The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
If there is a regular photoshoot - no official event but something that has become a habit over the years - I think at least the CP couple should make an effort and show up. I don't care if they are angry with the media or not, if they are there are other ways to address this, and I'd rather give no reason at all for their absence than telling that they got stuck in traffic. What a silly excuse. Who are they? Commuters who are driving to work? That's a joke. It's their decision when to show themselves / their children during vacation but such photoshoots should take priority. I personally like the Danish attitude that they are often with their children on private occasions or even bring them along to events, something that the Dutch or Spanish never do, simply because I believe that the earlier the children learn to cope or the more natural the relation with the media becomes the better because they will have to live with it for the rest of their lifes, especially their heir / heiresses. Therefore it's important to respect such photoshoots with the monarch couple because people want to see the line of succession = Fred (& Mary) plus Christian (& Isabella). Joachim and Marie would be a nice asset but apart from that they are rather unimportant.
I entirely agree. Also, lets not forget that Frederik and Mary, were they "stuck in traffic," is trailed by at least one car with police protection officers, who could have put on the blue lights or called for reinforcements to bring our Crown Prince couple and their children to Gråsten on time!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I entirely agree. Also, lets not forget that Frederik and Mary, were they "stuck in traffic," is trailed by at least one car with police protection officers, who could have put on the blue lights or called for reinforcements to bring our Crown Prince couple and their children to Gråsten on time!
Not only that ... show me the photographer would go up to QM and say sorry M'am but I can't wait another 30 min for the CP couple to arrive as I have another important photoshoot on my agenda today. This traffic jam "excuse" exposes a disgraceful and disrespectful attitude of the CP couple towards the danish taxpayer public. Bottom line: either give a really good reason for your absence or show up at such traditional occasions as the annual Grasten shoot.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Okay, we get it!
Can we please move away from the whole traffic jam discussion. It's been done ad nauseum at this point. Move on and nit pick about something else if it pleases you, but stay on topic.

Thanks.

GT
Danish Mod
Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Bottom line: either give a really good reason for your absence or show up at such traditional occasions as the annual Grasten shoot.
Did Henrik give a good reason for his abscence in the last years, did Joachim?
And is it really such an important traditional occasion when Henrik and Joachim usually don't attend?
Just because M&F were there in the last years it is suddenly a must-do for them and if they don't show up it's disrespectful towards the Danish taxpayers?

Besides, the photo-shoots usually were a few days later, this time there was an earlier date chosen. The CP couple tried to be there but they couldn't make it on time. I think it's a pity but I don't have a problem with it.
And I almost hope they will create a new tradition of not showing up at this occasion regularly.

Quote:
Villemann
Also, lets not forget that Frederik and Mary, were they "stuck in traffic," is trailed by at least one car with police protection officers, who could have put on the blue lights or called for reinforcements to bring our Crown Prince couple and their children to Gråsten on time!
Oh yes, they should have used blue light and called for reinforcements - like in emergency cases - because it's so important to be in Graasten on time to show the Danish media their respect. The Danish media people always showed respect to "their" CP couple and their privacy, didn't they?

Quote:
"Stuck in traffic." I don't buy that.
Well, I buy it. Others my fill book with lies but I think the DRF wouldn't use such an excuse if it wasn't true.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
And some pictures from the Photo Session
Henrik
Ingrid and Mummy
Mormor and Richard
Her Majesty
Her Maj & Henrik

Two pictures of Frederik & Mary (with their children) arriving at the Palace later in the day

(Soren Steffen)
Could someone tell me what "Mormor" means?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by envoy2400 View Post
These photoshoots are intended to give the press access to the family and children in a controlled setting, so they don't get chased by paparazzi.
The couple was chased to the beach; therefore the agreement was broken, therefore they don't show up.
JMHO
As far as I know such an agreement doesn’t exist in Denmark. It´s a specific Dutch thing and the Danes have another picture policy. And why should they punish all photographers collectively? This would be utterly silly since those photographers who gather in Grasten are more or less the “friendly” ones who document Frederik and Mary´s work throughout the year. I assume Frederik and Mary know perfectly well, that they depend on them. Royalblog.nl has an entry about the photosession: The photographers are disappointed about the meagre result of the photoshot. And who could blame them? At least two of them travelled all the way from The Netherlands to Denmark. And these two are by no means paparazzis. It seems the DRF also doesn´t bother to announce who is part of the photosession. And of course pictures including Frederik and Mary sell much better than what they got last weekend. Let´s face it: Margrethe in her chequered dress (just like last year) and Henrik in crocs and an age old shirt: they come across like an ordinary retired couple who was interrupted during their garden work and sat down at the stairs for a snapshot. Thank god for the SWB branch, who at least put a bit of effort into their appearance. If I was a professional photographer I would be annoyed too. The DRF should think about organizing these photo shots a bit more professionally.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Commoner

The meaning of Mormor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzen View Post
Could someone tell me what "Mormor" means?
I am not entirely sure about this - but I believe that Mormor means Grandmother. Danish members of thread - am I correct?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Did Henrik give a good reason for his abscence in the last years, did Joachim?
And is it really such an important traditional occasion when Henrik and Joachim usually don't attend?
Just because M&F were there in the last years it is suddenly a must-do for them and if they don't show up it's disrespectful towards the Danish taxpayers?

Besides, the photo-shoots usually were a few days later, this time there was an earlier date chosen. The CP couple tried to be there but they couldn't make it on time. I think it's a pity but I don't have a problem with it.
And I almost hope they will create a new tradition of not showing up at this occasion regularly.

Oh yes, they should have used blue light and called for reinforcements - like in emergency cases - because it's so important to be in Graasten on time to show the Danish media their respect. The Danish media people always showed respect to "their" CP couple and their privacy, didn't they?

Well, I buy it. Others my fill book with lies but I think the DRF wouldn't use such an excuse if it wasn't true.
Let me just remind you that this is the second time this year that CP Frederik and family have been absent from a royal event. They didn't show up for the Queen's birthday either. Frederik was tooo busy sailing off the coast of Miami.There are so few occasions during the year, when there is a chance of getting all the main players of the monarchy together. I personaly think that CP Frederik and his wife could have made the effort to show up on time, but maybe I am just oldfashioned?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

Ok let's just stop with that!! they were not here this year and so what! they have the right to spend holidays only the four of them and with friends! they don't have to apologise for that or give an explanation!

we have a lot of pics for holidays this year and it's only a beginning with the trip in Australia!

they will be there next year that's all

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady E View Post
I am not entirely sure about this - but I believe that Mormor means Grandmother. Danish members of thread - am I correct?
"Mormor" is the maternal grandmother in Danish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cécile76 View Post
Ok let's just stop with that!! they were not here this year and so what! they have the right to spend holidays only the four of them and with friends! they don't have to apologise for that or give an explanation!

we have a lot of pics for holidays this year and it's only a beginning with the trip in Australia!

they will be there next year that's all
This is not about quantity. This about getting the main characters of the DRF together for a picture. We want to see the Queen with her oldest son and adorable grandchildren. The stay at Gråsten castle is funded by the Danish taxpayers. We are paying for the DRF to use Gråsten during their summerstay. Is it too much to ask, that we get them together for some nice snaps?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Whether this photo op is official or not is irrelevant. Royals are highly dependent on tradition, image and being in the public eye. Royalty in itself is irrelevant in todays society. If they want to stay relevant as a royal family and keeper of traditions and monarchy they need to make sure people associate them with royal life. When the Queen is gone and Frederik does not immediately fill the vacuum in peoples mind as the regent he may have hard time being considered relevant - and the moment they as royal family is irrelevant they are gone.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Courtier

Thank you so much for all the lovely photos, its nice to see at least some members of the family with the Queen & Prince Henrik.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Whether this photo op is official or not is irrelevant. Royals are highly dependent on tradition, image and being in the public eye. Royalty in itself is irrelevant in todays society. If they want to stay relevant as a royal family and keeper of traditions and monarchy they need to make sure people associate them with royal life. When the Queen is gone and Frederik does not immediately fill the vacuum in peoples mind as the regent he may have hard time being considered relevant - and the moment they as royal family is irrelevant they are gone.
I entirely agree.The slide towards that irrelevance has begun, mostly because we now view our royals like we view any other celebrity. It turns out they are humans like all the rest of us - as described in my book - and if they can not provide us with something to look up to, it's over! That is also why a photo-op like the one at Gråsten is a stupid thing to miss for a Crown Prince and his famly. Their absence is undermining the very structure the monarchy is build on: Respect!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Courtier

Yes respect cuts both ways , can you honestly say they did not get caught in traffic or are you just wanting to gripe about the royal couple. Yes, put the flashing blue on, so there is something else to complain about the extra resources and extra money just to get to a photo shoot.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfre View Post
Yes, put the flashing blue on, so there is something else to complain about the extra resources and extra money just to get to a photo shoot.
Exactly right, marfre...

Not only that, but to inflict more chaos to what was said to be busy traffic would have been rather careless.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-31-2008, 04:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfre View Post
Yes respect cuts both ways , can you honestly say they did not get caught in traffic or are you just wanting to gripe about the royal couple. Yes, put the flashing blue on, so there is something else to complain about the extra resources and extra money just to get to a photo shoot.
Aas I understand it, CP Frederik and family showed up not 10 minutes or even half an hour later , but two hours later. Some traffic jam? The Gråsten photo-op is an important part of the royal year and I think it is lack of respect if one does not put effort into making sure, that he and his family will be there in time. Queen Margrethe is VERY punctual. She hates being late. She is the kind of person, who leaves early and then circles the blok until it is time to go in in order not to inconvene her hosts. CP Frederik should pay attention!
Blues flashes? Why not! The royals use them all the time anyway.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
When the Queen is gone and Frederik does not immediately fill the vacuum in peoples mind as the regent he may have hard time being considered relevant - and the moment they as royal family is irrelevant they are gone.
Considering the uproar that his abscence caused I wonder whether he isn't already filling a vacuum. The queen was there but he (+family) was not, and therefore this whole photoshoot obviously is not considered relevant in some peoples' minds.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Courtier

Usually Gustaf & Carina show up -- wonder what happened to them this year ?
Is Joachim & Marie still at the Chateau ?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seems to me that when Q Ingrid was still alive all three daughters with their husbands and children were present.
Looks like any other family. Children grow up, marry and have other obligations, old people pass on and traditions fall by the waysides.
I find it ridiculous to assume there was a snub from anyone's part not to show up on time or not at all. Things happen, we need to change to decaf........
Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Courtier

Little Ingrid is a spitting image of her namesake great-grandmother!

His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?

Tags
annual photoshoot, grasten palace, photo shoot, royal life guards change, summer holiday