Annual Photo Shoots & Holidays At Gråsten Slot: 2003, 2005-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No.
There is no other photo shoot planned.

But it is almost certain that we will see some photos of the family out and about in Gråsten town, but not from inside the palace grounds. That's against the law, without permission.

Strictly speaking it's also against the law to take photos of the family and publish these photos outside the palace grounds. As that is a breach of their privacy - as long of course they are not performing an official function. But the DRF usually tolerate it, especially if the photographers stand in the open, say: Hi, we are from XX, do you mind if we take a few snaps?

So is this the first time in a long time that the Queen does not conduct a summer photocall?

So is this the first time in a long time that the Queen does not conduct a summer photocall?

Things are changing.

Beforehand QMII was the first to go to Gråsten. Usually at the end of July and sometimes missing the ring-rider procession. Then her family would join her for a week or so and during that week there would be a photo shoot in the garden and that was about it. Perhaps with a photo shoot in Legoland as well.
But due to other holiday plans, often J&M wouldn't be there. - (And that led to endless speculations about the internal relationships between J&M and M&F in particular, so I guess the DRF simply decided to keep it simple.)

And in recent years M&F are staying at Gråsten for a couple of weeks during mid July, and leaving a few days after QMII joined them. That means they are now almost always present when the ring rider procession takes place.
That has become a tradition which they are obliged to uphold anyway in the future. The Monarch has for the past 150 years changed residence during the summer in order to maintain the affiliation with various parts of DK. Hence why QMII go to Fredensborg, Marselisborg, Gråsten and do her summer cruise aboard Dannebrog.
That's what is expected of M&F in the future as well. They may not have time for more than a very short holiday abroad during the summer months in the future. The rest of their holiday will be spend in DK, or at least within the realm.

So while J&M appear to spend most of their summer holiday in France, with only the occasional visit to Gråsten, combined with the Berleburgs being reduced to basically Benedikte, because Gustav, Nathalie and Alexandra and their families live their lives - there really isn't that big a family gathering there anymore. And as such IMO hardly a need for a big photo shoot.
It also seems like M&F have made a kind of deal with the press. Their presence at Gråsten is low key and relaxed, including the fairly informal ring rider procession. On the other hand the press can have a few snaps here and there of the family relaxing.

So I guess photo shoots in the garden will be reserved for larger family gatherings, at several years intervals.

That's what is expected of M&F in the future as well. They may not have time for more than a very short holiday abroad during the summer months in the future. The rest of their holiday will be spend in DK, or at least within the realm.
But Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik have spent weeks in France every year, usually August. Doesn't seem to bother anyone.

Perhaps F&M will do things a bit differently in the future: Spend, say, a couple of weeks at Marselisborg during Easter and summer, a couple of weeks at Gråsten and having done their "duty", the rest of the holiday at Chateau De Cayx or where ever they want. At Fredensborg Palace they would live part time anyway.

Joachim and Marie could perhaps also take a couple of weeks to help with "keeping affiliation"? What about taking turns: This year, F&M stay at Gråsten and next year J&M or at Marselisborg. It's not like J&M wouldn't have time to holiday in France and opportunity to spend time with family there if they did.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes. but M&F's children go to school, which start in early August.

And the problem is that J&M is not the future regent couple. It's M&F people want so to see in the summer.
And for Southern Jutland, especially since J&M no longer live at Schackenborg, (But only visit the place, so a similar event as yesterday would IMO not take place at Gråsten, but Schackenborg.) that means a lot to the locals.

J&M could indeed stand in, during years where M&F are say in Australia during the summer months or during Easter or at Christmas. - But they would stay at Schackenborg, not Gråsten.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes. but M&F's children go to school, which start in early August.

J&M could indeed stand in, during years where M&F are say in Australia during the summer months or during Easter or at Christmas. - But they would stay at Schackenborg, not Gråsten.

Yes, yes, the kids go back to school in August and it will be another 10 years or so before F&M can think of spending August in France without the kids. Ok, maybe not that long. Christian and Isabella will be 20+ at the time.

I was mostly thinking of you saying that in the future, F&M wouldn't have time to spend more than "a very short" holiday abroad. QM spending 3 weeks at Chateau de Cayx is not that short.

Certain things are expected of the future regent couple but not everything has to be done the same way it's been done for the past 50 (or more) years. Times change and I'm sure people would understand that the future regent couple spend parts of the holiday in Denmark and part abroad.

Oh yes, you can easily imagine all sorts of solutions so to speak about king Frederik and queen Mary's tour of residences.

What is important is that they spend time at each residence at least once a year.

Okay, Amalienborg will be their home on a day to day basis and their workplace, as well as winter residence. So that's occupied most of the year.
Then they could very well use Fredensborg (or more correctly Kancellihuset) and Trend as a weekend retreat.
That leaves Gråsten, Marselisborg, Cayz and Fredensborg and to some extent at least Trend for the holidays. Not to mention a private cruise aboard Dannebrog - after all the crew needs practice.

The schools are off for six weeks during the summer. Before and after that they are unlikely to go abroad or leave the area around Copenhagen. Although M&F themselves are expected to go on two summer cruises aboard Dannebrog.
That means six weeks for a trip aboard and/or divided between Trend, Cayz, Marselisborg, Dannebrog and Gråsten.
IMO they could spend two weeks at each place of their choice. The question is which ones, because it would simply be too stressful IMO to go to more than three places max.
I leave out Fredensborg, because they may very well use Fredensborg as their summer residence because that still enables the children to go to school/high school.

Then there is Easter, the winter holiday in week 7 and the autumn holiday in week 42, as well as Christmas.
Okay, I think we can leave out the winter holiday as they are usually in Switzerland at this time of year.
So that leaves Christmas, Easter and week 42, which they will spend where?

---------------------

That's the reasoning. Let's now go to the bottom line:

So dear fellow TRF'ers. How would you divide the time M&F should spend in their various residences? ?
You have:
Fredensborg.
Marselisborg.
Trend.
Cayz.
Gråsten.
Abroad on a private holiday.
A private cruise aboard Dannebrog.

The times are:
Easter.
Christmas. i.e. weeks 51 & 52.
Week 42/the autumn holiday.
Six weeks of summer holiday.

You may use this little guide as a help: https://app.box.com/s/5pc2zsdggt19264bqvfd

Last edited:
When have they been in Cayz the last time? I think it was at Prince Henrik's 80th birthday in 2014. I don't see them holidaying there every year like Margrethe and Henrik did.

:previous: Interesting question. And it makes you wonder whether they will eventually sell the place and put the money in the piggy bank for the children.

Thankfully the weather is better this year wasn't it pouring rain during last years photoshoot?

Photoshoot Graasten

No.
There is no other photo shoot planned.

But it is almost certain that we will see some photos of the family out and about in Gråsten town, but not from inside the palace grounds. That's against the law, without permission.

Strictly speaking it's also against the law to take photos of the family and publish these photos outside the palace grounds. As that is a breach of their privacy - as long of course they are not performing an official function. But the DRF usually tolerate it, especially if the photographers stand in the open, say: Hi, we are from XX, do you mind if we take a few snaps?

thank you, i tough anniversary photos of family. goodbye.

Oh yes, you can easily imagine all sorts of solutions so to speak about king Frederik and queen Mary's tour of residences.

What is important is that they spend time at each residence at least once a year.

Okay, Amalienborg will be their home on a day to day basis and their workplace, as well as winter residence. So that's occupied most of the year.
Then they could very well use Fredensborg (or more correctly Kancellihuset) and Trend as a weekend retreat.
That leaves Gråsten, Marselisborg, Cayz and Fredensborg and to some extent at least Trend for the holidays. Not to mention a private cruise aboard Dannebrog - after all the crew needs practice.

The schools are off for six weeks during the summer. Before and after that they are unlikely to go abroad or leave the area around Copenhagen. Although M&F themselves are expected to go on two summer cruises aboard Dannebrog.
That means six weeks for a trip aboard and/or divided between Trend, Cayz, Marselisborg, Dannebrog and Gråsten.
IMO they could spend two weeks at each place of their choice. The question is which ones, because it would simply be too stressful IMO to go to more than three places max.
I leave out Fredensborg, because they may very well use Fredensborg as their summer residence because that still enables the children to go to school/high school.

Then there is Easter, the winter holiday in week 7 and the autumn holiday in week 42, as well as Christmas.
Okay, I think we can leave out the winter holiday as they are usually in Switzerland at this time of year.
So that leaves Christmas, Easter and week 42, which they will spend where?

---------------------

That's the reasoning. Let's now go to the bottom line:

So dear fellow TRF'ers. How would you divide the time M&F should spend in their various residences? ?
You have:
Fredensborg.
Marselisborg.
Trend.
Cayz.
Gråsten.
Abroad on a private holiday.
A private cruise aboard Dannebrog.

The times are:
Easter.
Christmas. i.e. weeks 51 & 52.
Week 42/the autumn holiday.
Six weeks of summer holiday.

You may use this little guide as a help: https://app.box.com/s/5pc2zsdggt19264bqvfd

Do they need to use both Marselisborg and Trend. King Frederik IX. and Queen Ingrid did not use Marselsborg much and preferred Trend. Marselisborg was then given to Margrethe when she married. Margrethe however did not use Trend. So perhaps one of them will given to Christian when he marries.

Do they need to use both Marselisborg and Trend. King Frederik IX. and Queen Ingrid did not use Marselsborg much and preferred Trend. Marselisborg was then given to Margrethe when she married. Margrethe however did not use Trend. So perhaps one of them will given to Christian when he marries.

They don't need to but I can personally imagine they might wanna continue QMII's sort-of tradition of celebrating Christmas at Marselisborg. Frederik is also quite fond of Marselisborg since he lived there when he studied in Aarhus, so although it's mainly occupied by QMII and I can't envision them spending quite as much time there as QMII does now, I don't get the feeling it's a place M&F – or at least Frederik – associate with obligation as much as with a genuine joy to be back in Aarhus. But I also don't think it's at all unlikely that one or more of the children might opt to do like Frederik and study in Aarhus.

They will certainly have to use Marselisborg, otherwise the locals will be miffed!
There were serious talks about Aarhus municipality buying back the place, during the reign of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid because they weren't there often enough.
They may only use it once a year, say Easter. But they'll have to go there.
And when their children will attend a university, it's very likely IMO that at least one of them will study in Aarhus and as such live at Marselisborg.

As for Trend. I cannot imagine they will stop going there. It's clearly a place they are very fond of and they tend to go there often, Early Easter (which in DK de facto lasts more than a week. From Friday afternoon, then the full week before Easter and ending Tuesday morning after Easter, because Monday is a bank holiday.) and week 42. And also up to New Year it seems.

They can't give up Gråsten either.
While Joachim lived at Schackenborg they could perhaps get away with not going there every year, but that's out of the question now.

They don't need to but I can personally imagine they might wanna continue QMII's sort-of tradition of celebrating Christmas at Marselisborg. Frederik is also quite fond of Marselisborg since he lived there when he studied in Aarhus, so although it's mainly occupied by QMII and I can't envision them spending quite as much time there as QMII does now, I don't get the feeling it's a place M&F – or at least Frederik – associate with obligation as much as with a genuine joy to be back in Aarhus. But I also don't think it's at all unlikely that one or more of the children might opt to do like Frederik and study in Aarhus.

Agree.

But somehow I don't think they'll feel quite at home at Marselisborg as it is now...
QMII has described it as "an awful big house with awful little room", somehow the architect didn't consider that royals might have children! :D
And anyone who has seen the inside of Marselisborg will know that it's very much a place decorated by QMII with her fondness of very vivid colors and just as vivid patterns. Groovy...
I don't think I could live there without having psychedelic nightmares. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you polyesco; that's a lovely gallery indeed. I particularly like the photos of little Josephine looking like she's smelling Mary's bouquet and Christian putting his hands upon his father's shoulders - he looks more like his father in this photo too, though I've always thought he favoured Mary more in his looks (but with Frederik's mannerisms).

I liked this year’s photo shoot. All the children are really growing up but Isabella, in particular, has matured. She looks so tall! Christian, too - I think he’ll tower over both Frederik and Mary.

Wonderful photos of the photosession today (...)

Here are some little 'situations galleries' :flowers:

People's Grace.
The Crown Prince family's 1 year old Border Collie, Grace, has proven to be just as folksy and popular as her owners. During the Crown Prince family's summer photo session she stole the show as she walked the whole way back and forth to greet the city's citizens.
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=74c63df32eb0f4bd2e9ff89af40a7f0f&oe=5BCF1E30
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=3e20533afa052727a36f07a919018347&oe=5BE63AF0
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=31d5fb3d9c032a2d0777e04c71c0b6be&oe=5BE8ACD4
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=41085412e18c2f594b261b103a93069b&oe=5BEA6013

I love the anecdote of Mary comforting the girl who was upset (I'm guessing she was just a regular member of the public?) - both she and Frederik seem to have really down to earth and approachable personalities. One can see Mary's maternal instinct showing as she seemed very quick to comfort the little girl as she would one of her own children ? That will be a pretty cool albeit a little embarrassing story for the girl to tell at parties once she's older!

Denmark's loving Crown Princess.
During yesterday's Ringrideroptog in Gråsten a younger participant became a bit overwhelmed, which Crown Princess Mary sensed. After a warm hug and sweet words, it was a happy girl who again went on to the Ringrideroptog.
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=964ce2dd115aa2b3d920bd6bdadd9880&oe=5BDECC94
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=406b0a9bdc0a7eb9ea428a0dea4f90e5&oe=5BDCCB2F
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=8d2031628a08f8766e2a4868a97d764b&oe=5BD54D0C

Folksy like her parents.
HRH Princess Isabella yesterday during the Crown Prince family's summer photo session in Gråsten.
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=707d758a4ba715d2e44d8e702a0d1ca7&oe=5BCEAFE3
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=7c5d3b9adad4d8e8b016f9f90e6dacec&oe=5BE4598A
https://scontent.fcph2-1.fna.fbcdn....=4d62fcb4666ea3c7d2ba0201d7d41140&oe=5BE6564D

A glimpse during the Crown Prince Family's photo session.
https://www.facebook.com/2352278166...5227816664642/894223064098444/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
Grace is great - I love dogs! What happened to Ziggy? Not alive anymore...?!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #29, 2018.
Written by our man on the spot, Ulrik Ulriksen.

Some 300 riders and bands paraded past M&F and their children outside Gråsten.

It was the four girls of the family who got most attention, Mary, Bella, Josephine and Grace. - The boys remained in the background.

Both Josephine and Bella ride at the nearby riding school and as such they knew quite a few of the girls in the procession.
At some point a girl approached the family (red skirt, striped t-shirt), but she got overwhelmed and began to cry. So Mary had to comfort her and gave her a hug, while Josephine and Bella offered positive vibrations.
Before the procession started three little girls were noticed among the onlookers, they were standing clutching flowers in their hands, eager to present them to Isabella. After a little nudging she went over and accepted the flowers, to the general delight of the locals.

Our reporter noticed a few details:
M&F returned back to Gråsten on bicycle about an hour before the show started.

Bella went over to the riding school, while they were preparing for the procession.

It was Josephine who received (or accepted) the majority of the flowers.

It delighted Vincent when he and his siblings each got a big lollipop by a rider.

Frederik laughed when he was presented with a liquorice pipe. Which he put in his pocket. Such a thing: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Liquorice_Pipe_On_White.jpg

The horse Tarzan got a particular warm greeting by Mary. She know the horse (and probably rides it) from the riding school.

----------------

In the mean time J&M are on holiday abroad somewhere. (My guess is France.)

Here are the scans for this week: https://app.box.com/s/gq0ay1zqhtfierrqdanz4ca1wzb74yzc

And from last week, but there really isn't much happening DRF-wise these weeks! https://app.box.com/s/ecyas2fhffo1eg4mm0qu2632jmcrxbcl

And we have a local news report from QMII arriving at Gråsten. And being welcomed there, before driving into the palace itself.
https://www.jv.dk/soenderborg/Se-billederne-Klapsalver-og-taarer-for-dronningen/artikel/2628851

There is a 23 pic gallery.
But the article is more about the onlookers.
One of them is Maria Vasileva with her children, from Russia. Who came to DK a month ago, because her husband has found work in Gråsten.
She said: "We are here to see the Queen, we've never seen her before."

Another is Elin Johannsen, who actually usually receive QMII at Gråsten palace along with the staff there.
"I have been a flower-decorator at the palace for 31 years, but I was laid off on 1st April. So it's the first time I receive the Queen here on the square. Without the DRF there was no Gråsten."
She is accompanied by Olivia Spokauskiene from Lithuania, and her two children. Olivia Spokauskiene was an exchange student who lived at the Johannsen home years back.
"It's exciting to see the Queen, because we have no queen back home."

When the mayor delivers his speech, someone among the crowd shouts: "Yahoo!" very loud!

Another among the crowd is Yue Sun from China, who has lived for ten years in the nearby town of Sønderborg. (No doubt working at Danfoss) He has his parents visiting for the first time.
"I've seen the Queen on TV, but I've never had the opportunity to see her in real life. When we heard that the Queen of Denmark would come here, then there was a chance to see her. Here it's possible to get close to Queen, in contrast to the Chinese leaders who are distant from us."

The experience moved the family and Yue Sun added:
"It was fantastic and I was very moved. The Queen has lost her husband, but she smiled ad looked healthy and well. I wish her a good life. It was very emotional for me, so I almost cried."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is some crowd that showed up to greet Queen Margrethe!

I just want to say that I am totally bummed that there will not be a photoshoot in the Grasten gardens this year.

That's the first such photo I have seen of them this summer.

It's nice to see that people leave them alone. - Even though I also do like to see them out and about like this.

The Queen looks radiant and Prince Joachim and family will not attend?

IIRC, the last one was 3 years ago. 2015?
You're absolutely right. Last year they let the horse parade event serve as the photocall and I was not pleased with that. In 2016 the photocall was not in the garden, rather the DRF stood in one of the doorways of the palace and then came back out for what I guess was a changing of the guard. While not a garden photocall, that set up was totally OK with me.

I would also like to see a garden photocall again because the sceneries are the best. But I guess it would only happen when J&M and the SWBs come to stay at Grasten, and it's getting less likely when the children have all grown up.

I wouldn't mind if only Daisy and the CP family participate though...

Back
Top Bottom