The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostly11
Thank you so much. Thanks for the update, though each one is harder and harder to read.
U're welcome, and I agree with you each update is harder and harder to read.

It's really caring that all of us are trying to keep everyone here updated and that we also consider the human side of the family and not just only gliterring/official function aspects.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was gonna post that pic now but u posted it already Anyway it hurts me seeing Caroline like this.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Royal Highness

Very sad news and photos. Thought I'd "light" a candle, too.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you all so much.
I believe Stephanie wasn't strong enough to stand these moments on the balcony. What do you all think?
I feel like is becoming too much for me.....
Old 03-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostly11
Hi, Michelle. I was hoping to see you because I was wondering the same thing. I think maybe she volunteered to remain by her father's side while her siblings faced the public. I bet you couldn't pry Stephanie away from him for anything in the world right now. But we all know how strong she is.
Hang in there, sweetie.

Thanks for your words....I think you're right, she certainly was at his bedside. The common friend of Steph and me will be calling in a few minutes he promissed. Gonna let you know ....
Old 03-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Hm, there are a lot of "between-life-and-death"-stories, we have to watch these days (Prince Rainier, the pope and the story of Terri Schiavo, which you can follow everywhere) and additionally we have easter. This is all quite thought-provoking and even more I feel for their relatives. Especially for princess Stephanie. She always seemed so traumatically hurt to me through the death of her mother. I fear to lose her beloved father would be for her more than to lose a parent, who has reached the end of a very long life (I hope you donīt get me wrong...and maybe I donīt have enough experience...but I guess itīs easier to accept the death of a parent, when he/she has lived his/her life to the fullest and had the chance to be a grandparent and so on...so that the natural circle of life is closed)
Old 03-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Nobility

I know what you're saying.. I have parents just one year younger than Rainier and I couldn't imagine losing them or seeing them suffer..On the other hand I wouldn't want them to suffer.The pictures posted above show it all. The grim faces..My heart goes out to all of them..Caroline has lost two people so close to her and Stephanie seems so close to her dad..I am sure she must be at the hospital..I am wondering if any of the grandchildren have been able to see their grand-pere..This is so sad..
Old 03-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

So the following is what Hervé( friend living in Monaco) said:
Louis, Pauline and Camille are taken over by their fathers for the next few days, though they're brought to their mother whenever necessary ( Hervé knows Daniel)
I told Hervé to tell Stephanie I'm with her( we all are). He said he didn't have the chance to speek to her until now,he'll see what happens the next days.I'm going to send her a message within the next hours He also said ( as I already considered) that the press and media is making the moments surely more difficult but as it always was in their lives the family is living with it and can cope with it. In addition to this it is important to be pointed out that the family thanks people all over the world for their care,love and support and appriciates it very much.
For any messages to be send to support the family, this is the adress:

presse@palais.mc
Old 03-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Royal Highness

While things are very sad for Albert, Caroline, Stephanie and all of Rainier's grandchildren and countrymen there is at least the comforting thought that he has lived a very full life. He has been so fortunate to know all of his grandchildren and vice-versa. He has made enormous contributions to Monaco and has been someone whom his countrymen could be very proud of.

I'm sure this is a terribly hard experience for Stephanie but she is by his side and that's something she was not able to do with her mother, so in some way this is probably a very comforting thing to be able to do. To be with him in his last days will mean so much to her now and later. It will probably bring her some amount of peace as it will for all of his children and grandchildren (the time they spend with him now).
Old 03-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
This is all quite thought-provoking and even more I feel for their relatives. Especially for princess Stephanie. She always seemed so traumatically hurt to me through the death of her mother. I fear to lose her beloved father would be for her more than to lose a parent, who has reached the end of a very long life (I hope you donīt get me wrong...and maybe I donīt have enough experience...but I guess itīs easier to accept the death of a parent, when he/she has lived his/her life to the fullest and had the chance to be a grandparent and so on...so that the natural circle of life is closed)
Interesting thought Lena; I had a recent personal experience that is related. Last week I attended the funeral services of my great-uncle who had lived to be just a few months short of his 90th birthday and the death came after a week of "discomfort" but not a long, drawn out illness. Having been to funerals where friends had lost their parents in their 40s and early 50s, and even to a funeral where very young children died, I was "surprised" by the amount of tears by my great-uncle's (grown) chlidren and his grandchildren. Before I had left for the funeral a colleague had said to me that it shouldn't be a sad occasion but rather a "celebration" as he had lived a long, full life; of course not being particuarly close to this great-uncle I was a bit disconnected and was able to observe in a unique way. Even more surprising was another great-uncle (the younger brother of the one who had passed away) who I was close to, who was openly sobbing and crying over his brother's casket. I came to the conclusion in the end that no matter how long his life, for my great-uncle and for my dad this passing was losing a special family connection: for my great-uncle losing one more sibling, going from a eight brothers and sisters to having now only one sister left who remembers their parents and a life so long ago. And for my dad losing one more person who had special stories about his own dad who died nearly 20 years ago.

I think no matter how old you are it'll always be hard to lose a parent. In the case of Caroline, Albert and Stephanie (or other children in a similar position) a greater sadness because he was their last living parent and now they have only each other. I think that if Grace were still alive the pain might be a little bit less because an adult/parental figure still exists even if you are an adult/parent yourself.

Also, I think particularly precarious about Ranier's passing is that Caroline, Albert and Stephanie lost Grace while they were just young adults -- in Stephanie's case still a teenager -- and they all became close and dependent on Ranier as a single parent as well as someone to set an example of royal life. When you have only one parent you naturally become much closer to them than when you have two parents to spread and share your concerns and problems with. I think it's obvious with Stephanie being the youngest has a very special and close relationship with her father.

No matter how old you are and no matter how long a life your loved one has lived, losing them is losing a tangible connection that can never be replaced.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Royal Highness

Yes, quite a thought-provoking post, Alexandria. Nicely written.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is all so hurting for me. Hervé told me now that he shortly saw Stephanie today as she went to fetch Louis at school. She was in tears. I'm trying to reach her.....dunno what to say anymore....this reminds me so much of losing my grandpa.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Royal Highness

I'm sorry you are so sad, Michelle. :(

Eventhough this is a terribly difficult time for all of the Grimaldi children and grandchildren this time that they are able to spend with Rainier (though painful) is in someway comforting. It would be far more difficult if they could not do their greiving with him. Later, there is that feeling that at least you were there with them at the end and it does, oddly enough, make things a little bit easier.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Alexandria. I entirely agree with what you are saying.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia

Eventhough this is a terribly difficult time for all of the Grimaldi children and grandchildren this time that they are able to spend with Rainier (though painful) is in someway comforting. It would be far more difficult if they could not do their greiving with him. Later, there is that feeling that at least you were there with them at the end and it does, oddly enough, make things a little bit easier.
Thank you Julia....and I totally agree with you. When my grandpa died 4 years ago I lived in Paris so I couldn't be at his side when he closed his eyes. I returned home for the funeral but for a long time I felt like I didn't really have the chance to tell him goodbye as I wanted to.

As for Stephanie and her siblings...I want to point out that I'm very sad for all of them in the same way and I don't want to make the impression that I'm only concerned about Stephanie. Stephanie is just the one that I know best from over the last years...so that's what I wanted to clear.
I feel for them all.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia

I can agree. I don't want to use myself as an example, but in this case, I will. When my grandmother was dying in hospital, I was able to visit her every day for the 10 days she was there. She deteriorated more and more as the week went on, but I am glad I was there with her; despite the pain it caused me to watch her. Even though I miss her every day, I realise that I was far luckier than other people, in that I was able to say goodbye. There was a sense of closure. I hope that is what Albert, Caroline and Stephanie feel; that even though this is very sad, they have an opportunity to say things before it's too late. A second chance, if you like.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here's another possibility to express your wishes.

The golden Guestbook of the monegasque Principality webpage:

http://www.monaco-montecarlo.com/mon...edor/index.php
Old 03-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Serene Highness

These are all lovely posts--very kind, supportive and thought-provoking. It was enormously touching to read them. When I started hearing the news about Prince Ranier, I was reminded of my father who died just over 2 years ago. He had been declining but gradually for years since his stroke at age 42. He was in great shape over dinner at Christmas, then a few days later was hospitalized for an infection and 2 weeks later he was dead. His kidneys began shutting down, his heart started having problems and then other major organ failure began. The doctors were excellent but the delicate balance between starting up one system without impacting another could not be found. I thought then, and think today, of what one person once wrote about parents being the last great barrier between yourself and the realities of being truly on your own. Confronting the loss of your parent, at any age and under any circumstance, is hard. There is not a day that goes by that I do not miss my dad. Even though Ranier, like my father, has been in failing health for awhile, there is kind of a stunned, shocking feeling when the ball begins rolling and you realize this time may well be the last. It sounds strange but it's not something you are ever totally prepared for because they have, in the past, pulled through somehow. Life takes on a kind of suspended animation feeling; I remember saying many times "this can't be real." I remember saying that to myself when I was telling the doctors to stop the oxygen and increase the morphine after a final devastating stroke occured and his brain function had ceased. On the one hand, you know it's over; on the other, you expect somehow your parent will open his eyes again and go on. It's hard to explain; many of you have described it much more articulately. Anyway, I imagine this is what the Grimaldi family is feeling now and my heart goes out to all of them. I, too, hope the media gives them the time and space they need as they go through this experience. I also pray that, whatever the outcome, they find renewed support and comfort and strength in one another, family and friends. All of your kind, sensitive posts speak to the good you can find in people amidst even the saddest times.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Interesting thought Lena; I had a recent personal experience that is related. Last week I attended the funeral services of my great-uncle who had lived to be just a few months short of his 90th birthday and the death came after a week of "discomfort" but not a long, drawn out illness. Having been to funerals where friends had lost their parents in their 40s and early 50s, and even to a funeral where very young children died, I was "surprised" by the amount of tears by my great-uncle's (grown) chlidren and his grandchildren. Before I had left for the funeral a colleague had said to me that it shouldn't be a sad occasion but rather a "celebration" as he had lived a long, full life; of course not being particuarly close to this great-uncle I was a bit disconnected and was able to observe in a unique way. Even more surprising was another great-uncle (the younger brother of the one who had passed away) who I was close to, who was openly sobbing and crying over his brother's casket. I came to the conclusion in the end that no matter how long his life, for my great-uncle and for my dad this passing was losing a special family connection: for my great-uncle losing one more sibling, going from a eight brothers and sisters to having now only one sister left who remembers their parents and a life so long ago. And for my dad losing one more person who had special stories about his own dad who died nearly 20 years ago.

I think no matter how old you are it'll always be hard to lose a parent. In the case of Caroline, Albert and Stephanie (or other children in a similar position) a greater sadness because he was their last living parent and now they have only each other. I think that if Grace were still alive the pain might be a little bit less because an adult/parental figure still exists even if you are an adult/parent yourself.

Also, I think particularly precarious about Ranier's passing is that Caroline, Albert and Stephanie lost Grace while they were just young adults -- in Stephanie's case still a teenager -- and they all became close and dependent on Ranier as a single parent as well as someone to set an example of royal life. When you have only one parent you naturally become much closer to them than when you have two parents to spread and share your concerns and problems with. I think it's obvious with Stephanie being the youngest has a very special and close relationship with her father.

No matter how old you are and no matter how long a life your loved one has lived, losing them is losing a tangible connection that can never be replaced.
You make an very interesting point here, Alexandria. And as Iīve said I donīt have much experience. But I though think, that you lose something different (I donīt want to say you lose something "bigger") when your parent dies "young" and suddenly, than when he/she had a long life. I would say, when your parent dies at 90 and youīre around 60 then you lose the living connection to the past. But when your parent dies young, you lose the living connection to the past and to a lived future together with the person. You always will ask yourself, how you would have spend the time together. Until a certain point you might also ask yourself, how the (5 or 10...) years with the 90 year old dead parent would have been, and maybe nowdays such thoughts are in our society, which seems to believe in an as long life as Methuselah or even longer, even more spread. But I guess deeply inside we know, that our life is not endless. Little children seem to know it and ppl, who are older seem to know it as well.
My aim is not to emphasize, who might suffer more. Mourning is not measurable. I rather would want to focus on the idea, that it has maybe also something deeply comforting to look back on Rainierīs long colourful life and to see how he is leaving because his body has reached its natural limit. Further this time thereīs a chance to say goodbye and to say how much he loves them. So I hope Caroline, Albert and Stephanie find the strength to see these aspects and that they give them some comfort.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm speechless and really touched by all of you, I know what the family is going thru right now cos I went thru that several times during the last years.

Michelle thanks for the update and the suggestions in how we can express our care & support. I'm sure that Stephanie stayed with Rainier because she wanted to be next to him and she would have bursted in tears like back in 2000's Circus when he was being operated. It really saddened me to see Caroline on the balcony.

I'll light up my candle later today.

I had never seen the family on the balcony for a Good Friday procesion in the past, do you think it was a praying vigil for Rainier's health?