Princely Family of Monaco Current Events 2 : June 2006 - May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that my eyes are not fooling me because it seems that Prince Albert is wearing our national attire for men! I am so surprised!

In the Philippines, we call it the Barong Tagalog. The one that he is wearing looks like it's made from pineapple fibre (very hard to extract!) and silk. That type is typically used here in formal occasions. Especially considering the heat, it's great to wear that instead of a suit or tux.

His only mistake in how he wears it is that he should have worn an undershirt beneath it, which I don't think he did :ohmy:

Last edited:
sm1939 said:
Im sure everyone is talking to charlene , but those picture ( I think ) make it look like she is just sitting there trying to join in , no one is even turning round to chat with her ! , but sometimes you cant read the wrong thing in a picture.

Yep, Charlene looks a bit lonely sitting at the back :wub: but I suppose it's just protocol or whatever.

Wow... i'm really surprised by Charlotte's 20th birthday gift? A birthday concert by the Philharmonic Orchestra at the Palais Princier..

Is the concert a scheduled one or is it really a birthday gift for Charlotte? What a great way to celebrate.. I wonder what's Andrea's 20th (or 21st) birthday was?

Casey321 said:
Yep, Charlene looks a bit lonely sitting at the back :wub: but I suppose it's just protocol or whatever.

Think you could be right, must be horrible to be dating a prince / princess to begin with , ( people are aware of you but there not ??) until you became engaged and find your feet.

paca said:
The young man sitting in front of the box infront of Charlotte, is that her boyfriend Felix? The girl next to him seems to be talking to her in one picture and there is another blond girl sitting there as well, that looks like the blond in the pictures with Pierre.

The blond girl seems to be Eugenie Niarchos and maybe the girl talking to Charlotte is Cecile.

purple_platinum said:
Wow... i'm really surprised by Charlotte's 20th birthday gift? A birthday concert by the Philharmonic Orchestra at the Palais Princier..

Is the concert a scheduled one or is it really a birthday gift for Charlotte? What a great way to celebrate.. I wonder what's Andrea's 20th (or 21st) birthday was?
The concert is part of the open air concerts given in the court of honour every year. ONly the happy Birthday was played in her honour. The orchestra immediately continued with the scheduled program.

Thanks for the Pics . Wish Stephanie was there but that has never been her type of music .Hope Charlotte had a happy birthday .

kartheina said:
I hope that my eyes are not fooling me because it seems that Prince Albert is wearing our national attire for men! I am so surprised!

In the Philippines, we call it the Barong Tagalog. The one that he is wearing looks like it's made from pineapple fibre (very hard to extract!) and silk. That type is typically used here in formal occasions. Especially considering the heat, it's great to wear that instead of a suit or tie

His only mistake in how he wears it is that he should have worn an undershirt beneath it, which I don't think he did :ohmy:

thanks for the interesting information, he did need an undershirt and thanks for the great photos
this photo was especially attractive with his belly hanging over :ROFLMAO: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=257739&d=1154683437

everyone looks like they are having a blast except for charlene, wonder if this is how it will be if she marries him, going everywhere and being ignored.
have to say they all look beautiful, love charlenes dress but that hair scraped back again. Charlotte looks radiant, just beautifull and so happy. Glad felix is there.
have a question, i take it albert came in and sat down, back to charlene. other ladies sit down Pierre and ernst stay standing (as gentlemen do until all ladies are seated) but albert doesn't seem to have cared if she found a chair or not, is it because as the prince he stands for no one? doesn't seem right i can't image prince rainier doing it, he was such a charming gentleman.

I might be wrong but I think the reason albert sat is because of the the order of seating. If you look at the picture caroline is sitting and albert is being seated. The ones in the back were seated last.

i'm confused, right now i think that she is still together with felix. otherwise i dont think he would have come to the ballet/birthday concert. i hope they are still together.

I think that Charlotte and Caroline looked wonderful, can't say the same for Albert though. A tux is always the way to go.

Thanks for the info paca, I thought that the orchestra's performance might have been a gift, but it was just the Birthday Song that was for her. Still a nice gesture.

Ani

Caroline has such a great taste in sytle...I think that is why I was disappointed by this year's dress.

Can you imagine what her closet(s) looks like?! If she had an auction similar to Diana's when she sold her dresses for charity...that would be pretty awesome!

Now she is one woman who can never complain about having nothing to wear (as well as other royal ladies & celebrities). :)

Zonk1189 said:
Can you imagine what her closet(s) looks like?! If she had an auction similar to Diana's when she sold her dresses for charity...that would be pretty awesome!

Goodness!! Ernst looks so red in the face! Hope all is ok. :neutral:

Zonk1189 said:
Caroline has such a great taste in sytle...I think that is why I was disappointed by this year's dress.

That would be fantastic!!! I wonder why she hasn't done something like that...I wonder if they could do that with some of Grace's dresses too -- or at least some touring exhibit like they did with the wedding gown. The Jackie Kennedy display of her clothes was amazing (I went 3x). I have to admit though it's a tough thing to do to strike the right balance of doing something for charity and not making it seem like self-aggrandizement.

Albert's shirt should have been made out of a little thicker material. You can see his dark chest hair through the light color fabric. :neutral:

The design pattern is nice. :flowers:

Last edited:
Sunflower1 said:
Albert's shirt should have been made out of a little thicker material. You can see his dark chest hair through the light color fabric. :neutral:

The design pattern is nice.

As Kartheina pointed out, what Albert was wearing is called "Barong Tagalog", the attire for men during formal occasions in the Philippines. The material is almost always thin, especially the ones for formal occasions (there are ones which men wear for work and made of other materials) ; I have never seen a Barong Tagalog on a thick material - that's why an undershirt is normally worn under it. This shirt looks always good.

Last edited:
tbhrc said:
It seems that Caroline's dress is the same as the one from the Red Cross Ball 2003. Great choice. love it.....

You are right, thbrc.

So, it makes me think that she uses to keep her dresses and wardrobe in general; I mean, that she doesn`t borrow them from designers for just one night.

By the way, a little bit late, but congratulations for your birthday!

i'm just wondering why charlene sat among the princely family? what is the difference with felix? as far as i know it, felix is the bf of charlotte and charlene is the gf of PA...but maybe she had been upgraded somehow? anybody?

kartheina said:

In the Philippines, we call it the Barong Tagalog. The one that he is wearing looks like it's made from pineapple fibre (very hard to extract!) and silk. That type is typically used here in formal occasions. Especially considering the heat, it's great to wear that instead of a suit or tux.

yep, he wore barong tagalog alright!!...that was the first thing that I thought of when I saw the shirt!!..I bought about the same design of barong for my husband last year!

auroraDaniel said:
i'm just wondering why charlene sat among the princely family? what is the difference with felix? as far as i know it, felix is the bf of charlotte and charlene is the gf of PA...but maybe she had been upgraded somehow? anybody?

I think she is the alberts official companion its all in the wording.

vacation

i hope i'm doing this correctly since this is my first post!
does anyone know if any of the family ever vacations in the U.S.?
Princess Graces' family (the Kellys) used to spend a great deal of time at the New Jersey shore - Ocean City
i just wondered if any of her children and/or grandchildren ever visited

:flowers: Maria

mfrk54 said:
does anyone know if any of the family ever vacations in the U.S.?
Princess Graces' family (the Kellys) used to spend a great deal of time at the New Jersey shore - Ocean City
i just wondered if any of her children and/or grandchildren ever visited

Albert seems to be the only one who has returned regularly to the USA the last few years-mostly for the Princess Grace Foundation dinner in NYC. Caroline and Stephanie have individually accompanied him to these events once every few years.

Albert has also visited Philadelphia and Massachusetts for camp and college reunions-one just last year.

This year, Albert is set to visit the USA three times. The first for the Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island. I believe its his first visit to that state. Its a celebration including 50 years since "High Society" was filmed there. It was Grace Kelly's last movie. The other visits will be to NYC for the PGF dinner again and a tentative fall visit.

While its not clear that any of Grace's children and/or grandchildren (aside from Jazmin who lives there) vacation in the USA, the Casiraghi trio did come with Caroline one year to visit her old camp which Grace had sent her to during her younger school years. It was near the Kelly family, (so Grace could visit them during) though I do not know what state or the name of it.

seto said:
I think she is the alberts official companion its all in the wording.
thanks for replying :flowers: ...but what does "official companion" means? and what benefits that it brings to charlene?

Here is a nice pic from PdV:

Attachments

• pdv-10-8-3.jpg
    pdv-10-8-3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 437
tbhrc said:
Here is a nice pic from PdV:

That IS a nice pic, it's smiles all around. Even Mr. Felix seems to be grinning a bit.

Ani

Oh, thanks for the pic..

anag said:
That IS a nice pic, it's smiles all around. Even Mr. Felix seems to be grinning a bit.

Ani

Oh, thanks for the pic..

I hope Felix is still on the scene as Char's boyfriend and this was not just a courtesy/kiss-off invite. Felix rocks. I like his attitude (all those funny shirts speak volumes about his sense of humor) and ya gotta love his I'm-not-so-rich-I-can-only-afford-one-pair-of-swimming-shorts style. But of course it would be even better to see Charlotte date a *real* Plebian. :rolleyes:

CasiraghiTrio said:
I hope Felix is still on the scene as Char's boyfriend and this was not just a courtesy/kiss-off invite. Felix rocks. I like his attitude (all those funny shirts speak volumes about his sense of humor) and ya gotta love his I'm-not-so-rich-I-can-only-afford-one-pair-of-swimming-shorts style. But of course it would be even better to see Charlotte date a *real* Plebian. :rolleyes:

I think (if it is true that she broke off with Felix) that her next boyfriend will be similar to him, she doesnt seem interested in famous, gorgeous type of guys, i think she prefer someone who makes her feel confortable and is able to give her some intelectual references. Lets see what happens, i hope she is still with Felix and by the way, the italian magazines last summer were part of those who spread the pregnancy rumours like if they were true, so better do not believe all this fuss.

auroraDaniel said:
thanks for replying :flowers: ...but what does "official companion" means? and what benefits that it brings to charlene?

good question not sure what the duties are, how the palace referred to her (might have lost something in the translation) and we ran with it and the benefits are all that goes with dating a prince.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom