Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde: Current Events Part 11

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's decided that he's going to hang in his sofa in May. Yeah right. If you have a look at the agenda of the monarchy, you'll see some activities listed. Every day he's at his office going through Belgian news, activities, politics with his advisors and collaborators. He has meetings at the palace, he prepares economic missions and other economic activities. Much of these events are not made public (because lobbying & getting somewhere happens behind closed doors). Filip is not some media star for whom doing something is the same as appearing somewhere and his picture being taken. He's someone who takes his job seriously and he works pretty hard too!

09-05-2006 Brussels
Prinses Mathilde attended the "In Bev-Baillet LatourAward"

from PPE

Attachments

• 06050990.jpg
    06050990.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 06050991.jpg
    06050991.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 06050992.jpg
    06050992.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 06050993.jpg
    06050993.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 306
Thank you for beautiful piuctures! Mathilde looks so friendly and happy!

Thank you, Jess! It is always so much fun to see what she is up to and what she is wearing! This was a very interesting prize that she awarded.

I think it's the 3rd or 4th time she awarded this prize. Before her princess Astrid or queen Fabiola awarded it.

Today Mathilde & Filip have made a private visit to "Centrum West" in Molenbeek, a youth house that organizes after school activities, cultural and sports activities for the children and youths of the community. Molenbeek is a part of Brussels, a very poor community with a very high rate of criminality and vandalism. More than 90% of it's population is Arab, and it's not exactly an image of integration.

Hannelore - do you think they made this a private visit because it was a security risk? or is this just typical of the way they do things? And, are there any photos or did you hear this as a news report or did Mathilde send you another one of those postcards letting you know she was making the visit:)!

now now those postcards are something between Mathilde and me, I'm not going to blab about it ;)

I read the news of their visit on monarchie.be (the royal agenda), it was only released today, after the visit.

I'm convinced they wanted to keep it private so as to not have any press around, to be able to really talk with the youngsters and the people who work in the centre. To be able to be themselves, and let the kids be themselves too. Filip & Mathilde feel very involved with "problem areas" in Belgium IMO. They see it as a part of their personal duty to know what is going on and see if they can perhaps help a little (not easy of course because after all what can they really change?). I've also seen a photo of Olivier Polet of Filip drinking tea in a Moroccan tea house in Molenbeek, talking to the men there.

2 years ago there was a major gass explosion in a town in Belgium where several people got killed. Filip was at the funeral of the firemen who got killed, this was live on tv. But later at the meetings with survivors and their families Filip & Mathilde were also present. This was never anounced and without any atention from the media. I think they feel all Belgians are a part of their family and that it's their duty to be there for them if there are problems.

purple_platinum said:
09-05-2006 Brussels
Prinses Mathilde attended the "In Bev-Baillet LatourAward"

a few more small ones from Picturedesk

Attachments

• 6921190.jpg
    6921190.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 6921191.jpg
    6921191.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 237
  • 6921192.jpg
    6921192.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 6921193.jpg
    6921193.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 270
That's really a very beautiful thing to do. Very warmhearted. They must be such a gentle and sensitive couple!
But of course getting media-attention is also an instrument they must use to attract attention to several problems.
But anyhow, this private visit shows again they are really concerned and not playing a role.

Thank you for that explanation. I agree with Martha-Louise -- what a "gentle and sensitive" couple. I am so impressed with the work they do. I hope, despite the criticisms that periodically appear, that this couple is appreciated for all they do.

The visit took place in a familiar atmosphere but was not so private at all! Here are some pics (www.centrumwest.be). More can be found at http://www.centrumwest.be/royal/index.htm. It´s a great idea to visit this projects and support the young people there. And it´s another brilliant proof of their presence. IMO, it´s the best way to face up to all this unfair criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom