Counts Ingolf (b. 1940) and Christian (1942-2013) of Rosenborg and Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
One mutual thread for the younger branch of the Rosenborgs

I found an old interview from BT with the twin daughters of Count Christian: Camilla and Josephine. kvinder.bt.dk: Vi kan ikke være alene

Some salient points:
* They mention that they have problems being on their own, because they're so used to being two all the time. Their younger sister, Feodora, is much more independent than them.

* They slept in the same bed until they were 16, and were dressed alike by their mother.

* They live 5 km apart, see each other every day, and talk on the phone.

* They're still mistaken for each other by co-workers, or other friends.

The interview was connected to a series about being twins (hence, the content.

Can you please explain me who they are?
Many thanks!

Count Ingolf is the man who would have been king today if the Danish constitution hadn't been changed in 1953. He's the oldest son of Prince Knud of Denmark, the younger brother of King Frederik IX. He receives money from the Danish state as a compensation of 1,3 million Danish kroner (for the loss of the kingdom :whistling:), and has various patronages: Landsgardeforeningen, Genforenings-og Grænsemuseet, Sydslesvigsk Udvalg, Julemærkemarchen, Scouts in Southern Schleswig, Dansk Piano samling… He owns Egeland farm, close by Vejle.

Count Christian is his younger brother. Feodora, Camilla and Josephine are his daughters.

Both Ingolf and Christian married commoners, and therefore lost their place in the succession to the Danish throne, and the title Prince of Denmark.

Their older sister Princess Elisabeth hasn't married (commoner or otherwise), and thusly is still in line to the Danish throne, as the last person on the list.

countess Feodora, youngest daughter of Count Christian and Her Fiancee are expecting their first child in Febuary 2009.

they plan to wed on September 9 2008

Lovely family! Congratulations to them! I love the name Caroline-Mathilde.

Count Christian of Rosenborg has been hospitalised:
Noblesse & Royautés

This has been confirmed by the Royal Family. The Count has been suffering from cancer.

I am sad to see him so ill. He was not at Prince Henrik's christening altough his older brother Ingolf and his wife were there, so I wonder at which celebration this picture of Noblesse et Royautés was taken ?

today count Ingolf of Rosenborg turns 70. He was born prince of denmark ond would have been king today if the danish constitution wasn't changed in 1953.

Pictures and information from Count Ingolf and Count Sussie's joint 70th/60th birthday parties a few weeks ago:
Google Translate

Pictures and information from Count Ingolf and Count Sussie's joint 70th/60th birthday parties a few weeks ago:
Google Translate

Doesn´t anybody have the wedding picture of Count Ingolf and Countess Sussie? Have any pictures ever been released?
Thank you very much in advance for any help

Wonderful pictures of the party. :)
Its beautiful they celebrated their birthdays together.

today count Ingolf of Rosenborg turns 70. He was born prince of denmark ond would have been king today if the danish constitution wasn't changed in 1953.

If the constitution had not been changed, who would have been the heir to the Danish throne today since (hypothetical) His Majesty King Ingolf has no children with Her Majesty Queen Susie or his late Queen.

I do not know; I believe that I read somewhere that one of the reasons that Count Ingolf was bypassed was due to his inability to have children. There were others, not to pleasant to mention. I believe that Ingolf, Elisabeth and Christians parents were first cousins.

Please correct me if I am wrong and elaborate if my memory serves me correctly. I can't recall exactly where I read it; probably on this board.

If the constitution had not been changed, who would have been the heir to the Danish throne today since (hypothetical) His Majesty King Ingolf has no children with Her Majesty Queen Susie or his late Queen.
The only direct descendants from that family would then be the twin girls Camilla and Josephine and their younger sister Fedora - children of prince Ingolf's younger brother Christian. So they wouldn't have 'avoided' female succession even if they hadn't changed the constitution ;)

You can see pictures of them here Billed-Bladet - Billeder: De tre komtesser af Rosenborg

The only direct descendants from that family would then be the twin girls Camilla and Josephine and their younger sister Fedora - children of prince Ingolf's younger brother Christian. So they wouldn't have 'avoided' female succession even if they hadn't changed the constitution ;)

You can see pictures of them here Billed-Bladet - Billeder: De tre komtesser af Rosenborg

The Rosenborg girls (especially the twins) has a special taste in clothes and in the christening picture they look quite funny, to put it mildly...;)

Doesn´t anybody have the wedding picture of Count Ingolf and Countess Sussie? Have any pictures ever been released?
Thank you very much in advance for any help

There must be some wedding photos, but I don't remember seeing any in the public domain. They married at a civil ceremony and it was all very discreet!

Viv

Does anyone know what kind of relationship does Queen Margrethe have with Ingolf and Christian?
And does anybody know the reaction of Knud when Frederitck decided to change the law of succession?

Does anyone know what kind of relationship does Queen Margrethe have with Ingolf and Christian?
And does anybody know the reaction of Knud when Frederitck decided to change the law of succession?
The first half I can´t answer, but the second one (which I highlighted) I can answer:
Just to make clear it was not King Frederik IX, who decided to change the law of succesion. It was the government and the people.
I´m sure Muhler can tell more :flowers:

Yes, I know that this was the result of a plebiscite or something like that, but I think it comes from the King. Thank you:)
It is very interesting to know what was thes attitude of Knud to this fact

Last edited:
Does anyone know what kind of relationship does Queen Margrethe have with Ingolf and Christian??
From what we see in magazines and on TV: The brothers are normally invited along to family events like the 'big' birthdays and anniversaries. Christian more often so than Ingolf, because he lives in the Copenhagen area! I don't think it's a particularly close relationship, but a relationship it is!

King Frederik never decided to change the law of succession; the Danish parliament did;)! Anyway, Knud didn't take it well at all and the relationship between Knud and King Frederik deteriorated! Each of Knud's three children have told this publicly, but they insist in being very civil about it and letting bygoing be bygones.

viv

Viv,Thank you for your answer.
Q: People voted for change in the law. Does a king? Why did it started a poll?
Q2: Why do not people support the Knud? What did he do wrong?

And more
I read on the forum that he was stupid, and so people did not want to see him as a king. Is it like this :: (

Last edited by a moderator:
Q: People voted for change in the law. Does a king? Why did it started a poll?

The change of the law of succession became a issue when King Frederik didn't have any sons and he needed a successor, I believe.

Q2: Why do not people support the Knud? What did he do wrong?

I can't say if people didn't like Knud and his family, but I have no reason to believe they disliked the family in any way. I guess it just seemed more right to let Margrethe, the eldest daughter of the regent, follow in her father's footsteps.

Archduchess Zelia,but why is Margrethe?
You write that the law was not changed by the will of the king, but by the will of the people. But why Knud? Why did this no one thought?
Why law has not changed before?
I did feel very sorry about him, I think it's terrible to grow and know that you will become king, and then lose it all: (

Archduchess Zelia,but why is Margrethe?
You write that the law was not changed by the will of the king, but by the will of the people. But why Knud? Why did this no one thought?
Why law has not changed before?
I did feel very sorry about him, I think it's terrible to grow and know that you will become king, and then lose it all: (

Because Margrethe was the King's daughter and Knud was "just" his brother. I believe some people voted no to Margrethe, but overall most people wanted her to be her father's successor.

I don't think Knud grew up to think he was to become King, I believe everyone thought that King Frederik and Queen Ingrid would have a son, but since they didn't it was chosen by the Danes that Margrethe should be the heir.

The counts are sons of hereditary prince knud so are they and their families still able to attend royal events.

The counts are sons of hereditary prince knud so are they and their families still able to attend royal events.

Yes, and they have been guests at the royal weddings of Joachim & Frederik, and the QMII's birthday and jubilee celebrations.

The answers to your questions Alira are pretty complicated and also shrowded somewhat in hearsay.

It became clear by the late 1940's that King Frederik and Queen Ingrid would not have more children. Queen Ingrid was actually warned against having more children IRRC.
By the same time the political landscape has shifted. The Communists had won a huge victory after WWII, partly as a reaction to the stablished parties policy of collaboration with German until 1943.
The future of the monarchy was by no means secure, even if the royals themselves were personally well liked.
It wasn't just King Christian X riding through the streets of Copenhagen, who became a strong national symbol - also among those who vote Communist. Also the then CP couple, Frederik and Ingrid, with their little family became strong symbols during WWII. Margrethe who was born a few days after the German occupation wasn't for anything described as "a light in the dark".
In other words many were against the monarchy as an establishment, but there were nevertheless many feelings for the individuals in the DRF.
Queen Ingrid and King Frederik was a likable, nice family. That is one of the reasons why M&F are so much compared to them.

But according to the Law of Succession, Princess Margrethe was to be bypassed by Prince Knud's children.
Prince Knud was for whatever reason not particular popular and at least among those I have spoken with, who were around at the time, he and his children were not considered very bright. I don't know if that is true, but that was certainly the perception.
And perhaps even more convincing, they are not the most beautiful people around either.

So the arguments were:
A) Should such persons represent Denmark as the first family, when we have a better alternative?
B) It's unfair against Princess Margrethe and her family.
C) Why shouldn't women have equal rights to a position?
D) It's time for a change of the Constitution anyway, let's link it to something popular and something that will get people to go and vote.

That caused Prince Knud to be very dissapointed, very understandebly perhaps and it let to a lot of resentment towards King Frederik.
That seems to have passed now. Prince Knud's children are not close to the DRF but they are not alien either.
Joachim and Prince Ingolf for example have en excellent relationship.

I heard from elder family members that it was generally believed at the time that queen Ingrid advocated the change in the succession intensely and that there was some resentment on Knud's part against her for this - that this was the impression people had.

Funny thing is - if Knud and his children had entered the succession: Ingolf has had no children, his older sister has never married and had children. The only children in that family are the three girls of the youngest brother Christian - twin girls and a younger sister.

So, if the purpose of any pro Knud camp was to avoid female succession they would only have postponed the 'inevitable' for one generation.

Back
Top Bottom