The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
I'm sorry, but how is it rude. I believe that we've had quite alot of photos of Mary, Frederik and their family already this summer. It's not rude and they don't have to have an excuse. It's not a right of anyone to have these photos, it is a nicety that the Royal Family provides to the general public, and if one year the family of Frederik and Mary are not there, then what is the big deal?

As I said, there's been hapes of photos of them recently.
The annual photo shoot at Gråsten castle is a big event in Denmark. It is one of the highlights of our royal summer calendar, if you like. I agree, that it was a snub to the Queen not to attend. Let me just remind everybody that CP Frederik and family also were absent from the balcony at Amalienborg this year for Queen Margrethe's 68th birthday.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Courtier

And let me just remind you that they were all together out at the circus a few weeks ago.
And let me just remind you that Prince Henrik wasn't there in 2005-2007.
Was it a snub to his wife, the queen?

The annual photo shoot may have been a big event not in Denmark but for the Danish press in later years when the royals were actually left alone during their holidays and this was the first opportunity to see them again after a long media abscence. But since the amount of paparazzi pictures of royal holidays has increased dramatically I don't think it's such a big event anymore.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Courtier

Agree with ricarda that Prince Henrik obviously snubbed his wife all the times he wasn't there at the Family Shoot. Joachim missed a birthday of the Queen either last year or the year before.

Stellad
Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry, but you didn't understand what I meant! I didn't meant because of their apperal in the photos because we can see them one more time. Of course we have seen them a lot this summer but that is not the point, really! To me there are oficial acts that should have benn takne more serious and this one to me should had been treated like an official act. They should have been to Grasten one day befores, they should have cancel one day of hteir vacations to be there. Yes Grasten anual photoshoot is a big event for the press and for the Danish people also and to me yes it was a bif direspect!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

It might be traditional, but I hardly call the Grasten photo shoot an official act. There is a big difference between official and traditional.

We are behaving like so many entitled children...
Old 07-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Nobility

Summers they all loved

Quote:
It might be traditional, but I hardly call the Grasten photo shoot an official act. There is a big difference between official and traditional.

We are behaving like so many entitled children...
The point is, that these Gråsten gatherings is a tradition started by the late Queen Ingrid. Every summer she managed to gather all of her grandchildren for a few weeks and they all loved it. Queen Margrethe is trying very hard to carry on "mormors" tradition. She has spoken publicly about her wish to keep the big royal family together by having the summers at Gråsten. For CP Frederik and his family not to show up is in my opinion a snub - not only to the Queen, but also to the memory of Frederik's beloved grandma! Who knows, maybe something came up at the very last minute that made it impossible for Frederik and Mary to attend, but I find it strange that they were not there!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Gentry

On the subject of books on the Danish Royals, I am interested in an English version of the one printed to coincide with Frederick's 40th birthday. I believe it is by Palshoj and Gitte. Can anyone give me help?

As for pictures at Grastan, won't we see the family walk to the annual concert? M andF should be in residence by then.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
The point is, that these Gråsten gatherings is a tradition started by the late Queen Ingrid. Every summer she managed to gather all of her grandchildren for a few weeks and they all loved it. Queen Margrethe is trying very hard to carry on "mormors" tradition. She has spoken publicly about her wish to keep the big royal family together by having the summers at Gråsten. For CP Frederik and his family not to show up is in my opinion a snub - not only to the Queen, but also to the memory of Frederik's beloved grandma! Who knows, maybe something came up at the very last minute that made it impossible for Frederik and Mary to attend, but I find it strange that they were not there!
But they where there all the others years at last since they married. Joachim was only one time there in the last few years. I think during Queen ingrid's lifetime it was easier to gather most of her grandchildren as there where only 4 married and had their own children.
I would find it better if for example would Frederik and Mary would use Gråsten as their Summer Residence and spend a few weeks each summer there. Wasn't it said so after they had married that Gråsten should become their Summer Residence.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, as families grow, they sometimes like to create their own traditions and not always be beholden to those that have been made before them. And Frederik and Mary certainly have enough old time traditions that they have to hold to.

It's the same with every family anymore. And it's not as if F&M are the only people who weren't there. The majority of the family was not there.

Furthermore, a snub is a deliberate action, and I highly doubt that they intended to get caught in traffic, so I think calling it a snub is a bit too silly.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, as families grow, they sometimes like to create their own traditions and not always be beholden to those that have been made before them. And Frederik and Mary certainly have enough old time traditions that they have to hold to.

It's the same with every family anymore. And it's not as if F&M are the only people who weren't there. The majority of the family was not there.

Furthermore, a snub is a deliberate action, and I highly doubt that they intended to get caught in traffic, so I think calling it a snub is a bit too silly.
I believe that you are correct on this. I personally think that maybe the Queen just made the remark about the "traffic" but knew ahead of time that F&M had just about had it with journalists and their "story making" so they didn't snub the Queen but the press -- and the press deserved it, this time. The Queen, I am sure, didn't give a darn, just as long as she personally has some time alone with them. That is her big aim. Give the couple a break and stop all the back biting. It is not the end of the world. We have had tons of pictures already. If people complained about the others in the family (in other years) not attending I could see it, but it is always just M&F -- resentful perhaps!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Commoner

These photoshoots are intended to give the press access to the family and children in a controlled setting, so they don't get chased by paparazzi.
The couple was chased to the beach; therefore the agreement was broken, therefore they don't show up.
JMHO
Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by envoy2400 View Post
These photoshoots are intended to give the press access to the family and children in a controlled setting, so they don't get chased by paparazzi.
The couple was chased to the beach; therefore the agreement was broken, therefore they don't show up.
JMHO
Boy, do I agree with that! I can see why the Dutch are so strict now with photos. M & W-A three girls were actually scared of all the paparazzi and now they have decided not to go to Argentina all that often. The press over stepped their bounds once again. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love to see all the photos of the children, but I certainly understand protecting them. There are just too many weird people out there now.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

The 25th of July was a busy day for Alexandra of Berleburg and her two adorable kids!

The DRF watch the Changing of the Guard at Gråsten
Henrik with Alexandra, Jefferson & children
Cutie-pie Ingrid
Henrik & Margrethe
The entire clan
Ingrid, Richard and Mormor

Princess Alexandra & Count Jefferson fish on the Gråsten Lake
Both A&J fishing
Again
Just Jefferson this time
Alexandra rowing the boat for her man
Jefferson casts off

Princess Benedikte, Princess Alexandra and her children attend the Circus Benneweis
Ingrid and Mummy
Ingrid and Mummy 2
Ingrid and Mummy 3
Richard and Mormor
Ingrid Runs Wild
Both Kids with Mummy and Mormor
Lovely face by Mormor

(Soren Steffen)

And some pictures from the Photo Session
Henrik
Ingrid and Mummy
Mormor and Richard
Her Majesty
Her Maj & Henrik

Two pictures of Frederik & Mary (with their children) arriving at the Palace later in the day

(Soren Steffen)
Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 AM
Nobility

"Stuck in traffic." I don't buy that. Even their Royal Highnesses have watches and know how to time a drive from northern Jylland down to Gråsten. It's motorway almost all of the way. Maybe they snubbed the photographers, who did give them a hard time in Skagen, but don't fall over the papparazzi, because everybody on this forum is "ooing" and "cooing" over all those lovely shots from Jylland. The fact is that the annual photo-op at Gråsten has become a royal tradition and we want to see our Crown Prince and his adorable family at this event. If he has a problem with the paparazzi, he should take it up with the palace press secretary and deal with it through the proper channels. No need to take it out on the Danes, who just want too see their Queen, her oldest son and his family together.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Why stop with the paps? If he should endeavour to highlight the annoyances that are, then tabloid journalists and authors alike should certainly share in such a mention...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"Stuck in traffic." I don't buy that. Even their Royal Highnesses have watches and know how to time a drive from northern Jylland down to Gråsten. It's motorway almost all of the way. Maybe they snubbed the photographers, who did give them a hard time in Skagen, but don't fall over the papparazzi, because everybody on this forum is "ooing" and "cooing" over all those lovely shots from Jylland. The fact is that the annual photo-op at Gråsten has become a royal tradition and we want to see our Crown Prince and his adorable family at this event. If he has a problem with the paparazzi, he should take it up with the palace press secretary and deal with it through the proper channels. No need to take it out on the Danes, who just want too see their Queen, her oldest son and his family together.
I´m agree with you, but you know it have to be very dificult when you want to relax and have a good time with your family, but you can´t do it beause there are a couple of paparazzi taken pictures all the time.
So I think they are angry with the press for that, so I think this is the reasson of why they didn´t attend the Photo-op at Gråsten.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Courtier

Photo session at Grasten

Did Prins Joachim, Alexandra and their children ever or on a regular basis ever appear for the annual photo sessions during the summer stay at Grasten?

Perhaps, Prins Joachim and Pss Marie shall attend next year.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Frederik and Mary got stock in trafic. One hardly can help that. I got stock in the same kind og trafic last weekend - and I know precisely where they got stock.

It is at the same spot on the same freeway in Jutland every time..... and it is incredeble irritating - espacially if you are the one who is stuck and you have an appointment.
Thankyou Lilla. Those who don't live in Denmark may not be aware of the traffic congestion at the end of the holiday period for the Danes.

Thanks to JessRules for the photos showing that Frederik and Mary really did arrive later that afternoon.

Tomorrow the Crown Prince Couple make an official visit to two towns in the area. The dates for this event were announced in December 2006, so anyone watching the scedule of activities would already know the couple were expected at Graasten this week, and were not snubbing the Queen.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

If there is a regular photoshoot - no official event but something that has become a habit over the years - I think at least the CP couple should make an effort and show up. I don't care if they are angry with the media or not, if they are there are other ways to address this, and I'd rather give no reason at all for their absence than telling that they got stuck in traffic. What a silly excuse. Who are they? Commuters who are driving to work? That's a joke. It's their decision when to show themselves / their children during vacation but such photoshoots should take priority. I personally like the Danish attitude that they are often with their children on private occasions or even bring them along to events, something that the Dutch or Spanish never do, simply because I believe that the earlier the children learn to cope or the more natural the relation with the media becomes the better because they will have to live with it for the rest of their lifes, especially their heir / heiresses. Therefore it's important to respect such photoshoots with the monarch couple because people want to see the line of succession = Fred (& Mary) plus Christian (& Isabella). Joachim and Marie would be a nice asset but apart from that they are rather unimportant.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent

If you can prove they weren't stuck in traffic, then by all means...

Of course, anything is possible, but if 'we' cannot prove it, then hows about sticking with the facts as have been provided. There's an idea!

Theoretical conspiracies. Wouldn't be a royal forum without them, eh..haha.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent

Tags
annual photoshoot, grasten palace, photo shoot, royal life guards change, summer holiday