The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 05:29 AM
Courtier

You´re right Cathérine - a rather strange attitude since van Quickenborne is also well-known for his republican ideas.
This is all part of the “Belgian disease” and I fear today’s elections will reflect this self-destructive manner as well.
BTW here are Fabiola, Mathilde and Philippe voting in Laeken today (Oct. 8th). No special treatment - they stand in line like anybody else. And Mathilde carries a bag with a photo of Elisabeth on it. (ap via yahoo, polfoto, getty)

Old 10-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Mathilde of Belgium votes in a polling station in Brussels, Sunday Oct. 8, 2006. Belgium's local elections are taking place Sunday in the whole country, where the vote is compulsory for citizens except for the King and the Queen who can not vote.

from Polfoto

Old 10-08-2006, 05:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Lovely bag, I suppose Gabriel and Emmanuel's pix are on the other side !
Old 10-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Courtier

...and some additions from Belga and nieuwsblad:

Belga discovered the bag as well...
Old 10-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Belgium's Prince Philippe (back L) and Princess Mathilde (back 2ndL) wait to cast their ballot in a polling station in Brussels, 08 October 2006, during the Belgian municipal and provincial elections. Belgian voters go to the polls Sunday for municipal elections which have already highlighted the growing rift between the Dutch-speaking north and the francophone south, with far-right parties exploiting the tension.

from Profimedia
Old 10-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Courtier

You can catch a glimpse of the elections here. (go to Zondag 08/10 13 u, the clip starts at about 33:20 min run time)

There is sad news from Fabiola. Her eldest brother died on Friday and she had to catch an airplane to Spain this morning to be present at his funeral today. Therefore she had to jump the queue. This was a source of embarrassment to her and she apologized for this many times while passing the waiting voters. During electing she told the assessors that she disliked not being able to wait like anyone else and would have preferred to stand in line - but then she would miss her plane. In the mean time Philippe and Mathilde arrived and lined up. They bid farewell to Fabiola who regretted once more that she had to push to the front.

The rest of the clip deals with Mathilde´s bag and casting the ballots.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Courtier

And here are Astrid, Amedeo and Maria-Laura in their polling station. (belga)

Old 10-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Nobility

Cool thanks for the pics. Who won the elections?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Aristocracy

I love this one http://img151.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_444lo.jpg

What a beautiful smile....
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

It's quite funny to see royals at the polling station. It doesn't happen very often, but it's good to see that the Belgian royals even stand in line like everyone else!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Now I only wonder what they have voted... all Christian Democrats I suspect

The Duke of Brabant must be pleased (as most people are) that Vlaams Belang lost/was stopped in Antwerp, considering what he said about that party in the past.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Now I only wonder what they have voted... all Christian Democrats I suspect
I´m not sure about Laurent. I have a hunch that he could be a supporter of Green/ecolo!
Quote:
The Duke of Brabant must be pleased (as most people are) that Vlaams Belang lost/was stopped in Antwerp, considering what he said about that party in the past.
Philippe surely is pleased; nevertheless the 33% that Vlaams Belang scored in Antwerp are still terrifying.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

No matter of the poll results and for which party they had voted, it's great to see pics of the BRF how they're standing with the other people, chating with them and waiting for their turn.
Do you imagine members of the other RF specially British?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think they all voted Christian Democrats. Because the Flemish Christian Democrats are in a cartel with N-VA that is a separatistic party. I guess they are more liberal voters to help the economy. But I don't know in Laken, but sometimes there is also the party BUB Belgische Unie/Union Belge that asks for Belgian unionism instead of federalism.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
No matter of the poll results, it's great to see pics of the BRF how they're standing with the other people, chating with them and waiting for their turn.
Do you imagine members of the other RF specially British?
I think they have to be careful with those things. If they are to much down to the people, people don't mystify them anymore. Now they still are a kind of gods, untouchable and desirable for the people. That gives them a certain standing, they are special in a certain way. By mixing into the mass, people see that they are just as normal as all folks are. That creates the feeling that everyone could be a monarch. You don't have to posess certain talents Royals are born with their title. That's when people start mocking about their royals and doesn't take them serious. They stand up to have skilled people to reign the country (read: a president)
Royals nowadays need to walk the thin line between distance towards the people (like in England) and mix in the mass of people (like a lot of young royals do often)

Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

That's right and I agree with you. But I mean that's something incredible that the members of the present RF - future King and Queen, late King's wife the Queen and Princes dawn to Earth just for the one day and they were like the other normal people. I know that they have many engagements when they're meeting with the people but not like this polling day, when they were so closd.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Nobility

Queen Fabiola is much dear to royal family of Belgium and Queen Fabiola hug big to Crown Princess Mathilde! They is much near family of Belgium. Queen Fabiola is like more mother or aunt to royal family!!!! Prince Amedeo is smile and young man,he is more photo royal family 2006!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Fabiola is one of the best older Lady which I know (not personaly)

How are her relationships with Mathilde? On official photos both ladies looks like very good friends.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Belgium Royals Receive Sonia Gandhi At The Laeken Castle

Pictures:
King Albert, Queen Paola and Sonia Gandhi
Queen Paola and Sonia Gandhi
Queen Paola, Princess Mathilde and Minister Karel De Gucht

More pictures here.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Aristocracy

link (belga.be) :http://picture.belga.be/cgi-bin/belg...es/162269.html

Tags
belgian royal family, crown prince phillipe, crown princess mathilde, king albert ii, queen paola