The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Royal Highness

Caroline attended a performance of Madame Butterfly on February 3rd at the Royal Opera House, in Monte Carlo....

...with Andrea Boccelli

photos from: Rex Features

Old 02-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hey cool pics.... :) ...Especially where Ernstie has his arms around Caro ....am´nd the other guy.....lol

I absolutely have know idea wehere this is....but I guess it is most likely somewhere in Austria.

Michelle

Hey...got some older pics of the family in the snow.....-->

Andy 2002 (in Zurs)

Steph and Camille....

...in my fav skiing place Auron / France
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andrea_in_zuers_february.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2608   Click image for larger version

Name:	learning2ski.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2609  

Old 02-15-2003, 01:30 PM
Courtier

Hi everyone! :)

Princess Caroline is on the cover of the current issue of Point de Vue. The issue is focusing a bit on royal couples and what it is like to fall in love when one is a member of a royal family.

Point de Vue writes:

L'amour frappe toujours à l'improviste. Parfois, ils se sont aimés dès le premier regard. D'autres ont dû traverser des épreuves. Car lorsqu'on appartient aux royautés, il est souvent difficile d'échapper aux règles des alliances dynastiques. Mais les sentiments les sentiments les plus forts savent avoir raison de tout. Quand Cupidon décoche ses flèches...

Love always strikes in an improvising manner. Sometimes there are those who fall in love at first sight. At other times, there are those who must go through many test/trials for love. When one is a royal, it is often difficult to escape dynastic rules. But the strongest feelings can be the most right of all. When Cupid strips its arrows....

Photo and Excerpt From: Point de Vue
Old 02-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Hi Galisteo! :)

This issue mentions various things. Here is a list of the table of contents. Charles is mentioned, but it seems the article is pertaining to his recent (and fairly well-publicized) trip to Paris.

2 - ACTUALITE
14 - La semaine de Point de Vue
16 - Laurent de Belgique au Japon
18 - Henri et Maria teresa de Luxembourg au Nicaragua
20 - Frederik de Danemark: la semaine indienne
22 - Beatrix des Pays-Bas se souvient
24 - Charles d'Angleterre, maître de musique
30 - POTINS
32 - REPORTAGES
32 - Vhernier, le joaillier qui ne se prend pas au serieux
36 - Het Huys ten Donk, comme un navire immobile
36 - DEMEURE PRINCIERE
42 - LIVRES
43 - @NEWS
44 - PELE-MELE
46 - H... COMME HISTOIRE
46 - Henri Dunant fonde la Croix-Rouge
48 - Dans l'intimité de Vermeer
48 - AMATEUR D'ART
52 - VOYAGE
52 - Pays Cajun, la Louisiane sauvage
56 - MODE
56 - Le coeur en fête
62 - BEAUTE
62 - Beauté sur mesure
66 - PALAIS GOURMAND
66 - La cuisine océane des Bahamas
68 - MONDE ET VILLE
78 - COURRIER
79 - JEUX

This issue seems to have been put together because of St. Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, I do not possess a copy of the magazine. I have thought about subscribing, but I realized that I really get what I need to know out of what is posted online.

The article is comprised of many photos of royal couples (at least the small excerpt that is available for online viewing). It is difficult to make out of some the photographs, but I definitely recognized the one at the bottom of the page of Maxima and Willem-Alexander (one of the most romantic couples IMO).

Here is the photo:

Photo From: Point de Vue
Old 02-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks Jacqueline! I may have to go out and buy a copy and do some scanning...

Your French translations are perfect as always! Thanks! :)
Old 03-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Here are 2 pics of Caroline with Queen Silvia of Sweden attending an International Fundraiser for Under Priviledged children. I don't know when the photos were taken, but I am guessing in the late 90s.

Caroline's dress is quite elegant but she looks grumpy/somber.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CarolineANdSylvia2.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	3321   Click image for larger version

Name:	CarolineAndSylvia.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	3322  
Old 03-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Majesty

picture from www.ibl.se

Can someone tell us more about this prize?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3335   Click image for larger version

Views:	154
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	3336   Click image for larger version

Views:	142
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	3337  
Old 03-11-2003, 03:29 AM
Royal Highness

On Feb. 14 this column warned a photographer shooting Prince Ernst August von Hannover during a booze-up that he had better be careful, given this great noble's rather nasty habit of assaulting people impertinent enough to take his picture (two convictions). Now, sure enough, he's done it again: The erratic husband of Monaco's Princess Caroline has been accused of assault in Austria, where a local man is demanding damages after alleging that the prince (why do I want to put that word inside quotation marks?) kicked him in the rear during a jet-set party. Needless to say, it wasn't a fellow jet-setter who irritated Ernst August, 48, just a humble sound technician. A little variety for the prince, you see, who was apparently tiring of photographers.

Hmm, Ernst is seemingly not maturing with age.

Can any of our girls tell us what Caroline finds charming in this man?

Snippet from: FAZ.NET
Old 03-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Julia@Mar 11th, 2003 - 7:29 am

Can any of our girls tell us what Caroline finds charming in this man?**

Snippet from: FAZ.NET
Hmmm.....it must be the fact they he is the only man who has been able to chain smoke with her simultaneously. Just Kidding!

I haven't a clue. Maybe she likes the bad-boy, brute that obviously lives inside this "gentleman." (Okay, Julia, I couldn't resist. I had to put gentleman in quotes. It just wouldn't have seemed right otherwise. )

Can we say, "anger management?"
Old 03-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Royal Highness

Hi Jacqueline and galisteo!

When I stop -ing, I'll be able to respond! OMG, you are both hysterical.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
he is the only man who has been able to chain smoke with her simultaneously.
Ok, you are hysterical! And you are so right that this "gentleman" (you started it, Jacqueline :P) needs to familiarize himself with "anger management".
Old 03-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Ernst might make a great reality TV show.

galisteo, you and Jacqueline have me in stitches. That may be one of the funniest things I have heard.

I can see what you are saying about possible encouragement, but if it is encouragement it must come from his male friends. I cannot see Caroline enjoying the spectacle of Ernst kicking some poor techie in the rear.

I agree that Caroline is keeping up appearances because of Alexandra, but you are right: be very careful what you wish for!
Old 03-13-2003, 04:08 AM
Royal Highness

That is a very good point. If Ernst is prone to physical violence in public does this occur in private as well? I cannot imagine Caroline putting up with that kind of behavior. What do you and everyone else think?
Old 03-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Courtier

I don't think that Caroline would put up with that kind of behavior. But, I would tend to believe that he most likely has tantrums at home and probably does yell and maybe even throw a few things. He really behaves like a brat at times IMO.

I guess that one never knows. I have a few friends that are basically good people, but that are prone to outbursts-you know the type they are as sweet as possible, but if you push then to far...look out...they completely forget who they are and where they are.... :o ! I am not saying that Ernst is sweet , but I wonder if it is merely certain situations and types of individuals that really set him off? He may be perfectly fine in his own world at home with his family. I am sure that he is probably a bit of a jerk at times even then, but Caroline and the children may not aggravate him in such a way as others do.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:06 PM
Nobility

I've noticed that Caroline aged in a hurry after she married Ernst. Maybe she would have anyway, it just seemed to accelerate the natural process I thought. She looks more stressed too.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by thissal@Mar 15th, 2003 - 6:06 pm
I've noticed that Caroline aged in a hurry after she married Ernst.  Maybe she would have anyway, it just seemed to accelerate the natural process I thought.  She looks more stressed too.
Hello Thissal.

I noticed the same thing. I am not sure if it has to do with smoking, the sun, or life with Ernst. But, I am sure that his outbursts and the stress of the situation at times certainly doesn't help. Some of my friends say that it is merely the smoking that has taken it's toll on her, but Caroline has been an avid smoker for years and has always looked wonderful. I wonder if it could be the stress of being married to Ernst and his temper?
Old 03-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Gentry

I think caroline finds in Ernst security and of course the royal status. She is Royal Highness. Before him she had a pretty quiet life. Vacation in Zurich, Saint Moritz, Kenya. He opened her door to the world of high aristocrats. She is no more the soap princess. And of course she thinks about her children.
Caroline she is like him. But she can fide her feelings better.
Looking at their recent pictures they do not seem in love, they look bored. :P
Old 03-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Royal Highness

Hey thissal,

Caroline does seemed to have aged since marrying Ernst. I have often wondered if it had to do with tolerating his sophomoric behavior, not really being in love w/ him, or perhaps years of smoking and sunning finally caught up with her. They married in, what, 1999? Not long ago and she seems to have aged years. I have noticed that she has looked more "thrown together" at events (have you or anyone else noticed this?). Maybe having 4 children has something to do with as well. I am sure she is worried about Andrea and Charlotte and their futures (as any mum would be).
Old 03-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

UIC prof takes on quackery

from staff reports
March 26, 2003

Purveyors of snake oil haven't disappeared with old fashioned carnival wagons and the education of the general populace. They've just shed their old skin.

This is the message broadcast by the second annual "Silver Fleece" Awards, a lighthearted effort to make the public aware of anti-aging quackery, which was announced earlier this month.

Noted aging expert and author S. Jay Olshansky announced the winners as part of a presentation in Chicago at the Joint Conference of The National Council on the Aging and the American Society on Aging in which he participated in a debate on the topic of anti-aging medicine.

Olshansky, professor of epidemiology at the UIC School of Public Health, presented two awards, one for a product and one to an organization, that he said "make the most outrageous or exaggerated claims about human aging."

The award -- a bottle of vegetable oil labeled "Snake Oil" -- was presented (in absentia) to each award winner.

The awardees were selected by three leading scientists in the field of aging: Olshansky; Leonard Hayflick of the University of California, San Francisco; and Bruce Carnes of the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago. Olshansky and Carnes are authors of "The Quest for Immortality: Science at the Frontiers of Aging" (Norton, 2001). Hayflick is author of "How and Why We Age" (Ballantine, 1996).

And the winners are:

The Silver Fleece Award for an Anti-Aging Product goes to a substance known simply as Longevity, which is being sold on the Internet by Urban Nutrition Inc. On its web site, www.findlongevitynow.com, Urban Nutrition states that Longevity includes as its primary component 2-AEP, which "was originally discovered and patented by world-renowned Doctor, Scientist and Physicist, Hans A. Nieper, M.D."

This award is given to "the product with the most ridiculous, outrageous, scientifically unsupported or exaggerated assertions about aging or age-related diseases," said Olshansky.

According to information presented on Urban Nutrition's web site, "Longevity delivers 2-AEP directly to the outer cell walls to strengthen, seal, and protect your cells from toxins and diseases entering and infecting your healthy cells. This rejuvenation of your cells slows the aging process."

"Longevity is just one of many products being sold throughout the world with the claim that it will slow or reverse human aging," Olshansky says, "These products have never been proven to do anything but line the pockets of those selling them. The irony in this case is that not only is the inventor of Longevity dead, but so are many of the famous people Dr. Nieper claims to have treated with the product."

According to the web site, "Dr. Nieper's former patients include Princess Caroline of Monaco, John Wayne, Yul Brenner, Anthony Quinn, Natalie Woods (sic), Red Buttons, Fred McMurray, Russian Party leaders, the modern German King of Hanover, and many other worldwide dignitaries including members of the KGB before Communism fell..."

The criteria for this award included an evaluation of the purported health and longevity benefits, claims about scientific evidence supporting the product, the degree to which legitimate scientific research is exaggerated and the profit potential for those selling it.

A one-month supply of Longevity containing 90 pills currently sells for $44.99 on the web site.

The recipient of the Silver Fleece Award for an Anti-Aging Organization goes to CLONAID™. This award "honors" the organization that contributes the most to disseminating misinformation and/or products associated with the claim that human aging can now be stopped or reversed.

According to the company's website, www.clonaid.com, "CLONAID™ was founded in February 1997, by Ra�l, the leader of the Raelian Movement, an international religious organization which claims that a human extraterrestrial race, called the Elohim, used DNA and genetic engineering, to scientifically create all life on Earth."

The group now claims to have 55,000-60,000 devotees worldwide.

According to Rael, the self-proclaimed leader of CLONAID™, "Cloning will enable mankind to reach eternal life. The next step will be to directly clone an adult person without having to go through the growth process, and to transfer the memories and personality into this person just as the Elohim do using their 25,000 years of advanced scientific knowledge. Then, we will wake up after death in a brand new body just like after a good night sleep!"

"Choosing CLONAID™ as a recipient of the second annual Silver Fleece Award was a no-brainer," according to Hayflick.

Says Carnes, "It is unfortunate that so much anti-aging quackery is surfacing just when scientists are making substantive progress on understanding the processes of aging. I believe that the research being done today will eventually give rise to interventions with the capacity to modify the biological rate of aging in humans."

As authors of hundreds of scientific articles on aging, Olshansky and his colleagues are thoroughly familiar with both the legitimate, ongoing research in the fields of aging and the anti-aging claims that have been made historically and in recent years. Last June they issued a position statement with 51 scientists warning the public that "no currently marketed intervention has yet been proved to slow, stop or reverse human aging," and they warned consumers again in their article entitled "No Truth to the Fountain of Youth" which appeared in the June 2002 issue of Scientific American.

"Although there is reason to be optimistic that scientists will eventually be able to intervene in one or more processes associated with human aging, it is not currently possible to stop or reverse aging," says Olshansky. "In spite of this fact, a large number of anti-aging products are now being sold by entrepreneurs and administered by physicians and other health care practitioners in the United States and abroad under the pretext that they will stop or reverse aging and/or combat major fatal diseases."

In their book, Olshansky and Carnes say, "The life extension industry begins with a grain of truth but quickly gets mixed with a tablespoon of bad science, a cup of greed, a pint of exaggeration and a gallon of human desire for a longer, healthier life -- a recipe for false hope, broken promises and unfulfilled dreams."

The first Silver Fleece Awards were announced last winter at a meeting sponsored by the International Longevity Center-USA.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness

I know, isn't that bizarre?? Caroline doesn't look better since marrying Ernst she looks worse! I, too, would ask to have my name removed! :o