Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde: October 2004 - December 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mathilde's speeches at the launch of the year of the micrcredit at the UN

New York, 2004-11-17
Gala evening - UNDP

Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It gives me immense pleasure to celebrate with you this first official event of the International Year of Micro credit.

As a member of the Emissaries Group, I am proud to be part of such an innovative and stimulating initiative. This is no ordinary International Year at the United Nations. This Year is bold and ambitious – like microfinance itself. The presence of so much talent in this room shows the broad support for the cause of microfinance. We will need your support. We will in fact need all the support we can get to help enterprising people in the developing world make their ambitions come true.

We are here to celebrate the commitment, the dedication and, above all, the tremendous hard work of microfinance clients all over the world. We are here to commit ourselves to make a difference for these people who do have the willpower but who often lack the means to increase their prospects for a better future.

Putting the tools of microfinance in the hands of these micro-entrepreneurs will be critical to achieving the Millennium Development Goals. With your participation, this Year will be successful in expanding economic access for poor and low-income entrepreneurs. In doing so, we can do our part in boosting the eradication of poverty.

La pauvreté a trop souvent un visage féminin. Pourtant ce sont les femmes , moteurs de la famille, pleines de talents et d’innovation, qui ont largement recours aux services des Institutions de Microfinance. Cela non seulement afin d’accéder aux services financiers dont elles ont besoin, mais avant tout pour améliorer leur statut, leurs conditions de vie et celles de leurs enfants, en leur assurant une bonne éducation et un meilleur accès aux soins de santé.

L’impact social de la microfinance est très important. Son rôle en termes d’inclusion sociale et de renforcement de la société devrait être au centre de nos préoccupations. Notre attention pour les conséquences sociales du microcrédit devrait aller de pair avec nos efforts de pérennisation financière de cet instrument de développement.

The International Year is indeed a crucial starting point with a lot of commitment. But I do think it is also very important to continue our efforts beyond the Year 2005. Only a continuing process can lead to sustainable results. Let us work together to get there!

Merci de votre attention
Thank you.

New York, 2004-11-18

Launch of the international year of the microcredit.

Excellencies
Dear delegates,

I am delighted to be among you today to ring in the International Year of Microcredit. As a member of the Emissaries Group, I am pleased to support such a dynamic and ambitious undertaking. I fully adhere to our main goal : that of supporting poor and low income micro finance clients and entrepreneurs all over the world. I am keen to start straight away : indeed my first activity on behalf of the Year takes place as early as next week, when I will visit microfinance clients and talk to university students in China.

Microfinance is one of the most powerful tools for alleviating poverty. It helps poor households meet basic needs by increasing their assets and income. This in turn leads to substantial improvements in housing, healthcare and children’s education. By supporting women’s participation, microfinance promotes gender equality in the household. And microfinance is critical also to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals – especially the goal of reducing by half the number of people living in extreme poverty by 2015.

Yet, most people in developing countries do not have access to financial services. A key question we plan to address this Year is: why are so many poor people perceived as “unbankable?” The poor do not want charity, they want to be sustained in their own economic activities that generates increased earnings. The poor work tremendously hard ; micro-entrepreneurs are one of the most vibrant and energetic groups in the developing world. And they have proven time and again that with access to financial services, they build their businesses, repay their loans, will save money, and ultimately give a better life to their family and especially their children.

Tapping the entrepreneurial spirit of poor people is a crucial step in eradicating poverty. The task we have before us is to address the barriers to economic – and financial – participation for the poor. With the help of all of you in this room, we will use 2005 – the International Year of Microcredit – to promote those inclusive financial sectors that will allow the world’s micro entrepreneurs to meet their full potential as economic actors, and, above all, as human beings.

The International Year is indeed a crucial starting point with a lot of commitment. But I do think it is also very important to continue our efforts beyond the Year 2005. Only a continuing process can lead to sustainable results. Let us work together to get there! Thank you

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
He said that he didn't want Belgium to be destroyed.

It's a good thing he reacted against those fascists, something the Flemish government aparently doesn't have the guts to do.

Reactions from Flemish politicians aren't mild, but the francophone politicians and a lot of people in Flanders agree.
I am sure astrid is opus dei and I always associated the belgian royal family with extreme conservatism.
Is it possible that her brothers have different opinions or
is it just a pr manoeuvre.

There is absolutely no prove Astrid is a member of opus dei. If you accuse people, give proof please. "I'm sure...", yes that's much good to us.

There's not much conservative about the Belgian RF. Fabiola is, but the other members of the family are very normal, modern people.

This is just picking. If can't get your way, you start accusing people of something else. Very childish.

Last edited:
3rd December 2004

Prince Filip visited the firm UCB Pharma in Braine-l'Alleud. He was at a workmeeting on "research as the motor of the economic growth"; visited the research departments of the company and talked to the researchers and staff of UCB Pharma.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 520
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 548
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 04a.jpg
    04a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 511
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 199
Today Philippe and Mathilde have been married for exactly five years.

They said yes to each other (in two languages :)) on 4th December 1999 in Brussels.

Congrats to them! :):)

Hannelore said:
There is absolutely no prove Astrid is a member of opus dei. If you accuse people, give proof please. "I'm sure...", yes that's much good to us.

There's not much conservative about the Belgian RF. Fabiola is, but the other members of the family are very normal, modern people.

This is just picking. If can't get your way, you start accusing people of something else. Very childish.
astrid studied in leiden art history for about 6 months when I was there and she shared rooms with a dutch girl whose father is a well known opus dei member (he is a totally respectable member of society).

No accusing,
assuming is better word.

Catherine, does the Belgian court mark the occasion of a 5th or 10th etc. anniversary in any way? New photos?

Emily said:
Catherine, does the Belgian court mark the occasion of a 5th or 10th etc. anniversary in any way? New photos?
Not that I know of. But this year a very nice photobook appeared, called "Philippe, Mathilde, Elisabeth & Gabriel" by Olivier Polet. It full with new and gorgeous pictures of the couple and their little family.

You can see a number of those pics in the threads on Elisabeth and Gabriel.

Hi guys!

Does any of you know if it has been confirmed that Mathilde is coming to Denmark next week? If so, is there a schedule for the trip?
We read about it some time ago and were wondering if it's true 'cause then we'll do everything we can to see her :D

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
Not that I know of. But this year a very nice photobook appeared, called "Philippe, Mathilde, Elisabeth & Gabriel" by Olivier Polet. It full with new and gorgeous pictures of the couple and their little family.

Catherine, you are such a great resource! Thank you for the book suggestion.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
Today Philippe and Mathilde have been married for exactly five years.

They said yes to each other (in two languages :)) on 4th December 1999 in Brussels.

Congrats to them! :):)
Yes, indeed congratulations, happy anniversary, and the very best wishes for their future. :)

Cathérine Bergeyck said:

Cathérine, do you know if you can buy the book online and on an English website? I remember reading somewhere that it might be found on www.fnac.com, but that site's in French, and I don't understand the language, so I'm lost in terms of where to look and possibly how to order. Thanks.

If you go to http://www.vtm.be/nieuws/index_bekijkonline.htm then under Zaterdag 04/12 click either on 13u or 19u, and (if it works) there is a piece about Philippe and Mathilde's five years of marriage. It's (in my opinion) really worth watching and both of them actually, because the endings aren't quite the same, but they don't differ much from each other. :)

Thank you Mette, for the link! :)

The piece of Philippe & Mathilde is more or less 3/4 down the news. In the second news there's a bit of Philippe in China, there he said that they were going to celebrate their 5th anniversary together in private, that they were going somewhere. He had arranged something, a surprise for Mathilde.

About the book of Olivier Polet. I read in point de vue that it would be available at fnac.com, but I checked and they don't have it. There is an address of a bookshop in Paris where they have it, but I think that's not much use to you...

But in the book I found the address of the editor, if you can't find it on the web, maybe you can try there...

Philippe, Mathilde, Elisabeth & Gabriel
Olivier Polet & Marcel Leroy
Olivier Polet Photo Production
Rue Xavier Debue, 16
1180 Brussels

Good luck :)

BTW did you see this week's point de vue, with pictures from China? It were also pics from Polet and there's one from the gala dinner that is the most beautiful I've ever seen of her. He's a great photographer.

Last edited:
Mathilde's openingsspeech at the international conference on child abuse and neglect:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I must begin by saying how warmly I welcome the holding of a conference on “Child Abuse and Neglect”. I say this because “every child matters” and all efforts have to be made to ensure the well-being and welfare of children worldwide, and to create a safer environment for them all. The creation of Confidential Centres on Child Abuse and Neglect in Belgium since 1979 has not only drawn attention to this problem, but has also dealt with it in an organized and systematic manner.

I take a particular interest in the rights of the child and in the problems youngsters face today, because they are vulnerable human beings and yet at the same time important actors within our society. They have to be taken into account. We have to listen to them.
Someone has to speak up and try to make a difference. And it is here that you, as eminent experts from all over the world, have an important contribution to make, each of you in your own field of expertise. So let me add my own very warm welcome to all of you and wish you a successful conference.

Child abuse and neglect are pervasive and complex problems with many causes. The emotional debate has now been overtaken by an integrated multi-sectoral approach. Still, it is difficult to measure the prevalence of abuse in our society. Often accurate data is lacking as a taboo still exists on the subject, and many people are afraid of reporting child maltreatment. Further scientific research is needed, and that is where you come in.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is a fact, however, that the number of reports of child abuse and neglect are increasing even as social concern is growing over the issue.
Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a tragic event before consciousness is raised and the necessary measures are taken. Belgium is still recovering from the Dutroux trauma. Some very clear lessons emerged from that particular case.
Perhaps more time is needed to notice the positive developments that have occurred. For instance, incest figures are decreasing in those countries that have a long tradition in prevention and in intervening against sexual abuse.
So I believe that hope exists for future generations of children and adolescents. And we, adults, parents, teachers, field workers..., must create the right conditions and environment for this to continue.

I want to stress the importance of awareness raising and prevention. Effective prevention requires that both risk and protection be addressed simultaneously.
Preventing child abuse at all levels before it occurs seems very important to me. This requires attention and strategies within both society and the family. It is well-known that most child abuse takes place in the home and is perpetrated by individuals close to, and trusted by, the child. It is also well-known that parents who were abused as children are more likely than other parents to abuse their own children. Stopping this cycle at an early stage is essential. I think it is crucial to create a loving, caring and stimulating environment during the first years of a child’s life. Parents do have a unique role to play in educating their children. Sometimes they need help if they cannot cope with a difficult situation. Professional support should be available. Mothers, and above all fathers, should be more actively involved in the education of their child. Children place an unconditional belief and trust in their parents. Positive messages and examples should therefore be given. Children should never feel betrayed. The family should always be a safe haven.

Furthermore, I want to draw special attention to sexual abuse within the peer group. Young people of the same age are showing a lack of respect towards, and commit violence against, one another. Such abuse is unfortunately on the rise. Steps should be taken to stop this kind of abusive behaviour. I urge young people to deal with their problems through dialogue and not through violence.
Prevention campaigns in schools would be most useful.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Child abuse and neglect are delicate subjects to discuss as the risk of stigmatizing an individual or a family is high. In the coming days, you have a difficult task ahead of you in examining the multiple levels of child abuse ranging from biological and individual-level factors to societal level risks. As I pointed out before, every child is important and entitled to a decent life in a trustworthy environment.

The international Convention on the Rights of the Child that you probably all know, takes a holistic approach to the protection of the child. It should therefore be taken into account in developing policies in the field of child maltreatment. In this regard, your research and data are indispensable to support specific actions in favour of the child.

Substantial progress has been made in recent years. We should at the outset reject defeatist attitudes towards the problem and look instead for solutions involving the child.
Let us work together to make life a positive adventure for all children and adolescents.
I am convinced that we have a shared vision of where we want to go, and a commitment to work together to get there. Your presence here today is proof of that commitment .
You have my full support in your fight against child abuse and neglect.

I thank you.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
Thank you Mette, for the link! :)

The piece of Philippe & Mathilde is more or less 3/4 down the news. In the second news there's a bit of Philippe in China, there he said that they were going to celebrate their 5th anniversary together in private, that they were going somewhere. He had arranged something, a surprise for Mathilde.

About the book of Olivier Polet. I read in point de vue that it would be available at fnac.com, but I checked and they don't have it. There is an address of a bookshop in Paris where they have it, but I think that's not much use to you...

But in the book I found the address of the editor, if you can't find it on the web, maybe you can try there...

Philippe, Mathilde, Elisabeth & Gabriel
Olivier Polet & Marcel Leroy
Olivier Polet Photo Production
Rue Xavier Debue, 16
1180 Brussels

Good luck :)

BTW did you see this week's point de vue, with pictures from China? It were also pics from Polet and there's one from the gala dinner that is the most beautiful I've ever seen of her. He's a great photographer.
You're welcome Cathérine :), and thank you for letting me know what Philippe was saying in China - what a sweetheart he is. I can't get my loudspeakers connected to my computer :mad:, so I couldn't hear what was being said :(. Not that it would due me much good anyway seeing as I don't understand Flemish either :D.

Also thank you for the address :). If I can't find it on the web I might just try it, because I doubt the book will be on sale in Denmark :(.

I haven't seen the pictures from this week's Point de Vue, because I haven't found the magazine anywhere in the city I live in. Not that I've looked in every shop, but in the shop at the train station they have a big variety of magazines including HELLO, HOLA, and even Oprah Winfrey's magazine O, but no Point de Vue :(. But the pictures I've seen taken by Polet from the book are really great, and I'll definitely agree with you that he's a great photographer. :)

Catharine thanks also for the book reference. I checked Amazon yesterday and couldn't find it. Are you able, or is someone else, to post the pictures from Point de Vue or does that amount to copyright infringement? I'd love to see them but, at best, they might arrive here and probably only in January!

Mette2 said:
I'm sorry to be asking this (again) :eek:, but if it's not too much trouble could someone be so kind as to give me a summary of the text and of the three videos. I would really appreciate it. Thank you :).
Rode Loper is a flemish showbiz program. This episode was on their 5 year anniversary.

the first video: You see Louis Van Raek (editor of Story) telling how the press found out that Philippe had a relationship with Mathilde. A Belgian tourist had made a photo of them while they were on holiday in Cuba, and spread it to the the press. Because of that the official engagement came sooner than planned.
The girl (Sybille) talking, is a good friend of Mathilde. She didn't know about the news either. She said that Mathilde was planning to get together with all her friends to tell them the big news, but she didn't have the time because of the press leak. Sybille called Mathilde on her mobile to congratulate her.
Then you see Anne Quevrin (from a francophone royelty program, and good friend of Laurent&Claire) and Edouard Vermeulen (Natan) talking about the wedding day. Mathilde looked radiant, but at times also very tired. She said afterwards that her train weighed kilos and that it was a heavy job carrying it all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
the second video: About their travels abroad. Mathilde adds glamour to the economic missions, but also a humanitarian and cultural side that wasn't there before. At the first missions (like to New York) she was still a bit insecure and Philippe was very protective towards her. Since then she has become very independent.
Her most memorable travel was the Unicef Mission to Niger. They had to stay in very dirty hotels without any comfort, but Mathilde never complained about anything. She made the Belgian caravan stop unexpectedly at a hamlet in the desert to see how people really lived. This was very much appreciated in the Nigerian press.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys!

Does any of you know if it has been confirmed that Mathilde is coming to Denmark tomorrow? If so, is there a schedule for the trip?
We read about it some time ago and were wondering if it's true 'cause then we'll do everything we can to see her :D

DKgirls said:
Hi guys!

Does any of you know if it has been confirmed that Mathilde is coming to Denmark tomorrow? If so, is there a schedule for the trip?
She'll be in Denmark tomorrow, visiting the Supply Division of Unicef in Copenhagen.

That's what's announced at the site of the Belgian Monarchy. No further details.

Brussels, Belgium. Price giving ceremony in the royal palace in Brussels. Today, Princess Mathilde of Belgium distributes the "Princess Mathilde award". For the fourth time the award is organized by the "Princess Mathilde Foundation". This years theme was "women in the hart o the multicultural society". The price was awarded to the Brussels' organization called "FLORA asbl-vzw".

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 210
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 438
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 406
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
more (vanparys)

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 702
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 404
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
saw a tv programme yesterday re them, liked the moment when the interviewer asked philippe whether he minded that some people thought he was a houten claas (a wooden puppet) and he answered in a french accent "nobody is perfect". It's brilliant motto. Will use it constantly when I tend to critisize myself or others.

& liked his interest in 18th century french philosophy and the ancient greeks and romans.
&

at the risk of sending one of the fans of mathilde in hysterics, she really can not bake a cake, the one she made for her daughter at her first birthday was pathetic. Maybe besides piano lessons she can take a cordon bleu course. It probably is too middle class to have something delicious and beautiful from a patissier in brussels: the cake was baked with love and that is all that matters.

What do they mean by he is a wooden puppet? That he is emotionless, or that he just goes along with whatever he is told, or something else? I'm just curious as to what is meant by that comment.

Hannelore said:
She'll be in Denmark tomorrow, visiting the Supply Division of Unicef in Copenhagen.

That's what's announced at the site of the Belgian Monarchy. No further details.
Uh-oh....we'll have to search for informations then :D Would just love to see her now that she's here!!!!

susanstotz said:
saw a tv programme yesterday re them, liked the moment when the interviewer asked philippe whether he minded that some people thought he was a houten claas (a wooden puppet) and he answered in a french accent "nobody is perfect". It's brilliant motto. Will use it constantly when I tend to critisize myself or others.

Lol. I use that motto all the time

Gabriella said:
What do they mean by he is a wooden puppet? That he is emotionless, or that he just goes along with whatever he is told, or something else? I'm just curious as to what is meant by that comment.
In the documentary he said himself (no-one asked) that he knew people sometimes criticize him for being rather stiff (i.e.the way he moves and walks, rather hesitant and rigid). He said that these comments don't offend him, that he's willing to learn from criticism, but hey, nobody's perfect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom