The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you so much for all of those lovely pictures, they were all awesome!!!
They really look like a very happy family :)

Old 09-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martine
yeh they are really a beautiful family :-) I love this kind of pics, like the ones of Phillip playing with Elisabeth...It shows who he really is...i think Phillip is still misunderstood sometimes, it's a shame cause i think he's a really nice and honnest man
Oh I completely agree with you. He's not only a wonderful husband and father, but also a very charming and intelligent man, very modest as well.

I often have the feeling that people who try to paint him off as an idiot are people who hate Belgium, and would rather live in an independant Flemish state (or anything else of course).

It's like Philippe once said himself in an interview (about a language issue): "people who pretend Mathilde and I don't speak Dutch, are people who hate our country."

Old 09-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Courtier

Thank you very much for the wonderful pictures of a very lovely and beautiful family. :)

Not being Belgian myself I don't know that much about the Royal Family or Belgium itself (so my opinion might not count for much), but from the few things I've read about Philippe on the internet it seems to me that he has all the qualities to make a great king. I'm quite sure he'll prove everyone who doubts him wrong. :)

Yes, you Belgians are indeed lucky. :)
Old 09-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Royal Highness

Great photos! They really are a beautiful family, aren't they? I especially love the one of Elisabeth sitting in Philippe's lap at his desk and the one of Mathilde sort of laying down holding Elisabeth in her arms. Adorable.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you so much Martine for scanning all the photos; they are much appreciated.

More and more I think Gabriel also resembles Phillippe, and not just Elisabeth -- who is the spitting image of her father! Although I can see touches of Astrid/Amedeo in Gabriel, too.

I love more casual, non-posed feel of these pictures. My favourite from the series has to be the one of Elisabeth with Mathilde on the porch chair.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Majesty

Beautiful pictures Martine. Thanks for sharing. Philippe and Mathilde should be very proud of their two lovely children.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

These pictures are part of a book on Philippe and Mathilde, with many more pictures in it:

"Philippe et Mathilde"
Olivier Polet & Marcel Leroy
Polet Photo Productions

140 pages, 44 €.

You should be able to find it at fnac.com (if not now, then certainly in a while).
Old 09-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Nobility

These are beautiful photos!! I just love the one wirh Elisabeth and Mathilde on the chair!! It is so cute! They form such a nice family...
Old 09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

The duchess of Brabant will preside a Belgian mission to Mali next month, from 18-20 October 2004.

It will be a humanitarian mission, with attention for elementary education and health care,especially when it comes to women and children.

There will also be contacts with traditional chefs and representatnts of minorities. In February of this year Mathilde already presided a humanitarian mission to Niger, as a Unicef amabassador. It focused on the health and education for young girls/women.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore
Oh I completely agree with you. He's not only a wonderful husband and father, but also a very charming and intelligent man, very modest as well.

I often have the feeling that people who try to paint him off as an idiot are people who hate Belgium, and would rather live in an independant Flemish state (or anything else of course).

It's like Philippe once said himself in an interview (about a language issue): "people who pretend Mathilde and I don't speak Dutch, are people who hate our country."
yeh you are right about it. remember that day when he got something (i think it was a degree in something) at the university in Leuven? i though that was really sad...:(
I personally think a flemish state wouldn't work. (and organizing the olympics will certainly not work (ok this O.T) )
I think the royal family does a great job for our country. There are a lot of people who only now Belgium because of the royal family...
To me there's no doubt that Phillip will be a good king!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Serene Highness

i'm glad you all liked the pics :-) !!! I have some more pics to add tomorrow...
Old 09-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for your effort Martine :)

I agree Philippe will be a wonderful king. I'm also convinced most people (of all Belgians, no matter their language) do apreciate Philippe. Even people who make a joke now and then.

It's mostly certain politicians who would like to have more power themselves that try to blacken the royal family: saying Philippe is an idiot, Mathilde doesn't speak Dutch, Paola and Laurent are stupid, church has too much influence at court, Baudouin was a sad man who lived as a monk...

I don't believe all that, and there's plenty that prooves the opposite. And our royal family is very loved by the Belgians I think! :)
Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Philippe at the birthday party of his cousins Marie-Astrid & Carl Christian of Austria, in July. Mathilde was there as well of course (see section on her gala dresses).
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Philippe & Mathilde will preside an economic mission to china, starting on 20th November 2004.

They have already been on an EM to China in 2000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chine00.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	42444   Click image for larger version

Name:	chine01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	42445  
Old 09-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
Philippe & Mathilde will preside an economic mission to china, starting on 20th November 2004.

They have already been on an EM to China in 2000
That wasn't really an EM to China, but more specificly to Hong Kong, wasn't it??
Old 09-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Friday 24 September 2004, Leuven, Princess Mathilde attends an academic session on the occasion of the 25th annivrsary of Federatie Pleegzorg in Vlaanderen (foster care Flanders), and hands out the Oswald Prize.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	42476   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	42477   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	42478   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	42479  

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	42480   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	42481   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	42482   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	42483  

Old 09-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelka
That wasn't really an EM to China, but more specificly to Hong Kong, wasn't it??
Isn't Hongkong a part of China??
Old 09-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore
Isn't Hongkong a part of China??
Yes, but I mean that for example visiting Paris is not the same as visiting France, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I understand, but on an EM they will always be visiting big cities (business centers...).
Old 09-25-2004, 02:41 AM
Nobility

Nice pics!! Althgough Mathilde looks bored in some of them...

Tags
crown prince phillipe, crown princess mathilde, current events, duchess of brabant, duke of brabant, mathilde, phillipe