The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks to all that have posted such great info to learn about. I really love reading and most importantly learning all about this. I have the same question as Katrianna...Why is Prince Philippe so unpopular and how about the rest of the family's popularity?

Old 01-29-2007, 04:25 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Thank you Henri M. for share with us that information. I think we all learn with this and that's good to help us make a better "judgement".

Aurora810, I am not from Belgium so I can't tell much about Philipe unpopularity. Here in the Forum he is quite popular (I like his work a lot!). About his sibling's popularity, I think Princess Mathilde is very, very popular in Belgium and Princess Astrid too.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Aristocracy

It's very interessting to note that Philippe is liked on the Forum. Indeed he does alot of good things. On the items he does, there is not so much critisicm. It more in the way he does it. My opinion:
Lets take a look: what makes royalty popular?
good looks,
somethimes pass the protocol
human things like love affairs
humor
and one can think of more things

When Philippe was young, he was sportive, good looking, he is a parachutist, flies F16, made trips around the world, he was in that time just as cool as prince William of UK.... But nobody paid attention, he was unknown by the public

And when the public came to know him, he was about 30 and very shy and with lack of selfconfidence. We only saw him on boring official occasion, being very serious and stiff.

At that time we came to know king Albert, who has a totaly other style. his humor and non-stiff behaviour stole the hearts of the people. The perception of him is like a cool king, who drives a motorbike, like the women and parties.

In people's perception Philippe is the whole contrary. And through the years, it has become rather cool to criticise him instead of honour him... And press has a great deal in creating that boring stiff image...you understand the frustration
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks so much Martha Louise for sharing. I know him and the royal family seem very popular on the forums here. I didn't really know any of that background info about him so thanks for informing me. It sounds as though Philippe just lacks the charisma that his father was blessed with. It also sounds like the media has maybe made a sport out of making fun of him. Here in America we certainly have plenty of shows that make it their purpose to make fun of celebs and politicians. Too bad he doesn't receive more respect.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Aristocracy

Mass celebrated in the church Our Lady to Laeken, to the memory of the dead Members of the Royal Family : link (Source Belga) : BelgaPicture
Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandresylvie
Mass celebrated in the church Our Lady to Laeken, to the memory of the dead Members of the Royal Family : link (Source Belga) : BelgaPicture
thanks alexandreslylvie!
but i don't like mathilde's outfit... is so
Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have shaken hands with Philippe and talked a little bit with him, he is an hundred times more likeable and handsome "in the flesh" than on pix and videos
Old 02-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Commoner

where is Queen Paola??
Old 02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice to see the family.

Pictures:
Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde
Prince Lorentz, Princess Astrid, Queen Fabiola, King Albert, Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde

Gallery of pictures from Getty.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Royal Highness

Thank to all for the most interesting information !!!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamenkoa1
where is Queen Paola??

Yes. where is Queen Paola, that was my thougt too when I saw todays pictures. And I also noticed that te visit to the Federal Crime Computer Unit of the Federal Police in Brussels [13-2-2007] is disapeared of her agenda of the webside of the Belgium Monarchie. [I have not seen any sign of that visit in the Belgium press too]. I hope that she is not become a victim of the epidemic flu that seems to prevail [according to the webside of the vrt f.i.] and that Queen Paola appears in pubic again soon and that we can see some nice pictures of my favourite [non reigning] Queen again.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Royal Highness

I have the idea Queen Paola never really recovered from her nasty fall, last year in Italy.

For some reasons she looks depressed. The Belgian royal family is in difficult circumstances and the Queen looks 'down' about it. Like she has capitulated for the negative sentiments and the 'Coburg-bashing'.

I don't know. What is your impression on Queen Paola the latest months?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathilde16
thanks alexandreslylvie!
but i don't like mathilde's outfit... is so
Horrible outfit, especially the hat
Old 02-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Serene Highness

Nice to see so many members at once. I agree with others, Mathilde's outfit was not the best. And Philippe really didn't look that great either. I mean his clothes were fine but his coloring or something didn't look so great.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Paola is still recovering from the influenza she had over the weekend.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Henri M.:I have the idea Queen Paola never really recovered from her nasty fall, last year in Italy.

For some reasons she looks depressed. The Belgian royal family is in difficult circumstances and the Queen looks 'down' about it. Like she has capitulated for the negative sentiments and the 'Coburg-bashing'.
I don't know. What is your impression on Queen Paola the latest months?

My impression is that the accident en the injury that got with it has made a big inpact on Queen Paola and that recovering from it is more difficult and takes more time than she thougt or hoped. But as far as you can determine from pictures it is going better on and on. At the last visit of Queen Paola and King Albert to Fleurus she seemed rather fine to me.Yes perhaps she is not recovering so fast, I wish for Queen Paola that that is not so. Yes you can see that she is an older woman, so what, we can't be young forever. Nature is well towards her in my opinion. I think that she is used to and hardened the whole show about the complications around Phillip an Laurent. She achives her things in the background.[Unfortunately for me with few pictures] I don't think she has capitulate for the problems, she needs her time to recover fully.
But all of this stay just guessing, time wil tell maybe. It just gives me a reason [as if a need that]to go to the book shop tomorrow to get some belgian papers. If they give a reason for the absence of Queen Paola, I will tell you, otherwise was it nice guessing in English for once. I hope you can make some sense out of it.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Aristocracy

Aha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Queen Paola is still recovering from the influenza she had over the weekend.
Posting my reply I discover that the answer of the absence of Queen Paola is already given. So my guess was right. Well, thank you fo the answer Emely. And I wish Queen Paola will soon be well again.

But I am still going to the bookshop tomorrow!!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Aristocracy

Laurent and Claire are also abscent...

I think the king looks very 'classy' with his (new?) vest!

And about Mathilde, it's wintertime, brown is the color, it's not always easy to wear new creations. But spring is coming, and so will the colors, with the dashing skirts and blouses, a bit patience :)
Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Aristocracy

Poor Prince Philippe looks like he's suffering from the flu too. His color is ashen and look at those circles under his eyes!
Old 02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

a mass in memory of the deceased members of the Royal family, Thursday 15 February 2007, in Laken, near Brussels - pictures

Tags
archduke lorenz, belgian royal family, crown prince phillipe, crown princess mathilde, king albert ii, prince laurent, prince lorenz, princess astrid, princess claire, queen fabiola, queen paola