Annual Photo Shoots & Holidays At Gråsten Slot: 2003, 2005-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I meant another one in Grasten.
If I remember correctly the crown princely family attended the horse parade 2 years ago (when Josephine had a broken arm) and there was another photo shoot in the garden with the Queen, Prince Henrik and some of the Berleburg family.

We can hope Joachim and our Marie will make a similar shoot, probably somewhere in France. That's happened often before when they haven't been there for the Gråsten photo shoot.

It has also happened when they have made it to Grasten ;)
Joachim usually giving his own summer session along with joining the family at Grasten. Although the last two years and this year it appears, he has not made it to Grasten. :ermm:

http://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/joachim-marie-barn-ao.jpg
http://us.hellomagazine.com/imagene...mer-photoshoot/0-70-742/princess-mary2--a.jpg
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t...g?ig_cache_key=MTQxODE1NjM3MTU0NjgxOTE2NQ==.2
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/24/article-0-1FEF53ED00000578-592_964x570.jpg

Hopefully we do get some pictures of Joachim and family. Hopefully with all 4 kids. Although it must be hard to coordinate vacations with his older boys, who I imagine also holiday with their mom. And as they are near 18 and 15 maybe joining their friends on holiday. :flowers:

Alas, M&F have now left Gråsten, so that's it for this year.

And I can't imagine QMII and the Berleburgs would pose for themselves. Assuming there are any Berleburgs around now, apart form Benedikte.

Was them attending the horse parade this years photo shoot or will there be another one with more family members?

I meant another one in Grasten.
If I remember correctly the crown princely family attended the horse parade 2 years ago (when Josephine had a broken arm) and there was another photo shoot in the garden with the Queen, Prince Henrik and some of the Berleburg family.

No. This year the horse parade with the Regent Couple and the Crown Prince family was at the same time the yearly summer photo session :flowers:
Last year was great with two photo session, but probably a little much and the DRF have likely decided that two photo session with a day between was unnecessary.

This will probably be a new tradition :)
Read my previous post:

A great TV2 article: New tones in Gråsten - is the Crown Prince Couple starting a tradition?
Nye toner i Gråsten - er kronprinsparret ved at starte en tradition? - TV 2

Chief editor of the Billedbladet, Annemette Krakau, believes that the Crown Prince couple are starting a new tradition.

- Last summer, the summer photo session lasted two minutes and took place on a windblown staircase. They came out and then they went back in. This year it lasted a more than a half an hour. I think it was great to see the Crown Prince family together with Queen Margrethe and as part of this festival in Gråsten, she says, and continues:

- I have a feeling that it is a new tradition they are starting. It is completely in line with Queen Ingrid and King Frederik at their time, who also made a big deal out of being in contact with the Southern Jutland's people, the traditions and being part of the cityscape.

The editorial editor hopes that in the future this will happen again. In this way where the royal family give them good time to be part of the local events.

- It's a super signal they send by being part of the People's Party, says Annemette Kraków.

ADDED:
I very much agree. This way is much better, funnier and more natural than those set photo session

Last edited:
Alas, M&F have now left Gråsten, so that's it for this year.

And I can't imagine QMII and the Berleburgs would pose for themselves. Assuming there are any Berleburgs around now, apart form Benedikte.

Thank you for the update Muhler.
It's a pity we didn't get a formal photoshoot like last year, but that isn't anyone's fault (apart from Mother Nature!). Still; we got lots of charming photos from the horse parade.

I was expecting a photo session we usually get with all the family members. Please tell me there will be another one (which we are use to).

How about next month? ?
Aren't Vincent and Josephine to start in school this year?

That means they will pose in front of Amalienborg with their new school bags. - And answer questions from the press.

I was expecting a photo session we usually get with all the family members. Please tell me there will be another one (which we are use to).

There won't at Gråsten.
We usually gets a more formal photo session with the Regent couple, the Crown Prince Family and the Berleburgs. But as the Berleburgs could not be there so early this year I think the DRF has decided that the horse parade photo session and another photo session the next day with the same members was unnecesary.

In the future I think we will have the horse parade with the Regent couple and Crown Prince familiy. And then a more formal photo session if the Berleburgs also comes in mid july.

(Joakim and his family have not been at Gråsten the last 2-3years, and before that only some years, and seems to prefer their own holiday, so I don't count on them.)

How about next month? ?
Aren't Vincent and Josephine to start in school this year?

That means they will pose in front of Amalienborg with their new school bags. - And answer questions from the press.

I really hope so :flowers:
Imagine seeing the twins with each of their schoolbag answering the press' questions. Will be cute.

But both with Christian and Bella we got press release in february.
And now we are in mid july. I tends to think we instead will get a video or a photo of them on their first school day at Facebook. Just a guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #29, 2017.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Well, you pretty much know what went on during the procession on Sunday. - It rained a bit and QMII was the one who in every possible way was best dressed for the occasion. Even some of the flowers she was presented matched her raincoat.
Mary was at some point presented with treats, called Treats, for Gracie.
QMII was presented with flowers and a bottle of redwine, which she accidentally dropped: "I'm sorry". - "That's all right", replied the mounted presenter of the present. The shards of glass were quickly removed by a servant, being bad for hoofs and tires.

J&M were not present. They are on holiday in southern France, with Henrik and Athena.
With them are their close friends Christian and Agnete Scherfig as well as Peter and Henriette Steenstrup.

The Ring-Riding Tournament at Gråsten toll several days, culminating in the processions in Sunday. In the days prior to that they skewered rings at a nearby square for the purpose and when the tournament ended, it was time for a family-party Saturday evening. So on the Saturday afternoon the contestant rode through Gråsten. The main street going through Gråsten pass the palace, and from here first Frederik with the children emerged through a door in the wall. Later to be joined by Mary. Vincent was made in charge of the key to the door. - That's the green thing he's seen holding in the photos.
The children spotted several they have gotten to know at the local riding school, during their stay at Gråsten. And they were pointed out to their parents. Something Josephine pointed out, seemed to impress Vincent very much. (See photo).
One girl among the 300 riders passing by, was heard telling a friend next to her: "Look there. That's the Crown-princely Couple and their children. We are going to present flowers to them tomorrow, when we ride past the palace".

Josephine was seen wearing a dress, previously worn by Isabella.

Here is this weeks issue of BB: BB #29, 2017

And last weeks, as you can tell Victoria is pretty popular in DK as well.
BB #28, 2017

Thanks, Iceflower & Eya. :flowers:

Yes, there is a changing of the guards, complete with with a section of the Music Corps every Friday at noon, when QMII is present at Gråsten.

That's always a crowd pleaser, not least among those who have (mostly) sons in the guards detachment serving there. Here they can be pretty certain to spot their son/grandchild/brother and snap away - and they do!
On a day to day basis they can't know for certain when he will be on guard duty and where.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #29, 2017.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

(...)

The Ring-Riding Tournament at Gråsten toll several days, culminating in the processions in Sunday. In the days prior to that they skewered rings at a nearby square for the purpose and when the tournament ended, it was time for a family-party Saturday evening. So on the Saturday afternoon the contestant rode through Gråsten. The main street going through Gråsten pass the palace, and from here first Frederik with the children emerged through a door in the wall. Later to be joined by Mary. Vincent was made in charge of the key to the door. - That's the green thing he's seen holding in the photos.
The children spotted several they have gotten to know at the local riding school, during their stay at Gråsten. And they were pointed out to their parents. Something Josephine pointed out, seemed to impress Vincent very much. (See photo).
One girl among the 300 riders passing by, was heard telling a friend next to her: "Look there. That's the Crown-princely Couple and their children. We are going to present flowers to them tomorrow, when we ride past the palace".

Josephine was seen wearing a dress, previously worn by Isabella.

Here is this weeks issue of BB: BB #29, 2017

Thanks for the scan Muhler :flowers:

I enjoyed seeing the pictures at F&M and children privately to the horse parade on Saturday. They obvious all enjoyed it. Christian and Bella has grown so much, and the pictures of Vincent and Josephine chatting, and who both look very interested in the horses at the street, are very cute ?

Pictures: The cool "boys" at the Horse Parade :

Pictures: Sister love :D

:previous: I think all four children grows fast, Christian has grown so tall and now on his way into the teen years soon :cool: And little Vincent and Josephine has grown a lot as well - they have left the chubby toodler look now and have become two beautiful school ready children. But Isabella has IMO grown so much. Not only taller, but on other points too. She is a beautiful and happy girl.

Christian must start in 6. klasse (6th grade) after the summer vacation, right?
Isabella in 4. klasse (4th grade)?

And Vincent and Jospehine begin in 0. klasse (0th grade.)

How time flies!

Three delightful articles during the quiet private summer vacation time:

1. Princess Isabella and now also little Princess Josephine with their grandmother's gold bracelet:

When Princess Isabella turned five years old back in 2012, she received a sweet gold bracelet from her grandmother Queen Margrethe. Now we can see that also little sister Princess Josephine wears the special gold bracelet from grandmother. At this summer's photo session at Gråsten last week, the bracelet was spotted at little Princess Josephine's arm.

The simple gold bracelet shows that Princess Isabella and Princess Josephine now have become big girls who have the right to wear the family's traditional jewelery.

It was Queen Ingrid who introduced the tradition to the family. She herself got a gold bracelet of her mother on her fifth birthday in 1915. Just five years later, her mother, the English-born Princess Margaret, died, and the bracelet was a lovely memory for Ingrid.

When Queen Ingrid had three daughters, Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie, she decided that on their fifth birthday they should have a bracelet similar to her.

The small original bracelets have been carefully saved, and Queen Margrethe, Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte have continued the tradition. Since Queen Margrethe has no daughters who could take over her bracelet, she has now given her bracelet to the daughters of the Crown Prince. And Princess Isabella and Princess Josephine are proudly seen with the bracelet.

I think grandmother's bracelet has now been inherited from Isabella to Josephine because Isabella probably can no longer fit it.

Princess Isabella celebrated her 10 years birthday this year and she held her first summer holiday at Gråsten Slot only 3 months old. Since then, Bella has spent summer holiday on Gråsten with her family all years. For this reason, Billedbladet has made this sweet gallery of Isabella's 10 years at Gråsten:

30 SØDE BILLEDER: 10 år med prinsesse Isabella i Gråsten | BILLED-BLADET

"Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Ingrid photographed at Marselisborg Castle on a summer day in 1935 shortly after their wedding. This week, summer pictures are published from the Queen's private archive at the Royal Family's Instagram Profile." Kongehuset ©"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXAOxPKgK7a/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus&hl=da

A very great picture IMO.
Notice also the many comments about how many people who see Frederik & Mary in Frederik and Ingrid ?
Like the last comment:

How warm at heart you get by seeing the love that exists between them. An immensely beautiful couple. And there is a direct connection to our present crown prince couple who radiate the same love for each other. It's like seeing Frederik & Mary. Thank you for this picture!

Last edited:
Dronningen kom på privat visit | BILLED-BLADET

BB reports that QMII along with some friends visited the Wadden Sea Center near the town of Ribe.
The center was opened not that long ago by Joachim.

The mood was pretty informal and relaxed. the party was guided around the center and afterwards they a lunch.
QMII, in her usual style, said to our reporter: "We learned a lot, we didn't know, we didn't know".

Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte attended a concert by the vocal ensemble Musica Ficta under the direction of conductor Bo Holten at Gråsten Castle Church this afternoon, July 29. In connection with this year's Reformation Anniversary music of the Reformation was performed with Lutheran hymn songs from Denmark and Germany:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte attended a concert by the vocal ensemble Musica Ficta under the direction of conductor Bo Holten at Gråsten Castle Church this afternoon, July 29. In connection with this year's Reformation Anniversary music of the Reformation was performed with Lutheran hymn songs from Denmark and Germany:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:
The first photo is interesting.
Notice the adjutant. He's from the navy. He's been on QMII's staff of adjutants forever! In contrast to other monarchies QMII's adjutants don't rotate. They apply for a position as an adjutant. Some are there for a few years, using the experience as a step in their career, but most stay for many years, sometimes until retirement. - I guess it's a cozy and pretty prestigious posting for some officers who may realize they don't have the abilities or ambitions to become a general or work in the Defense Staff or a higher Nato staff.

Notice also the guardsman. He has obviously been walking when he encountered QMII, so he's standing to attention until she has passed. Armed guardsmen on guard duty would have presented arms.
He is standing to attention with slightly clenched fists in the Danish fashion.
Notice also that he is not wearing a bearskin cap, but the tent-hat, marking someone from a guards regiment. That has been the case for recent years during high summer. The bearskin caps are hot! So on warm summer days it's better if the guardsmen wear a more comfortable tent hat. It's a question of being efficient. A guardsmen who is on the verge of melting is less alert and in this day and age, the guards have to be alert.
Previously the rule was that is the temperature soared above 30 degrees C (86 F) the guardsmen wore tent hats, but now they wear them throughout the high summer. - This year however, there would have been little risk of any guardsmen suffering from heat-strokes!
- I know, I know, this is for nerds, but there are quite a few of us here at TRF, and perhaps one or two might find the above interesting. ;)?

Did BB not recognise Princess Alexanda of Berleburg and her children, Richard and Ingrid? ;)

The online BB-writer of the article, who got it from an article in the newspaper Jyske Vestkysten, obviously didn't... ?

Thank you Muhler for the extra details. Always appreciated.
Nice to see the Queen and her sister enjoy the quiet summer

My favorite queen looks so wonderful today and it is really great to see her sisters with her, after all *sisters* are very important in life to other sisters.

I really like the relationship of the three sisters ... they look really close.

Yep...that's sisters for you....if you are really fortunate to be close to your sisters, they are your best friends from the cradle to the grave.

Here is a nice little video of the DRF at Gråsten back in 1950: Sjældent set video: Frederik og Ingrids dejlige sommer med prinsesserne | BILLED-BLADET Nostalgi

The stairs can be awfully steep to climb if you've got short legs! :lol:

In the comments section there is this little story, I'd like to translate for you:
By a Niels Rold:
"Some years later (than 1950) I was in a summer cottage with some mates. It was a lovely sunny morning and my turn to go fetch beer. I had only just turned 18.
I drowe down to the grocers, the old one in Trend (village) and when I got inside I asked for a case of beer, 50 beers back than, and a cold from the box to pass the time while the box was fetched from the basement. I sat down on a bench and right across me sat and elderly gentleman with whom I began chatting.
It later turned out that I, unknowingly, had chatted with King Frederik... a cozy and lovely person".

My own family have often told me how it was common for Frederik IX when staying at Marselisborg that he and an adjutant was working on the Kings rowing boat down at the beach. And it happened occasionally that blue collar workers who cycled by offered the King and adjutant a round of beer, which they all three enjoyed together.
Frederik IX was a very folksy man, which is of course why he is so very much compared to Frederik.

There is a funny thing about the local grocers in the villages all over DK back then (the 1950's, 60's and well into the 70's). This was the hub of the village, it was here the local gossip was exchanged. It was here the local retirees would sit all day drinking beer and commenting on everyone and everything - not least the local pretty girls. - My mother thought they were nothing but dirty old pigs when she was a newly wed wife!
There is an expression in eastern Jutland that is used to this day, to emphasize jokingly that something could, possible, perhaps, be true...
My wife can say it in the perfect dialect: "Det siger de nede ved kjøwmanden = They say so down at the grocers."

My mother also told me how the local youth in the evenings hang around at the local railway station (very small one though), because nothing else happened, except on Saturdays at the inn. And sometimes someone would actually get off the train... Then at least something happened that evening. ?

Last edited:
This year on 15 July Crown Prince Family will receive Grasten Ring-Rider Association's procession.
It eems that this year also CP Family will spent some weeks in Grasten .

"it has just been announced from the royal court that T.R.H. The Crown Prince and Crown Princess with children, who are staying at Gråsten Palace on 15 July, will be happy to receive Gråsten Ring Rider's Society procession at the palace."

:previous: That'll be lovely to see. The kids and Frederik and Mary seem to enjoy the event very much, and their time in Grasten too.

Will there be a photocall like the previous years (in the gardens), or is this Horse Parade the new annual photocall from now on?

As I remember there was only one photocall last year, and it was the parade?

This week the Palace share summer videos from the Royal Family. Today from the Grasten!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlAVNWrAPeQ/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

An old summer video from 1947 in Grasten for today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlH8IYlDSOr/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

A beautiful day (and not rainy) and a lovely family! Thanks Muhler for your reporter job here!!

https://scontent.faep9-2.fna.fbcdn....=5e83b31d4242c284c81c6f45d20b9484&oe=5BDF572E
https://scontent.faep9-2.fna.fbcdn....=593a1f4cfcda17b2c3f948b624450672&oe=5BE4E2F4
https://scontent.faep9-2.fna.fbcdn....=ce231b99468d0c90c8d3fad1e0545e21&oe=5BE88095

And the beautiful and many flowers that the Crown Prince family today received now decorate the Grasten Palace !!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlQWNynA_Js/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

Back
Top Bottom