121st IOC Session and 13th Olympic Congress in Copenhagen: October 1-9, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, can we please follow the previous moderator instructions to move on from certain comments? Let us not derail the entire thread, please.

JessRulz :flowers:
Danish Forum Mod

Edited to add: I've deleted the second outbreak of posts that JessRulz is referring to - the ones posted after Mandy's request to move on.
Elspeth

Last edited by a moderator:
They've just said on french TV that Chicago and Tokyo are out!

The choice is between Rio and Madrid!

They've just said on french TV that Chicago and Tokyo are out!

The choice is between Rio and Madrid!

You took the words right out of my mouth,I just saw it too.
Think Rio's chances are so huge now,think it might be there after all :)

Latest news says Chicago & Toyko lose bid- Rio & Madrid still in running!

It was a lovely meeting! I guess they'll meet again in december for the Copenhagen conference for the climate!

:brazilflag2:

And the winner is:RIO!!

Felicidades do Brazil!!

Fantastic!!See you all from august 5th till august 21st 2016 in Rio!

I think it is absolutely great that the IOC had the guts to give Rio,Brazil,all of South America a chance.

Last edited:
RIO it is------wow!!!

How wonderful for RIO -- they were always my choice!

Congrats to Rio!! It will be great to have olympics games in this beautiful city! it's a wonderful opportunity for the city and for the country!

I must admit...I am rooting for Chicago. As an American I am ashamed that I have never tried to go to the games when they were in Atlanta and Salt Lake City! But I determined to go to London!

While I will extremely happy if Chicago gets the bid (a great city)...I won't be mad if Rio gets it. First time in South America....beautiful city...that would be a treat. I heard Madrid if beautiful as well (a girlfriend went there on vacation last year) but I doubt that the IOC would follow London with Madrid. Toyko seems to be a dark horse.

I wouldn't be ashamed, I didn't even go to them when they are in my own city (Calgary 88). The bad thing with the Olympics is that the tickets prices are so inflated that the average local can't afford to go.

Princess Haya wear today again blue outfit in Denmark.

I read he will leave to Denmark but do not know exactly when

Perhaps he was today I don´t see him on TV only Haya. She was beautiful yesterday wearing black dress.

I love the pictures, i was hoping they would visit Denmark sooner or later. :flowers:

Princess Anne arrived as well at the Opening Cermony at
the Opera House:

----> Pic

She looks all alone. :)

Ooops! A US Secret Service agent didn't know who King Constantine was, and wouldn't let him into the event at the opera tonight:
Kong hvem er du? - Kendte - BT.dk

A Danish security agent came up to the US agent and advised him to let Constantine in. He then informed the American agent of the King's identity.

Oh how awful for King Constantine. Did they say anything about Queen Anne-Marie? :flowers:

With all due respect to the First Lady, whom I like very much, I really detest how the US Secret Service decide to 'take over' in any such manner and determine who enters and who does not simply because their entourage is present. They are on Danish soil and as such, it should be left to the Danish security services to take charge.

The American motorcade tracing around Copenhagen is also a tad rich. The President isn't even present yet!

It reminds me of President Reagans state visit to the UK, and how HM the Queen made it perfectly clear that if the security at Windsor is good enough for her, then it's good enough for the President. Here here!

And as for the Secret Service not caring about an ex-King. Well, that ex-King just so happens to be an extended member of the Danish Royal Family. So, you were saying...

I agree with everything you say, I love President Obama but to me royalty will always be more special than a president. :flowers:

Love the beard, and the matching ties. :)

It still astounds me that Oprah is there.

Princess Mary is always the shining star for me.
I am very glad that Rio got the games. :flowers::flowers:

I think this is so great for RIO!!!!!! I was rooting for them! I agree lumutqueeen, why was Oprah there, and yes Princess Mary was the absolute shining star. She really looked gorgeous!!!

It makes me sooooo proud that our First Lady is so much taller than Princess Mary Donaldson and the rest of the DRF.

In my opinion the Secret Service did a good job... Of course they would not know who King Constantine is - His title is illegitimate... the Secret Service can careless about an Ex-King.

The incident with the King of Greece is very serious:
The security services of Mrs. Obama has not jurisdiction over the IOC, because the IOC is a body independent of politics and States, it is into of the Statutes of IOC,when Samaranch took office when one of its objectives was the independent of States, being the only body in which is independent of the sovereignty of the states. The Olympic Committee has exclusive jurisdiction to determine who are the members of the Committee.Constantine is members of the Committee Olimpic since 1960, he wore his medal and his credential of member, the committee Olympic has their security services, The Olympic Committee has its security services independent of the States, the mission of these services is identify to the members of Olympic committee .. Mrs. Obama is not members of the Committee olympic, she is invited by the Committee , the former King of Greece is members of the Committee. The U.S. security services can not prevent access to one member because this violates the principle of independent jurisdiction of the International Olympic Committee, it is into Statute of fundation of the Olympic Committee , they have violated the principle of independence of Committee

I remite you to founding Statute of the International Olympic Committee and Jose Antonio Samaranch and the speech he gave in Russia when he was set Chairman of the Committee .. his aim has been to make independent to the Olympic Committee of States. This has made to Samaranch is very dear to the Committee (Thanks to this have been possible in countries like China the Olympics ... because Samaranch has ensured that the Committee was independent of the States) We do not talk in this case of:
A former King and a First Lady, we speak of a committee member and a first Lady of a state.

The states don´t govern the Olympic Committee, it is the hallmark of this international body

In it governs the Olympic Committee, here do not govern the States and its security services.

If we recognize that the security services of a State may prosecute who is a member of the Olympic committee and who is not a member and may prevent their access to a celebration of the IOC, then the Olympic committee will have lost its identity.

A plethora of comments. Wasn't too keen on Michelle's clothes.

Wasn't King Constantine (and the other IOC dignitaries and invited guests) wearing some sort of identifying credential? If he wasn't, that was a serious mistake on the part of the IOC. Otherwise, how could the US security tell who was supposed to be there? If the king was wearing a credential, apologies should be made (and it would probably be a good idea to apologize anyway, to attempt to keep relations as good as possible).

And congratulations to Buenos Aires, it's probably time to have another Olympics Games in the southern hemisphere (even though Chicago would have been SO convenient for me).

The former King of Greece wore his Olympic medal in Rome and his credential, Security Services Olympic Committee had identified him as a member, the U.S. security services prevented access, he had been identified by the Security Services Olympic Committee ..
The credential has a code that passed through a scanner identifies the person and data .. The former king of Greece had his credential, which was detected by the scanner ..:eek:

Wasn't too keen on Michelle's clothes.

Sigh. Never am. Wish she would fire her stylist and exile them to the North Pole.

I agree with you about Constantine, Belt. That whole story is pretty embarrassing. I can't even imagine how it happened, because generally security like that are shown photos of all the prominent people who might be there. And regardless, it shouldn't be necessary for security to block people from the First Lady inside the Danish palace.

I agree with you about Constantine, Belt. That whole story is pretty embarrassing. I can't even imagine how it happened, because generally security like that are shown photos of all the prominent people who might be there. And regardless, it shouldn't be necessary for security to block people from the First Lady inside the Danish palace.

It didn't happen at the palace, it happened at the Opera, which holds about 1500 persons!
Also don't forget that the reported snub is from a second hand source; no journalist actually witnessed the incident ( not that it necessarily would make it more credible ;)).
Considering the circumstances in a packed opera house, I suppose this is what could be expected; mrs. Obama was under tight security, and I doubt that any IOC-member could walk up to her for a chat. I believe that those she wanted to meet were singled out and presented to her. Considering the security measures being a former king does not make any difference, nor should it, if you ask me :)!

Viv

Wasn't too keen on Michelle's clothes.

And congratulations to Buenos Aires, it's probably time to have another Olympics Games in the southern hemisphere (even though Chicago would have been SO convenient for me).

Didn't think that gold dress was appropriate or looked that great on her. In fact I hardly recognized her! Chicago would have been great for me too, but I'm glad to see it go to a country that hasn't already hosted an Olympics.

As for the incident with the Secret Service, Michelle Obama and King Constantine.........all I can say is it's better if the SS is over-vigulant about such things than slacking off at their job. Apologies should be made and accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom