Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 1: July 2011 - December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, as a non French Person with Little French language skills I have to say, that French is a very difficult language to learn.

- First the grammar - ufff, really difficult, every noun is male or female (whereas english is always "neutral")
- Second the accents on some words, i.e / will be written & pronounced differently than \ and often has a diffrent meaning (also not existing in english language)
- Third the pronounciation: French sounds extremly well and soft spoken by a native Speaker, but: it sometimes may Sound like "Scratching a nail on a blackboard" for a foreigner, who does not have good pronounciation skills - which is btw not only "Goodwill", but also a "tongue issue".

So yes, I feel sorry for Charlene, this is a hard piece of work for her. Nevertheless I am also of the opinion, that she MUST learn the language of her new Country.

Bye Bine

I watched just the first few minutes of the video and saw the Princess "roll her eyes" twice - but it seemed to me to be done in a self-deprecating manner; my French isn't good enough to follow the translation which covered the sound of her English speaking but I still felt this mannerism was more to do with her modesty or shyness than anything else.

Last edited:
What a disappointment, an "interview", which in fact is another travel program, could well be done by Albert's PR people.

What a disappointment, an "interview", which in fact is another travel program, could well be done by Albert's PR people.

Well, it probably was... P.Albert rules this country in a way very few monarchs do nowadays, and can shape the people's "opinion" in a way he likes :flowers:
Apparently he does not find it necessary for his wife to be fluent in french, otherwise she would have been by now
(in another thread people have mentioned that royals are starting to be more like 'regular citizens' and that the 'mystique' is lost....well, imo in Monaco this is not the case)

The title of Monaco Matin

Pari gagné pour Cyril Viguier avec le documentaire sur Monaco | Dernière minute | Monaco-Matin

Translation resume Pari required to C Viguier for his documentary. the documentary . the documentary wired on friday at 11. 30pm achieved 8% from the marche. Normally, at this rime and later in the evening the second part of the evening realizes only 3% 4%. The documentary will be aired again on january 4th;

This morning on twitter all the comments say that the most beautiful part is the swimming and the dance of the princely couple in the water. the comments say also that Charlene is at ease and happy in the interviews.

How can you judge and critic Charlene and the documentary. YOU ONLY WATCH THE 2 PARTS and NOT THE END OF THE DOCUMENTARY, in the third part, there are two other interviews of Charlene wich are more long than the one you saw in the first part. There is the scene of Charlene and Albert visiting the Palleos and there is the scene where Albert and Charlene are swimming and dancing in the water. Charlene spoke about the fact that they love the oceans and they defend them and the environement. she spoke also of her foundation because she want to avoid the deaths of children in the water. She spoke with many emotion.
Please wait to see the end judge by yourself and do not critic before the end.

Cyril Viguier began his documentary in february, he wanted to show the persons who live in monaco, it was not a publicity for the princely couple but he asked an interview of Albert and Charlene and Stephanie at the end of november. Palace answered yes for Albert and later on december yes for Charlene. Cyril Viguier wanted to show all in monaco in very small time this documentary lasts only one hour and 44mn. He said yesterday that he cuts in the interview of all the persons who are in the documentary but he will do a documentary about Charlene because he wants to show her personality. He found a person very natural, modern and who said she wants to deserve her new native land.

there is also a very quick interview of Princess Stephanie. I understand the desappointement of many of you. This documenraty do not speak about Caroline and other. just very quickly at the end with some photos of Caroline and charlotte but you did not see yet the end.

Ok, as a non French Person with Little French language skills I have to say, that French is a very difficult language to learn.

- Third the pronounciation: French sounds extremly well and soft spoken by a native Speaker, but: it sometimes may Sound like "Scratching a nail on a blackboard" for a foreigner, who does not have good pronounciation skills - which is btw not only "Goodwill", but also a "tongue issue".

hello bine,

greetings to "italy's most northern town".:flowers:

while i understand the 'tongue issue' because not everybody has a talent for speaking foreign languages, i think it's a second grade problem.

just think of henry kissinger who throughout his whole life has been speaking english with some german accent, yet he not only became a professor lecturing at numerous universities, but - as we all know - secretary of state of the US.

one thing i can't understand about your above posting - problems with male and female nouns. in german we have also the neutral ones, 'die saechlichen' ;).

i recommend mark twains famous travel notes dealing with him experiencing german grammar - too funny, his reflections on 'das maedchen' = 'the girl' = neutral gender vs. 'die ruebe' = 'the turnip' = female gender.

Please wait the end of the documentary, it is the most important part of this video, two intervoews of Charlene, a interview and a report of Stéphanie about her association fightaids and some images of Caroline and charlotte at the bal de la rose and at the jumping.

Albert spoke a lot in this documentary, I know there are many persons who are intelligent and spoke very well many languages but i will say you that Albert spoke about the good relations between france and Monaco, about the extention of Monaco, the econmiebut he does not speak a lot about the environement., he let Charlene speaking about the enveronement. He speaks also about the charities that his parents did and that his family goes on.

Personaly, i learned english and german in gymnasium many decades ago. my english is the worst here in Royal Forum when I am writting here, I am never sure that persons could understand what I am writting here . but when I visited Washington and Boston last september , I speak in english to the persons, very simples words to be understood. and it was enough . I read and I understand very well english and german. i will be unable to give an interview in my native language as princess Charlene and other princesses because I am never confortable in a interview and giving a interview in english will be for me impossible. Also I will never give any lessons to a person or to any princesses or queens because i am myself unable to do what they are doing. There is a saying in french which says ' ask never to a person what you are unable to do' and on this board I am sure that persons are giving lessons and they are also unable to do what they are asking to some persons.

Is it me or something is wrong with the doc in youtube? some parts seem cut and Charlene appeared just for 3 minutes and talikng about Monaco and NOT her foundation... At least on you tube. She appears only in the firrst video

Melina, I saw the documentary live. Yes, Charlene did a small part. There was more about Monaco and France than Charlene and it was billed as a MAJOR Charlene interview. Not once is her voice heard. Albert was more interviewed than her.

This was a pr piece and not about Charlene (although it was said to be so) or even dedicated to her. I have not seen what is on youtube from my mobile but I am sure it is enough to show that the majority of the time was not spent with Charlene!! It was like she was an afterthought at the very end. She got top billing with little appearance. I for one was eager to see HER and hear about HER as it looks as if she had finally gotten comfortable. Total Disappointment.

My criticism remains, she can still not speak the language of her adopted home, where she volunteered to be First Lady. They are her FIRST priority. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH CAROLINE. I for one did not expect to see her. I saw no one else who did either. It is simply appalling that when anyone criticizes Charlene Posters dismiss them as being in favour of Caroline or her brood and make viscous side comments about Caroline and her children in the next breath.

In total there was little 'interview' with Charlene. It ran like a car salesman trying to sell how "real their marriage is" and how "happy they are" and how glamorous monaco is. If you have to repeatedly try to sell it, you doth protest too much. The palace needs to write a new script.

It's wonderful about her work with children, I admire her for it. It is touching that she shares causes with Albert and can speak on his concerns just as passionately.

Charlene is not us. She has responsibility with her fame and power. It is not to be a fashion princess, or get a Starbucks open. This is the most basic part of her job, communication. If I could not do the basic part of my job, I would be fired. The same with Mary or Maxima or Charlene.

If criticism and discussion is one sided, like the law on talking about the sovereign family in Monaco, there can be no dialogue. If it is okay to discuss any other royal, including Caroline and her children, Charlene should not be immune.

Last edited:
Can someone repost the links that are on youtube?

I think that we can let the persons judging by themselves in seeing the entire documentory and don't give our own impressions before theat the persons could judge . They could give after their feelings.

Well, if the 'petit pois' can deal with it ... :lol:

The thing is that when a 'regular' person like myself tries to speak a foreign language others often appreciate the effort and don't mind the errors too much (i myself went to a restaurant in Paris and said 'I have eaten, please' (in french obviously), but obviously the waiter just took my "manger" and "s'il vous plait" and gave me a menu :flowers:)
However, when you have to do it professionally (like P.Charlene) that's quite something else and it isn't enough to just try a few words...
That's why i don't think it matters that much to P.Albert; if it had she would be fluent by now

But as Melina Premiere mentioned that there is more to the documentary maybe the rest will give us a better perspective?

as for the last part of the interview, i doubt revelations that will evoke jumpy claps from my side, but until then i'll give her the benefit of doubt. afterwards i won't. LOL. there'll be a re-run some time in january, it seems.

i think albert simply has given up on that topic, since the efforts seem to lead nowhere. the palace issued a statement recently in connection with this or some other interview about the princess having "decided to take a secondary role in the communication plan of the principality". that says is all, doesn't it? plus it can be very convenient if your wife doesn't understand all the conversations going on :lol:.

as for delivering speeches / doing presentations etc. / just doing one's normal job every day at the office in a foreign language: i've been doing exactly that since some 2 decades now, mainly in english, partly in french, partly in my mother tongue german.

so i guess i DO know what it's all about, that's why i know it CAN be mastered if one really makes the effort. anything else is just a poor excuse or one is the wrong person for the job.

i can only second 'booing's' statement that one cannot compare us 'normal posters' to any 'consort' of some kind, be it the sovereign's or heir's to the throne. these ladies know what is being expected and they should ask themselves in advance if they can master these tasks or not.

BTW, since you're from the NLs: i loved watching W-A's coronation celebrations and understood parts of the comments. dutch and german share quite some vocabulary!

How can the persons judge if they are seeing only the two parts. We only see Charlene speaking in the first when she is saying that the people love them , when she saw persons she knew when she is in car she says them 'bonjour' . She says her duty is not to receive but her duty is to give. ( I resume) and the second part stopped when they arrived at the Palleos. and it stopped when Albert went out the car. I hear very well her voice.
This documentary was not dedicated to her it was to show the persons who live in Monaco . Now you can think what you want, I found Charlene very well and I am free to say my feelings as other do it here.

How can the persons judge if they are seeing only the two parts. We only see Charlene speaking in the first when she is saying that the people love them , when she saw persons she knew when she is in car she says them 'bonjour' . She says her duty is not to receive but her duty is to give. ( I resume) and the second part stopped when they arrived at the Palleos. and it stopped when Albert went out the car. I hear very well her voice.
This documentary was not dedicated to her it was to show the persons who live in Monaco . Now you can think what you want, I found Charlene very well and I am free to say my feelings as other do it here.

If that is the case, it should not have received such media coverage as a rare "interview with Charlene!" The hype by the station and palace raised expectations.

Learning french would be a great gift to the people. It is her duty as consort.

As far as asking us to not comment until others make their own judgement, that is not how the internet works. We are in real time. It is assumed they will catch up.

Last edited:
Here is the interview of Cyril Viguier. He did not speak only about princess Charlene but also about the other persons he wanted to show in his documentory. But each time he came to speak about his documentory, it was the same Question of the repoters ' you met princess Charlene how it happens , how she is? and so... the palace did not do the publicity, only the governement, and the medias 'Monaco Matin and Monaco Channel" My owns feelings are that Charlene was very at ease in the interviews.

Programmes TV - Cyril Viguier : «Charlène de Monaco est très cash» - Télévision - Le Figaro TV

Here are the traductions

Has is it been difficult to get an appointment whith Princess Charlene?

Yes, it was , the princess decided to take a reserved role in the communication of the principality.

Have you felt that she was held by the service of press

No, she is not in the impoundment, she pushs the rules she is a modern princess and she is a remendous asset of a principallity.

and so...

Happily she took a reserved role because here , many don't bare she is a princess consort and if she decided to take the first role which is the role of his husband , what have we read here? in this documentary, it is normal Albert spoke a lot he is the sovereign? Charlene is only his wife. but they are the persons who spoke more than the other people, they are the princely couple as the documentary said it at the end

We only see Charlene speaking in the first when she is saying that the people love them , when she saw persons she knew when she is in car she says them 'bonjour' .

let's hope she will make fast progress in learning french so some day in the future she shall be able to greet them with a heartfelt 'bon soir' after 6 P.M.

:D

Last edited:
I have just watched the first two sections on You Tube - can't see that a third part has been uploaded yet. Although I always like looking at pretty pics of Monaco :) I was disappointed how little Charlene appeared in the documentary. However,I do think it is wrong to come to any conclusions until it has been viewed to the end. I did think the focus was a little too much on real estate /commerce. Perhaps the final sections redress the balance more.

There may be valid reasons why Charlene is struggling with picking up French.

The average human brain is hard wired to pick up languages very quickly until about 6-8 years of age. Then for most of us, information carrying channels close up and it becomes much harder work. As with all things in the brain the degree of difficulty for cognitive acts differs from person to person.

For some, mechanical or engineering imagery is easy and for others it's a real task. Ditto with understanding math, music and other cognitive skills including the ability to learn languages as an adult.

We used to call people that lacked common skills DUMB, but we have learned that all people have their own areas of cognitive weakness.

It may have nothing to do with Charlene's desire and everything to do with her cognitive profile.

One of my weakness is in facial and name recognition. I don't recognize people very easily - and if I do, I have certainly forgotten their name. It's not that I am rude or uncaring - it's that I am solidly bad at the skill. I have tried to fix it - but with little success.

I guess I'd ask each of you what cognitive challenges are difficult for you? Or for one of your children? Then I'd ask if you still want to pick up those stones to throw at Charlene?

Well, this is not about perfection. Anyone can learn french, especially with the tutoring at hand that Charlene will have, I agree that it will be more difficult as an adult, some are more talented or have an affinity than others. But how the wife of a head of state gets away with not being able to converse in the language of the country she is supposed to represent is beyond me. I am not talking about having difficulties with accent or grammar mistakes here, its about basic communication. It should have been a non-issue when the wedding took place.

I really like Charlene, but the lack of french is inexcusable.

I have a friend who used to live in South Africa, and whilst she was at school, she wasn't taught French at all. She started learning French when she moved to England. Perhaps this is the case with Charlene. Also, I find French quite difficult to learn (I've been studying the language for 7 + years and still haven't mastered it!); Charlene could be the same.

That said, I think Charlene could at least try out an evening class or tutor in French to learn a few useful phrases and sentences. If she ever has a child, it would be practical to be able to speak the language so she could pass it on to him/her, as they will one day become the Prince/Princess of Monaco and I think it's respectable to understand the language of the country you're reigning over.

Last edited:
I have a friend who used to live in South Africa, and whilst she was at school, she wasn't taught French at all. She started learning French when she moved to England. Perhaps this is the case with Charlene. Also, I find French quite difficult to learn (I've been studying the language for 7 + years and still haven't mastered it!); Charlene could be the same.

That said, I think Charlene could at least try out an evening class or tutor in French to learn a few useful phrases and sentences. If she ever has a child, it would be practical to be able to speak the language so she could pass it on to him/her, as they will one day become the Prince/Princess of Monaco and I think it's respectable to understand the language of the country you're reigning over.

Thank you for your explanations and the opposite of usual stereotypes. I've thought for a long time that British people speak French nearly as a native language, and that French people speak English perfectly.

In fact, it is not so easy. For me French is quite easy (but not very!) language to acquire. Personally, I find German and other Nordic languages quite hard to learn. There is also a psychological factor. Some people speak quickly, with just a few mistakes or despite a bad vocabulary and grammar. The others instead are afraid of being laughed or experienced some unpleasant moments previously.

I am sure of one thing:Charlene will speak French faster if she gives birth to a child.

There may be valid reasons why Charlene is struggling with picking up French.

The average human brain is hard wired to pick up languages very quickly until about 6-8 years of age. Then for most of us, information carrying channels close up and it becomes much harder work. As with all things in the brain the degree of difficulty for cognitive acts differs from person to person.

For some, mechanical or engineering imagery is easy and for others it's a real task. Ditto with understanding math, music and other cognitive skills including the ability to learn languages as an adult.

We used to call people that lacked common skills DUMB, but we have learned that all people have their own areas of cognitive weakness.

It may have nothing to do with Charlene's desire and everything to do with her cognitive profile.

One of my weakness is in facial and name recognition. I don't recognize people very easily - and if I do, I have certainly forgotten their name. It's not that I am rude or uncaring - it's that I am solidly bad at the skill. I have tried to fix it - but with little success.

I guess I'd ask each of you what cognitive challenges are difficult for you? Or for one of your children? Then I'd ask if you still want to pick up those stones to throw at Charlene?

Really?!?! You're assuming that Charlene has cognitive dissonances that impede her learning French?? I feel I've stepped through the looking glass.

Really?!?! You're assuming that Charlene has cognitive dissonances that impede her learning French?? I feel I've stepped through the looking glass.

That is just as valid an argument as those who say she is just lazy.

Sorry to repeat but I studied French for 6 years (11-17) and I just couldn't grasp it enough to speak. I am neither lazy nor stupid. Many years on and as a regular visitor to France, I can read it and understand what people say (although some regional accents are really difficult, especially in the south). But I struggle to speak it.

Maybe the real difference with posts on here is that some prefer to be more positive.

Also, I find French quite difficult to learn (I've been studying the language for 7 + years and still haven't mastered it!); Charlene could be the same.
regardless the talent for languages, if one lives in a country, is surrounded by native speakers and listens to / hears it 24 hours a day, watches TV, it's rather easy. it just comes naturally.

Last edited:
AdmirerUS, you make some valid points. I agree completely that she should make an effort at least to master and speak French. But that is just the point...we have no way of being sure how much time and effort she puts into trying to learn. Maybe she puts in a lot of effort, but finds it difficult, as AdmirerUS suggested. Following that we also don't know how much French the Princess actually speaks when among the ordinary citizens of Monaco. Melina P posted that she greets them with a "bonjour", maybe more conversation follows that. It will certainly be easier in a casual situation than sitting down for an interview that is being filmed!

But we really don't know the true situation, unless someone with inside knowledge can give us a clearer picture.

regardless the talent for languages, if one lives in a country, is surrounded by native speakers and listens to / hears it 24 hours a day, watches TV, it's rather easy. it just comes naturally.

I think you mean it comes easy for most people. But for some people, that's just not true. There's real science behind it.

I speak many words of many languages. I can figure out what is being said (if people speak slowly enough) some of the time - and I can figure out foreign phrases when I read them. And I am a dab hand at accents. But I am only fluent in English. It's the grammar that gets me!

But I wonder how many people can see the graphs that I see in my head when I look at equations? I wonder how many people can flip a structure upside down in their head and draw it quickly.

Answering to Booing, Monaco Matin spoke about the fact that Charlene was admiring N Mandela; Monaco Matin and monaco channel spoke about the documentary because C Viguier spoke about Monaco. it is simple. But I don't understand why the palace would not be agreed with the publicity about the princess Charlene, she is the princess consort and she answered in english but she answered very well in the interviews, and this morning ' Monaco Matin' wrotte that many people watched the documentary there will be other interviews the next year you must be used.

I think you mean it comes easy for most people. But for some people, that's just not true. There's real science behind it.

I speak many words of many languages. I can figure out what is being said (if people speak slowly enough) some of the time - and I can figure out foreign phrases when I read them. And I am a dab hand at accents. But I am only fluent in English. It's the grammar that gets me!

But I wonder how many people can see the graphs that I see in my head when I look at equations? I wonder how many people can flip a structure upside down in their head and draw it quickly.

oh, i DO get your points! the thing is just:

if one's not good in languages, one should not work as an interpreter while the UNO debates deal with alleged actions in the ABC sectors by rogue regimes.

if one's not good in calculating structures or basic physics, one should not run a deconstruction company, letting skyscrapers implode.

if one's not able to master the 2 or 3 main duties of a first lady .....

Booing, you say you are living in France but you do not know much than other persons who live in foreign lands. I lived during my youth in Nice and all my family live in Nice, My sister in law is married with a resident in Monaco. it is not true to say thet the people cannot crittc the prince and his family. They can critic but not insulting. The man who was insulting the prince on facebook had to pay 3000 euros but the people are free to critic, it is not a dictature. You repeat what you are reading . princess Charlene visited the schools and college in september and she spoke with the children in french . There is no proove of you are saying what happens in the colleges or in the schools. it is yet lies that persons who don't like Charlene repeat on the sites to proove that she is not speaking french. to the children.

Here is the proove that she speaks a little in french when she is with persons , it is little but I show you how it happens. I wait fot the proove that she did not speak a lirrle in french to the young children. As I am saying , it is little but it was in may 2012. i hope she has done does progress since the GP.

Vido Zone interdite : Intimit et pouvoir : un an dans la vie du Prince Albert de Monaco ! - M6

A another video of the couple inauguring the 'conseil d'etat, at the end we see Charlene speaking with children but don't know if it is in french or english. i don't know how to read on the lipps of the person.

Vido Zone interdite : Vido bonus : Le Prince Albert et la Princesse Charlne l'inauguration du Conseil d'Etat Mongasque. - M6

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom