Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde: Current News Part 9

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pictures from AAP Image and Newscom.

November 24th:

1+2) Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula de Silva meets with Philippe at Panalto Palace in Brazilia.

November 25th:

3+4) Jose Sergio Gabrielli, president of state oil company Petrobras, meets Philippe at the Petrobras office in Rio de Janeiro.

5) Philippe smiles as he leaves at Petrobras office in Rio de Janeiro.

Attachments

• rtrlive128450.jpeg
    rtrlive128450.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 308
  • rtrlive129195.jpeg
    rtrlive129195.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 351
  • rtrlive129194.jpeg
    rtrlive129194.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 363
  • rtrlive129200.jpeg
    rtrlive129200.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 325
  • 0,470.jpeg
    0,470.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 421
Photos from Mathilde & Filip at the baptism of Alexia of Holland, Mathilde's first royal godchild. Pics from getty, bruno, royalimages, newscom, fotomarktplatz.

On December 6, 2005 princess Mathilde will hand out the prize that bears her name.

This year the theme was "Women in economy : the strength to color society". the winner is Crédal from Louvain-la-Neuve for her initiative "bussineswomen - women's business", a project of alternative creditinvestment.

Princess Mathilde is present to receive president Toumani of Mali.

Pics from picturedesk

Attachments

• 6663622.jpeg
    6663622.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 388
  • 6663623.jpeg
    6663623.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 428
  • 6663688.jpeg
    6663688.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 392
  • 6663690.jpeg
    6663690.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 495
Pictures from Newscom.

Economic mission to Brazil November 19th-26th.

While in Brazil Philippe took time off to take in some culture and sightseeing in Rio De Janeiro.

Attachments

• zexclusive001680.jpeg
    zexclusive001680.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 370
  • zexclusive001686.jpeg
    zexclusive001686.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 407
  • zexclusive001685.jpeg
    zexclusive001685.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 337
  • zexclusive001684.jpeg
    zexclusive001684.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 328
  • zexclusive001683.jpeg
    zexclusive001683.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 306
  • zexclusive001682.jpeg
    zexclusive001682.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 329
  • zexclusive001681.jpeg
    zexclusive001681.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 356
  • zexclusive001679.jpeg
    zexclusive001679.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 349
  • zexclusive001678.jpeg
    zexclusive001678.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 266
  • zexclusive001677.jpeg
    zexclusive001677.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 437
Mette2 said:
Pictures from Newscom.

Economic mission to Brazil November 19th-26th.

While in Brazil Philippe took time off to take in some culture and sightseeing in Rio De Janeiro.

Pictures also from Picturedesk/contrast.

More pictures.

Attachments

• 6723563.jpg
    6723563.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 6723561.jpg
    6723561.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 6723575.jpg
    6723575.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 350
  • 6723574.jpg
    6723574.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 383
  • 6723572.jpg
    6723572.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 385
  • 6723565.jpg
    6723565.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 407
  • 6723564.jpg
    6723564.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 375
  • zexclusive001688.jpeg
    zexclusive001688.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 288
  • zexclusive001687.jpeg
    zexclusive001687.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 356
  • 6723567.jpg
    6723567.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 388
Thanks, Hannelore & Mette2!
i was looking for more pics from both events..
philippe's trip to brazil seem to go unnoticed as opposed to maxima's (that still goes on today)

purple_platinum said:
philippe's trip to brazil seem to go unnoticed as opposed to maxima's (that still goes on today)

You're welcome purple_platinum.:) As martha-louise pointed out in 'Current News Part 8' the reason why there aren't a lot of pictures from Philippe's trip to Brazil, might be because he was attending a lot of meetings behind closed doors. I had also hoped for more pictures from his trip, and was then really happy when there finally were some more. Still wish there were more though.:D
Sorry I don't know what Maxima is in Brazil for,:eek: but if the visit is not of the same nature as Philippe's, then that might be a reason why there are more pictures of Maxima's visit. Maybe there are also more pictures from her visit, because the photographers think she's more interesting to take pictures of than Philippe.:D But I like looking at pictures of Philippe, and the more the merrier. I also think he looks really good in these pictures.:)

Thank you for posting these pictures Mette2. I really enjoyed them. And yes they took some good shots of the prince. He seemed very relaxed, oh it would have been so beautiful together with Mathilde. But I like these anyway, as they came as a surprise. :)

purple_platinum said:

Unnoticed at this forum yes, but Maxima will always be more glamorous than Filip, even if she was wearing her pyjamas ;):)

If Mathilde doesn't accompany Filip on economic missions there's a part of the mission that is lost for us (on this forum I mean). Mathilde adds the socio-cultural part, which is always nicer to watch than the dry economic business side Filip is involved in and knows very much about. So that's why we have a lot less pics than if she goes with him. The business side is Filip's branch. Of course there's some minister or other-important-person now taking care of the socio-economic side, but we won't be posting pics of that hey?

This Belgian delegation will surely be getting all the atention it deserves in the business life of Brazil. The reasons they are there are a diplomatic one (strengthening the ties and good understanding between the 2 countries) and an economic one (introduction of Belgian companies in Brazil, new contracts being signed and thus "selling" Belgium over there and creating new jobs over here in Belgium). So you see, not very glamorous (or interesting for the photographs) without Mathilde stealing the show in beautiful gala dresses, but yet a very usefull trip.

martha-louise said:
Thank you for posting these pictures Mette2. I really enjoyed them. And yes they took some good shots of the prince. He seemed very relaxed, oh it would have been so beautiful together with Mathilde. But I like these anyway, as they came as a surprise. :)

You're welcome martha-louise.:) I think he looks very relaxed in these pictures too, and I agree that the pictures would have been beautiful if Mathilde had been in the them as well. However, I don't think we'll ever be short of pictures with both Philippe and Mathilde in them.;):) It's always nice to be pleasantly surprised.:)

That good tomorrow we go to see the princess Mathilde again!!!!:) :)

Any news/photos on the Duchess of Brabant presenting the Princess Mathilde prize to Credal?

Emily said:
Any news/photos on the Duchess of Brabant presenting the Princess Mathilde prize to Credal?

I haven't found any pictures at some of the photo agencies I've looked at (Getty Images, picturedesk/contrast, Seegerpress), which I think is really strange, since there have been many pictures the other years she's handed out her award. Hopefully there'll be some pictures soon. I did find a very, very short clip on the news from the event.

Go to:
http://www.vtm.be/nieuws/index_bekijkonline.htm
-> Dinsdag 06/12 -> 13u -> 21.44 minutes into the news.

Hope it works.:)

Here are some pictures from Face to Face

Attachments

• 00820086.jpg
    00820086.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 00820085.jpg
    00820085.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 00820084.jpg
    00820084.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 00820082.jpg
    00820082.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 384
  • 00820081.jpg
    00820081.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 504
Lovely photos, and lovely to see! :) She looks absolutley radiant and elegant!;)

selminha said:
Lovely photos, and lovely to see! :) She looks absolutley radiant and elegant!;)

I think the same. Thank you so much for the lovely photos, Larzen and for the news link, Mette2.

Mathilde looks soooo lovely and happy !

Thank you very much for the pictures Larzen.:) I'm so happy you were able to find some. Mathilde looks radiant in these pictures, and I really like her outfit. Wonderful pictures.:)
You're welcome Emily.:)

I think radiant is an excellent word to use to describe Mathilde in these photos (and at every public appearance she makes, IMO). Thank you Larzen for posting them. I can't wait to see more photos of Mathilde in the coming weeks. It seems like such a long time since I've seen her.

I belive so to, from Emporio Armani autumn/winter collection 05-06 (vogue)here in grey and white
http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=00910f0vn.jpg

She also wor Emporio Armani for the recent meeting with the President from Mali (getty/vogue)

Its really very strange there are not more pictures from this event:(

Last edited:
Prince Phillippe inauguration of a buste in honour of King Leopold and in the ASTRID MUSEUM

From anp and belga

Attachments

• 3259140.jpg
    3259140.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 3259146.jpg
    3259146.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 229
  • p3678137.jpg
    p3678137.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 637
  • p3678142.jpg
    p3678142.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 207
  • p3678484.jpg
    p3678484.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 224
  • p3678493.jpg
    p3678493.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 384
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
He inaugurated the bust in the Flemish town Leopoldsburg (Limburg) and afterwards he visited the Astrid Museum, also in the same town. This museum has nothing to do with official state museums, it's set up by a woman called Astrid Bammens in her home. Mme Bammens has had a lifelong fascination for queen Astrid and has changed her house into a real museum. She's of course a huge royal fan. This was the first time someone from the RF visited her, and she was of course delighted. Philippe especially took a look at all the pictures she had, and commented how impressive for Astrid it must have been when she arrived in Antwerp and the quays were black with the thousands of people coming to welcome her.

Mathilde's speech, at the presentation of her prize in Dutch

Dames en heren,

Ik ben ten zeerste verheugd dat de vzw CREDAL dit jaar de Prijs in ontvangst neemt van het Fonds dat mijn naam draagt.

Met het project “Vrouw-en-Zaken” helpt Crédal kansarme vrouwen hun eigen bedrijf op te starten. Dit gebeurt via een geïntegreerde en collectieve benadering, gekoppeld aan het gebruik van microkredieten. Met een kleine som geld als startkapitaal kunnen ze hun droom realiseren. De deelneemsters, zowel autochtone als allochtone vrouwen, zijn zeer enthousiast over de vorming en de constante professionele begeleiding die ze krijgen. Ze zijn bijzonder gemotiveerd, want ze krijgen toegang tot een aangepaste kredietvorm. Krediet tegen marktvoorwaarden is voor hen immers vaak onbereikbaar.

Binnen de groep vrouwen die deelnemen aan het project staan betrokkenheid, solidariteit en onderlinge afhankelijkheid centraal.
Door zijn uitstraling naar de andere regio’s van ons land, heeft dit project een hefboomeffect dat vrouwen in België de kans geeft hun kwetsbaarheid te doorbreken en actief deel te nemen aan het economische leven. Via een grotere zelfstandigheid én onafhankelijkheid nemen ze hun lot in eigen handen. En met succes!

Ik feliciteer dan ook van harte de vzw Crédal en haar partners de vzw Hefboom, Stebo en Vie Féminine met dit dynamisch initiatief.

Dames en heren,

Het is niet zo evident vrouwen tot actieve medespelers te maken in het economische leven. Allochtone vrouwen hebben het dan nog dubbel moeilijk.
Goede initiatieven die vrouwen helpen een plaats op de arbeidsmarkt te veroveren, zijn niet genoeg gekend.
Tot deze vaststelling kwam de onafhankelijke jury van het Fonds tijdens zijn beraadslagingen.

Naar traditie worden voor de Prijs veel projecten ingediend. Dit was nu ook weer het geval. Dit jaar viel het echter op dat maar weinig projecten echt beantwoordden aan het vooropgestelde thema: de economische kracht van de vrouw in het hart van de multiculturele samenleving.
Hadden we te hoog gemikt? Waren we te ambitieus in onze verwachtingen? Gebeurt er te weinig op economisch vlak door, voor en met vrouwen?
Waarom blijven vrouwen nog altijd in de schaduw staan wanneer het over de economie en de zakenwereld gaat?
Het stemt tot verder nadenken.

De steeds groter wordende culturele diversiteit en de uiteenlopende posities van vrouwen daarin blijven een uitdaging voor ons allen.

Nochtans draagt de economische activiteit in hoge mate bij tot emancipatie en maatschappelijke betrokkenheid van vrouwen.

De wijze waarop mannen en vrouwen deelnemen aan de arbeidsmarkt, is de laatste decennia sterk geëvolueerd. Enerzijds is er de stijgende beroepsactiviteit van vrouwen waarop niet altijd een afdoend antwoord komt; anderzijds worden de prestaties van de thuiswerkende vrouw ondergewaardeerd. Huishoudelijke en zorgtaken vallen vandaag nog steeds overwegend ten laste van de vrouw. De combinatie werk en gezin blijft een moeilijke evenwichtsoefening voor elke vrouw. Steeds meer toont de werkgever op dat vlak flexibiliteit, maar is dat voldoende?

In hun economisch handelen, maken vrouwen al te vaak een afweging tussen enerzijds productiviteit die leidt tot een eigen inkomen, en anderzijds zorgzaamheid met het valoriseren van zachte waarden die ook belangrijk zijn binnen onze samenleving. Dit toont hun kracht, maar tevens ook hun kwetsbaarheid. Deze laatste vertaalt zich in een belemmering van een vlotte toegang tot de arbeidsmarkt , beperkte keuzemogelijkheden en promotiekansen.

De werkvloer zou best de diversiteit van de samenleving weerspiegelen. Structurele, sociale en culturele drempels –tradities, taal, familiale druk…- overwinnen, vraagt tezelfdertijd inspanningen zowel van de vrouwelijke werknemer als van de werkgever. Aangezien onderwijs en vorming cruciaal zijn, is het belangrijk dat vanuit de scholen meer aandacht gaat naar gelijke kansen tussen vrouwen en mannen; diversiteit kan een troef zijn, waarbij talenten maximaal ontwikkeld worden.

Dames en heren,

Dat Crédal, een coöperatieve van alternatieve kredietverlening, dit jaar weerhouden werd als laureaat, is een gelukkig toeval dat mij bijzonder verheugt. Het jaar 2005 werd immers uitgeroepen tot het Internationale Jaar van Microkrediet. Zoals U weet, heb ik mij geëngageerd om microfinanciering wereldwijd te promoten. Crédal heeft zich voor zijn project geïnspireerd op het systeem dat door professor Muhammad Yunus van Bangladesh werd uitgewerkt in de Grameenbank.
Ook in Bangladesh waren vrouwen de eerste én voornaamste bestemmelingen van kleine kredieten. Het systeem werd ondertussen uitgebreid tot microfinanciering die toegang verschaft tot financiële dienstverleningen aan personen die normaal uitgesloten worden uit het traditionele banksysteem : naast kredietverlening gaat de aandacht vandaag ook naar het sparen, de verzekering en andere financiële instrumenten.

Tijdens mijn contacten en discussies in het buitenland met bestemmelingen van microfinanciering, heb ik kunnen vaststellen dat vooral vrouwen er baat bij hebben. Het geeft hun erkenning binnen hun gemeenschap; het draagt bij tot de empowerment van de vrouw en komt zo het ganse gezin ten goede.

In ontwikkelde landen vindt microfinanciering geen uitgebreide toepassing.
Daarom verheugt het me des te meer dat organisaties in België toch bereid zijn het risico te nemen. Via microkredieten en het inzetten van individuele begeleiders, steunen ze bedrijven werkzaam in de sociale economie, particulieren met een bescheiden inkomen én micro-ondernemers. Alleen initiatieven die zelfdragend kunnen zijn én oog hebben voor de maatschappelijke meerwaarden voor mannen en vrouwen op langere termijn, kunnen een volwaardige economische deelname van de vrouw verzekeren. Duurzame oplossingen zijn nodig, geen kortetermijnregelingen.

Zoals u ziet, kan het rijke Noorden ook iets leren van het arme Zuiden. Want kansarmen vindt men ook in België, maar helaas vaak in verborgen vorm.

Dames en heren,

Voorzitster Tulkens kondigde bij aanvang aan dat we dit jaar een lustrumzitting van het Fonds vieren. Ik ben fier op zijn verwezenlijkingen van de voorbije vijf jaren. Mooie thema’s werden naar voren gebracht die telkens een positieve respons kregen vanuit het maatschappelijk veld.

Het sterkt mij in mijn overtuiging dat in ons land nog velen bereid zijn hun aandacht en tijd te besteden aan het verbeteren van het lot van hun kwetsbare medemens. Dat is hartverwarmend.

Ik ben er van overtuigd dat het Fonds de ingeslagen weg met enthousiasme zal voortzetten. Nieuwe terreinen zullen in de toekomst worden aangeboord. Onderwerpen zullen naar voren gebracht worden die soms onvoldoende aandacht krijgen, maar het toch verdienen in de schijnwerper geplaatst te worden. Het Fonds wenst op een creatieve en evolutieve manier invulling te geven aan zijn opdracht.

Ik dank alle leden van het bestuurscomité, de huidige leden hier aanwezig, maar ook degenen die in het verleden hun schouders gezet hebben onder het Fonds. Mijn dank gaat ook naar alle juryleden die steeds op een efficiënte en onafhankelijke manier hun beraadslagingen voerden. Dit alles was natuurlijk niet mogelijk zonder onze Voorzitster Mevr. Tulkens die de voorbije vijf jaar het Fonds succesvol heeft gestuurd.

Verder gaat mijn dank ook naar de Koning Boudewijnstichting, in het bijzonder naar het secretariaat van het Fonds, voor het goede beheer van het Fonds.

Tot slot wens ik oprecht mijn dank te betuigen aan de Belgische bevolking die dit alles heeft mogelijk gemaakt dankzij haar gulle giften ter gelegenheid van mijn huwelijk met Prins Filip. Zo kunnen we een stem geven aan hen van wie de stem niet altijd wordt gehoord.

Het Fonds blijft zich inzetten om de kwetsbaren binnen onze maatschappij sterker te maken.

Ik dank u voor uw aandacht.

and in French

Mesdames et Messieurs,

Je suis particulièrement heureuse que l’asbl CREDAL ait remporté cette année le Prix du Fonds qui porte mon nom.

Grâce à son projet “Affaires de femmes, femmes d’affaires”, Crédal aide les femmes défavorisées à lancer leur propre entreprise. Ceci s’effectue à travers une approche intégrée et collective à laquelle est associé l’usage de microcrédits. Cela permet à ces femmes de réaliser leur rêve avec un montant modeste comme capital de départ. Les participantes, tant Belges d’origine qu’issues de l’immigration, apprécient au plus haut point la formation et l’accompagnement professionnel permanent qui leur sont prodigués. Elles sont particulièrement motivées, car elles accèdent ainsi à une forme de crédit qui leur est adaptée. En effet, un crédit selon les normes en vigueur sur le marché est souvent inabordable pour ces femmes.
Au sein du groupe de femmes qui participent au projet, l’engagement, la solidarité et l’interdépendance occupent une place prépondérante. Grâce à son rayonnement vers les autres régions de notre pays, ce projet agit comme un levier qui permet aux femmes de Belgique de renforcer leur capital et de prendre une part active à la vie économique. Une autonomie et une indépendance accrues les incitent à prendre leur propre destinée en main. Et elles y parviennent !

Je félicite donc chaleureusement l’asbl Crédal ainsi que ses partenaires, les asbl Hefboom, Stebo et Vie Féminine pour cette initiative dynamique.

Mesdames et Messieurs,

Il n’est pas facile de faire accéder les femmes au statut de partenaire à part entière dans la vie économique. Pour les femmes issues de l’immigration, c’est encore bien plus malaisé. Les initiatives valables qui aident les femmes à conquérir une place sur le marché de l’emploi ne sont pas suffisamment connues.
C’est ce constat qui est ressorti des délibérations menées par le jury indépendant du Fonds.

Traditionnellement, les candidatures au Prix sont nombreuses, et c’était une fois de plus le cas cette année. Il était toutefois frappant de constater que peu de projets correspondaient réellement au thème retenu, en l’occurrence la force économique de la femme au coeur de la société multiculturelle.

Avions-nous visé trop haut ? Nos espoirs étaient-ils trop ambitieux ? Y a-t-il, dans le domaine économique, trop peu d’initiatives émanant de femmes, qui leur sont destinées ou auxquelles elles sont associées ? Pourquoi, aujourd’hui encore, les femmes restent-elles dans l’ombre dès qu’il est question d’économie et du monde des affaires ?
Cela mérite réflexion.

La diversité culturelle sans cesse croissante et les positions divergentes qu’occupent les femmes demeurent un défi pour chacun d’entre nous.

Pourtant, l’activité économique contribue dans une large mesure à l’émancipation et à l’engagement social des femmes.

La manière dont hommes et femmes participent au marché de l’emploi a fortement évolué au cours de ces dernières décennies. D’une part, on constate une augmentation de l’activité professionnelle des femmes, à laquelle on n’apporte pas toujours une réponse convaincante ; d’autre part, les tâches que mènent à bien les femmes qui restent au foyer ne sont pas appréciées à leur juste valeur. Aujourd’hui encore, les tâches ménagères et les charges familiales échoient en majeure partie aux femmes. Pour chacune d’entre elles, combiner vie professionnelle et vie familiale requiert des talents d’équilibriste. Il est vrai que, de plus en plus, les employeurs font preuve de souplesse en cette matière, mais est-ce bien suffisant ?

Dans leurs activités économiques, les femmes sont trop souvent tiraillées entre d’une part, la productivité qui leur permet de bénéficier d’un revenu propre et, d’autre part, la sollicitude qui les incite à privilégier les valeurs douces, qui ont également leur importance dans notre société. Ceci démontre leur force, mais révèle tout à la fois leur vulnérabilité, qui se traduit par un accès difficile au marché de l’emploi, par des options limitées et des possibilités de promotion réduites.

Le monde du travail devrait refléter la diversité de la société. On ne pourra aplanir les obstacles structurels, sociaux et culturels – les traditions, la langue, la pression de la famille….- que grâce aux efforts conjoints des femmes qui travaillent et des employeurs. L’enseignement et la formation étant d’une importance cruciale, il est primordial que les écoles mettent davantage l’accent sur l’égalité des chances entre les femmes et les hommes; la diversité peut être un atout, permettant au talent de s’épanouir au maximum.

Mesdames et Messieurs,

Le fait que Crédal, une coopérative s’occupant de formes alternatives d’octroi de crédit, ait été retenu cette année comme lauréat, est un heureux hasard, qui me réjouit particulièrement. L’année 2005 a en effet été proclamée Année internationale du Microcrédit. Comme vous le savez, je me suis engagée à promouvoir la microfinance dans le monde entier. Pour son projet, Crédal s’est inspiré du système mis en oeuvre au Bangladesh par le professeur Muhammad Yunus dans la ‘Grameen Bank’.

Au Bangladesh aussi, ce sont les femmes qui ont été les premières destinataires et les principales bénéficiaires de crédits à petite échelle. Entre-temps élargi, ce système de microfinance permet actuellement aux personnes qui sont normalement exclues du système bancaire traditionnel d’avoir accès à divers services financiers : outre l’octroi de crédits, il se concentre à présent sur l’épargne, les assurances et d’autres instruments financiers.

Lors de mes contacts et de mes discussions avec les bénéficiaires de la microfinance à l’étranger, j’ai pu constater que ce sont surtout les femmes qui peuvent en retirer un avantage. Ce système leur permet de jouir d’une certaine considération au sein de leur communauté, contribuant en cela à l’autonomisation de la femme et, partant, au bien-être de toute la famille.

Dans les pays développés, la microfinance n’est utilisée que de manière relativement restreinte. Je suis dès lors d’autant plus heureuse de constater qu’en Belgique, certaines organisations sont disposées à relever ce défi. Grâce à l’octroi de microcrédits et à un accompagnement individuel, ces organisations soutiennent des entreprises qui s’occupent d’économie sociale, des particuliers aux revenus modestes et des micro-entrepreneurs. Seules les initiatives qui sont en mesure de devenir financièrement autonomes et qui visent pour les hommes et les femmes une plus-value à long terme pourront garantir à la femme un rôle à part entière dans la vie économique. Ce dont nous avons besoin, ce sont des solutions durables, et non pas des arrangements à court terme.

Comme vous le constatez, le Nord prospère a encore des choses à apprendre des pays pauvres du Sud. En effet, des personnes défavorisées, il y en a aussi en Belgique, mais, malheureusement, cette pauvreté est souvent cachée.

Mesdames et Messieurs,

Madame la Présidente Tulkens a relevé dans son introduction que le Fonds fête cette année un anniversaire jubilaire. Je suis fière de ce que le Fonds a réalisé au cours des cinq années écoulées. Il a mis en évidence de beaux thèmes, qui ont suscité à chaque fois des réactions positives du monde social.

Cela me conforte dans ma conviction que dans notre pays, beaucoup de gens sont encore disposés à consacrer leur attention et leur temps à l’amélioration du sort des plus vulnérables. Cela me fait chaud au coeur.

Je suis convaincue que le Fonds poursuivra avec enthousiasme la tâche qu’il s’est imparti. A l’avenir, des thèmes nouveaux seront abordés. Le Fonds se penchera sur des sujets auxquels on attache parfois trop peu d’importance, mais qui méritent d’être mis en évidence. Le Fonds a la volonté de mener à bien sa mission de manière créative et évolutive.

Je remercie tous les membres du comité de gestion, les membres actuels ici présents, mais également ceux qui se sont investis pour le Fonds dans le passé. Ma gratitude va également à tous les membres du jury qui ont mené leurs délibérations de manière efficace et en toute indépendance. Tout cela n’aurait évidemment pas été possible sans notre Présidente, Madame Tulkens, qui a dirigé le Fonds d’une manière efficace durant les cinq années écoulées.

J’adresse également mes remerciements à la Fondation Roi Baudouin et, en particulier, au secrétariat du Fonds, pour leur bonne gestion.

Enfin, je souhaite exprimer ma sincère reconnaissance envers la population belge. En effet, tout ceci, nous le devons à la générosité dont elle a fait preuve à l’occasion de mon mariage avec le Prince Philippe. Elle nous a ainsi permis de donner la parole aux sans-voix.

Le Fonds continuera à renforcer les personnes vulnérables dans notre société.

Je vous remercie de votre attention.

Translation in English

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am most pleased that vzw Crédal this year recieves the prize that bears my name.

With the project "Women-and-business" Crédal helps underpriviledged women to start up their own company. This happens through an integrated and collective approach, combined with the use of microcredits. With a small sum of money as starting capital they can make their dream come true. The participants, both native as foreign women, are very enthousiastic about the training and the constant professional guidance they receive. They are especially motivated, because they get acces to an adapted form of financing. Financing at market conditions are most of the time unthinkable for them.

For the group of women participating in the project involvement, solidarity and individual independance are the main themes. By its influence on other parts of our country, this project has triggered other women in Belgium to grasp the opportunity to end their vulnerability and to participate actively in the ecnonomic life. A bigger independance helps them to decide about their own fate. And with success !

Therefor I want to congratulate vzw Crédal and her partners vzw Hefboom, Stebo and Vie Féminine for their dynamic initiative.

Ladies and gentlemen,

It isn't an evidence to make women active partners in the economic life. Foreign women have it twice as hard.
Good initiatives, providing women with a job, get hardly enough publicity.
This is the conclusion the independant jury of my Fund drew during our talks.

Traditionnally a lot of projects enter this competition. The same happened this year. But it was remarkable that few projects actually answered this year's theme: de economic power of the woman in the heart of the multicultural society.
Did we aim too high? Were our expectations too ambitious? Does too little happen in the economy for and by and with women? Why are women still left in the shadow when it comes to the economy and business life?
Questions we certainly want to contemplate further.

The ever increasing cultural diversity and various positions of women in it stay a challenge for all of us.

But the economic activity contributes in high amount to the emancipation and social involvement of women.

The manner in which men and women participate in the labour market has evolved a lot in the past years. At one side there's the fact that women's jobs don't always get the apreciation they deserve, at the other side the work of the housewife is often underestimated. Domestical and caring tasks are still in high amount at the charge of women. The combination of having a job and a family stays a difficult balance exercise for each woman. More and more employers are showing flexibilty when it comes to this, but is it enough?

In their economic activities women too often have to chose between the prodictivity that provides them with their own income and the valorisation of caring values that are important in our society as well. Their responsability for these show their power, but at the same time their vulnerability. The latter is clear in the obstruction of an easy acces to the labour market, restricted posibilties of choice and chances for promotion.

Ladies and gentlemen,

The fact that Crédal, as a cooperative for alternative financing, has been chosen as this year's laureate, is a happy coincidence that fills me with joy. The year 2005 is the International Year of the Microcredit. As you know, I have made an effort to promote the use of microcredits wordwide. For its project, Crédal found inspiration in the system that professor Muhammad Yunus from Bangaldesh developped in the Grameenbank.
In Bangladesh as well women were the first and most important destinaries of the small financing projects. In the meanwhile the system has been expanded to microfinancing that offers acces to financing to persons that would normally have been excluded from the tradition banking system: apart from financing there's atention for savings, insurance and other financial instruments.

During my contacts and discussions abroad with the destinaries of micorcredits, I have been able to conclude that's it's most of all a system that women benefit from. It gives them recognition in their community, it strengthens the empowerment of women and thus helps the entire family.

In developped countries microfinancing isn't practiced very often. That's why I'm all the more pleased that there are organizations in Belgium willing to take the risk. Through microcredits and working with individual companions, they support companies in the social economy, privates with a modest income and micro-investors. Only initiatives that are selfcatering and have an eye for the social value of men and woman on the long term can ensure the economic participation of women. Lasting solutions is what we need, not short term regulations.

As you can see, the rich North can also learn from the poor South. Because there are also underpriviledged in Belgium, unfortunally often hidden away.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Chairwoman Tulkens has anounced at the start that we celebrate the 5th anniversary of my Fund. I'm proud of the accomplishments of the past 5 years. Nice themes were proposed that always got a positive response from the social field.

It strengthens me in my conviction that in our country many are still prepared to give atention and time to improve the lives of vulnerable fellow citizens. That warms my heart.

I'm convinced that my Fund will continue with enthousiasm on the road we have chosen. New fields will be explored in future. We will bring forward themes that sometimes do not get enough atention, but deserve to stand in the spotlight. The Fund wishes to fulfill its duty in a creative and evolutive way.

I thank all members of the comity, the members here present, but also those who have collaborated with my Fund in the past. My thanks also goes to all the jurymembers who have always worked in an efficient and independant way. All of this would of course not have been posible without our chairwoman, Mrs. Tulkens, who has guided the fund successfully the past 5 years.

Further I would like to thank the king Baudouin foundation, and especially the administration of the fund, for the good caretaking of the fund.

At last I would like to offer my sincere thanks to the Belgian population who has made all of this posible by her generous gifts at the time of my marriage to prince Philippe. This way we can give a voice to those who aren't always heard.

The Fund will continue the make itself usefull in attempting to strengthen those who are vulnerable in our society.

I thank you for your atention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom