Queen Fabiola News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful romantic photos at the ball of the military cadets in 1961, where Baudouin's half brother prince Alexandre was as a soldier. (soir illustré)

I have come to know about Queen Fabiola only in the past couple of years. For those of you who have known about her and, perhaps, knew of her when she was the reigning Queen with King Baudoin, what do you know of her? What is she like? What does she enjoy? What role does she play in the family and what are her relations with the various family members - at least to the extent that we can know those? She seems a very key figure in the lives of Astrid and Philippe -- can you say more about that and about her relations with Paola and Albert?

Found this on the Belgian Royal Family Website:

15/02/2006

Koningin Fabiola meldt met droefheid het overlijden, op 11 februari 2006 te Madrid van haar zuster Doña Ana Maria de Mora y de Aragón, Hertogin van Lécera.
Koningin Fabiola was aanwezig bij de begrafenis, die op 12 februari doorging.

In English basic: Queen Fabiola's sister, Doña Ana Maria de Mora y de Aragón, Duchess(?) of Lécera died 11 February 2006, and the funeral was 12 February. Queen Fabiola was present.

How sad. How old was Queen Fabiola's sister, was she younger or older? Queen Fabiola was one of seven children, how many of her siblings are still alive? Is she the only one left?

What an elegant, chic and Regal Queen! I was admired Queen Fabiola for the love she demonstrated for her husband, the King. The Queen seemed (and seems) to be very happy in serving Belgium. She is the best model to be followed by the new Crown Princesses, imo.

Thank you, Cathérine, for the great pics you posted!

Last edited:
Hi!
Can anyone tell me why Queen Fabiola is still queen? How can a country have two queens, Paola and Fabiola? How do people make the difference (as in Great Britain: Queen and Queen Mother)?
Thank you!
Alejandro

Paola is the wife of a reigning king, Fabiola (obviously) isn't. In Belgium a queen keeps her title when her husband (the king) dies, even though her role changes.

When Albert I died in 1934, his wife queen Elisabeth kept her title untill her death in 1965, during the reign of her grandson.

The Engagement and the Spanish Family

Goodday all!

If I might ask the 'experts';) : anybody knows how Queen Fabiola's family reacted to the news that she was to marry the Belgian King? From what I read, I know that Ex-King Leopold and Princess Liliane didn't know about the engagement until the very last minute - and they were not best pleased. I was wondering how the news was received in Spain by Queen Fabiola's mother and siblings? Did they know or was it just such a surprise for them? Anybody that knows?

Thanks.:)

Emily said:
I have come to know about Queen Fabiola only in the past couple of years. For those of you who have known about her and, perhaps, knew of her when she was the reigning Queen with King Baudoin, what do you know of her? What is she like? What does she enjoy? What role does she play in the family and what are her relations with the various family members - at least to the extent that we can know those? She seems a very key figure in the lives of Astrid and Philippe -- can you say more about that and about her relations with Paola and Albert?
Hi!
My mother (and some of those magazines like Hola) say she wasn't very close with Paola. They were far too different (says my mother) There were jealousies because one had three children and the other didn't (say the magazines).
In this forum they say she doesn't get on well with Laurent and that he calls her a "witch". I don't know why. But she gets on better with Laurent's wife.
And that she is extremely important for Phillip to be the next king. Apparently she backs him up and her opinion is very important.
I think she must enjoy flowers very much. On TV I always see people handing her bunches of flowers. Bouquets, according to my mother.
Hope this helps.
Take care!
Alejandro

Last edited:
Cathérine Bergeyck said:
Paola is the wife of a reigning king, Fabiola (obviously) isn't. In Belgium a queen keeps her title when her husband (the king) dies, even though her role changes.

When Albert I died in 1934, his wife queen Elisabeth kept her title untill her death in 1965, during the reign of her grandson.
Good, thank you! I think it's a great idea. In other countries, former queens seem to 'disappear'. LOL
Alejandro

that is interesting. so in the UK, we had the Queen Mother but what if she had not had children like fabiola? so her child was not the next monarch. would she be the queen dowager? (the queen aunt sounds a bit weird...)

Queen Fabiola (R) attends Pope Benedict XVI's weekly general audience in Saint Peter's Square at the Vatican April 12, 2006

from yahoo/reuters and getty

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 764
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Did Her Majesty meet His Holiness whilst she was there?

Health?

Please tell me I am mistaken, but is Queen Fabiola wearing some sort of neck brace?:confused:

I think that he did meet with her privately. I doubt she'd sit with everyone else at a general audience and he'd know she was there so I'm sure she did meet with the Pope.

More from getty

Attachments

• 57326650.jpg
    57326650.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 57326651.jpg
    57326651.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 57326652.jpg
    57326652.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 57326653.jpg
    57326653.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 57326654.jpg
    57326654.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 278
  • 57326927.jpg
    57326927.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 257
Yes, the whole Royal Family, the King Albert II, the Queen Paola, the Queen Fabiola and also the Prince Philippe, the Princess Mathilde, the Princess Astrid and his husband (I don't know if the Prince Laurent also) were at the private audience of the Pope. Quite unusual because it's rare to see the whole royal family to the Vatican! :)
Source Point de Vue this week

le_ptit_diablotin said:
Yes, the whole Royal Family, the King Albert II, the Queen Paola, the Queen Fabiola and also the Prince Philippe, the Princess Mathilde, the Princess Astrid and his husband (I don't know if the Prince Laurent also) were at the private audience of the Pope. Quite unusual because it's rare to see the whole royal family to the Vatican! :)
Source Point de Vue this week

Queen Fabiola wasn't at the visit to the Vatican on 1st of April, where the king, the queen, Philippe, Astrid and their families were present.

Queen Fabiola was at the Vatican today and also had a private audience with the pope.

Her Majesty is wearing a neck brace. I wonder why. Poor Fabiola.

She must have had some accident, poor Fabiola, that perhaps the reason why she wasn't meeting the pope with the other family members

Time to close the thread, thanks to everyone who participated in the thread. The new thread can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom