121st IOC Session and 13th Olympic Congress in Copenhagen: October 1-9, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many votes this cost Chicago - certainly it would have lost Constantine's if he had been going to vote for them but even if it didn't change his vote it may very well have decided others to vote against the US because of the insult to the IOC - afterall to enter the venue they had to pass security but the US officials decided that they didn't have to abide by IOC security and thus may have cost their city vital votes.

This incident was prior to the voting? I hope it didn't influence some members' votes. Voting should have been on the merits of the submitted bids only.

This incident was prior to the voting? I hope it didn't influence some members' votes. Voting should have been on the merits of the submitted bids only.

It happened on the opening evening at the reception given by the Queen of Denmark.

Whether or not it affected the voting will probably never be known but for a wavering voter it could have been the deciding factor as they weighed the merits of each bid as it highlighted security which will always be a major issue for any event to be held in the US,

:previous:

Yes, the incident was prior to voting.

I don’t know whether it influenced the final decision, although like Iluvbertie, I think it could, to some extent.
Don’t you think that such an outrageous treatment of a member of IOC, former King and member of the extended Danish Royal Family (the host country) probably gave the IOC some insight what Olympics would be like in Chicago? A better insight than all computer-generated videos anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, but I think the Atlanta, Salt Lake City and Los Angeles games would speak greater volumes for how Olympics in Chicago would be rather than the actions of one individual. I would think, rather hope, that the IOC is above judging a country based on the actions of one person from said country.

Not if the said individual is the Head of the State.
Anyway, the decision is already made and I guess we can endlessly speculate why Rio was chosen, although the most probable explanation is the growing influence of Brazil and the need to host the Olympics in South American country at last.

The Danish Royal Family was a wonderful host, in my opinion. There seemed to be a general atmosphere of friendliness and good will. :)

Last edited:
Constantine had agreed to opera with his credentials and medal, he had passed the safety systems of the IOC, but the door to acces to occupy chairs of Committee members and the delegations were the security services USA. When the King and other members pretended to access it, the security services prevented it, then the ex-King presented his complaints and acted IOC.Then Mrs Obama arrived to the opera and entered she greeting to former king I think she apologized for the actions of his security .... They were a serious mistake, and that the IOC has its own security .. and this is a separate legal body of the States, the Committee has its jurisdiction and the U.S. can not applied its jurisdiction..
The Olympic city was Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Don’t you think that such an outrageous treatment of member of IOC, former King and member of the extended Danish Royal Family (the host country) probably gave the IOC some insight what Olympics would be like in Chicago? A better insight than all computer-generated videos anyway.

I had not thought about it like that. They would make a profound difference on quite a number of people voting. :)

Chicago was a favorite with Rio de Janeiro because the tradition of the Olympic Committee says that the Olympics should be held in a continent different from the last Olympics, it was now America, Chicago and Rio de Janeiro.
Chicago was the first eliminated, it was a surprise, it was the least voted
I think the inciedent of the King of Greece was resolved with an apology from the First Lady of US.But the committee members, I think that they did not liked see that after passing the security system of the IOC, the U.S. security services had put other new security control that they had that pass (Constantine was not the only members affected , others members had this problem) and I think this action by the security services did not liked to the members, besides that Obama only was in the presentation of the candidacy (1 hour):bang:

IMO the Constantine-incident at the Opera House did not affect the Constantine's vote. Again IMO!
I'm almost willing to bet that he did vote for the capital of the country of which his sister is Queen! ;)

Viv

It is possible ,but the U.S. security system affected to all members of the Committee.It could has not like to the members, the Committee has its jurisdiction.

Just so everyone is aware of the voting procedure and the possibilty of Chicago losing King Constantine's vote, Honorary and Honor Members do not get to vote. King Constantine is an Honorary Member of the IOC, thus he did not have a vote for the 2016 Summer Games host.

The information on who can and cannot vote can be found here, under '2016 Host City Election Procedure', then selecting '2016 Voting Membership'.

Just so everyone is aware of the voting procedure and the possibilty of Chicago losing King Constantine's vote, Honorary and Honor Members do not get to vote. King Constantine is an Honorary Member of the IOC, thus he did not have a vote for the 2016 Summer Games host.

The information on who can and cannot vote can be found here, under '2016 Host City Election Procedure', then selecting '2016 Voting Membership'.

Thanks for THIS!!!!
, this is true in the decision of Olympic cities do not participate in election the honor members , but again I repeat the security cordon of U.S. security services affected to all members of the Committee , also to members entitled to vote.:whistling:

.......royalty will always be more special than a president. :flowers:

I think it's what you do, what you achieve, that makes you special.

At least Barack Obama had to go through a very tough campaign to become leader. Frederik and Joachim were just born royal. The accident of birth made them royal. They haven't done anything significant (yet).

The only male royal I admire is Britain's Prince Charles. He started his Prince's Trust when he was in his twenties. THAT is special, in my opinion.

October 3rd-5th
13th Olympic Congress at the Bella Centre. Crown Prince Frederik will attend the opening day (he is a candidate for IOC membership).

P.Frederik's speech found here in english,
here is a video and here is another video which you have to watch about 10 or so minutes till Frederik talks

:previous:
Beautiful speech, he has such a wonderful calming voice. Very passionate. :)

Thanks for THIS!!!!
, this is true in the decision of Olympic cities do not participate in election the honor members , but again I repeat the security cordon of U.S. security services affected to all members of the Committee , also to members entitled to vote.:whistling:

If anything, I suspect this had a positive effect on the Committee. I was involved with both the Atlanta and Salt Lake City games, and as far as the IOC was concerned, the more security and the tighter the controls, the better.

It's also important to remember that the Secret Service has one duty in a case like this: Protect Michelle Obama. That's quite different from the IOC's general security for the entire event. Foreign dignitaries generally travel with their own security and coordinate with additional resources in their host countries. There was nothing unusual about the Secret Service's action in this case.

Although Constantine may have found it annoying, I doubt he would have taken it too personally. He has spent his entire life among people who are very well and closely guarded, so he would understand the issue. He has also lived in relative anonymity for the last 30 years, so he's probably also accustomed to things like this.

It seems as if HRH Prince Willem-Alexander has kept a rather low profile during his attendance at the IOC this session in Denmark. I would like to know what he is working on for/at the IOC. Has there been a press release stating such information?

Would be lovely to see photo's of Willem Alexander, Frederik and Mary. Last time I recall seeing photo's of these three together was at the Beijing Olympics after a swimming tournament. Maxima was also present then.

Danish Crown Prince Frederik talks during the opening of the 13th Congress of the IOC
on October 3, 2009, in the Bella Center in Copenhagen.

Pic 1 ** Pic 2
KELD NAVNTOFT/AFP/Getty Images

The remaining timetable is as follows:

The Olympic Congress closes today. The delegates will have discussed the five sub-themes (Athletes, the Games, Structure of the Olympic Movement, Olympism and Youth, the Digital Revolution).

October 7th to 9th: 121st IOC Session:
Election of IOC President and IOC Members
Election of new sports - golf? rugby?
Grand Closing Reception in Tivoli Garden.

There are some nice, downloadable photos by the Media Centre, of Crown Prince Frederik, Jacques Rogge etc.
For download - 121st IOC Session and XIII Olympic Congress in Copenhagen 2009

Thank you Renata4711, this is the information on the remaining timeline and agenda that I was looking for on the IOC conference. It really takes so much work from so many dedicated people to keep the Olympics the wonderful worldly event that it is.

Oct 5, The Crown Prince and the Crown Princess participate in evening event for EOC (European Olympic Committees) at Carlsberg Museum's premises.

Here is a brief article and picture gallery from BB

Election of new sports - golf? rugby?

I'd take rugby over golf! I was watching it in a sports bar during lunch once - first time I've ever seen it played. Man is that a brutal game! During the hour or so we were there, there must have been half a dozen guys carted off the field with head/neck stabilizers on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom