King Albert II and Queen Paola, Current Events; Part 3 (Aug. 2010 - July 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: We've already seen that particular gesture here: pictures_Olivier_Polet_040.JPG | Olivier Polet
I daresay Queen Paola has a weakness for her husband's characteristic nose, at least from an artistic point of view. Her respective expertise is well-known :D.

Oh, it's true! Thanks for sharing the pic. I loved you're explanation:lol: She really has an issue with his nose:p

Queen Paola today, December 13, attended a commemoration for the victims of the shooting and grenades attack by Nordine Amrani one year after the attack at the Place Saint-Lambert, in the center of Liege.

** belga gallery **

** lavenir.net gallery: Fusillade à Liège, un an après: journée du souvenir (direct) **

** rtbf.be gallery: Liège: plusieurs centaines de personnes ont rendu hommage aux victimes de la tuerie **

And King Albert today attended the colloquim 'Beter Samen Leven - Mieux Vivre Ensemble' (A better life together) on the occasion of 10 years of the right on social integration in Brussels.

** belga gallery **

** knack.be: Tien jaar recht op maatschappelijke integratie brengt niet iedereen in feeststemming ** translation **

Last edited:
The speech by the King has now hit the Danish media, which is why I've learned about it.

I understand there has been some controversy over the speech.
Perhaps someone can enlighten us, please? Without of course taking sides politically.

How much of a row is this really?
How about the people, is this an issue at all to the man on the street?
Has it happened before that King Albert has let out politically controversial remarks?
Could the King influence the general political opinion significantly anyway?
Will an attack or severe critisism by politicians backfire?

The speech by the King has now hit the Danish media, which is why I've learned about it.

I understand there has been some controversy over the speech.
Perhaps someone can enlighten us, please? Without of course taking sides politically.

How much of a row is this really?
How about the people, is this an issue at all to the man on the street?
Has it happened before that King Albert has let out politically controversial remarks?
Could the King influence the general political opinion significantly anyway?
Will an attack or severe critisism by politicians backfire?

I found this on the BBC

BBC News - Belgium King Albert II Christmas speech sparks controversy

I am not sure the appropriate place to pose this question.. I have read the King and Queen reconciled in the mid-late 70s but also the 80s....does anyone know when in fact they did reconcile and was a big deal made about it in the press? Or did they just start appearing together more frequently? I am just curious because they are so loving and affectionate with each other now, I just cannot imagine the alternative. I looked through some of the other threads to see if this was discussed already but didn't see anything...apologies if I missed it

I am not sure the appropriate place to pose this question.. I have read the King and Queen reconciled in the mid-late 70s but also the 80s....does anyone know when in fact they did reconcile and was a big deal made about it in the press? Or did they just start appearing together more frequently? I am just curious because they are so loving and affectionate with each other now, I just cannot imagine the alternative. I looked through some of the other threads to see if this was discussed already but didn't see anything...apologies if I missed it

AFAIK the fact that they almost divorced in the 1960's was unknown until publications in the last decade mentioned it ( among others by his daughter Delphine Boel)... it certainly wasn't known at the time that their marriage crisis was that severe..

Thanks Lee-Z. Times are certainly different (1960's vs today) regarding how informattion is leaked/disseminated to the public. I had not realized they were actually separated for many many years.
Its so nice to see them together, so loving and affectionate. I love a happy ending :)

Today, King Albert and Queen Paola received on the occasion of the New Year at the Royal Palace of Brussels: the President and Vice-presidents of the European Parliament, the President of the European Council, the President, Vice- presidents and Members of the European Commission, Permanent Representatives, associated Permanent Representatives, Representatives attached to the Political and Safety Committee, Representatives attached to the Military Committee of the European Union and Chiefs of Mission accredited by the European Commission, as well as Representatives of the Economic and Social Committee and Committee of the Regions.
Picture gallery APA-PictureDesk

Thank you, iceflower! Her Majesty leaving that "e-safety cube" to enter the Child Focus quarters was a very nice scene: http://imageshack.us/a/img841/2535/160367915.jpg I'm yearning for a computer program which makes the real Paola jump out of my desktop ;). As always when surrounded by children, she beamed happily, glancing at them attentively and lovingly as if they were her own grandchildren :heart1:.

Last edited:
Last edited:

King Albert has hosted a reception for the Dutch Queen's commissioners and the governors of the Belgian provinces at the Royal Castle in Laken on February 21:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **

On February 28, 2013 Queen Paola visited the Jan Fabre exhibition at the Museum für Zeitgenössische Kunst -ikob/Musée d'Art Contemporain (which celebrates its 20th anniversary) in Eupen:
http://www.profimedia.cz/fotografie/news-feb-28-2013/profimedia-0154716126.jpg; http://www.profimedia.cz/fotografie/news-feb-28-2013/profimedia-0154716654.jpg; http://www.profimedia.cz/fotografie/news-feb-28-2013/profimedia-0154716162.jpg
BelgaPicture - Category details
I guess that she had plenty of fun determining which one of the little paper queens resembles her the most ;).

Last edited:
I love the pictures of Queen Paola with the children. She seems like such a happy grandma with them!

Last edited:
On February 20, 2013 King Albert and Queen Paola visited the exhibition called "Hospital of the Queen, Red Cross, the Ocean and De Panne, 1914-1918" at the culture center "De Scharbiellie" in De Panne:
I've found additional pictures without watermarks:
Hospitaal vd Koningin - a set on Flickr; Koninklijk bezoek (I) | Westhoek.be; Bezoek van het koningspaar (II) | Westhoek.be (galleries)
http://imageshack.us/a/img838/8391/artikelbild1aspxhtml.jpg; http://imageshack.us/a/img837/2427/artikelbildaspxhtml.jpg

Belgian new Minister of Finance Koen Geens took the oath of office in presence of King Albert and Belgian Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo in Laeken-Laken, Brussels, on March 5, 2013. Koen Geens, a university professor, replaces Steven Vanackere who had stepped down unexpectedly as finance minister.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom