King Albert II and Queen Paola, Current Events; Part 3 (Aug. 2010 - July 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:Thanks for those pictures, iceflower and Marika86!
The mosaic portrait of Queen Paola was a fabulous idea i.m.o. Picture details
:cool: -but it's a pity that we didn't see a congenerous portrait of the king as well. At least the visitors' book featured pictures of the two: Picture details

Thanks for the photo Lina RdC, beautiful detail!
I love this couple... :)
I agree with Stephanievl, is sad to see the protests... but is freedom of expression. I think it was smart the fact that there has been no arrests.
And I have to say that the Queen still has a wonderful presence :)

Last edited:

King Albert and Defence Minister Pieter De Crem (CD&V Flemish christian democrats) pictured
during a visit of King Albert II at the military barracks of Beverlo in Leopoldsburg, Tuesday 22
March 2011. New training technics of the Belgian armed forces and a briefing about the
completion of the Transformation plan of Defense.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga gallery **

Last edited:

On Monday, April 4, 2011, King Albert received the members of the Conference
of chairmen of European Parliaments at the Royal Palace in Brussels.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

Last edited:

Queen Paola visited the exhibition "The Time that Remains" by David Claerbout
at the WIELS Centre for Contemporary Art in Brussels today, April 13, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gallery ** belga gallery **

Last edited:
Although understandable, not the mot clever move, PR wise, at the moment. The Bishoprics in belgium can not cope with the amount of people who want to cease their membership. belgium is caught up in a major controvercy around former bisshop Vangheluwe, who confessed several times on tv that he abused his nephews. And to make matters worse, the man doesn'tr see any problems in it, and the RC church is protecting him still.

Fortunately the PM is also coming, so the king won't be taking the blame alone.

Koning en premier gaan naar Vaticaan - Binnenland - De Morgen

Hopefully the Vatican will distance itself more openly from Vangheluwe soon, as the prime minister expects.

Last edited:
I saw a guests list for the wedding of Prince William and Kate, the king and queen will not be there? I just saw the name of Philip and Mathilde... Anyone know why?

:previous:maria-olivia suggested in another thread that the royal couple has to take care about their health (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-rome-on-01-may-2011-a-30700.html#post1239086)which seems quite plausible with regard to King Albert but less probable concerning Queen Paola i.m.o.. As far as I know, she never suffered from any serious health problems and appears exquisitely fit for a woman of her age. Of course, I might be somewhat misjudging her condition...
In any case, attending a wedding without one's spouse wouldn't be really romantic, would it;)?

Although understandable, not the mot clever move, PR wise, at the moment [...] Fortunately the PM is also coming, so the king won't be taking the blame alone.

Yves Leterme has indeed been criticized for his decision to accompany King Albert and Queen Paola to the beatification ceremony of Pope John Paul II on May 1st -mainly by the "centre d'action laique" whose members consider Mr. Leterme's move as completely inappropriate when tied to his official political function as Belgium's Prime Minister. It was also mentioned that the latter only complied with King Albert's request and didn't want to comment on this matter...Yves Leterme accompagnera Albert II à Rome pour la béatification de Jean-Paul II - - RTL Info

Last edited:
Due to our Constitution the Prime Minister has to go with the King to Rome Yves Leterme said this evening on TV.
I am sad about the non-catholic's Reaction !
To Lina RdC whose threads about my Queen are always appropriate, we never saw Queen Paola with the Crown Princes like the Queen of Spain is doing.
Why??

:previous:

Thanks, Lina RdC! :)
Yes indeed, I would not like to see the Queen at the wedding alone... but I must confess that for me is not the same thing, seeing the wedding without them present :ermm:

Good question, maria-olivia! I also feel sorry not to see more often the queen and the princesses together, and with the grandchildren... Why not a visit with the Queen Paola and Elizabeth together? I wonder if there is complicity between them...

Good question, maria-olivia! I also feel sorry not to see more often the queen and the princesses together, and with the grandchildren... Why not a visit with the Queen Paola and Elizabeth together? I wonder if there is complicity between them...

I don't think there is a complicity between them, I think there agenda's don't allow many activities together. And then both have diffrent areas of work.

We see princess Elisabeth rarely doing an official activity (besides the photoshoots and unofficial events). I have the impression they want to keep her out of the picture and give her a 'normal' education where possible. When Elisabeth is older she will have more official event and then it would be nice seeing her doing this with the queen.

The other grandchildern we only see a few times a year when there is a photo shoot, an event with the entire royal family, somethimes a christmas concert and during the national day.

I have taken a look in activities of the queen with her grandchilden, I only found a few:

- 2003 Table Tennis match Belgium vs Czech Republic with princess Louisa Maria and Prince Joachim. Pic 1 - Pic 2
- 2006 - Panamarenko exhibition at the Fine Arts Museum of Brussels together with prince Joachim. Pic 1 - Pic 2
-2007 - Reception birthday queen Paola together with Princess Louise Maria, Princess Letitia and princess Louise (other memebers family where also present except princess Astrid and prince Lorenz) Pic1 - Pic2
- 2008 - Opening of the exposition 'Science and Culture in the Palace' together with pricess Elisabeth (and prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde- Pic 1 - Pic 2
- 2009 - Visit to the Bouglione Circus together with Princess Laetitia Maria,Princess Louise, Prince Nicolas and Prince Aymeric (and princess Claire and princess Astird) Pic 1 - Pic 2

Stehanievl
I think there is no complicity between the Queen and the Dukes of Brabant as for their Children. In your list not even once a year!
There is complicity between the Queen and Princess Claire and her children.(Libramont ?)

Thank you for your answer, Stephanievl.
About what maria-olivia said, well, I have to agree with her. At least that is what it seems...

She had more public activities with the childern of pricess Astrid which is normal since these kids are much older.

She is only seen once with the childern of pricess Claire during an official event and that was when they went to the circus. There where also picture taken of them during a horse event but that was a private event, for sure she also plans trips with the childern of Philiipe and Mathilde.

maria-olivia suggested in another thread that the royal couple has to take care about their health (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-rome-on-01-may-2011-a-30700.html#post1239086)which seems quite plausible with regard to King Albert but less probable concerning Queen Paola i.m.o.. As far as I know, she never suffered from any serious health problems and appears exquisitely fit for a woman of her age. Of course, I might be somewhat misjudging her condition...
In any case, attending a wedding without one's spouse wouldn't be really romantic, would it;)?
Putting an end to speculations, here is the true reason why Queen Paola couldn't have been present at the wedding in Great Britain alongside Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde: the queen had already traveled to Alba in Italy in order to attend the funeral of Pietro Ferrero on April 27, 2011 Het Nieuwsblad - Koningin Paola woont begrafenis Ferrero-baas bij.Hence she certainly stayed in her native country until the beatification ceremony of Pope John Paul II in Rome on May 1st, 2011.

After attending the beatification ceremony of Pope John Paul II at the Vatican on May 1st, 2011, King Albert and Queen Paola went on a short vacation for about a week in order to visit the famous national park and pretty villages in the Abruzzi but also L'Aquila (an Italian city devastated by an earthquake in 2009): Archives
One further article: Albert II et Paola se reposent en Italie - L'Avenir

Additional information from the Italian press :): Alberto e Paola di Belgio in visita al Parco D'Abruzzo | Il Centro (May 5, 2011)
Gita nel Parco dei reali del Belgio | Il Centro (May 6, 2011)
Alberto e Paola del Belgio in visita privata all'Aquila | Il Centro (May 7, 2011)
Un caffè all'Aquila per i reali del Belgio Alberto II e Paola di Liegi | Il Centro (May 8, 2011)

Last edited:

King Albert and Queen Paola attended the official opening of the new port museum in Antwerp
(MAS - Museum aan de Stroom) on May 17, 2011. MAS gathers ethnological, maritime and art
history collections from Antwerp and the world.

** Pic ** belga gallery ** isopix ** gettyimages/zimbio **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom