The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Why was Prince Joachim "a little"wild during and after his wedding with Alexandra and so happy and faithful wth our Marie ?
Was Alexandra to clever for him ??

Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Serene Highness

IMO the fact Alexandra was granted an appanage suggests it was felt she would continue representing and working for her charities. I doubt any politician would find it in them to vote for a purely personal allowance for life to a soon to be ex member of the RF. I agree with those who say they were trying to avoid a Diana style situation. Remember Diana too was given funding for her office and work for charities and I think the aim with the appanage was to do the same for Alexandra.
I guess people may have felt it unfair Alexandra would be forced to give up doing the work for the charities she supported simply because she and Joachim were divorced.
Remember no one who voted for the appanage could know she was going to re-marry so soon after her divorce and do so little for her charities. I've always had the feeling that up until she re-married she was going to hold a sort of 'honoury royal' role, not still a member of the RF but doing similar if less high profile appearances for charities.

Of course on reflection a time limit of the appanage would have been better or linking it in some way to the amount of work carried out for patronages. THis would have stopped any criticism as the less she worked the less she gets. (Not necessarily serious suggestions just pointing out hindsight is a great thing!)

Old 09-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

@Muhler (post #138): Neither of us can really speak for Alexandra's interest in the media coverage. I still don't think the wedding was that grand but rather suiting for someone who, at the time, still held a prominent place in the hearts of many Danes – and I definitely think the media would have made it even grander if they had been allowed to.

I sidestepped that, indeed. Mainly because I don't remember them (neither Alexandra's nor Joachim's) nearly as exaggerated as you describe them but thought my age might be to blame and gave you the benefit of doubt

The "warning cry" from Alexandra's patronages was a bit of moaning from the Danish Association of the Blind after she stopped as a patron for DR PigeKoret. After which several of her patronages went out and said how pleased they were to have her as their patron. To the best of my belief she didn't notch up her activity with the patronages – the press just became more aware of whenever she had new engagements. But if I'm wrong, isn't it just great that she noted the criticism she got and acted on it? There's absolutely no ground for believing that she somehow isn't interested in her patronages.

Was it unnecessary? Really? This is a mother accompanying her child to school. A mother who knows that the press will be there, sure, but presumably also a mother who has asked her thirteen-year-old son before leaving home if he wants her to accompany him despite the media attention. And to the best of my belief, it is incorrect that Alexandra could have stopped it as she and Felix were walking on a public street and according to the Danish Penal Code §264a, it's only illegal to photograph people in a non-freely accessible place (and the public street is, in fact, a freely accessible place). You don't need to seek consent when the people you're photographing are walking on a freely accessible place. Had they, on the other hand, been photographing Felix as he was walking into the school, it would be illegal as he would be in a non-freely accessible place. The penal code doesn't protect private activities so long as they're happening on public streets.

I appreciate you defining your "hey, I'm still here" theory to me, but I still refuse to follow the narrative that Alexandra is just hungry for attention. That might be naive of me and I don't doubt that Alexandra has flaws but I don't think any of your given examples (that I can remember, mind you ) warrant hunger for fame as the sole conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Alexandra is the children's MOTHER - going out in public with your own sons isn't seeking publicity, it's called parenting. She would be photographed no matter where she went with them so soon after the divorce. Are people seriously suggesting she should avoid doing things like bringing her kids to school or participating in a school sponsored walkathon with them because people might take their pictures? Should she not take them out to eat in a public place or take them shopping either? Just out of interest, how long should this self imposed purdah last?

I wonder if Ms Thisted is one of those cringe worthy women who likes to brag about all her guy friends and insist they're soooo much easier to get along with than women?
I couldn't agree more. I think it's a shame that people are reading into perfectly normal everyday activities just because they don't like Alexandra (or Martin, for that matter). As for the Ecco Walkathon, Alexandra has participated with Nikolai and Felix for the past many years – why shouldn't she do it this year? Would people prefer that she stayed inside her house for the next six months?

And you've said it. Karen Thisted is exactly that kind of woman. She has made a lot of very obnoxious comments through the time and was once chief editor of Ekstra Bladet (and that's all one needs to know, really)

Old 09-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Majesty

A quick reply before going to bed.

I didn't realize you are that old!

Firstly the laws, or more correctly sentencing, on privacy extends beyond the penal code, where you risk fines and even prison.
There have been quite a number of civil lawsuits against the media publishing photographs of people in very public places, like beaches, without that persons knowledge let alone consent. The verdict in most cases go against the media. - Especially if you make money on the pictures. The point being that you have a certain right to privacy, even in public.
According to a photographer I know, that has been defined as a person taking up more than an X % of a published photo from a public place or a crowd. Unless there are very good reasons for it, like documenting a crime or a riot or a demonstration.

It was certainly my impression that Alexandra was "retired" from the DR1 Girls Choir and shortly after, the debate as to what amount of work Alexandra actually does for her protections started.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Why was Prince Joachim "a little"wild during and after his wedding with Alexandra and so happy and faithful wth our Marie ?
Was Alexandra to clever for him ??
Joachim seems very old fashioned in some ways, with traditional views on royalty and also gender roles. I doubt he's the sort of man who responds well to being outshone by his wife, or to his wife attempting to set limits on what he can do. Joachim seems like a man of average abilities who was born into an extraordinary life, whereas Alexandra, much like Mary, seems like she has above average abilities. She certainly showed herself to be smart, ambitious and good at connecting with people during her years as a member of the DRF.

Marie seems like exactly the sort of person who would make a good wife for Joachim. Younger, pleasant, a good mother who will take care of most of the kid stuff, not too educated, not too ambitious, and not someone who's going to rock the boat in any way.

There's a shoe for every foot! Hopefully next time around Alexandra will pick a properly fitting one!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Joachim seems very old fashioned in some ways, with traditional views on royalty and also gender roles. I doubt he's the sort of man who responds well to being outshone by his wife, or to his wife attempting to set limits on what he can do. Joachim seems like a man of average abilities who was born into an extraordinary life, whereas Alexandra, much like Mary, seems like she has above average abilities. She certainly showed herself to be smart, ambitious and good at connecting with people during her years as a member of the DRF.

Marie seems like exactly the sort of person who would make a good wife for Joachim. Younger, pleasant, a good mother who will take care of most of the kid stuff, not too educated, not too ambitious, and not someone who's going to rock the boat in any way.

There's a shoe for every foot! Hopefully next time around Alexandra will pick a properly fitting one!
I agree with your assessment of all the players. I like your shoe for every foot quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 AM
Majesty

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Joachim is very conservative man if I am to analyze him.
Also in regards to gender roles. Not that he doesn't believe in gender equality, but he certainly IMO believe that a man must stand up and protect his family, should shield his wife, should always be polite to women - be a "southern gentleman" actually - be a man! While his wife deals with the more softer values within the family.
He is (no doubt influenced by his father) a traditionally French family man. The benign head of his family.
This is where he is most comfortable.

That may not have been particularly compatible with Alexandra, who was older then Joachim, had had her own career where she was used to using her elbows in competition with men, and being independent.

Our Marie on the other hand is IMO also pretty conservative in many ways. Being French she can understand the concept of a patriarch of the family. She quite likes the idea of having a strong arm to lean on. - While getting her way, when she wants to...

Yeah, yeah, I know. Some of you reading this will per default immediately stand up on one leg, make the sign of the cross seven times while massing: "There is no such thing as different gender-roles in this here modern world".
Well, it works for some. Apparently it works for Joachim and Marie.

While the gender division is much less represented in Mary and Frederik's marriage. And that apparently suits them well.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Joachim is very much a 'status' man, I remember stories that he insisted on adressing his children as 'Prince' in Kindergarten.
Also, what fits with the patriarch role, he can have a foul temper, what we have also seen in public, when adressing journalists catching him on the wrong foot.
I imagine that didnt go down well with Alex (the second point) and recall photos around end of their marriage when they had a heated exchange, almost yelling to each other, during an official event. Marie is certainly much softer than Alex in that respect, knows 'her place' in a relationship with Joachim.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I agree with your assessment of all the players. I like your shoe for every foot quote
Oh dear, lets hope she does not end up being a modern day Imelda Marcos!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Oh dear, lets hope she does not end up being a modern day Imelda Marcos!
Thank you! My laugh for the day.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Joachim is very conservative man if I am to analyze him.
Also in regards to gender roles. Not that he doesn't believe in gender equality, but he certainly IMO believe that a man must stand up and protect his family, should shield his wife, should always be polite to women - be a "southern gentleman" actually - be a man! While his wife deals with the more softer values within the family.
He is (no doubt influenced by his father) a traditionally French family man. The benign head of his family.
This is where he is most comfortable.

That may not have been particularly compatible with Alexandra, who was older then Joachim, had had her own career where she was used to using her elbows in competition with men, and being independent.

Our Marie on the other hand is IMO also pretty conservative in many ways. Being French she can understand the concept of a patriarch of the family. She quite likes the idea of having a strong arm to lean on. - While getting her way, when she wants to...

Yeah, yeah, I know. Some of you reading this will per default immediately stand up on one leg, make the sign of the cross seven times while massing: "There is no such thing as different gender-roles in this here modern world".
Well, it works for some. Apparently it works for Joachim and Marie.

While the gender division is much less represented in Mary and Frederik's marriage. And that apparently suits them well.
It's always been interesting to me how dissimilar Frederik and Joachim seem in this respect considering they're from the same family, the same gender, and are very close in age.

I wonder if Frederik is less hung up on issues of status and outward signs of being the leader because he's always known he's going to be top of the heap one day and has nothing to prove in that regard. Just my bit of armchair psychology about total strangers!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:47 AM
Courtier

The recent posts remind me that the brother of a colleague of mine once
met prince Joachim at some social event in Hong Kong and said " your face is familiar, haven't we met before ?? "

Viv
Old 10-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Majesty

Well, according to Ekstra Bladet Martin Jørgensen (BTW has he really changed his name?) doesn't live on the street, but in a luxury apartment owned by the Stanico company, that is again owned by Martin's good friend, Christian Stadil.
Hummel-millionær redder husvild Martin – Ekstra Bladet

When asked by EB, Martins reponds with a "how do you know that?" after which he declines to comment further.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well, according to Ekstra Bladet Martin Jørgensen (BTW has he really changed his name?)...
What do you mean? His name has always been Martin Jørgensen
Old 10-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Majesty

I read a headline somewhere that he should have changed his name after the separation from Alexandra.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I read a headline somewhere that he should have changed his name after the separation from Alexandra.
Wasn´t that Prince Nikolai on Facebook?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Majesty

The headline said Martin.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The headline said Martin.
Hmm
Old 10-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Majesty

Alexandra, together with Felix and two of his friends, went to see the DK premiere of the new Bond movie tonight.

Present was also Eva Harlou, who has been associated with Martin Jørgensen.
However, the two women didn't touch that subject and in fact they didn't even meet. Alexandra was led to a special VIP section.

Here are pics and a a video.
I see both tabloids have cropped out Felix, despite the fact that he is standing next to his mother and it is very much a public place.

Alex og Eva var tavse: Ikke et ord om Martin - Kendte | www.bt.dk
Grevinde Alexandra og Eva Harlou i biffen sammen – Ekstra Bladet
Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

They are probably more interested in the Alexandra/Eva story line than Felix, But you see him briefly in the video