Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	150631   Click image for larger version

Name:	52988113.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	150632  

Old 05-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Mathilde hands out the doctor honoris causa title to Carol Bellamy from Unicef, at the university of Antwerp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	150651   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	150652   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	150653   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	150654  

Old 05-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Her speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
Princess Mathilde hands out the doctor honoris causa title to Carol Bellamy from Unicef, at the university of Antwerp.
Mr Rector,
Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen

The awarding of honorary doctorates by a University is always a highlight of the academic calendar. It is, at the same time, a particularly valuable way of honouring individuals or organisations of exceptional scientific and societal merit. Much to the University of Antwerp’s credit, it has once again reserved an important place for social work.
I congratulate all honorary doctors on their wonderful work.

I am particularly delighted to be able to address you at the present ceremony, for among those being honoured today is UNICEF. And I feel closely connected with the mission of that organisation.
By honouring Ms Carol Bellamy, outgoing Executive Director of UNICEF, the University of Antwerp has offered us an opportunity to pay personal tribute to her for her unwavering commitment over the past decade to the wellbeing of children all over the world. Ms Bellamy, may I join in the congratulations extended to you on this memorable day.

Ladies and Gentlemen

A highly developed society and a world where human dignity and development are central should always give priority to its children and safeguard respect for their rights as described in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. The mission of UNICEF is to help foster every child’s right to survival, development, protection and participation - anywhere in the world and irrespective of the circumstances. In this manner, UNICEF contributes actively to creating a better world for children. In this manner, UNICEF contributes directly to improving the wellbeing of all. And this is why its mission is so noble and important.

Ms Bellamy has led UNICEF for ten years, fighting unrelentingly and unwaveringly for children and their rights. Her plea is an inspiration to many people. I, in turn, support her call for greater attention to the plight of children and I also pay tribute to the commitment of the many thousands of children’s rights defenders, in our own country and around the world.

The misery in which many children are living today disturbs me deeply. Worldwide, over 1 billion children still have no access to the most elementary provisions.
During my recent missions to Niger, Mali and India, I was harshly confronted with the extreme poverty that unfortunately still affects the lives of so many young ones. And yet I also felt, particularly among youngsters, a strong hope of a better future.

However, it also makes me very sad to see that at home, here in the so-called rich North, many children are still living in hidden poverty.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It pleases me that I, together with UNICEF, have been able to strive to make our world a little more child-friendly. Over the past five years, I have participated enthusiastically in numerous activities of UNICEF Belgium, particularly in the fields of schooling and education. The sincerity, understanding and commitment with which children and youngsters stand up for their interests touches me every time. This became all the more apparent during the Children’s Summit in New York three years ago. The strongest and most touching messages were delivered by the youngsters themselves.

Although children occupy a vulnerable position in our society, they are also active participants. We must learn to listen to them more, and more closely. For children have meaningful things to say. I, for one, have learnt a great deal from my repeated contacts with them. During my meeting with the Children’s parliament in Niger, I was able to experience personally just how important the societal participation of children is. It is not a Western notion, but a fundamental need of children and youngsters everywhere.
Children constitute an important positive force in society. And for this reason, too, they deserve our full support.

If we are truly concerned with creating a World Fit for Children, as the plan of action of the Children’s Summit proposes, if we truly love our children, then we must give them our full attention tomorrow –even more so than today. We must focus our efforts primarily on children in difficulty, both in our own society and in the developing world. I refer particularly to the millions of children who have been hit so cruelly by HIV-AIDS. The disease is killing over a thousand children every day, and it has left millions alone and orphaned.

Belgium plays a leading role in combating AIDS. Pioneering research into the disease is carried out at, among other places, this university and the Institute of Tropical Medicine , by people such as Peter Piot, head of UNAIDS, and also an honorary doctor of this university. I would, for that matter, like to take this opportunity to congratulate Mr Piot, who is in our midst today, on his pioneering work in the global fight against AIDS.

The issues of AIDS and its impact on children is an urgent challenge for the immediate future. We must not remain blind to its catastrophic consequences. It is for this reason that I have wholeheartedly accepted an invitation from UNICEF and UNAIDS to become a Special Representative of the Global Campaign for Orphans and Children Made Vulnerable by HIV/AIDS.
Just a few weeks ago, UNICEF Belgium was one of the first to launch a campaign centring on this issue. I for one am convinced that it will be successful.

Finally, I would like to congratulate the University of Antwerp for awarding this honorary doctorate. It is a strong signal to society that it must continue to combat these problems and that, we together, must step up our efforts in the interest of our children, our society and our world.

Ms Bellamy, I wish you every bit of happiness and, in the name of UNICEF Belgium, I thank you deeply for your efforts and commitment.

And may UNICEF, and its new director Ann Veneman in particular, achieve the greatest possible success in the unrelenting struggle for the dignity and development of children around the world.
Let us combine forces to offer vulnerable children, especially in developing countries, a brighter and promising future.

I thank you for your attention.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, wonderful pictures of Mathilde! She's really in the essence of beauty and grace on some of these pics, lovely! And good for Carol to receive an honorary doctorate - she deserves it after all her good work!

Thanks for all the pics!
Old 05-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Royal Highness

Lovely photos, the duchess is very busy too. She's been very lucky with all of her pregnancies, as she looks radiant is able to keep working.:)

I really like her hair from yesterday. I am also not so sure about the pants. I think this was a case of a bad combination of the style of the pants and the material. It should have been either or, but not both. Nevertheless, the Duchess looks elegant overall.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prinses Mathilde mag zich sinds vrijdag
"speciale vertegenwoordiger voor kin-
deren en aids" noemen. Ze aanvaardde de
functie, die haar werd aangeboden door
Unicef en Unaids.

Unicef is de organisatie van de
Verenigde Naties (VN) voor kinderen. De
organisatie kreeg vrijdag een eredocto-
raad in Antwerpen.

Unaids geeft het wereldaidsprogramma
van de VN vorm. Aan het hoofd staat de
Belg Peter Piot. Mathilde zal voor de
VN vooral ingeschakeld worden bij
projecten voor bescherming van wezen en
aidsbestrijding.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Translation : Princess Mathilde gets special Unicef function

Since Friday (today) princess Mathilde is allowed to call herself "special representant for children and aids". She accepted the function, that was offered to her by Unicef and Unaids.

Unicef is the children's organisation of the United Nations. The organisation received an honorary doctorate in Antwerp today.

Unaids is the UN's program that fights aids, it's presided by Belgian Peter Piot. Mathilde will mostly be involved in projects that deal with the protection of orphans and the fighting of aids.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

26/05/2005

Philippe & Mathilde at the 10th gala evening of the king Baudouin fund in Antwerp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	150768   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	150769   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	150770   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	150771  

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	150772   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	150773   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	150774   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	150775  

Old 05-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Thank you all for the lovely pictures from yesterday and today's events. I love Mathilde's hairdo from yesterday too. I guess Philippe was not that interesting, seeing there're not that many pictures of him, but then again he's not pregnant, have on beautiful jewelry, or has a beautiful hairdo .
Also congratulation to Mathilde on her new title and her function - that's wonderful :).
Old 05-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Courtier

From picturedesk/contrast.

May 26th 2005 in Ardenne, Belgium.

Prince Philippe of Belgium visits exchange French-speaking and Dutch-speaking pupils as part of the "Trefle" project set up by his foundation.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mette2
From picturedesk/contrast.

May 26th 2005 in Ardenne, Belgium.

Prince Philippe of Belgium visits exchange French-speaking and Dutch-speaking pupils as part of the "Trefle" project set up by his foundation.
A few more.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Some more pics yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sipaphotos201459.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	150850   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos201460.jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	150851   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos201461.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	150852   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos201462.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	150853  

Name:	sipaphotos201464.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	150854   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos201465.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	150855   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos201466.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	150856   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos201467.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	150857  

Name:	sipaphotos201468.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	150858   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos201470.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	150859  
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 05-28-2005, 03:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

La Princesse est devenue hier Ambassadrice spéciale de l'Unicef

BRUXELLES Elle a dit oui ce vendredi, en remettant aux représentants de l'Unicef Belgique le titre de docteur honoris causa de l'Université d'Anvers. La princesse Mathilde a déclaré, dans la foulée, qu'elle acceptait de devenir la Représentante spéciale de l'Organisation et d'Onusida pour les enfants affectés par le terrible virus. Comme la princesse Diana l'avait fait en son temps pour une campagne de sensibilisation de l'Unicef au danger des mines, voilà donc l'épouse du prince Philippe engagée activement sur le terrain de l'humanitaire.

«L'épidémie du sida frappe les enfants sans distinction. Je veux donner une voix à ces enfants vulnérables. Je veux susciter plus d'attention pour ce problème grandissant», a déclaré la Princesse, enceinte de son troisième enfant.
Comme Représentante spéciale, cela signifie que Mathilde va participer à des missions de l'Unicef et d'Onusida sur le terrain pour attirer l'attention du public sur le sort de ces enfants. On estime à 15 millions ceux qui ont perdu un ou leurs deux parents emportés par le sida, tandis que plus de deux millions d'enfants sont séropositifs. 500.000 en sont morts l'année passée. Et la situation ne s'améliore pas puisqu'en 2010, le nombre des orphelins pourrait dépasser les 18 millions: un enfant sur cinq dans les pays les plus touchés d'Afrique.
Pour Marc Van Boven, Président d'Unicef-Belgique, l'engagement de la Princesse Mathilde dans la campagne est «une opportunité pour tous ces enfants». Le professeur belge Peter Piot, directeur général d'Onusida que la Princesse a récemment rencontré aux Etats-Unis, s'est également déclaré très heureux: «Je suis certain que la princesse Mathilde sera un avocat convaincant et qu'elle fera la différence dans notre lutte contre le sida». Vu la grossesse de la Princesse, aucune mission n'est prévue dans l'immédiat, mais déjà les contacts sont pris avec le Palais. Pour l'Unicef, Mathilde avait déjà été marraine d'une action pour la scolarisation des filles au Congo, au Niger et en Roumanie.

N. F. © La Dernière Heure 2005
Old 05-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Courtier

Her over-all look was fine especially her make-up and jewellry.

But I was not really that impressed with her outfit. It would look better if her pants would have been the upper part of the outift and her pants would be in all black rather than her previous outfit.
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 05-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Royal Highness

From Seeger Press.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pre-SEEGER00140310.jpg
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	151001   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00140311.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	151002   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00140312.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	151003   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00140313.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	151004  

Name:	pre-SEEGER00140314.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	151005   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00140315.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	151006   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00140316.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	151007   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00140317.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	151008  

Old 05-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
La Princesse est devenue hier Ambassadrice spéciale de l'Unicef

BRUXELLES Elle a dit oui ce vendredi, en remettant aux représentants de l'Unicef Belgique le titre de docteur honoris causa de l'Université d'Anvers. La princesse Mathilde a déclaré, dans la foulée, qu'elle acceptait de devenir la Représentante spéciale de l'Organisation et d'Onusida pour les enfants affectés par le terrible virus. Comme la princesse Diana l'avait fait en son temps pour une campagne de sensibilisation de l'Unicef au danger des mines, voilà donc l'épouse du prince Philippe engagée activement sur le terrain de l'humanitaire.

«L'épidémie du sida frappe les enfants sans distinction. Je veux donner une voix à ces enfants vulnérables. Je veux susciter plus d'attention pour ce problème grandissant», a déclaré la Princesse, enceinte de son troisième enfant.
Comme Représentante spéciale, cela signifie que Mathilde va participer à des missions de l'Unicef et d'Onusida sur le terrain pour attirer l'attention du public sur le sort de ces enfants. On estime à 15 millions ceux qui ont perdu un ou leurs deux parents emportés par le sida, tandis que plus de deux millions d'enfants sont séropositifs. 500.000 en sont morts l'année passée. Et la situation ne s'améliore pas puisqu'en 2010, le nombre des orphelins pourrait dépasser les 18 millions: un enfant sur cinq dans les pays les plus touchés d'Afrique.
Pour Marc Van Boven, Président d'Unicef-Belgique, l'engagement de la Princesse Mathilde dans la campagne est «une opportunité pour tous ces enfants». Le professeur belge Peter Piot, directeur général d'Onusida que la Princesse a récemment rencontré aux Etats-Unis, s'est également déclaré très heureux: «Je suis certain que la princesse Mathilde sera un avocat convaincant et qu'elle fera la différence dans notre lutte contre le sida». Vu la grossesse de la Princesse, aucune mission n'est prévue dans l'immédiat, mais déjà les contacts sont pris avec le Palais. Pour l'Unicef, Mathilde avait déjà été marraine d'une action pour la scolarisation des filles au Congo, au Niger et en Roumanie.

N. F. © La Dernière Heure 2005

THE PRINCESS HAS BECOME SPECIAL AMBASSADOR OF UNICEF

BRUSSELS Friday she said yes, when she rewarded the representants of Unicef Belgium with the title of doctor honoris causa at the university of Antwerp. Princess Mathilde declared immediately afterwards that she has accepted to become the special representant of the organisation and of UNaids, helping children who are affected by this terrible virus. Like princess Diana worked in her time for Unicef (landmines), prince Philippe's wife will be active in humanitarian work.

"The HIV/AIDS epidemic also strikes children indiscriminately. Children infected, or otherwise affected, by this terrible disease are very vulnerable. They are often without defences once they become orphans - abandoned and alone with no one taking care of them and, therefore, prone to becoming victims of abuse, violence, trafficking and other types of exploitation. I want to give these vulnerable children a voice. I want to draw more attention to this growing problem" the princess - who is expecting her third child - declared.
Being a special representant means that Mathilde will participate in missions of Unicef an UNaids to get more public attention for the fate of these children. The number of children having lost one or both their parents to AIDS is estimated at 15 millions, and about 2 million children are HIV positive. 500,000 died of it last year. And the situation isn't getting any better: in 2010 the numebr of AIDS orphans will probably be above 18 million : one child out of five in the most hit countries in Africa.

For Marc Van Boven, president of Unicef Belgium, the engagement Mathilde makes is an "opportunity for all those children". The Belgian professor Peter Piot, general director of Unaids, who recently met the princess in Washington, is also very satisfied about her decision : "I'm sure that princess Mathilde will make a convincing plea and that she will make a difference in our battle against AIDS."

Because the princess is pregnant, no immediate mission is planned, but there's already close contact with the palace. For Unicef, Mathilde has already patroned an action to give girls in Congo, Niger and Romania the right to go to school.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a great honour for Mathilde to become an ambassador of UNICEF. She is going to make such a difference in the lives of others who have AIDS. Thank you everyone for the photos. Mathilde looks really lovely (as usual), and it was a really nice close-up of her ring.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Courtier

From Belga.

May 29th 2005:
Prince Philippe gives the start of the 20 km. run of Brussels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p3005809.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	151737   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3005813.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	151738   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3005816.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	151739   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3005820.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	151740  

Name:	p3005822.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	151741   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3005845.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	151742   Click image for larger version

Name:	p3005957.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	151743  
Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Courtier

From Picturedesk/contrast.

May 31st 2005.

Philippe visits the trainingcenter for alternative studies in Charleroi and to the scientific park Crealys in Gembloux.
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince phillipe, crown princess mathilde, current events, duchess of brabant, duke of brabant, mathilde, phillipe