Annual Photo Shoots & Holidays At Gråsten Slot: 2003, 2005-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would also like to see a garden photocall again because the sceneries are the best.

Quite the opposite for me: I much prefer that they can be photographed during something like the riders procession. Things happening and there's something to do for the kids especially. I think the photos are much more natural and they aren't that conscious of the cameras.

Last edited:
The changing of the guards Friday at noon at Gråsten is always a crowd pleaser, not least because QMII always look on from the door.
Also today, where she was joined by M&F and children, as well as Queen Anne-Marie.

- The local newspaper hasn't got anything yet, but that's only a matter of time. So happy hunting for our newsdiggers. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A well-informed article by Der Nordschleswiger (a paper directed at the German minority in DK) covering the changing of the guards today, as well as other recent Gråsten events with QMII.

It would be nice if more "professional" papers were just as factual!

https://www.nordschleswiger.dk/de/nordschleswig-sonderburg/wachwechsel-gravenstein

It's all in German of course.

And here is a nice article, with pics from Gråsten Local Paper, covering the Ring rider procession: https://graastenavis.dk/Artikler/32079/?portfolioCats=122
Notice the girl who needed a little comforting.

Last edited:
Quite the opposite for me: I much prefer that they can be photographed during something like the riders procession. Things happening and there's something to do for the kids especially. I think the photos are much more natural and they aren't that conscious of the cameras.

I agree. It's such a great event , close to the community and the family enjoys it very much.

Lovely pictures from the changing of the guards.
The Queen , her sister, and the Crown Prince family look lovely.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was nice to see the DRF today at the changing of the guard. Margarethe looks very happy though it is sad not to see Henrik by her side. I always like how the dogs are included as much in the family events as the royals themselves are!

Perhaps Leonore can join him with her net?

I would also like to see a garden photocall again because the sceneries are the best. But I guess it would only happen when J&M and the SWBs come to stay at Grasten, and it's getting less likely when the children have all grown up.

I wouldn't mind if only Daisy and the CP family participate though...

Grasten annual family reunion is (was ?) an opportunity the see the whole family including junior members we usually less see.

If only the monarch and her/his heirs would participate, it reduces the interest. At least for me. :flowers:

The very last family pctures were in 2014. Why this changement since then ?

1st summer photo shoot since the passing of Prince Henrik ,nice to see queen Anne-Marie present with the RF.

The very last family pctures were in 2014. Why this changement since then ?

That's not true I'm afraid

2015: Daisy & Henrik + CP Family + Alexandra of SWB Family @ the garden & changing of the guards
CP Family + Gustav & Carina of SWB @ horse parade

2016: Daisy & Henrik + CP Family + Alexandra of SWB Family + Gustav & Carina of SWB @ changing of the guards

2017: Daisy + CP Family @ horse parade

Last edited:
Maybe J&M prefer to spend their summer vacation somewhere else, like in France. They seem to be among the people who adore St Tropez.

How much (or little) did Joachim and Alexandra spend or visit at Gråsten when they were married? Did they show up for photos every summer?

For a lack of news from Gråsten, let's have a look at what they might very well have been doing.
There are quite a few activities all over the country during the summer and especially two might attract certainly Frederik and his two sons for a boys outing.
News often surface that members of the DRF have been seen at this or that event. And often they can get away with being unnoticed, especially at events with large crowds, lots of tourists and many dialects where they won't stand out. And mostly the locals leave them alone.

One was a tall ship race in the city of Esbjerg an hour or so away from Gråsten.

But the other might be of interest for the history buffs on this forum.
In 1918 what is now southern Jutland was a part of Germany and at the town of Tønder, about half an hour or so from Gråsten and 3 km from Schackenborg was a German airship base, consisting of zeppelins which flew out to partly bomb Britain and partly to fly reconnaissance over the North Sea for British ships.
That base was out of reach for the Allies. It was too far inland (and too dangerous) to shell it from the sea and it was too far away to be reached by bombers of the time. (At least if they were to carry any bombs and have enough fuel to get back as well!)
But by 1918 the Allies had a solution. The aircraft carrier.

At dawn on the 19th July 1918 the British air craft carrier HMS Furious sailed close to the Danish coast, off the town of Ringkøbing about 150 km further north. And here for the first time in history planes were launched on a bombing mission.
They reached the air base in the early hours and being in command of the sky, they could fly low enough to destroy the base, except for one major building.
But not without casualties though. One Sopwith Camel was shot down and the pilot killed, but there were considerable casualties among the surprised German sailors. (The zeppelins were under Die Kriegsmarine.)
The Tondern Raid as it is known in English is a little known first in military history.

There were lots of people looking at the reenacted raid, which included a Tiger Moth - Fly-worthy Sopwith Camels are not that easy to come by!
The reeancators have their own website here: Præsentation - www.westfront1916.dk
The reeactors concentrate on German units, because some 30.000 ethnic Danes were enrolled to the German army during WWI - more than 6.000 died.

But back to the raid.
Around most airbases, even those they were considered safe, there were trenches, partly to defend against a land attack on the base, but also against air attacks: https://images.jv.dk/65/1653365_1280_851_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

Shooting at planes with machine guns makes sense, rifles perhaps less so. But you'd be wrong. It makes a lot of sense firing at planes with rifles, - even today. After all it has been ascertained that the famous Red Baron was killed by a rifle shot from the ground, fired by an Australian.
Apart from that it's good for the morale to fire back. It does spook pilots in low flying aircrafts. After all few aircrafts today, and less so during WWI were armored. And intense fire from the ground forced planes further up, decreasing their chances of hitting their targets on the ground.
Machine guns on both sides during WWI were based on the same model, the water cooled Maxim gun, albeit with local variations.
https://images.jv.dk/62/1653362_1280_851_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

Perhaps you thought German soldiers stomped around wearing jackboots all through WWI? They didn't. Towards the end of the war, leather was a material that was in short supply. But jackboots are not that practical in muddy trenches, because they can easily become stuck in the mud and you are of little use in combat jumping around in your socks trying to pull your boots out of the mud! So the Germans studied the wicklers used by the British army. Leather strips wrapped around the calf combined with a heavy shoe. That was practical, easy to clean, and fairly waterproof and you mostly kept your shoe on in the mud. - But it takes a lot of practice to wrap wicklers correctly and if done incorrect you risk diminishing the blood supply to your foot and that is very bad in trench warfare! The Germans came up with various solutions, this however is basically a copy of the British wicklers.
https://images.jv.dk/63/1653363_1280_902_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

The archetypical Prussian officer, complete with a monocle. This one is staff officer, which you can tell from the red band around his cap and the red piping on his uniform, indicates he's from the artillery. By WWI the German military had very much developed an officers caste from the middle class and upper class, who had almost total monopoly on being officers. They were however generally very well educated! The German officers training and especially the staff officers training was second to none by 1914. - But just as well trained they were, just as arrogant they were towards anyone who were "not of their class". That was a general problem back then, with perhaps the exception of the French military. Their colonial officers could rise by merit, and they did and later became extremely competent and battle hardened medium level officers when recalled to France by 1915.
https://images.jv.dk/64/1653364_1280_851_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

The boy here is holding an artillery-Luger. The ever popular 08 Luger, was the standard pistol of the German military in WWI, only to be replaced in 1938 by the extremely well made (and until very recently still in use in many countries) P38 Walther.
For whatever reason the artillery version has a much longer barrel than usual.
https://images.jv.dk/66/1653366_1280_851_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

As mentioned before the base belonged to the Navy as you can tell from the uniforms worn by the sailor and navy officer. The two other officers are from the artillery. I guess they were used as additional base security.
https://images.jv.dk/67/1653367_1280_912_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

Here we have a private army soldier, no doubt awoken suddenly by the sound of bombs falling. He has donned he web-gear in a hurry, put on his jackboots, very sensibly put on his helmet which was introduced in 1916 and which was such a brilliant design that most modern armies use an updated version of it today. I believe the American nickname for their current helmet was The Fritz.
He is armed, unusually, with the carbine version of the Mauser 98 rifle. In WWI the full length version of the rifle remained the standard. The carbine became the standard rifle of WWII.
His is also carrying a hand grenade, which he perhaps hopes to lob at the planes?!? The stick grenade is an offensive grenade. (A lot of blast, few fragments.) While the pineapple grenade (Mills) that became the standard grenade of the Allies is a defensive grenade. (Little blast, many fragments.)
The stick grenade can be thrown longer than the Mills grenade and with considerable accuracy.
https://images.jv.dk/70/1653370_1280_851_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

And now my eyes almost tear up!
What you see here is a genuine rarity! Also among reenactors. A Madsen light machine gun.
Adopted in 1908 by the Danish army, it ended up being used by a number of armies, among them the Russian cavalry. Because it was among the very first workable light machine guns. With a 30 round magazine it was perfect for cavalry patrols and outposts, especially in the colonies. But less so, it was initially believed in European warfare, where heavy machine guns and field artillery would dominate the battle field. Well, by the end of the war, most armies had adopted a light machine gun. The Germans developed their own. And the British and Americans adopted the excellent, but heavy, Browning (BAR) and Lewis machine guns.
The Madsen remained in service with the Danish army until WWII. It had a major design flaw however. The breach tended not to work properly when at high or low angles. Which is why it was eventually discarded for use with the British army. But some of them also found their way to Germany for use in rear areas, like securing an airfield.
https://images.jv.dk/73/1653373_1280_947_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

The Germans being pioneers in the use of gas for warfare, naturally also made sure they had practical gasmasks at disposal. This, with minor local variations, ended up becoming the standard for all armies in the world.
The helmet is interesting. German helmets were initially greyish like their uniforms. But by the end of the WWI camouflage became a well developed art. And while this pattern and these colors may look silly, they are not! The primary function of camouflage is not so much to blend in with the surroundings, but to disrupt the outline of the soldier. The human eye is brilliant at detecting shapes! Even shapes that resemble the background. But remove the outline of such a shape, and the eye have problems seeing it. Hence the weird colors.
https://images.jv.dk/75/1653375_1280_921_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

Quite a few Germans were killed and wounded at the raid.
Here a nurse is treating a wounded sailor. The text on his cap reads Marine Luftschiffflotte (and probably Tönderen.)
https://images.jv.dk/77/1653377_1280_851_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

And finally we have the Sopwith Camel aka Tiger Moth that raided the base.
https://images.jv.dk/83/1653383_1280_822_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

The whole gallery: https://www.jv.dk/toender/Se-de-dra...torien-lever-i-Soldaterskoven/artikel/2629486

Last edited:
Some of the Berleburgs were present at the changing of guards at noon today:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-margrethe-og-prinsesse-benedikte-vinkede-ved

BB this week wrote that Prince Gustav and Carina Axelsson had visited Gråsten, but left. Presumably their visit was while M&F were there as well.

- There is no rush in posting anything from the magazine edition of BB this week, as there are hardly any news at all!
Only a behind the scenes article which I will deal with, when the temperatures here in DK become tolerable! These days we are living inside the freezer to avoid a heatstroke!

Last edited:
Lovely to see Princesses Benedikte and Alexandra with her husband and daughter joining the queen for the summer holiday photo shoot at the Gråsten Palace.

Lovely to see Princesses Benedikte and Alexandra with her husband and daughter joining the queen for the summer holiday photo shoot at the Gråsten Palace.

It's her son Richard, not her husband - she is divorced. I wouldn't be surprised if Alexandra's boyfriend is also at Grasten as he is Danish and a friend of the royal family.

I've always thought the Dannebrog is a beautiful ship. Thanks for the lovely photo. It must be a real pleasure to sail on her.
And what a great idea it is to sail around the islands of Denmark in summer to visit the remote towns. Just a wonderful way of doing things.

:previous: Yes, she is beautiful.
And a little dream of mine would be to send her on an extended tour of the Pacific. But that won't be possible until M&F become the regent couple.

Imagine Dannebrog sailing under Sydney Harbor Bridge. Under the Golden Bridge. Past the Arizona Memorial. Into Vancouver.
Being moored in Tokyo Bay and off Singapore. Off the Galapagos.
Sailing into the bays and fjords of South Island in New Zealand.
And being designed to sail in the Arctic, she can even sail to the shore of Antarctica.

It will be expensive, but no more expensive than having two warships patrolling the coast of Somalia for six months. And that is done routinely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom