Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde: Current Events Aug 2005-Sep 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
old photos

Philippe & Mathilde at a Belgian gala in New York, 2000.

Attachments

• B95_071361.jpg
    B95_071361.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 198
  • B95_071362.jpg
    B95_071362.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 284
  • B95_071363.jpg
    B95_071363.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 201
  • B95_071364.jpg
    B95_071364.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 202
  • B95_071365.jpg
    B95_071365.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 254
  • B95_071367.jpg
    B95_071367.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 811
Is there a calendar of upcoming duties for Prince Phillipe and Princess Mathilde?

Is Princess Mathilde on maternity leave from now on?

she looks gorgeous, very elegant...that red suits her perfectly

LadyS said:
Is there a calendar of upcoming duties for Prince Phillipe and Princess Mathilde?

Is Princess Mathilde on maternity leave from now on?

The royal family will get back to work in September (their holidays coincide with the children's school holidays).

We'll certainly see Philippe & Mathilde take Elisabeth back to school on the 1st of September.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
old photo of Philippe and Cristina of Spain (ANP)
So cute! Do you know the year?

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
The royal family will get back to work in September (their holidays coincide with the children's school holidays).

We'll certainly see Philippe & Mathilde take Elisabeth back to school on the 1st of September.

Thanks for the info

I don't visit these forums often, when is Mathilde's baby due? Just wondering!!

Last edited by a moderator:
princess Mathilde in Brussels on the national day

Attachments

• math[1].bmp
    190.8 KB · Views: 201
Mathilde on a visit somewhere in Flanders

Attachments

• prinsesmathilde-groot.jpg
    prinsesmathilde-groot.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 411
kelly9480 said:
October, IIRC.

You're right. Wouldn't it be interesting if the new baby was born on Princess Elisabeth's birthday?

No, it woud't be nice for Elisa, having to share her special day, sort of like having your birthday on Christmas.
I think it's quite probable the baby will be born in September, Elisabeth was anounced for November and Gabriel for September so ....

These photos are from June 2005, when Philippe and Mathilde were present at the 2nd gala dinner of the Belgian trade commision, to celebrate the 175th anniversary of Belgium.

Attachments

• JJD_2336.jpeg
    JJD_2336.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 267
  • JJD_2341.jpeg
    JJD_2341.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 215
  • JJD_2340.jpeg
    JJD_2340.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 278
  • JJD_2339.jpeg
    JJD_2339.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 255
  • JJD_2338.jpeg
    JJD_2338.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 349
  • JJD_2337.jpeg
    JJD_2337.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 215
  • JJD_2333.jpeg
    JJD_2333.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 210
  • JJD_2332.jpeg
    JJD_2332.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 321
  • JJD_2331.jpeg
    JJD_2331.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 207
  • JJD_2330.jpeg
    JJD_2330.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 213
23 June 2005: Mathilde hands out the Nansen Award

Royal Nansen Refugee Award for "Angel of Burundi"

BRUSSELS, June 23 (UNHCR) – Marguerite Barankitse, known to many as "the Angel of Burundi" for her tireless work on behalf of children affected by war, poverty and disease, received the 2005 Nansen Refugee Award last night at a ceremony in Brussels. The Nansen medal was presented by H.R.H. Princess Mathilde of Belgium and UN Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees Wendy Chamberlin.

The Deputy High Commissioner applauded Barankitse's contribution to building a more peaceful world by teaching children of all ethnic origins that co-existence is possible. "Throughout her work with her organisation, Maison Shalom, Marguerite Barankitse sends a message of hope for the future," said Chamberlin. "Her actions are clear evidence that individual courage and commitment can make a difference in our world."

High Commissioner António Guterres, who was on mission in Uganda, sent a videotaped message congratulating Barankitse with the award: "Your story is a shining example to those who may have lost everything that there are still wonderful people in this world who deeply care about others."

Accepting the award, Barankitse said her work was inspired by one single goal: peace. "Accept your fellow man, sit down together, make this world a world of brothers and sisters," she said.

Barankitse, a Burundian Tutsi, was spurred to action in October 1993, when civil war broke out in Burundi. She had already adopted seven Hutu and Tutsi children. When all of them survived the massacres, she decided to devote herself to saving the lives of other children.

"I never expected that the bloodshed would last so long," she told journalists at a press conference. "I felt such an immense anger, I wanted to stop this violence by all means." Among the many people she helped were Burundian refugees returning to their country after a long exile in Tanzania.

Barankitse opened three centres for traumatized and orphan children and has assisted over 10,000 children since then. "Educating children for peace can save the world," she said. She is driven by an intense belief in mankind and in the power of love: "Nothing resists love, that's the message that I want to spread."

H.R.H. Princess Mathilde warmly congratulated Barankitse, whom she described as "an exceptional woman, guided by courage and determination, but mostly by her love for children and young people, regardless of race, ethnic origin or gender. All children, refugees and others, are welcome in the home of Maison Shalom."

Princess Mathilde reminded the audience that poverty reduction, which lies at the heart of the UN's Millennium Development Goals, is key to building a better world for all children. "UNHCR contributes to the eradication of poverty by searching for durable solutions to the refugee problem. It gives refugees the means to escape dependency on humanitarian aid and to become self-reliant whether in exile or upon return to their own country."

Finding durable solutions also lies at the heart of Barankitse's work for children, the Princess said. "What I find most impressive is that she searches for durable solutions to integrate these children in their host country or in their country of origin, thus contributing to development in the broadest sense."

The Nansen award ceremony took place in the heart of the capital of Europe, at Concert Noble, an elegant historical venue built in 1873 during the reign of King Leopold II. The ceremony and the reception that followed were sponsored by UNHCR's corporate partner, Microsoft EMEA. The participation of Princess Mathilde, who is a special emissary for the International Year of Microcredit (2005), was further evidence of her long-standing commitment to activities on behalf of children and other vulnerable people.

Belgium's Minister for Development Co-operation Armand De Decker and European Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid Louis Michel paid tribute to Barankitse and the work of Maison Shalom and spoke of the importance of peace and development in Africa's Great Lakes region.

Renowned Burundian singer Khadja Nin recalled her long friendship with Barankitse, going back to their school days. Congolese refugee and comedian Pie Tshibanda offered her an old Congolese lullaby: "If ever your children cannot sleep, you can sing this for them." The whole audience joined in as the stately Concert Noble resounded to the rhythm of an age-old African chant for Barankitse.

French singer and UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Julien Clerc expressed his admiration for Barankitse: "I salute your courage to confront the murderous frenzy, as well as the courage of refugees to regain control of their lives and to offer their children hope for a better future." Award-winning British photographer Stuart Freedom contributed an exhibition of his striking photographs of Barankitse and her children.

With typical modesty, Barankitse refused to take credit for her achievements. "This isn't my work, it's the work of the children: they should have been standing here in my place. They have given me the joy to live and realize my dreams."

The appreciation given through the Nansen Refugee Award is an important moral support for her, she told journalists. In addition to the award, she received a prize of US$100,000 to help pursue her projects to help children.

"I'm going to build a maternity clinic in Ruyigi, so that young women will receive instruction and hygiene care in order to prevent mothers dying at birth. In this way, we can stop babies becoming orphans!" she said.

Created in 1954, the Nansen Refugee Award is named after Fridtjof Nansen, the Norwegian explorer who was the League of Nations' High Commissioner for Refugees. As such, he was the world's first international refugee official. The prize is given annually to individuals or organizations to honour distinguished service in the cause of refugees. Last year's prize went to the Russian non-governmental organisation, Memorial Human Rights Center. The winner is selected each year by a Committee composed of the governments of Norway and Switzerland, UNHCR, the Council of Europe and the International Council of Voluntary Agencies. By Judith Kumin, Diederik Kramers, in Brussels

Attachments

• 5-image.jpeg
    5-image.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 3-image.jpeg
    3-image.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 313
  • 6-image.jpeg
    6-image.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 357
  • graphic.jpeg
    graphic.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 272
March 2005 : Philippe and Mathilde visit the village Colfontaine.

Attachments

• photo2.jpeg
    photo2.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 212
  • photo8.jpeg
    photo8.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 274
  • photo7.jpeg
    photo7.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 261
  • photo6.jpeg
    photo6.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 291
  • photo3.jpeg
    photo3.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 282
  • photo1.jpeg
    photo1.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 246
  • logement.jpeg
    logement.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 231
  • photo5.jpeg
    photo5.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 265
September 5, 2005.

Prince Filip at the opening of the diplomatic days, where a lot of polticians, the Belgian diplomats and important clubs meet. (Belga)

Attachments

• p3339064.jpeg
    p3339064.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 279
  • p3339065.jpeg
    p3339065.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 242
Some older pictures: Princess Mathilde visits an international seminar in the Egmont Palace, March 31st, 2003:

Attachments

• preview7.jpg
    preview7.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 185
  • preview8.jpg
    preview8.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 198
  • preview6.jpg
    preview6.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 252
  • preview5.jpg
    preview5.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 261
  • preview4.jpg
    preview4.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 195
  • preview3.jpg
    preview3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 271
  • preview2.jpg
    preview2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 220
  • preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 198
As it would be a shame to delete these wonderful photos, I would like to remind all members to please credit all posted photos!!!

Lyonnaise
TRF Moderator

The pics Jelka posted are from ISOPIX, which is clearly readable ;)

Thanks Jelka, they're beautiful!! Mathilde looked smashing - I really like her hair that length (even a bit shorter too). Great to see the Egmont palace from the inside as well.
One question, do you know which seminar she attended?

I've found it in Dutch on the Monarchy site Hannelore, I hope you can translate it for me:

Internationaal seminarie in het Egmontpaleis te Brussel, over een geïntegreerd “Partner-en Gezinsbeleid” voor de agenten van de buitenlandse carrières van de Federale Overheidsdienst (FOD) Buitenlandse Zaken, Buitenlandse Handel en Ontwikkelingssamenwerking.
Tijdens zendingen in het buitenland wordt Prinses Mathilde geconfronteerd met de specificiteit van de job en met de wensen en verwachtingen van de agenten en hun partner.
Dit seminarie laat de Prinses toe zich grondig te informeren over dit vraagstuk aan de hand van de ervaringen van de gastsprekers enerzijds en de inbreng van de ambtenaren van de FOD en hun partner anderzijds. Prinses Mathilde toont aldus haar interesse voor de uitwerking van een coherent gezinsbeleid terzake.

Last edited:
Some older pictures from Isopix: Princess Mathilde during a roundtabel about breastcancer, April 4th, 2003:

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 196
  • preview2.jpg
    preview2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 231
  • preview3.jpg
    preview3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 216
  • preview4.jpg
    preview4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 275
  • preview12.jpg
    preview12.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 279
  • preview11.jpg
    preview11.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 230
  • preview7.jpg
    preview7.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 213
  • preview5.jpg
    preview5.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 193
  • preview9.jpg
    preview9.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 229
  • preview6.jpg
    preview6.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 180
Princess Mathilde always looks so beautiful and elegant!

that orange-red color looks fantastic on her. It really complements her coloring.

hmm...I dont know if I prefer her with her hair up or down...thought?

well, the hair down makes her look younger, but the hair up looks very nice too

Jelka said:
I've found it in Dutch on the Monarchy site Hannelore, I hope you can translate it for me:

Internationaal seminarie in het Egmontpaleis te Brussel, over een geïntegreerd “Partner-en Gezinsbeleid” voor de agenten van de buitenlandse carrières van de Federale Overheidsdienst (FOD) Buitenlandse Zaken, Buitenlandse Handel en Ontwikkelingssamenwerking.
Tijdens zendingen in het buitenland wordt Prinses Mathilde geconfronteerd met de specificiteit van de job en met de wensen en verwachtingen van de agenten en hun partner.
Dit seminarie laat de Prinses toe zich grondig te informeren over dit vraagstuk aan de hand van de ervaringen van de gastsprekers enerzijds en de inbreng van de ambtenaren van de FOD en hun partner anderzijds. Prinses Mathilde toont aldus haar interesse voor de uitwerking van een coherent gezinsbeleid terzake.

Thanks for the effort Jelka, here's the translation:

"International seminar at the Egmont palace in Brussels, about an integrated "partner- and family policy" for people with international carreers (people working for the Federal Government Services (FGS), Foreign Office, International Trade and Foreign Aid).

During her missions abroad princess Mathilde is frequently confronted with the special affinities of these jobs, and the wishes and expectations these "foreign agents" and their partners have.

This seminar allows the Princess to inform herself thoroughly on this subject, by means of the experiences host talkers have had, and by the input of the emloyees of the FGS and their partners. This way Princess Mathilde whishes to show her concern for the development of a coherent familypolicy for those with intenational carreers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom