Countess Alexandra and Martin Jørgensen to Separate: September 8, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must say that I've always thought Alexandra, Joakim and the rest of DRF handled that divorce very well and so far Alexandra seems set on doing the same with her second one as well. By doing a short but quite frank interview and not hiding from the public I'm sure she minimises any media hunts. While not royal anymore she's still a very classy lady and very respectful to DRF and with that her sons position in the Danish society.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Poor Felix.
He looks like he'd rather vanish down a hole.

If there is one major loser in all of this, he is.
Nikolai is away among friends at a boarding school and he is older and perhaps closer to his father.
But Felix, who has visibly always been very fond of Martin. Now he has lost his bonus-dad, because I don't think Martin is going to drop by Alexandra's house very often now.

I always find the reactions to an older woman with a younger man rather curious. The other way around is completely normal and accepted (I don't remember simular remarks about the present king and queen of the Belgians for example). But if the woman is older, a relationship is doomed from the start, the man is a toyboy who is maintained by his wife (wives living of their husbands money seems completely normal and in some cases encouraged), the countess was naive, a divorce is not a surprise etc etc. As if we are still living in 1965.

I do not know much about this couple and what was stated may have been the case, but there are a lot of relationships that do work despite a substantial age difference or where the woman provides the largest part of the income.

The statement of the countess is remarkable indeed and leaves the door open to all sorts of speculations. A simple 'we grew apart' would have been more than enough. Since a divorce is never a happy occassion I find the gloating and the jokes rather misplaced.

I think, the divorce rate being what it is, it's not a huge surprise when ANY couple splits up, sadly. IMO if there's anything atypical about a couple - an age difference where the woman is significantly older being one of them - people will point to that as the reason for the split, (whereas not too many people will make the same comments about the many, many break ups involving older men and the young women they can no longer satisfy).

I suspect Alexandra was more direct in her statement than she may have otherwise preferred because of whatever Martin's been up to that made her kick him out in the first place. If it's going to come out over the next couple of months that he's been doing things he shouldn't, (heavy partying, other women, whatever), then it makes no sense for her to say they just grew apart.

If there is bad blood between Alexandra and Martin Jørgensen, this could turn ugly: Ekspert afslører smuthul i loven: Sådan kan Martin få del i Alexandras formue - Royale | www.bt.dk

There is a loophole in the law regarding marriages with separate property.
If one part (in this case Alexandra) has a fortune that is way higher than the other part (Martin) then he can sue Alexandra for "separate property compensation".
There are no fixed rules in that regards and usually such cases ends in a settlement before reaching the court.

While Martin's fortune is, at least at present, unknown. There are some qualified guesses to Alexandra's fortune.
She owns a house worth 18 million DKK with an equity of some 10 million DKK. On top of that the couple (or one of them) owns two houses in Turkey.
Additional assets are not mentioned but the general view is that Alexandra has a fortune that is a good deal higher than Martin's.

Last edited:
I must confess that I'm surprised at how much coverage and how big an interest there is in this divorce, not least since (or perhaps because of) there is a massive coverage of the migrant crisis in the news.

Right now everyone and everything is being asked to comment on why the divorce takes place. Including a couple's-therapeut. I include him because as a local celeb-therapeut he may have heard rumors which are being hinted in this interview.
Another one who was asked yesterday, was an old "friend" of Martin, who was taken by surprise, but since it was a month or two since the two spoke he can't be a particular close friend, so I ignore what people like he has to say.

Parterapeut: Derfor gik det galt mellem Alex og Martin - Royale | www.bt.dk
Here is what the therapeut has to say:
He basically puts it down to the age difference and a need by Martin to have a fun time.
"If you are to be nasty and very black and white, women's value on the market drops when they become older than 40, while men in the late 30's are highly sought after.
A 37 year old man is still a young man, while a 51 year old woman is very mature. That means his value on the market is peaking right now, while she has gone down-hill for a long time"
The therapeut, Martin Østergaard, adds that many men only consider themselves adults and and ready for children when they are around 40. But Alexandra is a neat, lovely and well groomed woman.

He ain't buying the thing about separating due to different basic values:
"Translated it means that Martin has begun to go to town/go downtown. He has begun to live a life that is not compatible to a comfortable and quiet family life. It smells big time of her being disappointed or sad that he has begun to live a life for himself. But it's natural that when you have been together for ten years that you develop in different directions. You may begin to negotiate and meet, but still it doesn't work out".

Then there are the children.
"Presumably he still feels like going out and nail it to the floor, while she perhaps would rather like to have a cozy time at home with a book. He may be fond of her children, but doesn't love them in the same way as she does. His life and her life has moved too much in different directions".

How about Martin now wishing to have children of his own and as such is on the lookout for a (fertile) partner? Perhaps.
"We know nada whether the decision has anything to with age. Perhaps they haven't even talked about it among themselves because it's too taboo and vulnerable subject, but nevertheless it can be an issue".

- Well I think I can summarize what the therapeut means in one sentence, but I shall refrain from doing so here...

Ugh, if I'm ever in Denmark and in need of therapy, I'll put this guy on my list of who NOT to go to.
Men always seem to be overly optimistic about their value in the dating world. Reality check: as a man heads into his 40s there's one thing that makes him a catch to a certain kind of woman instead of just a random middle aged guy and it's not his looks, (which are fading), or his personality - he needs to have MONEY. Let's hope Martin has some squirrelled away somewhere or he may be in for a rude awakening.

I must say that I've always thought Alexandra, Joakim and the rest of DRF handled that divorce very well and so far Alexandra seems set on doing the same with her second one as well. By doing a short but quite frank interview and not hiding from the public I'm sure she minimises any media hunts. While not royal anymore she's still a very classy lady and very respectful to DRF and with that her sons position in the Danish society.
You really think so? By giving the "quite frank interview", and saying what she said, she has, IMO, giving the rags even more interest in digging up the reasons for the divorce and the possible murky, dark secrets of Martin's.

I think it would have been more respectful of all parties, if she had said something neutral. Or nothing at all.

:previous: I agree. Giving an interview saying that she decided to divorce and that no longer share the same values gives cause to much gossip.

I don't know much about Therapy in their country but as a person with Counselling qualifications in UK/Ireland no therapist, Counsellor would be continuing to work if they commented on a client/clients issues. I am hoping I am misreading this and no confidentiality has been broken.

I don't know much about Therapy in their country but as a person with Counselling qualifications in UK/Ireland no therapist, Counsellor would be continuing to work if they commented on a client/clients issues. I am hoping I am misreading this and no confidentiality has been broken.

There are therapeuts for literally everything! :whistling:

Anyway, I'm confident he does not have M&A among his clients, otherwise he wouldn't talk so openly about them. That would be a criminal offense.

Sorry to read this, but it doesn't surprise me. Earlier this summer, I remember reading two stories about Martin. In one, he was picked Nicholai up from school in his new Maserati. (Neither Alexandra nor Joachim could make it, apparently.)

In the other, it talked about how some company he has been involved with has just turned a profit and attracted additional investment, which is supposedly how he was able to afford the Maserati. It also mentioned that he has been spending a lot of time out at night with his business friends and colleagues.

There wasn't anything "scandalous" in the stories -- and people do need to entertain business associates at night in many fields -- but something just seemed "off" about the whole thing.

If they had had children together I would have given the marriage a better chance but as time was passing without their own family I feared the worst. Basically I always thought that he might one day want children and that could end the marriage. We don't know if that's what has happened but I would bet any amount of money that he will take up with a younger woman and have a child in the not too distant future.

Basically I always thought that he might one day want children and that could end the marriage. We don't know if that's what has happened but I would bet any amount of money that he will take up with a younger woman and have a child in the not too distant future.
He already has one daughter that he never wanted to have anything to do with. At least up until a couple of years ago, when she gave an interview about it.

Poor Felix.
He looks like he'd rather vanish down a hole.

If there is one major loser in all of this, he is.
Nikolai is away among friends at a boarding school and he is older and perhaps closer to his father.
But Felix, who has visibly always been very fond of Martin. Now he has lost his bonus-dad, because I don't think Martin is going to drop by Alexandra's house very often now.

I agree on poor Felix!

Reality check: as a man heads into his 40s there's one thing that makes him a catch to a certain kind of woman instead of just a random middle aged guy and it's not his looks, (which are fading), or his personality - he needs to have MONEY. Let's hope Martin has some squirrelled away somewhere or he may be in for a rude awakening.

:lol::lol::lol:

So true! Although some of them have the right charisma and a good sob story, and that can work too.

He already has one daughter that he never wanted to have anything to do with. At least up until a couple of years ago, when she gave an interview about it.

That doesn't stop guys like this from having another, and acting like a dad while they are partnered with his/her mother.

So sad when children form a bond with stepparent then they go. I really hope he still is in his life even if only by phone. But then we don't know why the marriage broke down so might be better without him.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes, he has a daughter but never bothered.

Didn't it become apparent from some court documents or interviews that Alex and Martin became involved while she was still with Joachim? So not sure what kind of values she's referring to anyway.

When I first saw pictures of Martin I thought he was gay, and I thought, what an odd couple. I am quite sure without Alex' social standing he wouldn't even have looked twice.

I also recall some stories a few years back that QM granted Martin a diplomatic passwort, I guess he will have to give that back now?

I also recall some stories a few years back that QM granted Martin a diplomatic passwort, I guess he will have to give that back now?

I can't see any reason why he should have one now.

That's interesting actually.

Your remark made me think. Once Felix is eighteen and presumably gets his own diplomatic passport, what about Alexandra's passport?
Nikolai and Felix will probably both have moved away from home when they are around eighteen. Either becoming conscripts, followed by NCO training and joining an officers academy or alternatively begun an education, very likely abroad somewhere.
At that point Alexandra really don't need a diplomatic passport anymore. Even though she is a countess, she is really just a commoner.
And once your children are around twenty, they don't go on holidays with their parents anymore.
So wonder if she will stripped of hers in a few years?

Joachim has commented, basically just asking for the press to respect Nikolai and Felix
(if google translate is correct)
Joachims opsang: Pas på mine børn - Herognu

It is.

Here is what he said: "I'm very attentive of the well being of my children. It means everything to me.
As the situation is at present, they need peace and quiet. The peace is not only physical peace from press and cameras but also a peace I'd ask the press to respect.
What happens in their lives understandably has the undivided interest of the press, but it's the press' responsibility how it's trumpeted out. My children are old enough to read and understand".

This has indeed upset the children: "Of course they are".

- Despite the European migrant situation totally dominating the news, perhaps for weeks to come, there is still a good deal written about the divorce. I am however pleased to note that the press so far have avoided writing about the children. - At least apart from the pics of Alexandra and Felix in front of the school. Which in the bright glare of hindsight might not have been the most considerate thing to do to Felix

Last edited:
I think Joachim is worried about all the garbage his sons are about to read about their mother and second husband, something Alexandra was less worried about when fuelling the fire with her own statement.

Martin is a lot but not boring, he has always been a flamboyant/shady/workshy/extrovert/playboy-is etc etc type of person and Alex made a point in marrying him in a way that was a bit over the top for her social position and situation.
Its a field day for the press and who can blame them.

And once your children are around twenty, they don't go on holidays with their parents anymore.
So wonder if she will stripped of hers in a few years?

Is that a tradition in Denmark? American kids -- at least the ones I know -- continue to go on vacation throughout the time they're in college and beyond.

Sometimes the kids also take trips with their friends, but they generally go with the family, too.

Is that a tradition in Denmark? American kids -- at least the ones I know -- continue to go on vacation throughout the time they're in college and beyond.

Sometimes the kids also take trips with their friends, but they generally go with the family, too.

Well, if the child attends continuation school after 9th grade. That's a year away from home and after that they are unlikely to move back home. And if they are it's only for a short while. That means they move away around the age of 16-17.
Those who go from school directly to high school or something similar tend to stay at home until graduation three years later. That's when they are around 18-19. Then some opt for conscription (like I did) or take a year off traveling abroad. In both cases they are unlikely to move back home.
So I'd say that by the age of 20 the majority have moved away from home or is planning to move.

As for vacations alone. That varies. Some parents allow their children to go on vacation abroad at 16 or so. That's not going to happen in the Muhler family though!
Our oldest has turned eighteen and can't wait to move away from home, and he may wish to go on holiday on his own now. That's fine but it's been made very clear that if he goes abroad and drink up all his money, he can walk home.
Fortunately he likes being around his family and he naturally is very welcome to come with us.
But at eighteen he now has to pay a symbolic amount for living at home. - He'll be in for a shock when he actually does move away. :D

Last edited:
I am surprised Martin and indeed even Alexandra have diplomatic passports, they don't represent Denmark officially so only travel as private citizens so why have them? That being said don't Anne-Marie and her family all use Danish Diplomatic passports?

Anyway.... I am a bit surprised by Alexandra's actions in all of this, she released a statement that was more detailed and suggestive than needed to be and then was happy to subject her youngest child to being photographed on his way to school, she could have arranged for a friend or someone else to take him so the picture of her son wouldn't have been splashed everywhere. Maybe we are going to see a different side of her after this.

:previous: The DRF and the Greek royals have diplomatic passports.

I can understand Alexandra has a diplomatic passport, since she is mother of two Princes. And in that light it's perhaps convenient that her husband has one too.

Sorry to read this, but it doesn't surprise me. Earlier this summer, I remember reading two stories about Martin. In one, he was picked Nicholai up from school in his new Maserati. (Neither Alexandra nor Joachim could make it, apparently.)

I wonder if the Maserati goes to. The car cost around 190.000 Euros, a lot of money for a man who doesn't have a job. Martin is such a poser, Nicolai didnt look comfortable at all.
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/594/9/620x411-c/9594967-sdafasdfasd.jpg
http://herognu.dk/upload/fixed/643/405/her-og-nu/2015/27/onsdag/498998s.jpg

WOWZA!!!!!!! Nice car for a man w/o a job!!!

I wonder if the Maserati goes to. The car cost around 190.000 Euros, a lot of money for a man who doesn't have a job. Martin is such a poser, Nicolai didnt look comfortable at all.

Yeah, I guess Nikolai knew that the news was about to break.

I know from articles that Nikolai is very fond of going to boarding school. I wonder if it's because it's more peaceful there and away from the problems at home?
That's the damned thing about marriages breaking up. It's difficult for the children to remain neutral. Of course they love their mother and of course they are fond of their bonus dad, or at least I hope so!

:lol: Yeah, perhaps the good Martin Jørgensen will have to get used to driving around in a "Christiania-tank" http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Citroen/1983-Citroen-2CV_Charleston-Image-04.jpg
But then isn't that what hipsters drive around in?

... So wonder if she will stripped of hers in a few years?

As Alexandra is patron of UNICEF Denmark and in that respect sometimes travels abroad, I'd say that's highly unlikely. Not to mention the fact that most children don't stop travelling with their parents once they're eighteen.

I think Joachim is worried about all the garbage his sons are about to read about their mother and second husband, something Alexandra was less worried about when fuelling the fire with her own statement.

Oh, so you think Alexandra's statement is the thing that's fuelling the media attention? Alexandra has been the media's (and seemingly a lot of royal watchers, god knows why :rolleyes:) favourite scapegoat for a very long time now, they were undoubtedly gonna have a field day regardless of what she's said in the press.

As Alexandra is patron of UNICEF Denmark and in that respect sometimes travels abroad, I'd say that's highly unlikely. Not to mention the fact that most children don't stop travelling with their parents once they're eighteen.

Oh, so you think Alexandra's statement is the thing that's fuelling the media attention? Alexandra has been the media's (and seemingly a lot of royal watchers, god knows why :rolleyes:) favourite scapegoat for a very long time now, they were undoubtedly gonna have a field day regardless of what she's said in the press.

I agree, I think Alexandra has, for the most part, behaved impeccably after the divorce from Joachim, even though she's been put in several no-win situations over the last couple of years. She's never said a word against Joachim or even hinted at anything that would portray him or the royal family in a bad light. She seems to have a legitimately friendly relationship with him and Marie now. She's been a loving and supportive mother to both her sons. She hasn't publicly commented on the apanage situation. She seems to have tried to strike a balance between satisfying people's ongoing interest about her life with the occasional interview while still fading out of the official side of things in deference to Joachim's second wife.

Looking back on her time as a member of the royal family, Alexandra has charisma, intelligence, and work ethic equal to Mary, and I would say quite a bit more than Marie. It would have been very easy for her to not fade into the background at all at the time of the divorce and instead set herself up as a permanent high profile quasi-royal, and if that made things a little uncomfortable for current members of the royal family, well, too bad. The fact that she didn't do that shows a lot of grace, IMO.

I am surprised Martin and indeed even Alexandra have diplomatic passports, they don't represent Denmark officially so only travel as private citizens so why have them? That being said don't Anne-Marie and her family all use Danish Diplomatic passports?

Anyway.... I am a bit surprised by Alexandra's actions in all of this, she released a statement that was more detailed and suggestive than needed to be and then was happy to subject her youngest child to being photographed on his way to school, she could have arranged for a friend or someone else to take him so the picture of her son wouldn't have been splashed everywhere. Maybe we are going to see a different side of her after this.

Alexandra did a good job after her divorce from Joachim that I hope will continue, but I agree those pictures with Felix could have been avoided. Of course the press was out to get the first picture of her, but i think they would have left Felix alone if he was without Alexandra.

that is def a very cool car. :cool:
and yes Nikolai looked a bit uncomfortable, I remember that Alexandra did not go that day since she was ill and Joachim went to mid summer hunting trip with Henrik and Frederik.

On one of the other royal discussion boards, one of the posters mentioned that Alexandra should have returned her orders and the diamond tiara she received from the Queen when she and Joachim divorced. That beautiful tiara (the Alexandrine diamond drop tiara) was an 18th birthday gift for QM, and she was nice enough to give it to Alexandra. I don't know what the rules are concerning orders, but even though it would have been a good gesture to return it, someday it will be inherited, presumably by Nikolai, who can give it to his wife. The DRF doesn't have a lot of tiaras, so maybe that is Alexandra's way of insuring that Joachim's branch of the family will have at least one.

Back
Top Bottom