Annual Photo Shoots & Holidays At Gråsten Slot: 2003, 2005-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, despite all his faults he certainly is approachable and has a way with children and young people.
In that respect Frederik is very much PH's son.

"Friday, July 22, 2016, there were large changing of the guard at Gråsten Palace. The Royal Life Guards took part in the changing of the guard and played several numbers in the inner palace yard."

The Queen, Benedikte, Alexandra's husband and son were there
Vagtskifte på Gråsten Slot | Kongehuset

Trivia based on an article in Billed Bladet #29, 2016.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Let's start with the scans: https://app.box.com/s/z3lurrtz3a77zqt0q8m5tz5i3vfeni4y

As you know PH took his grandchildren and comtessa (I think it's called in English) Ingrid of Berleburg for a spin. - Her older brother joined the family later.
They returned when the changing of the guards at noon was in full swing. Ph racing in first followed by a more careful driver in the shape of Bella, who had an adjutant with her, who sat with Josephine on his lap. That's why Vincent was the first to present mother with flowers.

As you know the children played fetch with the Berleburg dog, Ella.
And when our reporters went back for the procession they met Ella, who had run away. Trine Larsen called the dog to her and shortly after they met the Berleburgs who were out in a car looking for their runaway.

It was a rainy day when the procession took place and initially QMII wore and umbrella, but that spooked the horses when the riders came to present flowers to her, so handed it over. And as a result got fairly wet.
In fact quite a few had brought flowers for Mary, but she wasn't there, so Princess Alexandra of Berleburg got some of them instead.

I missed the photo call as I was offline for a while, though I think the photos are wonderful and it's nice to see the family together. I agree that it's a pity not to see Joachim and his family there, and the fact that they volunteered to go to their own photoshoot (I understand they do this every year, but still) seems rather anti-social (I couldn't find a kinder alternative of this word) to me. I hope they'll be able to participate next year.

Whilst he does have his moments, I still think that Henrik is a loving grandfather and it's clear that his grandchildren enjoy being with him. It was nice to see him with them. The CP children are adorable and I do agree that it seems Josephine is becoming the new Isabella! :D The photo of her with Vincent is too cute.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #30, 2016.
Written by Trine Larsen.

While PH darted off to Chateau Cayx and J&M in France within days, Benedikte and QMII had a sisterly bonding time at Gråsten. And that included going to museums.
In particular the Fabergé exhibition at the medieval castle Koldinghus. (*) For which Benedikte is patron. - I went to see it with my wife and it was absolutely worth seeing! The craftsmanship is amazing!

Then the two of them went to Sønderskov Hovedgård, near the small town of Brørup. Sønderskov Hovedgård, was a manor that is now a local museum. But before that it was a fortified manor and you can tell from seeing the place! http://teilmann.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/soenderskovslot.jpg
The current main building is from 1620 and it was build in a strict and austere Protestant style.
Here one of the most sensational finds from the Viking age is currently is on display. It's a gold hoard consisting of arm rings weighing a little more than a kilo and found nearby a few months ago. Archeologist and historians had a collective orgasm when they saw it!

It would have been next to impossible to keep QMII away from that exhibition!
The gold pieces are of such a quality that they may very well have belonged to people very, very close to her predecessors some 1.200 years ago.

That find has been classified as "danefæ", i.e. a national treasure.
The law states that everything found in the ground in DK that is of significant historical, archeological and cultural value is "danefæ", and as such it belongs to the state - that is the people. It is criminal to sell or melt "danefæ". So if I walk on a field (it happens often, when our dog and I are hunting sausages BTW) and I find say a gold ring and I think it's old, it's my duty to deliver it to a museum, preferably with a description of where I found it. Here it will be assessed by expert and if it turns out to be a "danefæ" I will get a finders fee and a sum representing the value of the find.
These years where quality metal-detectors are affordable find are literally pouring into the museums! Right now there is a waiting list of 1½ year for items to be classified and valued.
If it'n not classified as a "danefæ" I can keep it. The same thing with broken axe or arrow heads made from flint from the Stone Age, which you can find all over the place. You don't have to hand in such items.

The legislation at sea is even more simple: Everything on the seabed or under the seabed, that is more than 100 years old belongs to the state.

And thus ends this days archeological lecture. :graduate:

BB from this week: https://app.box.com/s/e20evxqf0xqflm7z41dt7q3admvmnzom

(*) Hus, which today means house, is the old Danish word for castle, abbey or large residence made from stone. In medieval times that word was replaced by the German "burg", which evolved into the Danish "borg" which today means castle.
So Koldinghus simply means Kolding Castle.

Last edited:
What a lovely video. So nice to see that they are having some sisterly time together. They must share so many happy childhood summer memories from there.

So nice that the three sisters can spend some time together, in a place that is very special for the family

I suppose the Queen will go th Caix now.
The 2 Princes are in Rio. Is Princess Benedicte Regent ?

I suppose the Queen will go th Caix now.
The 2 Princes are in Rio. Is Princess Benedicte Regent ?

It looks like the Queen will still be in Denmark until the 9th. Benedikte is listed as regent on the 9th and Joachim is regent starting the 10. Frederik as part of the IOC will be in Brazil till the 21st. He also has an event in Brazil for the Danish Sustainability Days on the 15th.

more photos from the sisters stay in Grasten
Sommer på Gråsten Slot | Kongehuset
August 4th they attended the changing of the guards

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer vacation in Queen's Ingrid's spirit :)

Next week, the Danish school children's summer holiday begins and I can see in the official royal calendar that Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary have official events until 29 June. We must wait to see if more official events will be added, but I think we can count on that the Crown Prince Couple with their four children, Prince Christian, Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine, then are doing on a well-deserved private summer vacation.

Like last year, the Crown Prince family have again chosen to spend the largest part of their summer vacation in the nature surroundings at Gråsten Castle in South Jutland, and in this way continuing Queen Ingrid's tradition.

It writes the Gråsten local newspaper:
http://graastenavis.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/grasten-21_17-web.pdf

They write that Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and the children will be moving in at Gråsten from the end of June.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik will be at Gråsten from the 15th of July.

Good, then we can expect a trickle of photos over the summer, hopefully culminating in the official photo shoot and hopefully also the ring-rider-procession.
I'll look forward to seeing the two cousins Josephine and Athena all over the place. :D

Good, then we can expect a trickle of photos over the summer, hopefully culminating in the official photo shoot and hopefully also the ring-rider-procession.
IIRC, there were very few photos from last years stay at Gråsten except for the photo session. The summer before, 2015, there were more because F&M were the ones receiving the ring-rider-procession.

Mary did post a few photos on DRF instagram last July. Of the gardens. ;)
They are not that keen on private family photos or.

Joachim & Marie did make up for that with was it 3 or 4 family photos during that one month.

UGENS AVIS - Gråsten Avis

Yesterday, Monday, Frederik, Mary and the children arrived and moved in at Gråsten. They will stay for 3 weeks. I hope they will have a wonderful time :flowers: and be left alone from the press most of the time.

:previous: The first few days won't be much fun for the kids. It's going to rain. Seriously rain!

UGENS AVIS - Gråsten Avis

Yesterday, Monday, Frederik, Mary and the children arrived and moved in at Gråsten. They will stay for 3 weeks. I hope they will have a wonderful time :flowers: and be left alone from the press most of the time.

Hope they have a nice and quiet time. They seem to enjoy staying here and going out to the surrounding areas

A Danish local woman wrote yesterday on the newssite Frederik&Mary Facebook that she saw Mary with a dog in Gråsten. She wrote a comment and tagged her friend. Like: "Oh that's why we saw Mary and the dog today, Clara".

So that made me wonder if we soon will get a picture from Mary with the CP-familiy's new little family member? :) It could also just be another dog, so we must wait and see....

BB informs us in the magazine issue this week that M&F will stay at Gråsten for about three weeks.
That will include the ringrider procession on the 16th July. - As you may recall quite a few of us were disappointed last year, when M&F left just before the procession. But this year the PR man from the ringrider Processions is looking forward to M&F being there.
I imagine they will leave shortly after the procession.

QMII will also be there on the 16th.

Benedikte and her children will arrive sometime during July.

J&M and children are not mentioned in the article, so I think it's doubtful they will be there for the annual photo shoot. Instead I expect we will get a separate summer shoot with them.

Ah, the annual Gråsten photo call will soon be upon us - I always look forward to it and it will be, once again, great to see everyone there this year.

When do the schools break up for the summer in Denmark? I have in my head that it's sometime between this week and the next, but I'm not sure.

BB informs us in the magazine issue this week that M&F will stay at Gråsten for about three weeks.
That will include the ringrider procession on the 16th July. - As you may recall quite a few of us were disappointed last year, when M&F left just before the procession. But this year the PR man from the ringrider Processions is looking forward to M&F being there.
I imagine they will leave shortly after the procession.

QMII will also be there on the 16th.

Benedikte and her children will arrive sometime during July.

J&M and children are not mentioned in the article, so I think it's doubtful they will be there for the annual photo shoot. Instead I expect we will get a separate summer shoot with them.

Hopefully Frederik and Mary are at the ringrider parade and the annual shoot. The kids seem to have enjoy themselves watching the horses and riders, two years back.
It will be really disappointing if Joachim skips the Queen's summer photo shoot for the third year straight. I think the Queen enjoys bringing the family together at Gråsten. And it kinda does not make sense for Joachim to do his own.

Looking forward to all the pictures :flowers:

The Danish summer holidays started on June 24 and will end on August 8. The first school day after the holidays is on August 9.

I don't know about other schools in Denmark but for Christian and Isabella, the last day of summer holiday is Friday the 11th and I assume they go back to school on Monday the 14th.

Tranegårdskolen - Feriekalender

:previous:

I once read that schools in Denmark can decide for themselves when they'd like to have their first day of school after the summer break. Of course only in a predetermined span of a couple of days, not weeks ;) So schools can decide to add a few more days, instead of starting school in the middle of a week.

Thank you, iceflower and Nordic for answering my questions about the Danish term dates.

Here in England schools break up on July 21, but private schools can choose to break up earlier if they wish. When I attended a private school, I always broke up in early July (usually between July 5 - 10). Schools often go back in the first week of September.

Beautiful pictures Eya :flowers:

But even more beautiful if they haven't been there - the pictures - can't the media just left the Crown Prince Couple alone a few weeks during a year.

Anyway, F&M (and the children) obviously love to horseback riding in the beautiful scenery around Gråsten. While Mary always has been in love with horses, I see Frederik has come to enjoy horses just as much.

The Gråsten Ring Riders Parade 2017

On 16th July
The Regent Couple and the Crown Prince Family will receive the ring riders parade at Gråsten Castle 12 noon.

Yaeh lovely summer news! :wub:
I enjoyed so much when Frederik, Mary and all four children recieved the ring riders at Gråsten. Do you remember the delightful and funny pictures?

Now we can look forward to many more in next weekend.

Here a nice little look back from 2015 :D And Josephine with her broken arm...
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kronpri...42/photos/?tab=album&album_id=427327080788047

:previous: Thank you for the lovely trip down memory lane. The pictures from 2015 were wonderful! Glad they are joining the Queen and Henrik this year. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom