The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2015, 05:15 AM
Serene Highness

I am going to say it. An elderly woman holding a cigarette while holding her grandsons hand or dressed up in ball gowns and jewels is jarring and the opposite of classy. But it is her health.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Royal Highness

Surely she could have waited till she was on her own. Such a disgusting habit and such a bad example to her grandchildren.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Serene Highness

She has made it clear she does not care.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Shame she smokes around the small kids but at least it was outside. No doubt the raining weather made her wish for a smoke.
The DM articles are always of,f it included this "Crown Prince Frederik is also reported to be a smoker, but keeps the habit out of the public eye"
I had read that Frederik himself has stated that he has quit smoking, along the time Christian was on his way. Plus I dont think I seen a picture of him smoking in the past 10 years.
And reading the comments on the DM always lowers my IQ a bit, so I try not to lol
Old 08-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

And the "Margrethe smoking scandal" has reached all Danish media

EB
Billeder af rygende Margrethe går verden rundt – Ekstra Bladet

BT
Rygende dronning Margrethe vækker opsigt i udlandet: 'Ryger i selskab med børnene' - Royale | www.bt.dk

TV2
Udenlandske medier forarget over rygende Margrethe | Underholdning

Sometimes I get so happy by reading the Danish media, if this can be the top news we really live in a good and safe country
Old 08-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

hmmm its seems the Danish articles are just reporting that some outside media is criticizing the Queen for smoking; but they themselves are not really criticizing the queen.

and from the poll so far, its seems the majority do not mind the Queen smoking, maybe just not near the children

"Is it okay to Queen smoking near the grandkids?
Of course. It is her choice.
55.71%

It's fine that she smokes, but she should not do it publicly.
6.87%

She can smoke all she will - it should just not be in proximity of children
26.12%

No. She is a role model and should not at all smoke.
11.3%"
Old 08-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
hmmm its seems the Danish articles are just reporting that some outside media is criticizing the Queen for smoking; but they themselves are not really criticizing the queen.

and from the poll so far, its seems the majority do not mind the Queen smoking, maybe just not near the children

"Is it okay to Queen smoking near the grandkids?
Of course. It is her choice.
55.71%

It's fine that she smokes, but she should not do it publicly.
6.87%

She can smoke all she will - it should just not be in proximity of children
26.12%

No. She is a role model and should not at all smoke.
11.3%"

That's because any professional opinionist who dare to say QMII is wrong to smoke, can expect a barrage of "mind your own business messages" in return.
I have only smoked once in my entire life but I think it's great the QMII is not afraid to show that she is a smoker and that she doesn't give a hoot.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think its stubborness of age. She has smoked all her life, why stop now. Everybody knows that she not a good role model, especially around children but it wont change.

In Germany we have our former chancellor Helmut Schmidt, now around 90 years of age, who smokes everywhere he goes incl tv-interviews, everybody thinks its awful but at this age, its his business and he wont change his mind anymore. People think, just let him be, probably the same sentiment with Margrethe.

Smoking in public by high profile individuals who depend on public opinion will vanish with the Margrete generation. Its not politically correct any longer and gives a very wrong signal.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

It might just be me but I really don't think I can see the problem They were outside and it's not like she was actively blowing smoke in their faces. I've grown up with a mum who's a smoker, she's only ever smoked outside though and it hasn't hurt anyone but her own lungs (and I'm a swimmer so I'd know for sure if it had affected me ). I guess what I'm trying to say is – if it had bothered Mary and Frederik, I'm sure they would have either politely asked her if she could wait a little or simply kept the children at a distance from her. I don't understand this fuss

Old 08-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness

I mostly agree but I doubt she just smokes outside and second hand smoke is a very real issue. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't one of the children have asthma? That can't be heathy for them.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I mostly agree but I doubt she just smokes outside and second hand smoke is a very real issue. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't one of the children have asthma? That can't be heathy for them.
I believe its Joachim's son Henrik who has asthma. not sure if Felix too.
Sadly we have seen Joachim smoke near his sons, and I think Marie smokes too.
but then of course many kids have asthma and neither parents smokes
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Serene Highness

True but it can't be making the breathing any easier. The smoke stays on your clothes and hair also remember.

Oh well. They know risks and don't care. It's on them.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
It might just be me but I really don't think I can see the problem They were outside and it's not like she was actively blowing smoke in their faces. I've grown up with a mum who's a smoker, she's only ever smoked outside though and it hasn't hurt anyone but her own lungs (and I'm a swimmer so I'd know for sure if it had affected me ). I guess what I'm trying to say is – if it had bothered Mary and Frederik, I'm sure they would have either politely asked her if she could wait a little or simply kept the children at a distance from her. I don't understand this fuss
I was about to write exactly the same thing. It is a perfectly normal activity for Queen Margrethe to do whether indoors, outdoors, with people or alone - it's nothing new and far less concerning than other pollutants everyone seems happy to ignore.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Royal Highness

What no outrage from PETA and animal lovers?

Queen Margrethe drops her cigarette ashes on the dogs.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...7947443509.jpg
Old 08-05-2015, 01:59 AM
Serene Highness

That makes them real hot dogs I guess.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Surely she could have waited till she was on her own. Such a disgusting habit and such a bad example to her grandchildren.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I pretty much agree. But the media making 'a scandal' about Margrethe smoking a cigarette near the children. No, she is not a good example about that, but it isn't more worse.
But again, when it's summer vacation the media need to find something to write about
Old 08-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree . The poor media they don't know what write the summer and write just anything find.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

No, and unfortunately the poor Danish royal members must pay for it
Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes i agree
Old 08-12-2015, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I agree . The poor media they don't know what write the summer and write just anything find.
maybe they should snoop around on internet forums, sometimes we posters invent more spectacular stories than the gossip press

Tags
annual photoshoot, grasten palace, photo shoot, royal life guards change, summer holiday