The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

OH NO this is terrible, I have a bad feeling about Rainier for this coming year... I hope he does get better but...

I have a question... I was reading some Royalty magazines from 1990-1994 last night and I came upon an article about Caroline that talked about her marrying Lindon but then it said it would solve any problems for Rainier because Albert can't come to throne until he is married?!?! Why? Rainier did before he married Grace... just confused

Old 02-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Courtier

I think that Albert came become Sovereign even if he isn't married. The long time rumor has been that Prince Rainier personally preferred that his son be married before he takes the throne.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 12:42 pm
What terrible news. He is at a very fragile age that things like this can really set you back.

Here is the article that sherry11 mentioned, from Yahoo News:

Monaco's Prince Rainier hospitalized for heart problems

MONACO (AFP) - Monaco's 80-year-old Prince Rainier has been hospitalized for the third time in two months, suffering from "acute heart problems," the palace said.

"Biological exams confirmed this diagnosis corresponded with a new coronary lesion situated just below the heart bypass operation carried out in November 1994," a medical statement put out by the palace said.

It added that the lesion was "immediately brought under control".

The prince, who was admitted Saturday afternoon, would remain in hospital "in principle for several days", it said.

Prince Rainier was hospitalised from December 16 to 21 with an attack of influenza, and from January 2 to 22 as a result of a "state of general fatigue."

Since his return to the palace, he has not been seen in public.

The prince is one of the world's longest-reigning monarchs. He acceded to power in the tiny Mediterranean enclave in 1949, three years before Britain's Queen Elizabeth II.
I hope he gets better.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
Per the laws of Monaco, upon the death of Rainier his son and heir, Albert, will become The Prince of Monaco. His marital status in no way affects his place in the succession!!

The law of succession was recently amended to allow Caroline, Stephanie and their children to retain their places in the line of succession after Albert ascends the Princely Throne. Previously, they would have lost their places upon the death of their father and Monaco would have become an autonomous region of France if Albert failed to produce and heir (which I doubt he would have allowed to happen) before his death. Now the succession is secure.

I suspect Albert WILL marry within a year of his becoming The Prince of Monaco. Unfortunately, I believe Albert will acsend the throne before the end of this year if not before then.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 4:16 pm
Per the laws of Monaco, upon the death of Rainier his son and heir, Albert, will become The Prince of Monaco. His marital status in no way affects his place in the succession!!

The law of succession was recently amended to allow Caroline, Stephanie and their children to retain their places in the line of succession after Albert ascends the Princely Throne. Previously, they would have lost their places upon the death of their father and Monaco would have become an autonomous region of France if Albert failed to produce and heir (which I doubt he would have allowed to happen) before his death. Now the succession is secure.

I suspect Albert WILL marry within a year of his becoming The Prince of Monaco. Unfortunately, I believe Albert will acsend the throne before the end of this year if not before then.
TRUE, but over here we are all feeling the pain that ALBERT is going through as well.
it would be so much nicer of PRINCE RAINIER to make ALBERT his successor while he is still alive

i hope he gets better.. but its looking bad :(
Old 02-23-2004, 02:35 AM
Aristocracy

I heard the news on CNN and then read it online at Yahoo.com

This is indeed extremely sad news to hear. I had hoped that Ranier would be on the road to recovery after finally getting out of the hospital before Caroline's birthday. He had been in the hospital twice late last year and when he finally went home, I hoped things would get better.

Ranier is very old and does have severe heart problems, etc. So I guess this is to be expected, but it's still very sad to hear. I wish him and all of his family all the best. I hope he gets better.

But if he doesn't. I hope and pray that Albert, Caroline, and the rest of the family keep it all together and do what's best for Monaco and their families. I hope they all keep their wits about them and I hope everything works out for the best!
Old 02-23-2004, 02:46 AM
Commoner

I read this and suddenly got a horrible feeling. I wish HSH a full and quick recovery, but based on the tone of that article, I am afraid that might not be so. I am sure this is a very difficult time for his family.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Commoner

leyla m., I'm really sorry that all of you are feeling those pains. And maybe Prince Rainier will be able to pull through like he always has before. Monaco's traditions are respected all over the world. There's even a Monaco respect group in The P.R. of China. But I can't remember the URL for that group. And it's in Chinese too. But that's how much Monaco is respected.

Sherry
Old 02-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Courtier

hope he'll get better.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Very sad news indeed. Seems he's had to be in and out of the hospital a lot lately. My best wishes to all the Grimaldis.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Nobility

Poor Rainier. I hope he gets well soon and I hope Albert fulfills his father's wishes before it's too late.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Something tells me within a few months we'll be hearing about a marriage in monaco. I too hope HSH Prince Rainier has a full recovery.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Courtier

It's probably a very fond wish of Rainier's, that Albert would marry a "suitable" girl before he passes on, so you maybe right about a wedding in the future. I've sometimes wondered if Albert is reluctant to choose a bride, when there will be such comparisons made to his mother and sisters. Whoever he chooses, she'll have to be a pretty strong lady in my opinion!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

The good news is that Prince Rainier came out of the hospital around March 3rd or 4th. Princess Stephanie and Prince Albert were by his side.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Commoner

Yeah, monaco70s! Prince Rainier is okay. I guess he just likes to scare us once in a while! But prayers anyway!

Sherry!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Majesty

Prince Rainier of Monaco and Prince Albert watching the Champions League quarter-final second leg football match between Monaco and Real Madrid, 06 April 2004 at Louis II Stadium in Monaco which Monaco won and advanced to the semifinals!

Old 05-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

MONACO - MAY 1: Princess Caroline of Hanover and her father Prince Rainier III of Monaco arrive attend the 37th International Bouquet contest at the Monaco Garden Club on May 1, 2004 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images)

Rainier and Caroline
Old 05-07-2004, 04:49 AM

Its so good to see Prince Rainer out and about at the football games. Will he be at the championship game in Germany? Anyone know?
Old 05-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Majesty

I don´t know. Maybe. It would be great if he does go.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope so he will still strong of his health or poor? but someone said on the posts his health will be poor!

Sara Boyce