The Family of Countess Alexandra - The Manleys

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the BT article is definitely speculative in the biggest "if" way. There is a lot of supposition going on there.
Sorry, but i just dont see that...

I don't understand how they can assume it's Marie's fault either. But I am not surprised that the articles point the finger at her, because doesn't the woman, or the new wife, usually get the blame? Sometimes the blame is deserved, but not always, and it's fair to say that Marie is not in a very powerful position at this point. The idea of her wielding this much power over this situation is, I think, giving her too much credit.

Again, I dont really see whatyou are talking about. The article mentions nothing about Marie or anthing like that, itisnt even implied between the lines...I think it is either a language thing- i dont now if you read Danish - or perhaps ou are simply seeing ghosts and seeing what you want to see.

But I agree with Lilla and stand by what I have already said; the article does not blame Marie in any way, shape or form.

Alexandra's mother's last name Nowotny( Polish) means "Newman when translated.

Is it also spelled Novotny. I just wonder if these are the same names. Is it a common or not-so common Polish family name?

Not Politiken guys. Alexandras forældre: Joachim er sød mod os - royalt There, Marie mentioned second paragraph. Thanks. Bye.

I won't say anymore about this.... because obviously I'm not as informed as any of you.

You are right: Marie is mentioned in this article in connection with a hypothetical question. This question is about whether she will be able to live with Alexandras parents next door or not. I don't read the article as her making any problems. It is simply af question founded on curiousity.

Sorry, but i just dont see that...

But I agree with Lilla and stand by what I have already said; the article does not blame Marie in any way, shape or form.

I agree that the Politiken article does not blame Marie - but the BT article (from June this summer) that was also posted poses (directly or indirectly) the question of what will happen to the Manleys when Marie moves in:
Can the dark, French beauty deal with having the parents of Joachim's ex-wife living so close, if she one day moves in at Schackenborg?

It is not blaming Marie. (How can it, when Marie had no official status at Schackenborg or in Denmark at the point?) It is, however, as CasiraghiTrio pointed out, speculative in what Marie's reaction to having the ex-in-laws as neighbours.

It will be interesting to see where in the world the Manley's end up.
An article posted here tells us this:
Princess Alexandra's parents, Christa and Richard Manley moved permanently into a flat on the first floor of the driver's residence at Schackenborg Manor this year [2002]. They are both EU citizens and prefer life as retired in Europe.

So I wasn't blaming Marie either. I just misunderstood the context because my understanding of Danish sucks. Does someone know about my Novotny question?

But I should thank you guys for clarifying the context. No sense or fairness in pointing a finger at a writer for "blaming" someone when it's not really the case. They were just speculating that it might bother Marie if the Manleys stay after the marriage, not saying she has a stated or verified personal opinion or anything like that. So thanks. I'm sorry for being such a pain in the you know where. Yesterday was a crap day and today is pretty much turning out that way too.... I gotta turn this around....

Last edited:
So I wasn't blaming Marie either. I just misunderstood the context because my understanding of Danish sucks. Does someone know about my Novotny question?

I'm sorry for being such a pain in the you know where. Yesterday was a crap day and today is pretty much turning out that way too.... I gotta turn this around....

I never read your posts as if you were blaming Marie - only that you had misunderstood the articles because they were written in danish:flowers:

So you are not a pain in the.......! Actually I find it quit amasing that you can read an article written in danish. Not getting everething compleatly right is ok and undertandeble as you don't live in Denmark:flowers:

Well, Danish is difficult for me. I don't know why. I mean, it's a germanic language like English, and German is not as difficult for me. Even Russian and French are not nearly so difficult for me as Danish. But I never formally studied Danish and that must be the reason. I studied French and Russian in school and intend to study more of both of them. I want to travel in Denmark very much and think perhaps with a little time in Denmark, I might be able to understand the language at last. :flowers:

BTW, I am hoping that "Novotny" is a rare Polish family name, because it is the name of my best pal, and she might be a cousin of Alexandra. :D It's interesting because she (my friend) is a virtual clone of Crown Princess Victoria (we often joke about this).

Last edited:
Is it also spelled Novotny. I just wonder if these are the same names. Is it a common or not-so common Polish family name?

I think it´s quite a common name. Alexandra´s mother is Austrian with Polish heritage. There are also Germans calling Nowotny. The spelling way of Novotny, I guess, is an adaptation to the English pronunciation when they emmigrate to USA or Canada etc. Or maybe the spelling way of Nowotny is an adaptation to the German pronunciation when they move to Austria or Germany. I am not sure. We should see how it is pronounced originally in Polish. I know a Polish girl calling Sylwia. It´s equivalence of Sylvia in English. So maybe it´s more likely that Novotny is an adapted form.
Manley is also a common name in Great Britain, I guess.

Last edited:
Thank you, Heike. I am sure that Manley is also fairly common.
Actually, on the subject of "common" names, there is a funny editor's letter in this month's (US) Vanity Fair, in which editor Graydon Carter talks about how many hits various US politicians receive in name databases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this thread.. :heart: thanks a lot. I love Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg; she will always be a Princess for me. :crown3:.

BTW, I am hoping that "Novotny" is a rare Polish family name, because it is the name of my best pal, and she might be a cousin of Alexandra. :D It's interesting because she (my friend) is a virtual clone of Crown Princess Victoria (we often joke about this).

The earliest known Nowotny ancestor of Countess Alexandra, whose residence was known, was Ferdinand Nowotny, born in 1794 and died in 1861 in Wien.

This Ferdinand Nowotny was married to Karoline Zwilling von Teschenthal (1808-1885).

This Karoline was daughter of certain Baron Vincenz Zwilling(died in 1855) and Caroline von Teschenthal(1788-1855).

I found that this Vincenz Zwilling was "Administrator of all Goods of Archduke Franz Karl, jubilierter and Emeritus Director of the Directorate."

They were the owners of Palace Rajsko:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Palace_in_Rajsko

This is the article about the palace, restoration and previous owners, in Polish:

https://gazetakrakowska.pl/tajemnic...iel-chce-przywrocic-mu-dawny-blask/ar/9913476

Ferdinand Nowotny and Karoline Zwilling von Teschenthal had a son, Karl Ferdinand Vincenz Nowotny(1836-1881) who married Elisabeth Lauter von Lauterbach(born in 1832) from Hungary.

They all were ancestors of Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg. It seems she has some noble ancestry after all.

Last edited:
This Ferdinand Nowotny was married to Karoline Zwilling von Teschenthal (1808-1885).

This Karoline was daughter of certain Baron Vincenz Zwilling(died in 1855) and Caroline von Teschenthal(1788-1855).

I found that this Vincenz Zwilling was "Administrator of all Goods of Archduke Franz Karl, jubilierter and Emeritus Director of the Directorate."

And it seems that this Caroline von Teschenthal (1788-1855) was daughter of Johann Kastner, Edler von Teschenthal.

This Johann, Edler von Teschenthal was officially "Administrator der herzogl. Kanneralgüter"(if someone knows the exact translation) in Duchy of Teschen, which may explain why his son in law Baron Vincenz Zwilling(died in 1855) also "inherited" the position of his father in law as "Administrator", but this time "of all Goods of Archduke Franz Karl."

Back
Top Bottom