico health-wise if so.

And I feel bad that people were trying to suck him into the current mess by bringing up his prior pain. He seems to have learned to deal with it all very gracefully, but the culture was quite different 70 years ago.

It is a relief that the move went so smoothly for Ingolf and that he has settled in well in their new home - which is pretty big, considering they are two elderly persons.
It's often the case that elderly when first uprooted, simply waste away and die.

And it's a sound design that Ingolf doesn't have to go upstairs at all, unless he really feels like it.

Will ther sell the furniture they don't need to Bruun Rasmussen ?

Some items will be sold at auctions, some will be donated to the scouts and the rest will be discarded.

Keep in mind that their current house is pretty big and if they are hardly going to use the first floor, there will be plenty of room for storage.

The Egeland estate has been sold, Count Ingolf and Countess Sussie of Rosenborg have announced.

"It was sold in January, but is only available to the buyer on 1 April. So there is still plenty of time. But we only need a little clean-up" explained Countess Sussie, "We are happy and satisfied to have sold our property to a really nice family. And we are looking forward to having them as neighbours":

** BB article: Grev ingolf og grevinde Sussie deler kæmpe nyhed: Nu er godset solgt **

I wonder why the sold it,part of downsizing?

:previous: The article is interesting albeit IMO mistaken.

Prince Knud and as such Count Ingolf were hardly cheated, their line was instead voted out by democratic vote.
We can of course discuss whether that is fair, but it's actually more consistent with Danish royal practice than automatically inheriting the throne, which has "only" been the rule for less than 350 years. For the remaining 650++ years of the Danish monarchy the kings were elected by vote.

In reality that vote (or rather political support/pledge) was decided way before it actually took place. In fact I don't know of historical instances where someone voted against (or more correctly spoke) against the new king. If you were against the new king, you either ducked and covered, went into exile, rebelled or assassinated the king.

So what happened before Absolutism was introduced in 1660 was that a new king gathered enough support to ensure he could be crowned. Then he toured the realm (which he did for the rest of his life BTW, there was no capital until well into the 1400s) meeting up with assemblies of local freemen, local nobility, yeomanry and burghers who met and pledged their allegiance to their new king. I.e. voted for him so to speak. In a similar manner as these very same assemblies voted when handling all sorts of local administrative matters.
Denmark didn't really become feudal until well into the 1300s and not for real until after the Feud of the Count in the 1530s, which was also the last public rebellion in DK by ordinary people. Prior to that people would and did take up arms at the drop of a hat.
And these pretty democratic assemblies were basically abolished in 1660 when the king took over all power in the land. But before Absolutism was introduced in DK, a Parliamentary system like in England was very much considered.
Because royals all over Europe were well aware of what went on in other kingdoms and the pro and cons of having a parliament against a king with absolute power was very much debated and considered. After all royals were usually educated to the limit of their intellect and interests and many if not most were just as idealist, in their way, as royals are today.
For example: Henry VIII was very well educated and informed, he was also very much an idealist. That he ended up becoming a tyrant is an interesting but hardly unique story.

But back to Denmark. If the new king already had a son, he made sure that son was acknowledged as the legal heir by these same assemblies. Otherwise he would soon after his first son was born, travel the realm to make sure his newborn was presented to and acknowledged as the heir by the local assemblies.

- So what happened in 1953 was the modern, democratic, equivalent of the high lords of DK and especially the local assemblies rejecting Prince Knud's firstborn son as the heir (and as such also Prince Knud himself) in favor of the eldest daughter of King Frederik IX.
So Danes in 1253 might have found the process in 1953 peculiar and interesting, but they would not have found it sensational or even particular novel.

BTW: These assemblies were called Stænderforsamlinger = assemblies of representatives of various strata of the society: Nobility, peasantry (who owned their land, that is) clergy and burghers. - Naturally that did not include women, servants, peasant who did not own land, young people and poor. That goes without saying. The mere thought is laughable. ?
But the previous name is perhaps more familiar to you: Ting.
That word is still in use today more than a thousand years later, in say the name of the Danish Parliament: Folketinget = The People's Assembly.

--------------

The new home of Count Ingolf is more than 400 square meters, with the upper floor not being used by him, so I don't think lack of room is that big a concern. IMO it's more a question of there not being immediate heirs so why not sell things? And perhaps the DRF will buy some of it, so it remains in the family?

And finally while Ingolf has lived a pretty comfortable life I would not call it a life of luxury. I don't think such a life would really appeal to him to be honest. I think he was for the most part pretty content with the life he got. And his dynasty would end with him anyway...

Last edited:
I wonder why the couple decided to sell off their former farm (and personal items) rather than bequeathing them to family members as most noble families still seem to do.

I wonder why the couple decided to sell off their former farm (and personal items) rather than bequeathing them to family members as most noble families still seem to do.
Egeland is not a family estate and it's anyway most likely that none of the Count's nieces would have wanted to take over. They all live normal middle-class lives in the Copenhagen area.
Regarding personal items we have no idea how the Count and Countess plan to divide their estate when the time comes, but from what we know the three sisters have sold a large part of what they inherited from their aunt, parents and grandparents. Much of what was left from their grandparents' estate after the most valuable objects had been sold at auction was sold by the sisters themselves at a garage sale.

Last edited:
The auction will start again in a few minutes, and so will the live coverage.
Three items have so far been sold.

- I might place a bid for a snow-shovel, if there is one up for auction. A nasty little blizzard is going to hit us in about two hours. :igloo:⛄

:previous: Alas. ?

The auctioneer, Alexa Bruun Rasmussen, 48, is the daughter of Jesper Bruun Rasmussen, who after 68 years retired today. So is his daughter.
The family business has been sold, so she will focus on charity.
A very presentable lady, eh? - Married and mother to a son.
She is to the end of this auction, the only female auctioneer in DK.

:previous:That explains the ginormous floral bouquets, hugs and kisses and a toast with wine glasses. The daughter Alexa did have an amazing presence. Once again Muhler, thanks for that extra bit of info.:flowers:

Count ingolf and Countess Sussie did attend the first confirmation.
A close Family !

Count Ingolf is a man I have a lot of respect for.

He is a decent man, who in contrast to most of his family, didn't harbor ill feelings towards Frederik IX's family (perhaps with the exception of Queen Ingrid, but that's a question I will probably never learn the answer to) nor much bitterness about being bypassed as the future king.

He also tried, and succeeded, in establishing a good relationship with QMII and her children. - Again in contrast to his family, who for certainly for many years, perhaps always, had a lot of resentment towards Frederik IX and his family.
Perhaps in particular building a good relationship with Joachim. Count Ingolf knew first hand how it was to be, if not vilified, then at least resented by a considerable segment of the population. - Joachim for his personality and Count Ingolf for his looks, which of course means that he is stupid.

Which he isn't. I dare claim he was the brains in his branch of the family. I don't know how intelligent he is, but I doubt he was back in the queue when they handed brains out.

But more importantly to me at least, he is a good man. I would be very flattered if my tombstone reads that here lies a good man.
He has never exploited his situation or position. He has always lived a quiet, unassuming life and by all accounts he is well liked and well respected by those who know him. He has never complained or whined about his destiny and while being often very honest in his interviews, he has always been balanced and never vented any grudges towards QMII and her family, he might have had deep inside. He has also shown an understanding for QMII and her position.
That's wisdom.

His father, Prince Knud, was basically sacked by the Danes, because they didn't like him (and his wife) and considered him dim and unsuited - my impression is that I would tend to agree on that one.
He, Ingolf and his siblings, were also sacked by the public for being their father's children, for being ugly and awkward in public - and therefore stupid.
That would have hurt! A lot! - But it would also given him a personal ballast and wisdom, I'm sure.
Had Ingolf been king today, it is of course difficult to say whether he would have been a better or worse king than QMII, who despite her flaws is immensely respected and has managed to turn the monarchy into a very solid and highly popular institution. Helped very much by formidable daughters-in-law of course, but still. However, I think Ingolf would not have been the worst king we could have got. His wisdom and abilities to look beyond himself and his own (no doubt often hurt) feelings and willingness to reach out would have been very useful traits for any monarch.

- A big what if, and very much based on my subjective impressions of him.

Last edited:
Beautifully stated, Muhler. Ingolf's experience with bigoted vilification and his choice to react with nothing but dignity and kindness would surely have presaged a compassionate and worthy reign as king.

Interesting that he said he has heard the queen appreciates the work he and his wife carry out in Jylland particularly since Prince Joachim no longer lives there, and the fact that locals still refer to him as Prince Ingolf.

I had no idea that count Ingolf and countess Sussie met each other when the latter was involved as an estate lawyer when dividing the estate of Ingolf's late mother.

See: silver wedding celebration

Back
Top Bottom