Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events, Part 7 (Jan. 2009 - July 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Paola looks beautiful! I love the photo of Mathilde with the children. Very lovely.

I prefere much more the Queen with Princess Claire .
Actually I have to say that the Queen and Princess Claire has a closer relationship and the Queen and Princess Mathilde seem to be very formal to eachother and I found quite an aloofnees between them. This is too sad, because I checked it also in the Queen's relationship with Philippe and Mathilde's childre. But surely I'm wrong, it'd be only a bad idea in my mind, 'cause there are few occasion to watch them altogether.

Pics 13.5.2009

King Albert II and Princess Mahtilde of Belgium pictured at a
meeting with the certificated ambassadors of the King, at the
Royal palace in Laken/Laeken, on Wednesday 13 May 2009

- another nice team I would say :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga gallery **

It is great that Crown Princess Mathilde undertook an engagement alongside her father-in-law. It appears that their relationships are fine.
Princess Claire has not got an agenda of her own as Crown Princess Mathilde or Princess Astrid has. Thus, it is easier to ask Princess Claire to accompany Queen Paola. I think it is normal to have different types of relationships between family members. Queen Paola feels, shall we say, more comfortable with Princess Claire, whereas she tends to have more formal relationships with her eldest daughter-in-law.

Princess Claire does not have as many engagements on her own,
but she does have some. But maybe that's also how you've meant
it, Al_bina :)

Here are some more additional pics of Mathilde and King Albert from
yesterday:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

Mathilde looks elegant and lovely.She has a very good taste.She is so sweet and elegant ,she is my favourite princess alive.Thanks iceflower for the pics:flowers:

Princess Claire does not have as many engagements on her own,
but she does have some. But maybe that's also how you've meant
it, Al_bina :) ... [snipped]
Indeed, Princess Claire does carry few engagements on behalf of the Belgium royal family. Let us say that Princess Claire's agenda is not as full as that of Crown Princess Mathilde.

Princess Mathilde looks so elegant and chic in her green outfit. She seems so sweet and lovely when she meet people. Thank you for the pics, Icflower.:flowers:

Mathilde looks stunning, and I like very much seeing her very closed to her father-in-law. Green suits perfectly on her!!!!!!!!!

Pics 19.5.2009

The Royal Family ( including King Albert, Queen Paola, Queen
Fabiola, Princess Mathilde, Princess Claire, Prince Philippe and
others) attends a lunch on the occasion of "Koning Boudewijn
prijs" (King Baudouin Prize) at Laeken Castle, Belgium, May 19:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga gallery **

Last edited by a moderator:
The day King Albert dies (I hope not yet), Mathilde is Queen and Paola Dowager..

For Queen Paola, why not HM the Queen Mother of Belgium? However, no belgian Queens have been Queen Dowager or Queen Mother, but only HM Queen X of Belgium...so why would they change the title for the widow or mother of the King?

Albert Ier wife Elisabeth was Queen Elisabeth never the Queen Mother.
I think in GB they had to do that because both had the same surname.
Queen Ingrid was never Queen Mother of Danemark. Frederika never for Grece.
What I never understood is that Queen Juliana after her abdication was Princess Juliana.
Did her mother do the same ??
I am sure we will never have Queen Maxima and Princess Beatrix..
GB had 3 Queens , Queen Mary, Queen Elisabeth the Queen Mother and Queen Elisabeth II.

Also Queen Wilhelmina took the title of Princess, because two "full rights" Queens (=not Queens consort) cannot exist at the same time in the same country.

It's strange that they do this in the Netherlands, but Leopold III always remained King, even when his son had succeeded him as ruling monarch. As usual, the rules are different for women, I suppose... :rolleyes:

I think there is no easy translation of the word Dowager in Dutch or French, and this is also why we do not use such terms. All I get is "douairière", don't know how much it is actually used in French, but certainly never heard it in Dutch (maybe thaty's just me, though). And all our Queen-consorts have different names, so there's no reason to start using terms like "Queen Mother" or "Dowager Queen". I believe in Britain it was indeed because the two women had the same name. Besides, the term "Queen Mother" is basically patented by Elizabeth.

Though I understand it's kind of strange, I really don't understand the fuss about possibly having 3 Queen-consorts. There's no reason to take that (honorary) title away from them just because their husbands die.
Furthermore, Belgium has already lived through a time when the country had three "Queens", even though one of them never used the title: Queen Elisabeth, Princess Lilian and Queen Fabiola.
You may question putting Princess Lilian in this list as much as you want, but she was the undisputed First Lady of Belgium until Fabiola arrived, married to the ruling King (during the time he did rule anyway) and therefore technically Queen.

It's much more confusing we had King Leopold and King Boudewijn at the same time.

Anyway, back on topic, does anyone have an idea why Prince Laurent didn't attend? He wasn't scheduled to, either, according to the website of the RF.

"La douairière" is still used in France in old noble families, in Belgium I don't know.
For Prince Laurent I heard they were in Ostend with the Priest Guy Gilbert ??

It is nice to see the whole royal family undertaking an engagements and Queen Fabiola making one more public appearance. By the way, Prince Laurent did not attend. Was there any particular reason for doing so?

Maybe Prince Laurent attended the funeral of his uncle and godfather, Baron Bettino Ricasoli Firidolfi, that took place yesterday in Forence...but my is only an hypothesis.

I've noticed that Queen Fabiola uses to wear gloves also while eating, in these days; I wonder why...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom