The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. Prince Knud and Prince Ingolf simply lost their status because of a change in the Constitition. The Danish Government wanted to make proper agreements, probably also to 'ease the bitter pill'.

I can imagine that when the Republic of Denmark is established in a peaceful way, the new Danish Government will also make financial arrangements. For an example giving a royal estate in private ownership, together with an agreement for an allowance for the lifetime of former Queen Margrethe and/or former Crown Prince Frederik.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
...that when the Republic of Denmark is established in a peaceful way,
Do you know something that we danes do not know? I cannot see Denmark becoming a republic in the near future.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Do you know something that we danes do not know? I cannot see Denmark becoming a republic in the near future.
The third word in the second alinea was: "imagine"...

Merci.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

In sure were Denmark to become a republic appropriate allowances would be made to the RF.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
In sure were Denmark to become a republic appropriate allowances would be made to the RF.
Indeed, that was my point. Like the Danish Government made appropriate agreements with Hereditary Prince Knud and his son when they lost their position.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Combined with the articles last year that Alexandra has, shall we say, been less active in several of her protections the pendulum has now swung the other way. In the sense that perhaps Alexandra was the one to blame for the failed marriage, that is certainly an often seen argument for those who wish to strip Alexandra of the apanage. (Personally I believe it takes two to ruin most marriages). That doesn't mean Joachim has become popular in the eyes of the public (and he probably never will), just that the finger of blame has shifted towards Alexandra.
So PR-wise Alexandra would be fighting a losing battle should she insist on receiving her apanage, despite being "advised" to give it up.
It will be very interesting to see what will happen once Felix turns eighteen.
I am not sure I agree with you here. Perhaps people thought: Who knows who is to blame?
But revelations like "The Queen asked the government to give Alexandra an apanage" are an indication - for me at least - that it was probably not Alexandra who was to blame.
Really, why should the queen ask the taxpayers to pay for Alexandra if it was she who was to blame?!
I am sorry to say that this whole affair does not reflect well on the queen as well as Joachim and Alexandra.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

They wanted to avoid another Fergie and maybe Alexandra had some potential to write a book on the DRF, and not in a good sense.
Why would the taxpayer pick up the bill for the divorce of Prince Joachim? Are they so poor that he cannot settle it himself? It's ridiculous, really. Even more ridiculous that the arrangement does not turn void once the kids are over 18 or Alexandra gets remarried. It's a joke that she continues to reveice money while already having a new husband.
I guess with Margarethe gone and Frederik on the throne, a lot of questions will be asked. Maybe its the wrong thread, but imo Fred will not be given such an easy ride when it comes to privileges etc for the DRF as it is now.
There is not really transparency in what they do or get/accept and what others get in return. In this regard, they have a lot to learn from the Spanish RF.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
I am not sure I agree with you here. Perhaps people thought: Who knows who is to blame?
But revelations like "The Queen asked the government to give Alexandra an apanage" are an indication - for me at least - that it was probably not Alexandra who was to blame.
Really, why should the queen ask the taxpayers to pay for Alexandra if it was she who was to blame?!
I am sorry to say that this whole affair does not reflect well on the queen as well as Joachim and Alexandra.
Yes, I know the public opinion may not understand.

But that's what QMII had to do. She had to send a more or less formal request to the PM. A verbal request wouldn't do. That's not how the system works.

Anyway, she had to come up with some sort of solution. After all Alexandra was still a princess and the mother of Nikolai who at that time would be next in line after Frederik and perhaps Joachim.
She had to find a way to support Alexandra in a manner befitting her station and also to ensure that Alexandra felt she was treated fairly.
Because the risk of Alexandra doing a Fergie must have been in the back of QMII's mind.
So Alexandra got an apanage - and she cannot complain of being treated unfairly, so everybody are happy, except perhaps the odd taxpayers.

ADDED:
Well, I can't say I disagree with you Duke of Marmalade. But then in the glaring light of hindsight and all that...

BT today has more on Alexandra's income. http://www.bt.dk/danmark/du-betaler-...740.000-kroner

Her apanage is regulated and that means she today receive 740.000 DKK more than she did in 2004.
On top of that she is a mamber of a board in a Swiss medical company, earning an estimated 250.000-500.000 DKK a year. - Plus of course private investsments.
That means she today has a yearly income of at least 2.5 million DKK. - To put it into perspective that's the yearly income of some 8 mailmen.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder if her husband contributes income. Does he have a job?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by denice View Post
I wonder if her husband contributes income. Does he have a job?
That's an interesting question.

He appears to have made some bad investments. However, I can't say if that is countered by sound investments.
He runs a small company but how the economy is, I don't know. It's not my impression that he is over-worked though.
I guess Alexandra makes enough money for both of them to live of.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think he had a film company that was used by the DRF several times for nice docus not sure it still exists.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Royal Highness

Mmmm that doesn't sound very good.
But they all seem to get on and play happy families. The boys look like they like both step parents so may be best to not cause any upset about money

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Sådan vil kongehuset undgå ny Alexandra-sag: Joachim forgylder prinsesse Marie - Nyheder | www.bt.dk

Gave til 17,25 millioner kroner: Derfor forgylder Joachim prinsesse Marie - Nyheder | www.bt.dk

Sådan fik Joachim råd til milliongave til Marie - Nyheder | www.bt.dk

The big story in the papers today is how it has been reveled that Joachim has quietly handed over half their new house to our Marie.
That means Marie is worth 17.5 million DKK - not counting her own fortune, possible inheritance and private investments.

Commentators argue that the DRF in this was want's to avoid a new Alexandra. I.e. an ex-royal who is subsidised for life by the taxpayers without any obligations in return.
In this way the DRF does not have to pursuade the Parliament to grant Marie an apanage in case of a divorce - with all the bad PR that entails.
In other words: Marie will after a divorce have a handsome fortune to live of enabling her to have a living standard that is equivalent to her present.

There is also a review of Joachim's finances before and after the sale of Schackenborg.
Before the sale of Schackenborg he or rather the estate had a debt of 42 million DKK.
Schackenborg was sold for 100 million.
Of these Joachim paid out the debt and used the 13 million DKK he and Alexandra got as a public wedding present as a down payment so to speak in the newly founded Shcackenborg Foundation.
Detracting other expenses Joachim ended up with a surplus of 45 million DKK.
Of these he has spend 35 million as cash payment for his new home.

But he still has a lot of assets in Southern Jutland.
Land worth some 66 million DKK and real estate worth some 9.9 million DKK.

So if we add all these figures up, Joachim at present has a fortune of up to 10 million DKK
plus real estate and land worth a total of some 75 million DKK.
Not counting inheritance and other private investments.
Marie alone is worth 17.5 million in real easte.
So the couple J&M are worth some 90 million DKK at present.

An online survey in BT reveals that 68 % think it's okay for Joachim to give Marie half the house.
23 % believe she shouldn't get anything in case of a divorce.
9 % don't know.

- I don't think they have to lie sleepless at night from worrying about their finances for the rest of their lives.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

BT really take their time and have their ears out to find "shocking" stories about the DRF this week huh? First the Queen.. then the Crown Prince.. and now Prince Joachim and Princess Marie..

I can't see why it should be a bad thing. Isn't it a quite wise decision with all the criticism about Countess Alexandra getting apanage? Of course Princess Marie must be ensured and this way is a good way to do it.

As the Professor Lars Hovbakke says:
"A Gallup survey last summer showed that Joachim and Princess Marie is the least popular members of the DRF which in other words means there won't be political support to fund Princess Marie with the taxpayers' money if the marriage doesn't hold. Now there is made a system so the DRF themselves has ensured princess Marie. We don't want to be in the same situation as with Alexandra and it's probably also a realization of that the public and political support to also give Princess Marie apanage in case of a divorce isn't present."

The article is probably made to provoke people and yes it is a lot of money we're talking about, but in my eyes it is a good solution.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

It only makes sense for Marie to get half. I guess.

and wow, by far i would say that Joachim and Marie are def. the wealthier of the two royal couples.

It would still look kinda weird if Marie didnt get an apandage (in case of a divorce) but ex wife #1 Alexandra still got hers?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
It only makes sense for Marie to get half. I guess.

and wow, by far i would say that Joachim and Marie are def. the wealthier of the two royal couples.

It would still look kinda weird if Marie didnt get an apandage (in case of a divorce) but ex wife #1 Alexandra still got hers?
Alexandra should never have received an apanage in the first place. Why should the taxpayers fund an ex-wife of a royal? That is their own problem. Prince Joachim should have used his apanage to fund his ex-wife, as any Dane has to do as well in similar situations

Old 01-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Alexandra should never have received an apanage in the first place. Why should the taxpayers fund an ex-wife of a royal? That is their own problem. Prince Joachim should have used his apanage to fund his ex-wife, as any Dane has to do as well in similar situations

I dunno. it kinda made sense in the beginning. To avoid a Danish Fergie situation and she is the mother of two princes (who at the time, were close to the throne since Frederik did not have kids)
But yes, maybe it should have been taken out from Joachim's appendage..

either way, it was done the way it was...now for the future. I def. think it should be stopped no further then when Felix turns 18. or maybe sooner
Old 01-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if at the time the allowance was approved they thought Alexandra would carry on in a semi royal role a bit like Diana did for a while with the BRF? Still carrying out vists to charities etc just not officially representing the Queen or Denmark officially. Maybe if that had happened there would be more acceptance of Alexandra receiving an allowance?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
But yes, maybe it should have been taken out from Joachim's appendage..

Ouch! Which one?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Ouch! Which one?
lol . sorry. autocorrect fails me sometimes

Tags
danish royals