Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde: Current Events Jun 2005-Aug 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the previous part there is that picture of the horse with Philippe and Mathilde. At first sight is looks very funny, but there is a (sad) meaning behind it, I think. You see that two horses are made in one, but they're walking each to another sight, just like walloon and flanders are more and more walking away from eachother. The black head is Flanders referring to the black lion, the red is the rooster of walloon. In the middle is yellow just like the background colours of the flags. Philippe and Mathilde are also in the middle, they're holding the two communities in a symbolic way together.

Why ? What's the reason of having seperate threads then ?

martha-louise said:
In the previous part there is that picture of the horse with Philippe and Mathilde. At first sight is looks very funny, but there is a (sad) meaning behind it, I think. You see that two horses are made in one, but they're walking each to another sight, just like walloon and flanders are more and more walking away from eachother. The black head is Flanders referring to the black lion, the red is the rooster of walloon. In the middle is yellow just like the background colours of the flags. Philippe and Mathilde are also in the middle, they're holding the two communities in a symbolic way together.

Thank you for telling martha-louise. Yes, I can definitely see that when you put it like that it's not funny, but the symbolism is quite nice.

(This post had ended up in the thread - Belgian Royal Family Photo Session: 22 June 2005, which is why I've posted it here again and erased it from the photo session thread).

From cover.es.

Some old pictures of Philippe and Mathilde on vacation - Elisabeth too.

Attachments

• K2002081208_06.jpg
    K2002081208_06.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 356
  • K2002081208_05.jpg
    K2002081208_05.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 356
  • K2002081208_11.jpg
    K2002081208_11.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 465
  • K2002081210_04.jpg
    K2002081210_04.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 432
Upcoming events

June 25th : prince Filip

SportJ.175-25.be

June 27th : prince Filip

Openings session of "enterprises in Central Africa"

June 28th : prince Filip

Closing session of "enterprises in Central Africa"

June 29th : prince Filip & princess Mathilde

Gala night of the king Boudewijn foundation in Gent

June 29th : prince Filip

Handing out Francqui prize

June 30th : prince Filip

Visit to exhibition : 175 years between Heaven and Earth

July 5th : princess Mathilde

Exhibition "From Ensor to Bosch"

Hannelore said:
Why ? What's the reason of having seperate threads then ?

Because we are experiencing an attachment problem at this time and many of the same pictures were being re-posted just in different threads for different individuals. Now that they are in one thread, the thread can be cleaned up.

Snoepy said:
are there no pictures from that gala??

From Belga.

June 23rd 2005.

All I've found is this picture.

Attachments

• 175-25-23.jpg
    175-25-23.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 343
Haha that's a very nice and funny video, he realy seems to enjoy it. :)

Royal Nansen Refugee Award for "Angel of Burundi"
23 Jun 2005 10:22:11 GMT

Source: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
BRUSSELS, June 23 (UNHCR) – Marguerite Barankitse, known to many as "the Angel of Burundi" for her tireless work on behalf of children affected by war, poverty and disease, received the 2005 Nansen Refugee Award last night at a ceremony in Brussels. The Nansen medal was presented by H.R.H. Princess Mathilde of Belgium and UN Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees Wendy Chamberlin.

The Deputy High Commissioner applauded Barankitse's contribution to building a more peaceful world by teaching children of all ethnic origins that co-existence is possible. "Throughout her work with her organisation, Maison Shalom, Marguerite Barankitse sends a message of hope for the future," said Chamberlin. "Her actions are clear evidence that individual courage and commitment can make a difference in our world."

High Commissioner António Guterres, who was on mission in Uganda, sent a videotaped message congratulating Barankitse with the award: "Your story is a shining example to those who may have lost everything that there are still wonderful people in this world who deeply care about others."

Accepting the award, Barankitse said her work was inspired by one single goal: peace. "Accept your fellow man, sit down together, make this world a world of brothers and sisters," she said.

Barankitse, a Burundian Tutsi, was spurred to action in October 1993, when civil war broke out in Burundi. She had already adopted seven Hutu and Tutsi children. When all of them survived the massacres, she decided to devote herself to saving the lives of other children.

"I never expected that the bloodshed would last so long," she told journalists at a press conference. "I felt such an immense anger, I wanted to stop this violence by all means." Among the many people she helped were Burundian refugees returning to their country after a long exile in Tanzania.

Barankitse opened three centres for traumatized and orphan children and has assisted over 10,000 children since then. "Educating children for peace can save the world," she said. She is driven by an intense belief in mankind and in the power of love: "Nothing resists love, that's the message that I want to spread."

H.R.H. Princess Mathilde warmly congratulated Barankitse, whom she described as "an exceptional woman, guided by courage and determination, but mostly by her love for children and young people, regardless of race, ethnic origin or gender. All children, refugees and others, are welcome in the home of Maison Shalom."

Princess Mathilde reminded the audience that poverty reduction, which lies at the heart of the UN's Millennium Development Goals, is key to building a better world for all children. "UNHCR contributes to the eradication of poverty by searching for durable solutions to the refugee problem. It gives refugees the means to escape dependency on humanitarian aid and to become self-reliant whether in exile or upon return to their own country."

Finding durable solutions also lies at the heart of Barankitse's work for children, the Princess said. "What I find most impressive is that she searches for durable solutions to integrate these children in their host country or in their country of origin, thus contributing to development in the broadest sense."

The Nansen award ceremony took place in the heart of the capital of Europe, at Concert Noble, an elegant historical venue built in 1873 during the reign of King Leopold II. The ceremony and the reception that followed were sponsored by UNHCR's corporate partner, Microsoft EMEA. The participation of Princess Mathilde, who is a special emissary for the International Year of Microcredit (2005), was further evidence of her long-standing commitment to activities on behalf of children and other vulnerable people.

Belgium's Minister for Development Co-operation Armand De Decker and European Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid Louis Michel paid tribute to Barankitse and the work of Maison Shalom and spoke of the importance of peace and development in Africa's Great Lakes region.

Renowned Burundian singer Khadja Nin recalled her long friendship with Barankitse, going back to their school days. Congolese refugee and comedian Pie Tshibanda offered her an old Congolese lullaby: "If ever your children cannot sleep, you can sing this for them." The whole audience joined in as the stately Concert Noble resounded to the rhythm of an age-old African chant for Barankitse.

French singer and UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Julien Clerc expressed his admiration for Barankitse: "I salute your courage to confront the murderous frenzy, as well as the courage of refugees to regain control of their lives and to offer their children hope for a better future." Award-winning British photographer Stuart Freedom contributed an exhibition of his striking photographs of Barankitse and her children.

With typical modesty, Barankitse refused to take credit for her achievements. "This isn't my work, it's the work of the children: they should have been standing here in my place. They have given me the joy to live and realize my dreams."

The appreciation given through the Nansen Refugee Award is an important moral support for her, she told journalists. In addition to the award, she received a prize of US$100,000 to help pursue her projects to help children.

"I'm going to build a maternity clinic in Ruyigi, so that young women will receive instruction and hygiene care in order to prevent mothers dying at birth. In this way, we can stop babies becoming orphans!" she said.

Created in 1954, the Nansen Refugee Award is named after Fridtjof Nansen, the Norwegian explorer who was the League of Nations' High Commissioner for Refugees. As such, he was the world's first international refugee official. The prize is given annually to individuals or organizations to honour distinguished service in the cause of refugees. Last year's prize went to the Russian non-governmental organisation, Memorial Human Rights Center. The winner is selected each year by a Committee composed of the governments of Norway and Switzerland, UNHCR, the Council of Europe and the International Council of Voluntary Agencies.

By Judith Kumin, Diederik Kramers
In Brussels

Mathilde's speech at the Nansen award for help to refugees

Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Protecting refugees and looking for lasting solutions to refugee problems worldwide is a noble task . It requires a profound humanitarian commitment. I congratulate M. Antonio Guterres on his recent appointment as High Commissioner for Refugees. I applaud him for having accepted such an important mission. It will be quite a challenge to alleviate the plight of the more than 19 million refugees, stateless and internally displaced persons and other people of concern to UNHCR, scattered all over the world today and to safeguard their rights and wellbeing.
The High Commissioner can rely on highly motivated field workers who often have to function in a high risk environment. My deepest respect to all of them!

Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It gives me immense pleasure that this year the prestigious Nansen Award is presented here in Brussels. This solemn celebration should be seen in the context of other important events this year. These focus on the strengthening of multilateralism in the interest of the international community. I am thinking particularly of the celebration of the 60th anniversary of the United Nations, the Summit on the Millennium Development Goals, the reform of the United Nations and the International Year of Microcredit to name just a few.
The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees has a crucial contribution to make in the successful realisation of these ambitions.

UNHCR however is not operating in an isolated manner. It has to work together in partnership with many other organisations including non governmental organisations providing protection to refugees and other people of concern to us all.
By integrating the Millennium Development Goals into its programmes, a global partnership for development is being fostered. In this way, UNHCR contributes to the eradication of poverty by searching for durable solutions to the refugee problem. It gives refugees the means to escape dependency on humanitarian aid and to become self-reliant whether in exile or upon return to their own country. I recommend the use of microcredit as a tool to transform poverty into progress. It is an efficient vector of development and poverty reduction, even in the most difficult environments. Access to this financial instrument, among others, also gives these people the chance to rebuild their lives in dignity, especially the women and children. The latter represent more than 40 percent of the total refugee population worldwide.
Therefore, we should pay special attention to this category of refugees and internally displaced persons.

As I have done elsewhere, I wish to highlight the importance of quality education, including that in refugee camps, as the best investment in long-term stability and prosperity.

L’éducation est en effet un outil important. Souvent, les réfugiés disent que l’éducation est une priorité plus importante que le logement ou l’alimentation. Par le simple fait qu’ils vont à l’école, leurs enfants retrouvent d’emblée un sentiment de normalité et de stabilité. De plus, la scolarité contribue à les protéger contre des abus comme le travail forcé, le recrutement militaire et l’exploitation sexuelle. Celle-ci vise principalement les femmes et les jeunes filles, lesquelles sont particulièrement vulnérables lorsqu’elles ne bénéficient pas d’une éducation de base et lorsqu’elles ne sont pas insérées dans un système scolaire.

Le projet qui a été retenu pour le Prix Nansen 2005 répond tout à fait aux considérations que je viens de développer. J’ai été impressionnée par ce projet et je suis fière de pouvoir remettre ce soir le Prix Nansen à Maggy Barankitse. Une femme d’exception guidée par une grande audace et une action déterminée, mais surtout par son amour pour les enfants et les jeunes gens, sans distinction de race, d’ethnie, de sexe. Elle promeut les valeurs de paix, de tolérance, de compréhension et de dialogue. Elle montre un engagement total, un courage et une ténacité sans limites pour les milliers d’enfants rendus vulnérables par les conflits dans son pays et ailleurs. Des orphelins, des enfants atteints du SIDA, des enfants soldats ou des enfants de rue, Mme Barankitse les accueille tous sans discrimination.
Enfants réfugiés ou non réfugiés, aucune importance, ils sont tous le bienvenu dans le foyer « Maison Shalom ».

Mais, ce que je trouve encore plus impressionnant, c’est le fait qu’elle cherche des solutions durables afin d’intégrer ces enfants à long terme dans leur pays hôte ou dans leur pays d’origine, contribuant ainsi au développement dans le sens le plus large.

Mme Barankitse, je vous félicite chaleureusement pour votre travail ainsi que pour votre reconnaissance internationale si bien méritée.

Excellenties,
Dames en Heren,

De weg die Mevr. Barankitse heeft genomen, kan tot voorbeeld dienen voor velen onder ons. Door haar diep menselijke natuur én haar proactieve optreden, slaagt ze erin, zowel in conflict als in postconflict situaties, bruggen te bouwen, die leiden naar een betere toekomst voor die kwetsbare kinderen en jongeren die bij haar niet alleen bescherming zoeken, maar bovendien een opleiding krijgen .

Zo werkt Mevr. Barankitse op haar eigen manier concreet mee aan de realisatie van de millenniumdoelstellingen van de Verenigde Naties.

Nogmaals proficiat!

Ik dank U voor uw aandacht
Merci de votre attention
I thank you for your attention

A day earlier, on the 21st of June Mathilde was in Paris to attend the gathering of the 'advisors group' on Microcredits of the UN. During this meeting the UN emmisaries changed thoughts about the succesfull year of the microcredit and strategies for the future.

Last edited:
does somebody have nice pics to share, it would make me happy:D

Snoepy said:
does somebody have nice pics to share, it would make me happy:D

I haven't been able to find any pictures from the recent events, and I'm really surprised that there are not more pictures from the last gala night. Hopefully there will be pictures from the next gala night.

I found some old pictures instead and hope you like them Snoepy :) (and the rest of you as well ;)).

Attachments

• 0000372155-006.jpg
    0000372155-006.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 000002w.jpg
    000002w.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 359
  • 000012w.jpg
    000012w.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 343
  • 000014w.jpg
    000014w.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 446
  • K103009_14.jpg
    K103009_14.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 0000346419-002.jpg
    0000346419-002.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 0000378959-036.jpg
    0000378959-036.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 0000378508-006.jpg
    0000378508-006.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 422
  • 42-15400861.jpg
    42-15400861.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 330
Hello,

I visited the forum already a few times, but it is de first time I post. It's really a nice forum.

I did have a question and wondered if anyone could answer it. To write to Philippe and Mathilde, what is the addresse?
Thanks!

kate2 said:
Hello,

I did have a question and wondered if anyone could answer it. To write to Philippe and Mathilde, what is the addresse?
Thanks!

Hello Kate!

You can use this address (the official one) for all the members of the Belgian RF including Philippe & Mathilde:

Rue Brederode, 16
1000 Brussels

Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands told that his wife speeks Spanish with her daughter.
I wondered if you think Paola also spoke her native tongue to Philippe, Laurent and Astrid. I've never heard one of them ever speak Italian ...

I know that at least Filip & Astrid speak fluent Italian, so Paola probably spoke it with them. (Albert's Italian is very good too).

When they were children they also often spent their holidays in Italy with the Italian family.

Cathérine,

thank you very much for the information!

From 2000-2005

Attachments

• vilvisitbel0702.jpg
    vilvisitbel0702.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 408
  • wash200405.jpg
    wash200405.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 308
  • verchargaladec03.jpg
    verchargaladec03.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 229
  • stateviswash.jpg
    stateviswash.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 247
  • sept00jap.jpg
    sept00jap.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 209
  • prespolan1004.jpg
    prespolan1004.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 247
  • verchardec2003.jpg
    verchardec2003.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 211
Hannelore said:
I know that at least Filip & Astrid speak fluent Italian, so Paola probably spoke it with them. (Albert's Italian is very good too).

When they were children they also often spent their holidays in Italy with the Italian family.

That's what I also supposed, but it's kinda strange to imagine them with Italian accent 'Cause they all have a french 'r' even when they speek Dutch.
But thanks for sharing thoughts.

New photos from Seeger Press. More to come.

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00142823.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142823.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 185
  • pre-SEEGER00142825.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142825.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 202
  • pre-SEEGER00142824.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142824.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 170
  • pre-SEEGER00142822.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142822.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 302
  • pre-SEEGER00142821.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142821.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 293
  • pre-SEEGER00142820.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142820.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 259
  • pre-SEEGER00142819.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142819.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 206
  • pre-SEEGER00142818.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142818.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 249
  • pre-SEEGER00142817.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142817.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 341
  • pre-SEEGER00142816.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142816.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 321
Here are the rest.

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00142826.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142826.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 202
  • pre-SEEGER00142827.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142827.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 278
  • pre-SEEGER00142828.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142828.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 193
  • pre-SEEGER00142829.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142829.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 219
  • pre-SEEGER00142830.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00142830.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 251
More...

Source: Colourpress

Attachments

• COLOUR10228993.jpg
    COLOUR10228993.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 566
  • COLOUR10228994.jpg
    COLOUR10228994.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 228
  • COLOUR10228995.jpg
    COLOUR10228995.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited by a moderator:
She looks great, so fresh and clean and elegant. This is one princess that has her act together. She will make a beautiful queen one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom