The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Royal Highness

Look at how some of the gulf state royals live, gosh, that is Waaaaaay over the top, considering so many of their nation lives in dire poverty

Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Follow up on the article above

M&F had "private" expenses for 3.7 million DKK. They are establishing a home, which means that they buy many things for the first time, just like other young families. Not to mention that they have an active social life with many friends. (Not all birthday presents can be charged to the business account). To that we should also add two nannies and at least one private secretary, Caroline Heering, plus salary (we may assume) to Søren Heedegaard when he accompany Mary on travels.
And my guess is that they at present don't have much of a surplus. So a cautious guess is that M&F's salary amounts to 4 million DKK in total. Roughly 538.000 € or 673.000 $. - Which is a fairly modest salary considering their status. Many board members and bank managers here in DK have a higer salary without feeling the least bit ashamed.

thanks Muhler for the excellent summary.
i think you point out a great point about establishing a home front for the first time. Many of these expenses (baby furniture and regular furniture, etc.) wont be coming up again.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
A new dress for almost every event? I don't follow you. To me, Mary is one of the best royals at recycling. Perhaps you just think you see a new outfit every time she steps out in a new combination.
And if Mary had a new outfit for almost every event, there would be no need
to recycle all the outfits from almost 10years ago. Even I don't have that old clothes in my modest wardrobe.

I don't know what Prada outfits cost (and don't really care), or the Valentinos/Elie Saabs etc that other Princesses wear. If Mary recycles Prada or other outfits first worn 2004, I think they have proved to be a
great buy.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Courtier

Royal Recycling is the way forward not only because of the actual
budget of the individual royal but also - especially? - because of the 'environmental sustainability' ! IMO this is more important than
flashing new clothes for each and every occasion!
IMO there's reason to believe that some fashion houses and designers
are giving our royals the occasional free piece of clothing for publicity/product placement. I suspect this is the case with CP Mary
and Princess Marie, who are often wearing especially day clothes by Danish designers, items within financial reach most working women for whom clothes are a priority.
I suppose that the more expensive designer stuff discreetly influence
the choice of clothes of the privileged. Many royals are good models in this respect and set the sartorial standards for the noveaux riches.
And just for the record: In a fairly recent book on the clothes of Queen Margrethe a couple of free items are mentioned.

viv
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

We all wear our clothes more than one time of course..AND I dind't said that she doesn't recycle of course she recycles...but not so mucht has she could do...has no need to keep buying new and expensive things, a Fendi dress she wore a few days ago, a new dress by the way...she was in need for a new dress??? I don't think so... doesn't she have lots of them? doesn't she have lots of dreeses that she had wear only once...of course she has lots of pieces that she wear only once...I can recall that beautiful mini red drees from Matthew Williamson she wore for Frederik anniversary for example, I have only seen it once.. and this is just one example....there are mucht more....how many ski suits does she have from the first time we saw her skiing with Frederik...just start count them until you arrive to this last one from North Face and to her new napapijri coat and now a Moncler of course...
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
We all wear our clothes more than one time of course..AND I dind't said that she doesn't recycle of course she recycles...but not so mucht has she could do...has no need to keep buying new and expensive things, a Fendi dress she wore a few days ago, a new dress by the way...she was in need for a new dress??? I don't think so... doesn't she have lots of them? doesn't she have lots of dreeses that she had wear only once...of course she has lots of pieces that she wear only once...I can recall that beautiful mini red drees from Matthew Williamson she wore for Frederik anniversary for example, I have only seen it once.. and this is just one example....there are mucht more....how many ski suits does she have from the first time we saw her skiing with Frederik...just start count them until you arrive to this last one from North Face and to her new napapijri coat and now a Moncler of course...
I think Mary is one of the royals that recycles often.
And when it comes to clothes lets not overlook that your body changes and often using the same dress you did a few years back is not an option. Mary has gone from being 32 with no kids to 40 with 4 , as much as she is athletic and fit, some items just wont do.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Mary recycles quite alot and when she wears clothes from lower end designers many here have complained that she shouldn't.

I have no problem how much these royal ladies spend on their wardrobe. IMO, they're advertising for their royal houses and their countries.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
but not so mucht has she could do
How much could she recycle?

Quote:
has no need to keep buying new and expensive things...she was in need for a new dress???
What does she actually need? When does anyone actually need new clothes? And couldn't it strictly speaking be a mail-sack? Does it need to be something that cost anything?

Quote:
I don't think so... doesn't she have lots of them? doesn't she have lots of dreeses that she had wear only once. ...of course she has lots of pieces that she wear only once...I can recall that beautiful mini red drees from Matthew Williamson she wore for Frederik anniversary for example, I have only seen it once.
You mean "I have never seen pictures of Mary at two seperate occations wearing that particular dress" and conclude that she has worn that dress only once? You know, seeing an image of Frederik not drinking a beer, doesn't mean he quit drinking. Just like seeing two images of Frederik drinking beer doesn't mean he's an alcoholic. Surely Mary wears clothes when there's no camera around, and surely there are plenty of pictures of Mary that doesn't reach the public eye because not all pictures are of interest.
I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of clothes Mary only wears once or a couple of times and that's it. But I have nothing to prove it (absence is not proof), and frankly, I don't think it's extraordinary behaviour on her part to have some things she's only worn once (I have several things - even things that I've never worn - not Armani but still). I think loads of women have this issue. A 1st-world problem if I ever saw one.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
.I can recall that beautiful mini red drees from Matthew Williamson she wore for Frederik anniversary for example, I have only seen it once.. and this is just one example....
She has actually recycled that pretty dress at a private birthday party a couple of summers ago.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
I think Mary is one of the royals that recycles often.
And when it comes to clothes lets not overlook that your body changes and often using the same dress you did a few years back is not an option. Mary has gone from being 32 with no kids to 40 with 4 , as much as she is athletic and fit, some items just wont do.
a great point, we all remember when she recycled a green suit to a visit to Belgium and how it was tight on her
Old 07-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Aristocracy

Is Count Ingolf still getting money from the state? What about his big sister? Why they are not included in the annual reports of the Royal Court?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

An article from BT: Krisen kradser - kongehuset forgyldes - Royale | www.bt.dk

It begins with King Juan Carlos cutting his budget. Spain is as you all know in very serious financial trouble.

However the DRF has recieved 9.7 million DKK more in apanage since the financial crisis started in 2008. - To 2011, as the budget for 2012 hasn't been released.
As far as my little head can calculate that's between two and three million DKK more per year on average.
Which covers the various expences, including salary for the staff. - And story is angled so that the impression is that this is oh so terrible.

- Well, ain't that remarkable! My salary has also gone up since 2008.
(Not as much as I would like, but that's never going to happen anyway....)
And surprise, surprise, the prices have also gone up.

The financial crises has been mild here in DK. The main problem is that people don't spend money enough. - Partly due to some utterly idiotic initiatives from the politicians, but that's another story.

Right now Fredensborg Park is going through a major renovation, that's the kind of projects the building sector is screaming for, not cut backs.

IMO the most common ailment here in DK is: at have ondt i røven.

That's a very common saying and it translates to: the ass hurts. That expression is used when someone complains about others getting something they don't get themselves, even if they are fine themselves. It's related to envy, just worse, because it so often these days also extends to those who are genuinely unfortunate.
This is a school example of the ass hurts.

It should be added that røv = ass is no longer considered a dirty word here in DK.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Heir Apparent

The very serious newspaper Jyllands Posten has an article about the finances of the DRF - in the sense as it is run as a company.

Millionunderskud i kongehuset - Indland

The annual report for 2012 has been published and DRF comes out with a deficit of 1.780.352 DKK.
The reason for that are the added expences to cover the Chinese statevisit and QMII's 40th jubilee.
The deficit will be covered by the equity of the DRF, which amounts to more than 18 million DKK.

The chief of the economy of the DRF, Søren Kruse says: "It's all about making things hang together financially over many years.
We recieve a fixed amount (the apanage) which is independant of our activity level on any given year. That's why you have to put something aside the years there is a surplus, for the years where there are more than an average number of activities".

In 2011 the DRF had a surplus for a little less than one million DKK.

However 2004 was a year with a large deficit, due to M&F's wedding. That amounted to minus twelve million DKK.

BB will be up later today.

-------------------------------------------------
ADDED.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #17, 2013.
Where a Kim Rasmussen ask how big QMII's private fortune is.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that he does not know.
But counting all assets. I.e. estates including Chateau Cayx, stocks, personal possessions, collections, jewellery and so on down to the last shirt, much of it being quite unique, he will guess that the fortune amounts to several hundred million DKK. (100 million DKK = roughly 17-20 million $).
Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The annual report for 2012 has been published and DRF comes out with a deficit of 1.780.352 DKK.
The DRF had a deficit but the CP couple had a surplus again.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Courtier

Yes, according to the annual report the deficit concerns the Royal Civil List (= Queen Margrethe and her court). And it was caused by the Throne Jubilee, the Chinese State Visit and the stay of the royal family + yacht in London during the Olympic Games.
The Crown Prince and his administration had a surplus of almost 440.000 kr.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love that the DRF sends out these reports each year. Its nice to read what they did all year and the line of transparency in terms of costs is nice.

I noticed on page 10, they have a photo of the Queen at the employees' "Christmas holiday party" . I hadn't seen the picture before, it looks like Christian and Isabella joined their parents and grandparents

http://kongehuset.dk/english/Organisation-and-Contact/State-Civil-List-Annuity/kongehusets-virksomhed-2012
Old 04-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Royal Highness

I noticed that too. Every year the Queen invites their staff to julegløgg (a cup of mullet wine) and it seems like both Frederik, Mary, Christian and Bella joined this year I like they involve their children so much.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...84514253_n.jpg
Old 08-27-2013, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

The government presents the Finance Act today and one of the items is the apanage to the DRF: 300.000 kroner mere til kongehuset - TV 2 Nyhederne

That part of the Finance Act is a formality as it is guaranteed to be approved in the Parliament.

Due to the financial crisis there were cut backs on the amount the DRF has recieved, so even though they get 300.000 DKK more than this year, it is nevertheless less than they recieved in 2012.

So in 2014 QMII will recieve 200.000 DKK more for a total sum of 72.3 million. In 2012 she recieved 76.1 million DKK.

Frederik will get 18 million DKK, of which Mary is automatically entitled to 10 %.
Joachim will recieve 3.2 million DKK. While Alexandra get 2.1 million DKK.

Benedikte is not mentioned.
However, combined the other members of the DRF (I.e. minus the Regent Couple) will recieve a million DKK less than in 2012.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think they do get a lot of money in times like these. Especially the Queen & Frederik. Are the children included in Alexandra's support or will Joachim pay additional child support?

What exactly do they have to pay for with the money. I know from other royal houses that they decrease the amount because it 'looks better', but in return specific costs are paid for by the government, like a left-pocket right-pocket transaction.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think they do get a lot of money in times like these. Especially the Queen & Frederik. Are the children included in Alexandra's support or will Joachim pay additional child support?
I'm not sure off hand whether Joachim pay child support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
What exactly do they have to pay for with the money. I know from other royal houses that they decrease the amount because it 'looks better', but in return specific costs are paid for by the government, like a left-pocket right-pocket transaction.
Everything excluding security and maintenaince of the exterior of the palaces.
Staff salaries. Upkeep of the palaces interior.
Entertaining official visitors - i.e. state dinners. And in some cases housing visitors. Or when giving a return dinner.
Administration, catering for the staff, paying for uniforms (They are expensive!). Paying for the staff, when they are out to prepare an official visit either in DK or abroad.
Personal expences in connection with being on the job, including transport in cars (but not the royal yacht or planes).
In short the apanage to QMII cover the expences for a service business with around 160 employees. - Including salaray to the management - the Regent Couple.
Then we have gifts for foreign heads of states and so on and so on.

So the expences will fluctuate a bit with a tendency to go up, simply because the prices go up. But also because there are different expences, depending on jubilees, large family events and so on.

Personal expences and expences covered by the apanage are vat excempted, that's a 25% refund.

As I understand it the court presents an estimate to Statsministeriet (The PM's office) outlining the expences for the following year and unless that estimate is unreasonable it will be approved. However it also the PM's office which may "suggest" that savings may be a good idea, but the PM cannot demand savings because the court is supposed to be independent of the government and it would be most unusual indeed if the PM's office would not approve of the expences or the estimate.
Because that would mean that the civil servants advising the DRF are not doing their job properly or that the DRF is overriding the advise they get.

Tags
danish royals