The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
Last week princess Mathilde visited the Solvay business school in Brussels where she met foreign students and talked about microfinance in their homecountries.

You can see a video here, there are also good images of Mathilde's advisor.
http://www.vtm.be/tv/index_programma...multimedia.htm
Some screen caps, the quality is so, so

Old 04-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Serene Highness

...but at least we get to see PM again! Thank you for the pictures, Larzen!

Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Courtier

This probably comes a bit late, but I haven't been able to get online at home for a long time. But I just wanted to say thank you for the interview and for all the latest pictures.:)
Old 04-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Here is another picture from the Microfinance Conference. Mathilde is really nice-looking - who would have expected something else.
Source: BELGA/monarchie.be
Old 04-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Courtier

Somebody knows where the Mathilde Princess will goes in Easter weekend????
Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Aristocracy

Has anyone read the latest issue of point de vue as it says something about the belgian royal family being in "torment " about the future of the royal family or something .Could someone clarify this for me please.thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Has anyone read the latest issue of point de vue as it says something about the belgian royal family being in "torment " about the future of the royal family or something .Could someone clarify this for me please.thanks
really? i thought people liked Astrid, Claire (being a [i don't like using distinctions but "commonor"]commner, marrying a prince. wouldnt it therefor make the royal family relevant to the lives of the belgian people?) and Mathilde.
...would that explain why the whole family went to see the pope with thier nannies and staff to show that there were a united family, thankful for people who help them and supports them(sorry if that doesnt make sense, it's very late + i'm wrtting an essay )
...sounds intresting, bad, i dunno if anyone has it could you please post it. thanks :)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by flctylu
really? i thought people liked Astrid, Claire (being a [i don't like using distinctions but "commonor"]commner, marrying a prince. wouldnt it therefor make the royal family relevant to the lives of the belgian people?) and Mathilde.
...would that explain why the whole family went to see the pope with thier nannies and staff to show that there were a united family, thankful for people who help them and supports them(sorry if that doesnt make sense, it's very late + i'm wrtting an essay )
...sounds intresting, bad, i dunno if anyone has it could you please post it. thanks :)
My guess is that the article is not referring to torment between members of the Belgian Royal Family. It is probably referring to articles posted a couple of weeks ago questioning the ability of Phillippe to be an effective leader. I believe Catherine stated that there are extremist factions within Belgium that raise these issues from time to time. Catherine, please correct me on this or add to it because I know I don't have it completely accurate. The bottom line for me is that, at this point, I ignore statements like those you quote and I take my cues from some of the reliable Belgian posters on this board.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's right Emily, point de vue made a report (full of mistakes) on questions that were raised about Philippe in certain Flemish media, this happens every few years/months. It's a way of trying to get at Belgium's unity...Because Philippe is often in the spotlights and not much of a media star (but very capable IMO, just read his interviews, listen to his ideas and what he has to say) he's their favorite victim.

the article was not very good, but some very nice photos :) ... that I will post in another thread.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kindly refrain from asking about the couple's upcoming events. The upcoming events can be found in the thread titled 'Belgian Royal Family Calender.'

If the events have not been translated as yet, and you wish to translate and post them, do so in the appropriate thread (Belgian Royal Family Calender thread) and not here.

Thank you
Old 04-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Aristocracy

The article kinda exagerated. It's stupid to respond on those critics, makes only more polemics an polarisation...
The monarchy isn't in danger just because of some critics. In every reign people have told the monarchy is in danger. Certainly when we think of Leopold II (there was a lot of criticism on his politics eg. in the Congo) Leopold III and the Royal question (remember that the Walloon people voted againt monarchy 50 years ago) after that king Baudouin with the Abortion questoin, every time the monarchy was in danger they told. But look at them, there are still their shining and glittering.
There is need of a kind of revolution among the citizens or a coup to stop a monarchistic tradition. And Flemisch critics are discussing - not to stop monarchy - but to give king Philippe just a protocol function.
And yes, maybe that will be discussed in 2007 at the next revision of state. But politicians need to change the constitution for that, so it's not that easy.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

And the walloon and flemish politicians have to agree on that first. I'm sure that in Wallonia they are strongly opposed to giving a mere protocol function to the king. I don't think the Belgian people are so wlid about this idea either.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Caceres (Spain)

Prince of Belgium attended procession of Santa and Side Cross.

Prince Felipe and their Matilde wife saw the procession when coming out, in San Mateo, from the House of Ulloa Hizo photos and their children greeted to the public from the balcony the Easter cacereña had an exception visitor yesterday: the inheriting prince of Belgium, Felipe, who was present at the procession of the brotherhood of Santa and Side Cross, one of the most traditional and emblematic parades of the city. The prince was accompanied of his wife, Matilde, as well as of his children. The exit of the procession of the Side Cross, to the 20 hours, from the church of San Mateo was been present at by the heir of the Belgian crown, the older son of the kings, Alberto II and Paola. One was in front of with friendships in an historical located building San Mateo, the House of Diego Garci'a de Ulloa. It was present at the procession from one the balconies of the house, along with his Matilde wife and friends, as well as of his children small Gabriel and Elisabeth and other children.
Part of the public was noticed immediately of the presence of so illustrious visitors by the frenetic activity of the press photographers who did not let point their objectives towards the balcony. The prince did, as well, photos of the procesional parade and the children saluted smiling to the public at some moment. Apparently, the heir of the Belgian crown moved to Cáceres in deprived visit to hunt.

http://www.hoy.es/pg060414/prensa/no...Y-CAC-028.html
Old 04-14-2006, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

any pictures?? :) :)
Old 04-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd love to see photos of this as well.

They're always so active in their holidays! I'd expect, with the busy life they lead and 3 small children, they'd just want to lie in a chair on the beach but they're mostly abroad visiting places and friends. Elisabeth must already have an international circle of little friends :)
Old 04-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

i join the team, those photos would be absolutely beautiful. easter in spain is beautiful and very traditional... a must-see :) and if they went with the kids, those pics must be great. not many princely families travel abroad for holidays, and if they do, they definetely don't follow this kind of traditional things of easter or christmas, let's say, typical of the country. a totally nice gesture from them :)

i know felipe and letizia were on official duty in caceres some days ago... perhaps the two couples met each other? :)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

wow... seems like Spain is the popular easter holiday destination for young royals..
first, the norwegian, and now the belgian..
Old 04-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Today is Philippe's birthday. He's 46 now, congratulations to our crownprince :)
Old 04-15-2006, 04:59 AM
Serene Highness

Congratulations to prince Philippe!
Old 04-15-2006, 07:03 AM
Aristocracy

Happy Birthday !:)

Tags
crown prince phillipe, crown princess mathilde, current events, duchess of brabant, duke of brabant, mathilde, phillipe