Costs, Income, Fortune and Expenditures of the Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
25.000 KKK?
How much is this in Euros?

That would be 3350,89 euros a day, according to the euro calculator ;). IMHO such articles are rather idiotic anyway, how do they know what Mary is spending? She isn´t going to tell them, neither will the people where she buys things. So how did they come up with this number, does the article explain anything?

Roughly 3,300 Euro

Thank you grils , I have to say that I don´t think is very expensive at all for a Crown Princes, wiht all those offcial act,
And I agree with you Marengo, how they know it?

Last edited:
silly article imo how can they possibly know what she spends. since we know how much she recycles her clothes (just this week, she wore things from 3 or 4 years ago) it's just another swipe at mary to sell magazines.

That would be 3350,89 euros a day, according to the euro calculator ;). IMHO such articles are rather idiotic anyway, how do they know what Mary is spending? She isn´t going to tell them, neither will the people where she buys things. So how did they come up with this number, does the article explain anything?

My guess is they print the retail value of the clothes, but Mary probable gets them for much less, possibly even cost in exchange for the publicity the designer gets when Mary wears them.

My guess is they print the retail value of the clothes, but Mary probable gets them for much less, possibly even cost in exchange for the publicity the designer gets when Mary wears them.

Actually they know pretty accurately because the royal family do not pay VAT, or rather it is refunded once a year. And in order for it to be refunded, they ofcouse have to show proof of purchase in the form of some kind of receipt. And the amount is, I believe, at least semi public record.

So its not just guessing...

I don't know if I understand right, but she spending 25,000 DKK a day? Well by the Currency Converter this would around 5,000 USD. I agree with another poster that that does not seem to be alot for a Crown Princess. Mary also does wear alot of NICE things. Some of her bags will cost more than that for just one! Well, she looks great and I guess that she does get alot well below retail value!

I don't know if I understand right, but she spending 25,000 DKK a day? Well by the Currency Converter this would around 5,000 USD. I agree with another poster that that does not seem to be alot for a Crown Princess. Mary also does wear alot of NICE things. Some of her bags will cost more than that for just one! Well, she looks great and I guess that she does get alot well below retail value!

$5000 USD a day isn't much? That's $1,825,000 a year for clothing alone. That amount isn't much if she married Bill Gates or Tiger Woods, but I'm not sure how much the pay Fred or she gets from the government. How much is her personal allowances?

I don't know whether this story was true or not. It could be true as the Danish poster said. I found it interesting that after a couple years of grood press where the Danish and Australian press praised her to the sky, i. e. fashion icon, the most popular crown princess etc. Now most press is about her spending and supposed marital problem. For a public figure living on tax payers' money, this isn't good for image. Persception can become reality if she's not careful.

Well, I think it is highly unlikely that Mary (or anybody else) spends 1.825.000 a year on clothes and cosmetics. It is an absurd sum and it is more than her allowance (maybe even more than the combined allowance of her and her husband). Considering the source (a gossip magazine) it is safe to assume this is nonsense.

Another thing is that some people here talk about ´the press´ being negative about Mary etc. In this we also have to make a difference within the press. Thus far it has mainly been unreliable gossip magazines. Only when serious newspapers start about things there is ground to worry (in the Danish RF the only thing that strikes me as serious at the moment are the doubts over CP Frederik´s IOC membership). The supposed marital problems are coming from the gossip press, which is hardly reliable. If we had to believe all they said Mary should have had at least 20 children by now for example.

I was thinking that this was for more than just clothes and makeup! I was thinking that this is also for her staff, travel, car and other things. I was thinking that this ( 1.825.00 dkk) was a total for the year for ALL things that Mary does not just clothes and makeup! Sorry if I miss understood!

Last edited:
Maybe I understood it wrong, bu still that amount of money a year would mean that she spends more than she gets and that the Danish RF has to pay extra from their own resources, not very likely (and if it is true: not very wize!).

Last edited:
I was thinking that this was for more than just clothes and makeup! I was thinking that this is also for her staff, travel, car and other things. I was thinking that this ( 1.825.00 dkk) was a total for the year for ALL things that Mary does not just clothes and makeup! Sorry if I miss understood!

See the post on top of this page: "Mary's Expensive Style - Clothes for 25,000 a Day". It clearly says 25,000 DKK for "clothes" alone. A poster says 25,000 DKK converts to $5000 USD. $5000 USD a day means $1,825,000 USD a year. That's quite a bit of money for clothes. But as I said, everything is relative.

But the "problem" is:
according to the annual report 2006 (the one for 2007 is not online yet) Frederik and Mary (Mary has no allowance of her own) had an expenditure cap of 3.090.828,- DKK a year which is 608.024,- USD. And from that money they have to pay everything which is not staff cost, property expense, administrative expense and court expense (they actually have an allowance of 15.454.142,- DKK a year).
If Mary would spend 25.000 DKK a day for clothes ($1,825,000 USD a year) then that alone would be three times as much as the money they actually got and spent in 2006 for their personal purposes. ( And what about clothes for Frederik and the children ?). As Marengo said: A totally absurd sum made up by a gossip magazine.

http://download.tdconline.dk/pub/kongehuset/aarsrapport/Kongehuset_2006_UK.pdf

Well, let's wait for the annual report 2007, then we will know for sure.:flowers:

Last edited:
Well I don't know how mucht she spend on clothes but I waht I do know is that she should recycle more, she has almoust everyday a new outfit. Yes she recycles like the blue suit she has recycle a few days ago but I think that she could recycle more and not spend so mucht money on Prada bags and shoes.Her clothes are lovely and to me she is one of the best dressed Royal but also I think that she spends a lot of money on clothes and she should't

She gets an allowance, but who is to stop her from dipping into their own personal wealth (assuming they have one)? She does dress nice though, and she owns first class jewelry.

Yes! I love Mary but sometimes I think that she looks more like a celebrity than a Royal. When we get to see her clothes closely we can see always the nicests materials and the nicest International or Danish brands we have never saw Mary wearing Mango, vero Moda, Massimo dutti or some other medium cost Danish brands.

Do you think that some of these items are giving to Mary? If it is a gift then no money comes from her allowance or personal wealth. I think that she is giving alot of things for friends, family and designers.

my first thought was wow only $600 grand a year, i mean that's really not much to "rich people", very interesting thanks, ricarda.
in the celebrity world the higher profile you have, the more free stuff you receive. everytime she's in a photograph, it's free advertising for them,
win-win for both parties. i've often read of other high profile royals over the years that expected to pay less or not wear.
in the news lately the late queen mother in britian, letters to her dressmakers during the war have come out, it's amusing looking at history -the stories on the sums spent for clothes, the tzarinas, the empresses, the queens, the princesses, shoot i'll bet Caesar complained about how much his wife spent, at least it's consistant ;) and i'm sure it sells papers.

Do you think that some of these items are giving to Mary? If it is a gift then no money comes from her allowance or personal wealth. I think that she is giving alot of things for friends, family and designers.

My guess is that she is given things by designers. Just as they do for actresses at award shows, designers often give gowns to prominent women who will be photographed and featured in magazines. It is free advertising for the designers. After all, what is more flattering than seeing a royal person or a world-famous actress in your design? If she is purchasing everything, then she should definitely recycle more. However, I would not be surprised to learn that designers either gave her gowns or lent gowns to her for events.

i have to think that she like all the other CP may get some staff for free as publicity, otherwise what kind of closet they should have to put all their dresses, gowns, hats, shoes, handbags etc........, may be they have a huge dressing room!????????

My guess is that she is given things by designers. Just as they do for actresses at award shows, designers often give gowns to prominent women who will be photographed and featured in magazines. It is free advertising for the designers.

But a Danish crown princess doesn't have the drawing power a Hollywood star has. She may be valuable for Danish designers, but international designers such as Prada? I'm not sure. Maxima paid for her Valentino gowns. Why would Prada give something to Mary for free when her name recognition is very limited on the world stage? Plus, royals belong to the small group of people who actually can afford haute culture. If top designers give clothes to these people for free, where do they make money from? BTW, most top designers who give stars gowns to wear for the Oscar actually ask for the gowns back after the show. It's a "loan", not a free gift.

Plus, it's okay for Hollywood actors/actresses to act greedy. Is it really acceptable for royals to accept freebies when they are already on taxpayers' dime? Nancy Reagan's accepting free gowns from designers caused a scandal in the US. Aren't royals in the same boat? Royals, and politians' wives, are held to a higher standard than actresses.

Last edited:
highpriestess....But a Danish crown princess doesn't have the drawing power a Hollywood star has. She may be valuable for Danish designers, but international designers such as Prada? I'm not sure. Maxima paid for her Valentino gowns.

How do you know Maxima paid for her gowns? We do not know if Mary was given a discount or not. This is just a personal opinion from someone that thought they might have. Once again it is a guessing game. None of us will ever know the truth either way.

highpriestess....But a Danish crown princess doesn't have the drawing power a Hollywood star has. She may be valuable for Danish designers, but international designers such as Prada? I'm not sure. Maxima paid for her Valentino gowns.

How do you know Maxima paid for her gowns? We do not know if Mary was given a discount or not. This is just a personal opinion from someone that thought they might have. Once again it is a guessing game. None of us will ever know the truth either way.

i agree with you, we will never know the trouth about a lot of things about them. how we know if they have a discount, pay in full , promotion, etc.....
certenly they have the money to pay all of this but in the other hand they do not use many times all this dresses and just for one time dress to pay a valentino o prada it is a lot of money !!!!!!!:flowers:

Well I don't know how mucht she spend on clothes but I waht I do know is that she should recycle more, she has almoust everyday a new outfit. Yes she recycles like the blue suit she has recycle a few days ago but I think that she could recycle more and not spend so mucht money on Prada bags and shoes.Her clothes are lovely and to me she is one of the best dressed Royal but also I think that she spends a lot of money on clothes and she should't

Biboquinhas,

Mary recycles more than almost every Crown Princess. If you go to the CPM message board there are huge threads devoted to her recycling. It just isn't followed on this board much. Also, Mary is no different than other Crown Princesses in dressing. I hope the critique is also is on their threads too. I think Mary dresses well. She, IMO, dresses better than the other Crown Princesses. I think her style is refined.

She does get a lot of loans too. Esp. in jewelry. Some jewelry she owns outright, many are gifts from designers who say so later. And yes, some are given to her by her husband. Clothes are the same way.

I have to disagree with you, Fashionista. Mary does not recycle her clothes more than any other Crown Princess. All of them recycle no more than any other average Judy, Jane, Sally, or Kate :)biggrin:) on Earth.

Furthermore, and this is not directed at you or anyone in paticular, but does it really matter all that much if Mary's clothes are SWAG or if she pays for them?

She has done quite a bit as Crown Princess, so far, and to nit pick everything she does seems frivolous and, to be blunt, pointless (equally so by counting as well as sorting photo by photo how many times she has recycled particluar skirt or top.) I mean, why?

Finally, it's not a competition as to who recycles more often and thus they are the better woman for doing so (and I'm not saying you said that, Fashionista:).)

Essentially, are there more important issues to discuss like Mary's involvement with the Danish Heart Association and/or her three day Basic Military training stint to name a few.

:)

Last edited:
does it really matter all that much if Mary's clothes are SWAG or if she pays for them?

She has done quite a bit as Crown Princess, so far, and to nit pick everything she does seems frivolous and, to be blunt, pointless
:)

Since her life style is paid for by tax payers, she does have to answer to tax payers when she seemingly spends a lot of money on expensive wardrobe and extravegant renovation. In today's political environment, royals need to justify their existence and extravegant life style doesn't enhance any royal's image.

Since her life style is paid for by tax payers, she does have to answer to tax payers when she seemingly spends a lot of money on expensive wardrobe and extravegant renovation. In today's political environment, royals need to justify their existence and extravegant life style doesn't enhance any royal's image.

Yes, that is true, but I'm not so sure that she spends five grand a day, more or less, on clothes.

Furthermore, I noted that perhaps some of the clothes she recieves may be SWAG (Danish designers only thus free advertisement in Billed Bladet, and other magazines, newspapers, and so forth) or offered to her at a steep discount (Prada, Hugo Boss, etc, etc.) If this were true, she wouldn't be spending five grand; in fact, it would be less...waaaaaaay less. Also, the papers would have no idea if she recieved the items via SWAG or steep discounts. They're only going by how much those ensembles originally cost to us little people. :D

Now, if there is an official list, with every single receipt for all the clothes, detailing every single minute item (including black panty hose) which notes she did indeed fork over that much money a day, then there is a problem.

The only list I know of (and another a year before) is the one Ricarda mentioned in a previous post, but that one is not as detailed. In fact, it's very basic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom