Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde - Current Events part 13

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures are so beautiful.
Mathilde is looking as elegant and radiant as always.
Such a lovely couple.

Mathilde is outstanding! Such grace and beauty! And I love the top that she's wearing, both unique and classy.

Like others have said, Mathilde is a huge asset to the Belgian royal family. She has classic beauty and I absolutely love her hair color.

Philippe always seems a little shy to me just judging by the pics but she is so radiant that she helps balance everything and together they're a wonderful couple.

Is there a website about the Exhibition that someone could post?
Thank you Leanne

* sigh *

The appreciation for the Belgian Crown Prince is on an alltime low. The monarchy is in a dangerous zone since the escapades of Laurent and Philippe. Even Astrid faces vitriolic comments in Belgian media.

The monarchy faces major changes with the coming State Reform after the elections in June 2007.

But the only thing this thread is about, is mouthwatering and drooling and oooh and aaah on Mathilde's outfits! This reminds me on the oooh and aaah on Empress Farah Diba. While she was counting her emeralds the whole monarchy in Iran collapsed!

:ermm:

Last edited:
Well Mathilde does not have many emeralds to count:lol: Its certainly not her fault that her husband and brother in law is getting some bad press.

Well there are a lot of poster here from all over the world, who sometimes don't have a monarchie. Let them enjoy it by saying ooooh and aaaah. Mathilde is just the perfect princess, walked away from a fairytale.
That's a bit of the dreamworld of royaltyfans....

Of course there is the political site, where nobody cares about how fancy Mathilde is, but ask the critical question if the crownprince is capable to become king.

Well in all this rumour, most Flemish parties have made their point clear. They want more authorities, but no seperatism, they want to keep on working together with Wallonia. They put the future role of the hereditary prince in question, but they don't talk about abolishing the monarchie.

I think most of the politicians are republican, if you think strictly democratic, you are republican. But most of them don't ask the separation of the country. As long as Belgium sticks together, so long will the monarchie remain. In worst case scenario of the state reformation discussions, then it is obvious Flanders will become a republic soon.

But at this time I don't think it's already time to be very pessimistic. Belgian are quiet neutral towards the royal house. So I guess things can turn out good if Philippe will take new progressive advisors and does a private talk with the media....

Last edited:
Abolishing the Belgian monarchy

Indeed the abolishing of the Belgian monarchy is not for tomorrow.

But already with the transferring of political powers to the regions (Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels) the King's role has already become smaller and smaller. When Belgium is eroding, it's head of state erodes too. That is obvious.

A purely ceremonial and protocollair kingship á la Sweden will be fixed with the coming State Reform: mark my words. And that is quite a surprise when you remember the Belgium before the State Reform (2o years ago): a strong unitarian state with a strong centralistic government and a powerful King. Nothing is left anymore of that.

I have a few belgians friends, who are not republicans nor anti-monarchy at all, but who can't simply stand Mathilde (and who don't care about Philippe).
The appreciation of "fairy-tale princess" is not an universal one. Some people may think so, but if there are people who don't like Mathilde, let them express it, without animosity.

Henri M. said:
Indeed the abolishing of the Belgian monarchy is not for tomorrow.

A purely ceremonial and protocollair kingship á la Sweden will be fixed with the coming State Reform: mark my words. And that is quite a surprise when you remember the Belgium before the State Reform (2o years ago): a strong unitarian state with a strong centralistic government and a powerful King. Nothing is left anymore of that.

Yes it's true that the monarchie has evolved. Its 25 years ago that Belgium became federalistic. And yes king Baudouin was a strong king, but one should not compare that with the monarchie in 21th century.

It is an overall evolution that monarchies live on popularity and not by power anymore. It's not only Sweden, even the queen of England has not that much to say, in all monarchies, the prime ministers have become the 'president'.

It's that point that make the politicians worry about Philippe. Because they think Philippe wants to be a king like Baudouin. Unfortunately that's not accepted anymore. If Philippe shows that he wants to continue like his father, they will make no more arguments. The debate about the role of the king is not about king Albert, but about Philippe. It's not the monarchie an sich that is put to the question, it's the behaviour of Philippe: is he modern enough? (read: will he keep a de facto protocolair function like Albert does, or should we force him by changing the law)

Ceremonial kingship

I wonder how Prince Philippe wil feel about all this?

From Prince Willem-Alexander we know that he sees absolutely nothing in a 'kingship without content'. With other words: he prefers to be no King at all than 'just' a ceremonial King. In the Netherlands, despite all constitutional reforms since 1848 almost nothing substantial has changed concerning the position of the King.

For Belgium my hopes are on Yves Leterme, the most likely new premier ministre after June 2007. His party, the Flemish christian-democrats, are very moderate and not too willing to change things overnight.

But the centrifugal powers of federalization are out of control. The more power will be transferred to Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels, the less important the federal state and government will become. Already now the King has no any say in the appointment of ministers for Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels. The appointment of governors and majors already is regionalized. Even Foreign Affairs is more and more split between the regions.

The King can only count on his traditional ties with the Armed Forces.

Last edited:
Closing this thread

This thread has now reached 10 pages, and will be closed.

Thank you all for your contribution, and we look forward seeing you on the new thread, which you can find here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom