121st IOC Session and 13th Olympic Congress in Copenhagen: October 1-9, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really excited to see the Royal Family in Denmark opening their arms to the rest of the olympic world- can't wait to hear the reveal of the 2016 Olympic Host tomorrow, the world is watching!

I see Haya today on TV she wear black coat, she in now in Denmark.

Just a reminder before we get too involved in this discussion, fashion and style should be discussed in the royals' respective threads in the Royal House of Fashion forum and in the non-royals' respective threads in the In the News forum.

Thanks!
:flowers:
Mandy

I also liked seeing the photo of CP Mary curtseying to Queen Sofia! Very polite and respectful. The DRF has published the menu for tonight's dinner:
Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Here are some photos from tonight's event at the opera:
http://www.bt.dk/nyheder/iocs-kongres-skudt-i-gang

Ooops! A US Secret Service agent didn't know who King Constantine was, and wouldn't let him into the event at the opera tonight:
http://www.bt.dk/kendte/kong-hvem-er-du

A Danish security agent came up to the US agent and advised him to let Constantine in. He then informed the American agent of the King's identity.

Last edited:
Here's a group picture from Belga from the luncheon earlier today:
Pic

Plus a new gallery of pictures from the opening ceremony at the Opera House, including one of Prince Albert with Michelle Obama:
Gallery

Last edited:
It makes me sooooo proud that our First Lady is so much taller than Princess Mary Donaldson and the rest of the DRF.

Ooops! A US Secret Service agent didn't know who King Constantine was, and wouldn't let him into the event at the opera tonight:
Kong hvem er du? - Kendte - BT.dk

A Danish security agent came up to the US agent and advised him to let Constantine in. He then informed the American agent of the King's identity.

In my opinion the Secret Service did a good job... Of course they would not know who King Constantine is - His title is illegitimate... the Secret Service can careless about an Ex-King.

Kong hvem er du? - Kendte - BT.dk

With all due respect to the First Lady, whom I like very much, I really detest how the US Secret Service decide to 'take over' in any such manner and determine who enters and who does not simply because their entourage is present. They are on Danish soil and as such, it should be left to the Danish security services to take charge.

The American motorcade tracing around Copenhagen is also a tad rich. The President isn't even present yet!

It reminds me of President Reagans state visit to the UK, and how HM the Queen made it perfectly clear that if the security at Windsor is good enough for her, then it's good enough for the President. Here here!

Princess Mary Donaldson

HRH the Crown Princess, or alternatively, HRH Crown Princess Mary. Not Princess Mary Donaldson. Also, I fail to see what height has to do with anything, myself.

Of course they would not know who King Constantine is - His title is illegitimate... the Secret Service can careless about an Ex-King.

And as for the Secret Service not caring about an ex-King. Well, that ex-King just so happens to be an extended member of the Danish Royal Family. So, you were saying...

It makes me sooooo proud that our First Lady is so much taller than Princess Mary Donaldson and the rest of the DRF.

In my opinion the Secret Service did a good job... Of course they would not know who King Constantine is - His title is illegitimate... the Secret Service can careless about an Ex-King.

Being an American I am not impressed with your post. :bang:

Oh I wish there were pictures of Princess Mary and Letizia of Spain, a pity. By the way I hope the next Olympide be in Rio!

Comments made by royals-royce made me speechless.:shock::shock::shock: I understand being proud of the First Lady, but demeaning members of the Danish royal family is inappropriate.

Please let's move on with the IOC discussion.

Thanks! :flowers:
Mandy

Last edited:
I was just wondering if First Lady Michelle Obama is curtseying when greeting Queen Margrethe, (The photo is the second one on PPE Agency) PPE Agency (click on event to see the whole set of photos from the greeting, it is the second picture) I think it is a very nice gesture if it is a curtsey and good etiquette. Very nicely done :)

:previous:

It looks like it LadyS, although Michelle may still have been ascending the stairs (as seen in a few other photos, she is standing the same distance from the Queen near the stairs when shaking her hand). The First Lady of the United States is however not required to curtsey to a crowned Head of State (King or Queen), as she is the consort to the US Head of State. Heads of State do not bow/curtsey to each other or their consorts.

ETA: From PPE + Getty, some more pictures of royals we haven't seen yet:
Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg
Queen Anne-Marie of Greece (King Constantine is behind her)
The Prince of Orange

Last edited:
The US president and his wife are going to meet the royal family during an audience at 10.40 in Christianborg palace!

:previous:

It looks like it LadyS, although Michelle may still have been ascending the stairs (as seen in a few other photos, she is standing the same distance from the Queen near the stairs when shaking her hand). The First Lady of the United States is however not required to curtsey to a crowned Head of State (King or Queen), as she is the consort to the US Head of State. Heads of State do not bow/curtsey to each other or their consorts.

I was watching a live broadcast and I don't recall having seen Michelle curtsy upon greeting the Queen.

President and Mrs. Obama have been received by the Queen and the Prince Consort at Christiansborg Palace, the parliament building. They proceed to meet the CPly couple. There will be a short coffee break before President Obama's meeting with the Danish prime minister Mr. Lars Løkke Rasmussen. Meanwhile the royal contingent will show Mrs. Obama the Christiansborg tapestries, given to HM at the occasion of her 50th birthday in 1990.
Air Force One is due to leave Copenhagen around 1 p.m.

Viv

I was watching a live broadcast and I don't recall having seen Michelle curtsy upon greeting the Queen.
She didn't when they were introduced yesterday. I couldn't see if she did this morning, maybe I'll watch more footage later on!

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:
She didn't when they were introduced yesterday. I couldn't see if she did this morning, maybe I'll watch more footage later on!

Viv
She certainly didn't. Neither yesterday nor today.

Well, that then confirms my suspicion Michelle was simply finishing walking up the stairs. Thank you for the confirmation MR :flowers:

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the audience, usually we don't see many from Danish audiences. Maybe because of the spotlight on Copenhagen at the moment there will be some pictures released.

She certainly didn't. Neither yesterday nor today.

Correct and same thing when meeting with QEII in London. There is no obligation for her to do so and if I was in her position I would not curtsy for royalty either.

prince faisal will be in Denmark too, sth related to Olympic committee

i guess she will attend the Olympic Congress,that would be intersting to see her with all those personalities.

And,there they went again....oh,I thought they would have waited till tonight,
in a few hours that is when they will announce the big secret.Pity.:ohmy:.....
Or maybe they know,off the cough,it won't be Chicago after all,que sera sera..

Hmm,think the First Lady is tired,he's pushing her up the stairway......

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe:flowers:

Last edited:
Faisal is in Amman but Haya is in Copenhague I saw her on TV yesterday during two events.

oh, i'm so excited to see what the final veredict will be tonight! not long to wait!

it's also quite a nice ocassion to see so many foreign dignataries together. let the best one win!

I must admit...I am rooting for Chicago. As an American I am ashamed that I have never tried to go to the games when they were in Atlanta and Salt Lake City! But I determined to go to London!

While I will extremely happy if Chicago gets the bid (a great city)...I won't be mad if Rio gets it. First time in South America....beautiful city...that would be a treat. I heard Madrid if beautiful as well (a girlfriend went there on vacation last year) but I doubt that the IOC would follow London with Madrid. Toyko seems to be a dark horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom