The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Albert from Monaco arrives at the Opera House for the opening of the 121st Session and XIII Olympic Congress in Copenhagen (1/10/2009).

http://i37.tinypic.com/14ncnle.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/bgv153.jpg

Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthelight View Post
Prince Albert from Monaco arrives at the Opera House for the opening of the 121st Session and XIII Olympic Congress in Copenhagen (1/10/2009).

http://i37.tinypic.com/14ncnle.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/bgv153.jpg
I'm glad Prince Albert has come to the session.
Anyone know who the one in fur is in the second picture?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Majesty

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Queen Sofia: 'You have to congratulate Rio'

courtesy hja
Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals-royce View Post
It makes me sooooo proud that our First Lady is so much taller than Princess Mary Donaldson and the rest of the DRF.

In my opinion the Secret Service did a good job... Of course they would not know who King Constantine is - His title is illegitimate... the Secret Service can careless about an Ex-King.

The incident with the King of Greece is very serious:
The security services of Mrs. Obama has not jurisdiction over the IOC, because the IOC is a body independent of politics and States, it is into of the Statutes of IOC,when Samaranch took office when one of its objectives was the independent of States, being the only body in which is independent of the sovereignty of the states. The Olympic Committee has exclusive jurisdiction to determine who are the members of the Committee.Constantine is members of the Committee Olimpic since 1960, he wore his medal and his credential of member, the committee Olympic has their security services, The Olympic Committee has its security services independent of the States, the mission of these services is identify to the members of Olympic committee .. Mrs. Obama is not members of the Committee olympic, she is invited by the Committee , the former King of Greece is members of the Committee. The U.S. security services can not prevent access to one member because this violates the principle of independent jurisdiction of the International Olympic Committee, it is into Statute of fundation of the Olympic Committee , they have violated the principle of independence of Committee

I remite you to founding Statute of the International Olympic Committee and Jose Antonio Samaranch and the speech he gave in Russia when he was set Chairman of the Committee .. his aim has been to make independent to the Olympic Committee of States. This has made to Samaranch is very dear to the Committee (Thanks to this have been possible in countries like China the Olympics ... because Samaranch has ensured that the Committee was independent of the States) We do not talk in this case of:
A former King and a First Lady, we speak of a committee member and a first Lady of a state.

The states don´t govern the Olympic Committee, it is the hallmark of this international body

In it governs the Olympic Committee, here do not govern the States and its security services.

If we recognize that the security services of a State may prosecute who is a member of the Olympic committee and who is not a member and may prevent their access to a celebration of the IOC, then the Olympic committee will have lost its identity.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

A plethora of comments. Wasn't too keen on Michelle's clothes.

Wasn't King Constantine (and the other IOC dignitaries and invited guests) wearing some sort of identifying credential? If he wasn't, that was a serious mistake on the part of the IOC. Otherwise, how could the US security tell who was supposed to be there? If the king was wearing a credential, apologies should be made (and it would probably be a good idea to apologize anyway, to attempt to keep relations as good as possible).

And congratulations to Buenos Aires, it's probably time to have another Olympics Games in the southern hemisphere (even though Chicago would have been SO convenient for me).
Old 10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Serene Highness

The former King of Greece wore his Olympic medal in Rome and his credential, Security Services Olympic Committee had identified him as a member, the U.S. security services prevented access, he had been identified by the Security Services Olympic Committee ..
The credential has a code that passed through a scanner identifies the person and data .. The former king of Greece had his credential, which was detected by the scanner ..
Old 10-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Wasn't too keen on Michelle's clothes.
Sigh. Never am. Wish she would fire her stylist and exile them to the North Pole.

I agree with you about Constantine, Belt. That whole story is pretty embarrassing. I can't even imagine how it happened, because generally security like that are shown photos of all the prominent people who might be there. And regardless, it shouldn't be necessary for security to block people from the First Lady inside the Danish palace.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
I agree with you about Constantine, Belt. That whole story is pretty embarrassing. I can't even imagine how it happened, because generally security like that are shown photos of all the prominent people who might be there. And regardless, it shouldn't be necessary for security to block people from the First Lady inside the Danish palace.
It didn't happen at the palace, it happened at the Opera, which holds about 1500 persons!
Also don't forget that the reported snub is from a second hand source; no journalist actually witnessed the incident ( not that it necessarily would make it more credible ).
Considering the circumstances in a packed opera house, I suppose this is what could be expected; mrs. Obama was under tight security, and I doubt that any IOC-member could walk up to her for a chat. I believe that those she wanted to meet were singled out and presented to her. Considering the security measures being a former king does not make any difference, nor should it, if you ask me !

Viv
Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Timetable of the Olympic Congress - 3rd - 5th October:
http://www.2009olympiccongress.com/N...ongress_2_.pdf
Old 10-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Wasn't too keen on Michelle's clothes.

And congratulations to Buenos Aires, it's probably time to have another Olympics Games in the southern hemisphere (even though Chicago would have been SO convenient for me).
Didn't think that gold dress was appropriate or looked that great on her. In fact I hardly recognized her! Chicago would have been great for me too, but I'm glad to see it go to a country that hasn't already hosted an Olympics.

As for the incident with the Secret Service, Michelle Obama and King Constantine.........all I can say is it's better if the SS is over-vigulant about such things than slacking off at their job. Apologies should be made and accepted.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:21 AM
Majesty

I wonder how many votes this cost Chicago - certainly it would have lost Constantine's if he had been going to vote for them but even if it didn't change his vote it may very well have decided others to vote against the US because of the insult to the IOC - afterall to enter the venue they had to pass security but the US officials decided that they didn't have to abide by IOC security and thus may have cost their city vital votes.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:31 AM
Royal Highness

This incident was prior to the voting? I hope it didn't influence some members' votes. Voting should have been on the merits of the submitted bids only.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
This incident was prior to the voting? I hope it didn't influence some members' votes. Voting should have been on the merits of the submitted bids only.
It happened on the opening evening at the reception given by the Queen of Denmark.

Whether or not it affected the voting will probably never be known but for a wavering voter it could have been the deciding factor as they weighed the merits of each bid as it highlighted security which will always be a major issue for any event to be held in the US,
Old 10-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Courtier

Yes, the incident was prior to voting.

I don’t know whether it influenced the final decision, although like Iluvbertie, I think it could, to some extent.
Don’t you think that such an outrageous treatment of a member of IOC, former King and member of the extended Danish Royal Family (the host country) probably gave the IOC some insight what Olympics would be like in Chicago? A better insight than all computer-generated videos anyway.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, but I think the Atlanta, Salt Lake City and Los Angeles games would speak greater volumes for how Olympics in Chicago would be rather than the actions of one individual. I would think, rather hope, that the IOC is above judging a country based on the actions of one person from said country.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:14 AM
Courtier

Not if the said individual is the Head of the State.
Anyway, the decision is already made and I guess we can endlessly speculate why Rio was chosen, although the most probable explanation is the growing influence of Brazil and the need to host the Olympics in South American country at last.

The Danish Royal Family was a wonderful host, in my opinion. There seemed to be a general atmosphere of friendliness and good will.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Serene Highness

Constantine had agreed to opera with his credentials and medal, he had passed the safety systems of the IOC, but the door to acces to occupy chairs of Committee members and the delegations were the security services USA. When the King and other members pretended to access it, the security services prevented it, then the ex-King presented his complaints and acted IOC.Then Mrs Obama arrived to the opera and entered she greeting to former king I think she apologized for the actions of his security .... They were a serious mistake, and that the IOC has its own security .. and this is a separate legal body of the States, the Committee has its jurisdiction and the U.S. can not applied its jurisdiction..
The Olympic city was Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Don’t you think that such an outrageous treatment of member of IOC, former King and member of the extended Danish Royal Family (the host country) probably gave the IOC some insight what Olympics would be like in Chicago? A better insight than all computer-generated videos anyway.
I had not thought about it like that. They would make a profound difference on quite a number of people voting.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Serene Highness

Chicago was a favorite with Rio de Janeiro because the tradition of the Olympic Committee says that the Olympics should be held in a continent different from the last Olympics, it was now America, Chicago and Rio de Janeiro.
Chicago was the first eliminated, it was a surprise, it was the least voted
I think the inciedent of the King of Greece was resolved with an apology from the First Lady of US.But the committee members, I think that they did not liked see that after passing the security system of the IOC, the U.S. security services had put other new security control that they had that pass (Constantine was not the only members affected , others members had this problem) and I think this action by the security services did not liked to the members, besides that Obama only was in the presentation of the candidacy (1 hour)
Old 10-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Courtier

IMO the Constantine-incident at the Opera House did not affect the Constantine's vote. Again IMO!
I'm almost willing to bet that he did vote for the capital of the country of which his sister is Queen!

Viv