The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2016, 08:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've really been enjoying following the summer excursions and family get togethers and the interactions with the public and the generous amount of photos that shows a very close and caring family (including the dogs... can't exclude the dogs as prime family members).

As its been quite hot and uncomfortable in my little neck of the woods, the cooler temperatures, to me, make life so much more bearable and fun to be able to take part in so many different fun pastimes as seen in the photos.

Ahhhh... life is sweet.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-17-2016, 02:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

Interesting question.

It was always the intention that M&F should take over Gråsten, but it may very well be that J&M vacating Schackenborg has speeded up that process.

But that doesn't mean M&F has that big a choice anyway for going to a warmer place in their summer holiday.
Once they become the regent couple, it is also almost certain that it will be very much expected of them to take up residence at Marselisborg to maintain the DRF affiliation with Aarhus. - They take that very serious in Aarhus!
So IMO M&F might just as well get used to every summer to hop around from Fredensborg to Marselisborg to Gråsten to Trend and back to Fredensborg. With perhaps one week going south to sun and beaches - at most and not every summer.

As long as the Regent Couple is alive and active M&F can skip Marselisborg in the summer, but that won't last.
I think it makes sense that as Frederik and his family become more and more important and prominent in the functioning of the Danish royal court, Joachim and his family will drop off the radar to a corresponding degree. Frederik and Mary will start to have more privileges but also more responsibility. Joachim and Marie will have fewer privileges but more freedom. More freedom to, for example, not holiday at Grasten if they'd rather be in France!

That being said, Mary and Frederik seem to have taken to Grasten like ducks to water these past couple of summers. It doesn't look like they see "having" to vacation there as any sort of hardship. :)

Old 07-17-2016, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I completely agree. And having a beautiful castle with a large park to your disposal for a few weeks in the summer isn't so bad, is it?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Majesty

First photos but apparently no M&F and children: https://www.facebook.com/6400nyt/pho...70145759702652

That's a big disappointment.
For us but also the girl who looked forward to presenting flowers to Mary.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
First photos but apparently no M&F and children: https://www.facebook.com/6400nyt/pho...70145759702652

That's a big disappointment.
For us but also the girl who looked forward to presenting flowers to Mary.
They were never mentioned in the calendar entry. Perhaps this is a case of the newspaper just assuming that they would attend.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes unfortunately, the local JV.dk newspaper was wrong when they yesterday night wrote The Crown Prince Family would attend today. It was the Regent couple and Princess Alexandra with family.

JV.dk was our only source (they were never mentioned to attend in the royal calender) so they had their information wrong. Sadly now JV.dk had made us looking forward to see them today
The Crown Prince family have now been at Gråsten for 3 weeks, so I guess they have now left They now have 1-2 more weeks of their vacation - so maybe a little week abroad as well?

But well, we got so many wonderful pictures at the photo session yesterday,
here more pictures from the photo session at Gråsten:

Una divertida Josephine de Dinamarca, protagonista del posado familiar del verano - Foto 1

I have just re-watched the BB video...

Many lovely details and moments.. but I can't stop laughing of the dancing Josephine in the end of the video She has the rhythm. Precious.

VIDEO: Prinsesse Isabella overraskede på Gråsten | BILLED-BLADET

IIRC, I think we have seen all the four CP-children having danced to the marching music. Christian in 2007, Isabella in 2010, and Vincent in 2012. It must runs in the family genes...
Old 07-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I am a bit late to this but thanks again for everybody who posted infos & links. I always enjoy seeing the DRF children as they are very normal and authentic, posing in front of the cameras with no care in the world. There is never the feeling that I get with some other RFs who present their children, that the event is forced and let's get it done as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
A little disappointing that Joachim has yet again not shown up to the Queen's summer gathering. Surely summer vacations abroad can be planned to work with this family gathering, especially two years in a row.
To me J&M are a major disappointment for me, after they sold the farm they moved to Copenhagen to do what? Joachim is always so strict about who he is but where is the substance, a new purpose after the change? Marie hardly works, whats new.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
To me J&M are a major disappointment for me, after they sold the farm they moved to Copenhagen to do what? Joachim is always so strict about who he is but where is the substance, a new purpose after the change? Marie hardly works, whats new.
Well, if J&M are in France right now and since Marie has relatives in southern France I will not blame them if they had planned to show up at Gråsten but decided against it.

But otherwise I will agree with you, certainly in regards to Joachim.
They have now settled in their new home - in fact they've had plenty of time to settle and find their footing - and it is now time to really define a new role for themselves.
Especially Joachim, because our Marie has it easier as she is much more in the press and has involved herself with a number of charities and also become more active (we may assume) with the Civil Defense.
Joachim has quietly continued his jobs which are unfortunately not that high profiled. But as a man he doesn't get much coverage, so as I see it, he needs a pet-topic to focus on.
Frederik is excersize and the environment.
Mary has her foundation and other high profile topics.

PR has never been the strongest side of the DRF, so yes, J&M needs to step up, because they are still very much needed for the next ten years until Christian and Bella are old enough to at least stand in for their parents.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Especially Joachim, because our Marie has it easier as she is much more in the press and has involved herself with a number of charities and also become more active (we may assume) with the Civil Defense.
Joachim has quietly continued his jobs which are unfortunately not that high profiled. But as a man he doesn't get much coverage, so as I see it, he needs a pet-topic to focus on.
I've kept an eye on the official calendar for many years now, and I can only say, that the "official" DRF explanation for selling Schackenborg and moving to Copenhagen is really.... You know, the difficulty to live there and combine it with the work for the DRF. J&M moved to Cph two years ago, wasn't it, and that really doesn't show in the amount of official events that they do. It's not just a case of high/low profile events if the events are not there at all.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Majesty

A BB report from the procession today: Dronning Margrethe fik blomster, prins Henrik fik en dram | BILLED-BLADET

M&F's absence did disappoint people, including some of the riders but alas M&F had left Gråsten in the forenoon.

Article and gallery from Jyske Vestkysten: http://www.jv.dk/artikel/2345481:SOe...-om-dronningen

A woman told about a mother, who was out walking her dog and child, when she met Mary and Josephine and had a little chat.

- I must voice my displeasure.
Unless M&F had a plane to catch, would it have hurt if they had stayed a few hours more?
The majority of the people (and the riders) came to see Mary and especially the children.
I can understand if M&F didn't wish to upstage the Regent Couple, there are as we know some sensibilities there... But M&F could have been standing to the back and allowed the children to come forward. Very, very few grandparents will ever feel upstaged by their grandchildren, on the contrary.

That was a let down.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

It is a little disappointing not to see Frederik and family at the riders event but they had only done it once before, last year. It is very much have been the regent couple's event.
Plus they too have a right to vacation else where

Agree with the opinions of Joachim. Two years in a row where he can't put Gråsten in his calendar. Yes Marie has relatives in France, but thanks to its closeness she and Joachim have more opportunities to fly there throughout the year.

But back to the photo shoot, seeing Josephine dance is like seeing Isabella at that age. Very cute. But Christian and Vincent have also put their dancing shoes before.

It's nice to see Alexandra's son Richard today.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree, there's something odd about Joachim's absence, as I mentioned it on the other thread regarding J&M's general news. I have the feeling that if Marie wanted to go to France due to the attack on Bastille Day, this would have been explained.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:

- I must voice my displeasure.
Unless M&F had a plane to catch, would it have hurt if they had stayed a few hours more?

That was a let down.
Maybe they did have a plane to catch...Perhaps to visit Mary's relatives in Southern France... I think F&M have done their duty to Queen and country and Southern Jylland during 3 weeks at Gråsten.

I got the impression that Carina and Gustav also said "goodbye to Denmark", judging from her instagram.

Maybe they could alternate in the future? Next year, Joachim and Marie could stay at Gråsten for several weeks and attend the photo session. I'm sure there would be plenty of time for Marie to visit relatives in Southern France. It's not like her family lives in Australia.

It's a shame, that you see it as a "let down" on M&F's part...I think they have done quite enough this and last summer. Perhaps in the future, the court should start to state which members of the family attend the various events?
Old 07-18-2016, 07:45 AM
Majesty

I don't think J&M will stay for several weeks at Gråsten. No, that's M&F's domain now.
J&M could however stay for several weeks at Schackenborg, or alternatively a prolonged weekend at Gråsten, but no longer.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Nobility

How far is Schackenborg from Grasten? I was under the impression that J & M would be there on a fairly regular basis. Has that happened?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Majesty

Half an hour perhaps, no more.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice pictures of the Queen and Henrik (with Alexandra and family)
greeting the riders
Ringrideroptog i Gråsten | Kongehuset

Another gallery from the summer photo session
Kronprinsen afslører: Jeg drømte om at deltage i OL | SE og HØR

cute one of Mary and Henrik
http://www.seoghoer.dk/sites/seoghoe...?itok=yWdiSqrq

Henrik as a grandpa is great, here with Isabella
http://www.seoghoer.dk/sites/seoghoe...?itok=CzFRj63m

lovely family
http://www.seoghoer.dk/sites/seoghoe...?itok=u8Ugsn5S
Old 07-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

lovely photos, just wonder why the Queen was with pants and a white top and after changed to the pink suit?
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was actually the other way around. She and Henrik arrived from Marselisborg Palace for the photo opportunity at Gråsten shortly before it started – hence the formal wear – and about an hour later, the family appeared again to watch the changing of the guard – hence the casual wear

Quote:
I must voice my displeasure.
The majority of the people (and the riders) came to see Mary and especially the children.
I can understand if M&F didn't wish to upstage the Regent Couple, there are as we know some sensibilities there... But M&F could have been standing to the back and allowed the children to come forward. Very, very few grandparents will ever feel upstaged by their grandchildren, on the contrary.

That was a let down.
I agree. Unless QMII and Henrik had asked them specifically not to attend the procession, I see no reason why they should . I mean, I can understand that they might want a bit more "private" holiday before the Olympics but surely they could have spared a couple of hours for this. Perhaps from now on QMII and Henrik, and Frederik and Mary will alternate between receiving the procession each year?

Old 07-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

yes hopefully it was not a one time thing and they will alternate in the future. The kids seem to have enjoyed it, but also the regent couple, who have done it for years, enjoys it as well.
Hope Frederik, Mary and family have some nice weeks ahead before F&M go to Brazil and the kids start school.

a video from the photoshoot posted on the DRF facebook. how nice that the family appears twice.
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskeko...7940088544579/

Tags
annual photoshoot, grasten palace, photo shoot, royal life guards change, summer holiday