Prince Rainier Current Events 1 : Nov.2002 - Apr.2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post the article from the link I provided above. There are some wonderful quotes in it...

(AP) The children of Prince Rainier III visited their ailing father Thursday, his third day in intensive care at a seaside clinic, as the monarch's subjects contemplated life without the man who has led them for more than 50 years.

Crown Prince Albert, Rainier's only son and his heir, was seen entering the Cardio-Thoracic Center as were his two sisters, Princesses Caroline and Stephanie. Rainier's movie-star wife, Grace Kelly, died in a car crash in 1982.

The 81-year-old prince's condition — he remained on a respirator after suffering heart and kidney failure — cast a somber mood over this glitzy Riviera principality.

"Monaco became Monaco thanks to him. I think of him like a second grandfather," said Sandrine Negre, 22, out strolling with friends near the hospital. "This really hurts me."

A medical bulletin released Wednesday by the royal palace described Rainier's condition as "stable." The prince's entourage said Thursday that there had been no change, and no new official medical bulletin was released.

The prince had been hospitalized more than two weeks ago with a chest infection. After a marked improvement, the prince's health suddenly worsened on Tuesday.

He was transferred to intensive care unit after developing a sudden respiratory infection "with cardiac and kidney failure" and breathing trouble that made a respirator "indispensable," according to the medical bulletin.

Rainier, who assumed the throne in 1949, is beloved in Monaco for having transformed a state smaller than New York's Central Park into a modern and elegant magnet for jet setters.

"Monaco prays for Prince Rainier," read the main headline of Monaco Matin newspaper, with a photo of people lighting candles for him at church.

"This country is Prince Rainier," said Patricia Vermeulen, 53, a retired schoolteacher. "This fabulous adventure that is Monaco — he created it."

Rainier has been in and out of the hospital recently. He has a history of heart problems and has lately been plagued by recurring ailments linked to his respiratory tract.

Infections can bring on congestive heart failure, which can lower blood pressure and ultimately lead to kidney failure. Heart failure also depresses the respiratory system, making breathing difficult.

Doctors often use respirators, and dialysis machines, to lighten the workload of the body while it heals from an infection. However, respiratory infections in the elderly can be deadly.

I love the quote made by Patricia Vermeulen "This country is Prince Rainier. This fabulous adventure that is Monaco -- he created it"

BBC reported today in its news item on Rainier that he was unconcious and deteriorating. I pray that God is watching over him.
Does anybody know where there are photos of Caroline and Stephanie visiting the hospital? Thanks!

Oh god Prince Rainier unconcious, poor of him and the family. Since I heard 2 days ago that he was in ICU I've been really worried for him and like some of you here, I personally know how hard it is to go thru something like his family is going thru. So all my prayers and best wishes go to them.

It is very nice for everyone to remember all the things he did for Monaco, and we have to keep in mind that if it weren't for him and Grace we wouldn't even be here sharing our admiration for this wonderful family.

but he wishes Princess Grace was here!

Sara Boyce

Budge you can see pics of Caroline and Albert at the hospital on some previous posts in this thread or at the article Julia linked from CBS. BTW Julia & everyone you've done a great mini tribute for the Prince.

monaco70s said:
Budge you can see pics of Caroline and Albert at the hospital on some previous posts in this thread or at the article Julia linked from CBS. BTW Julia & everyone you've done a great mini tribute for the Prince.

Thanks, monaco70s. I think we all love and admire Rainier and are quite sad to see him in such shape. He has lived a remarkable life. He has contributed so much to many, many lives and he's an extraordinary man.

You are most welcome for the photo, ghostly11. It's obvious that Grace and Rainier (though there were some rough patches in their marriage) were the best of friends and that they really loved each other. Rainier sparkled in her presence and vice-versa.

I think you've touched upon one of the most chivalrous aspects of Rainier's personality: the love that he holds for Grace and the great respect and honor with which he treated her. That was very nicely put.

I just talked to a common friend of Stephanie and me. He worked with her for some time a few years ago. It isn't easy to get to Steph right now...even if you wanna comfort her. She managed to get the kids going to school for today and tomorrow morning the three of them will join their daddys.

I'm sorry about your mother, mw7060a. May she rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are also with the Grimaldi family now.

Caption and picture courtesy of AP Photo/Bruno Bebert

Worshippers pray during Holy Thursday mass at the Sainte Devote church in Monaco Thursday, March 24, 2005 as the ailing Prince Rainier III who has been hospitalized in intensive care for the third straight day is showing no signs of improvement. (AP Photo/Bruno Bebert)
AP - Mar 24 11:28 AM

Attachments

• Praying for Prince Rainier III on Holy Thursday.jpg
    Praying for Prince Rainier III on Holy Thursday.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 420
We are really sad of,we all wish the bests for the prince.Wish God bless him recover the ill.

I, too, have been in the situation where my father was very ill (before his death) several years ago. It is a horrible time for the family, and I wish them all the peace they can have at such a terrible time.

Yes,we all know the feelings of the people whose relative is in very bad house between the life and the death.It's really terrible. We really sorry for them.We all hope the bests for them.

There is a thread of videos that shows Rainier and Grace along with the children http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=36559#poststop I especially liked the one when the children were small and Rainier was holding Albert and Albert wanted his Nana. Daddy kept smiling and holding on to him.

Having lost my Dad to renal failure who was on dialysis its good to see so many who care about Rainier who few have meet. It's touched me in many ways at the response. The best thing to do is keep them all in your prayers.

I don't recall at the moment who it was that placed the candle in the thread. I want to suggest something to all who read this to light a candle on Good Friday. It would be nice if we could all do it around the same time but I know we can't. I am staying up late and will light my first at midnight EST the next in the morning and when I arrive back home in the evening and keep one burning until after midnight.

If someone has an avatar of a candle I will use it if you post it. Thanks and bless each of you for showing you care. LadyM

Thanks for the lovely link to the videos of Rainier, Grace and their children, Lady M. Rainier is a marvelous father and one who really, really seems to love being one.

Iceflower posted the sweet photo of the candle and I can make into an avatar.

It is so touching and nice to read everyone's support msgs in this thread, it would be good if the family read our supportive and caring msgs because it would make them feel a bit better...

Yeah lighting up a candle would be a good idea or use one as an avatar or in ur signature :)

michelle said:
I just talked to a common friend of Stephanie and me. He worked with her for some time a few years ago. It isn't easy to get to Steph right now...even if you wanna comfort her. She managed to get the kids going to school for today and tomorrow morning the three of them will join their daddys.

So Daniel and Jean Raymond are taking right now care of Stephanie's children? Do you know if Rainier's grandkids have visited him in the hospital?

monaco70s said:
Do you know if Rainier's grandkids have visited him in the hospital?

That's a good question, monaco70s. I would think that the older grandchildren would definitely have visited him....

When I have a chance, unless anyone else has these photos, I will scan in some of my favorite photos of Rainier from Howell Conant's beautiful book "Grace". He took a marvelous photo of Rainier with baby Stephanie that is just delightful...

Yeah I also think the older ones might have visited him also, but we don't know since the press hasn't reported it.

The Howell Conant book is the epitome of happiness and joy for the family! Great book.

Julia said:
Iceflower posted the sweet photo of the candle and I can make into an avatar.

If possible I would like to see my pic as an avatar, so that it can be used
by everybody. I took this foto especially for Rainier and his family yesterday..

Couldn't find any new information in the press this morning, anyone else?

iceflower said:
If possible I would like to see my pic as an avatar, so that it can be used
by everybody. I took this foto especially for Rainier and his family yesterday..

Couldn't find any new information in the press this morning, anyone else?

I haven't seen any new news.

I will work on the avatar, iceflower as it was such a lovely gesture on your part. I think many of our Grimaldi supporters will really like and appreciate it.

I wish I could be more creative but, anyway, here is Iceflower's Candle avatar for Rainier and his family...

Attachments

• Iceflowers_candle.jpg
    Iceflowers_candle.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 561
Thank you very much, Julia!!
I think it even looks better with that little "hope"-signature
on it, so nice of you to make an avator out of it!

I pray Rainier doesn't have to suffer and does not feel any pain!!!

It is just been announced that his health has worsened and that there are fears for his life.

We have to prepare to very bad news in the next hours, I'm afraid !

We are now surrendering to God.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=a3N5P9.dCdbw&refer=europe

Hope that he is now facing this moment with peace and calmness.

r775528034.jpg

Yes, I just read about Prince Rainier's health in another article... I hope Caroline is still in Monaco... so sad... *tear*

Caroline leaving the hospital...

Attachments

• MONACO_PRINCE_RAINIER_MON_7.jpg
    MONACO_PRINCE_RAINIER_MON_7.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 179
  • MONACO-ROYAL-RAINIER-CAROLI.jpg
    MONACO-ROYAL-RAINIER-CAROLI.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom