The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-20-2016, 03:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Yeah, well, Alexandra simply landed a good deal and her apanage has grown since it's index-regulated, while Mary "only" (and on paper) gets 10 % of M&F's combined apanage..
I read that Alexandra's apanage is also bigger than the salary of the PM of Denmark...

Old 05-20-2016, 03:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I read that Alexandra's apanage is also bigger than the salary of the PM of Denmark...
It is, but the PM has an expense account and a number of additional expenses are covered by the party and other things are at a lower rate, not to mention that his pension is very generous indeed, so it's difficult to make a direct comparison.
However if I should make an estimate, Alexandra's income from investments, salary from being members of boards and the apanage should easily surpass that of the current PM.
So a qualified guess from me would be that Alexandra is a comfortable millionaire. So comfortable that the only work she needs to do, is to be a member of the boards she already is a member of, in order to live a very comfortable higher middle-class life without seriously eroding her fortune.

That's more than I believe would be the case for M&F. I doubt very much they would be able to maintain their current lifestyle only on their investments. Even a higher middle-class lifestyle would be a problem.

I emphasize again: this is a qualified guess only.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Majesty

The sympathy for Alexandra seems to be falling and now it's getting serious.
Venstres ligestillingsordfører: Tag apanagen fra Alexandra – Ekstra Bladet

The spokesman on the gender-equality for the Liberals, which is the government party and right wing, Jacob-Engel Schmidt has spoken on radio about Alexandra's apanage.

He said: "The normal thing is that you as liberal (right wing) don't say anything negative about the DRF. But I have to say that I simply don't comprehend it.
We are I suppose in a situation where we have to look at it. It cannot be right that you earn 2.3 million DKK a year by doing nothing. If it was up to me it was cancelled at the next Finance Act".

It that something the party is behind?
JES: "We actually haven't discussed it. That we'll have to ascertain".

To Ekstra Bladet he confirms what he said and add: "If you rank the top 500 subjects, this is among the last on my list".

He also adds that he respect the way QMII dispose of the apanage.

---

Interesting!

Even though Jacob-Engel Schmidt (who is a "debate-terrier") doesn't rank high on the party list, he is still an MP and a party-spokesman.
There is no way a minister would say anything about this, because then it become government-policy, but this is a notch below. A trial-balloon perhaps or perhaps rather a hint to Alexandra?

I place this here because this comes after the interview, which turned out to backfire on Alexandra and after her more or less sudden goodbye as patron for UNICEF.

I don't think the Parliament will suddenly decide to strip her of her apanage. That would be a very unusual move indeed since practically all parties voted in favor, as they usually do when the government wish to pass legislation regarding or rather on behalf of the DRF.
But is sure is a pretty vocal call for Alexandra to "voluntarily" give up at least a part of her apanage.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Alex cannot expect to be loved by the Danes by continuing to accept the apanage and doing nothing in return. Nicolai already left the house, Felix won't last much longer either.

So if Alexandra-shaming is starting now, well she has to live with it. It's her decision not to work, to give private interviews etc.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Majesty

It is difficult for me to feel pity for Alexandra's, Countess of Frederiksborg, situation. It would be fair to say that she disappointed royal watchers and Danes by making short-sighted impulsive decisions. Debates about the high apanage she has should not come as a surprise.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Majesty

Another MP for the Liberals have come out and commented on Alexandra's apanage: Apanage-opgør: Ny Venstre-mand vil fjerne Alexandras støtte – Ekstra Bladet

This time the party-spokesman for EU-issues, Jan E. Jørgensen, is is quoted for saying: "When the Princes have grown up, it sure is difficult to argue in favor of her still getting an apanage - particularly of that size".

Still, not a heavyweight within the party, but still an MP and a member of the government party.
However, yesterday a Conservative MP, Rasmus Jarlow, came out defending Alexandra, or rather he thought the things said were nothing but populism. - (Which probably contains a good deal of truth.)

So that cat is getting out of the bag.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Serene Highness

Personally I'm surprised that somebody who had their own successful career like Alex did before her marriage would be happy going on for ever living off the State. Its clear she still can command fair (in fact above fair) pay for sitting on boards of companies so for all this fuss and negative headlines would it not be better for her to go out and pick up a few more days work for large companies.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Majesty

Agree.

I understand she is currently writing a book on business ethics. Perhaps she plans to give lectures?
4-8 such lectures a month should easily give her a monthly income of around 100.000 DKK. And multiplied by twelve that's half her current apanage.
Provided of course people would be interested. But why not? She is in no way stupid or incompetent, on the contrary in fact.
And a seat or two more on a board and she would hardly feel the loss of the apanage.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It's hard to understand. The DRF & Alexandra tried to part in good ways, she got an apanage, could even keep some serious jewellery.
Something must have happened, I think the DRF now want distance from Alex after Martin and the bad publicity, I mean the DRF is so well connected and Alex is qualified, they could have gotten Alex a job at Lego or Maersk, the same way other royal houses take care of in-laws etc. That would solve the problem with the apanage too now that the boys have grown up.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Well, so many thing would be better if done in hindsight.

Opgør slået ned: Venstre-top freder Alexandras apanage – Ekstra Bladet

The two MPs from the Liberals, who spoke about Alexandra's apanage, are officially on their own.
The equivalent to the chief-whip, Jakob Ellemann-Jensen says: "The Liberals have no current plans about changing the rules for or the distribution of the apanage".

In a text-message to Ekstra Bladet, Jakob Ellemann declines to comment further: "I present the Liberals official view/stance. I cannot relate to the personal opinions in individual issues of all members".
Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

She's not making it easier for herself, I'll say that. I can understand that she is hurt and possibly also still sad about the break-up (and that can make you do irrational things), but I think this whole interview-extravaganza was a gigantic blunder on Alexandra's part. It's never pretty when people air their dirty laundry in public and instead of doing that, she should have let Martin's recent announcement that he is indeed dating the woman he is presumed to have cheated on Alexandra's with speak for itself – that would have gained her a lot more sympathy from the general public.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Majesty

Alexandra får 2,3 mio. om året: Nu har hun lånt stort beløb til lækker bil

Alexandra is often in the news these days and it usually isn't good PR. This is yet another example.

BT writes (based on a story from the gossip mag, Se & Hør) that Alexandra has bought a new car, an Audi A4 Avant 2.0.
She made a down payment for 122.000 DKK and borrowed 489.133 DKK for the total cost.
That means the car in total costs some 600.000 DKK. - Tax on cars is extremely high in DK!

Since the article also mention her apanage, the intention of the article is naturally to appall the readers. But loans are tax-deductible. So it would be unwise of her to pay cash, even is she probably could.

It's a car like this she's bought: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...aytonagrau.JPG

- Fair is fair and in this case I think this is an unfair article.
But it is an example of Alexandra continuing to get bad press.

Tags
alexandra, alexandra manley, countess alexandra, countess of frederiksborg, patronages, princess alexandra