The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Royal Highness

I know this is off tropic but do you have links or videos were I can here Mathilde speak? She has a truly beautiful voice!

Old 10-05-2005, 06:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mette2
You were right about that Danielane. It only took about 5 hours from the time Mathilde was admitted to the hospital till the baby was born. Nice for her that she didn't have to be in labour for hours and hours.
Five hours is long for a third child. I know lot of third children who were born in one hour, sometimes least.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha-louise
It must be a girl, if the princess has been spotted buying pink clothes. In case of names, we musn't forget the memory of mathildes sister and grandmother who died in a tragic way. It wouldn't surprise me if the baby's name would refer to one of those names.
How did they die??
Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielane
Five hours is long for a third child. I know lot of third children who were born in one hour, sometimes least.
But it's also that Mahtilde had the first time a c-section , so actually this is her second naturel delivering
Old 10-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilia
But it's also that Mahtilde had the first time a c-section , so actually this is her second naturel delivering
Yes, I forgot...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahLindeau
How did they die??
Her sister and grandmother died in a car accident in '97. It was a very big shock for her family. Prince Philippe attended the funeral.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielane
Sorry.:o I really don't know what's considered a fast delivery whether it's for a second or third child. 5 hours just sounded quite quick to me.:)
Old 10-06-2005, 05:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mette2
Sorry.:o I really don't know what's considered a fast delivery whether it's for a second or third child. 5 hours just sounded quite quick to me.:)
It must be long for the woman who suffers during the birth.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Her sister and grandmother died in a car accident in '97. It was a very big shock for her family. Prince Philippe attended the funeral.
That's terrible. When did Mathilde and Phillipe marry? Were they already together in 1997? Sorry, I don't know much about the Belgian RF.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, they were already together in 1997. Filip was at the funeral (and Mathilde's father, count Patrick d'Udekem d'Acoz said at the time of the engagement that he had been a support for the entire family).

They got married in December 1999.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Commoner

Thanks, Hannelore.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Courtier

For me it almost incredible that they managed to have a relationship outside the limelight but I think it was the best for them to establish a strong relationship and now marriage.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Aristocracy

That's possible in Belgium because we don't have paparazzi. Also from abroad there was no interest in the 'boring' prince of belgium. So nobody was cheasing them. And I think that when they walked out the door, they just didn't pretend they were a couple, so anybody who maybe wanted to spot them, just hadn't the change to make the ultimate picture. I heard that they also had some tricks, like they never left a resaurant together. As there is always a bodyguard for the prince, they used him to fool watching people.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

That's absolutely right, Martha-Louise.

Also Filip and Mathilde hadn't informed anyone about their relationship, only their immediate family knew, but not even their close friends. One of Filip's best friends said at the engagement "Filip really is a guy who likes a surprise. I've known him for 20 years, and you think you know someone -untill he calls to say he's getting married ! I had no idea he was seeing someone." For Mathilde's friends it was also a surprise. The people in the village where Mathilde's parents live knew about it becuse they had seen him at the funeral and later as well, cycling with Mathilde, or walking in the woods with her, but they kept silent. The couple didn't even have to ask...it's a tiny village in the country side, where people still have a "this is our business and no one else's"- mentality.

Actually a few months before the engagement, a Belgian journalist got wind of the name "Mathilde d'Udekem", who had her own speech therapy cabinet in Brussels and was rumoured to be involved with Filip. So he called her at her office to ask her about it, she started laughing and said it was a good joke...so the journalist left it at that.

Not really the paparazzi attitude in Belgium, no :)
Old 10-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Commoner

Smart and humorous Mathilde

She's becoming more and more my royal favourite.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Courtier

From Getty Images and Newscom.

October 12th.

Philippe receives Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra at the Royal Palace in Brussels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55904120.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	203225   Click image for larger version

Name:	gamma244882.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	203362  
Old 10-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Courtier

No papparazzi in Belgium? How civilized!
Old 10-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Majesty

Has there been a official potriat of mathilde in gala?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That's possible in Belgium because we don't have paparazzi. Also from abroad there was no interest in the 'boring' prince of belgium. So nobody was cheasing them. And I think that when they walked out the door, they just didn't pretend they were a couple, so anybody who maybe wanted to spot them, just hadn't the change to make the ultimate picture. I heard that they also had some tricks, like they never left a resaurant together. As there is always a bodyguard for the prince, they used him to fool watching people.
Was he really known as the "boring" prince? Was he a man about town while a bachelor or really not?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:12 AM
Aristocracy

Until he presented Mathilde in 1999, there were many who didn't really knew the prince. He wasn't presented at extravagant parties etc. He was (is) an introvert person, had not the handsom look like Amedeo or William. At official duties he behaved a bit shy, a bit stiff, a bit clumsy, no big laughs, always very serious. We hardly saw him laughing or smiling. We also din't know anything about his life, he was out of the spotlights while he was studying (till far in the eighties). So that's how he became 'boring' for paparazzi and other press.

Tags
crown prince phillipe, crown princess mathilde, current events, duchess of brabant, duke of brabant, mathilde, phillipe