Prince Albert II of Monaco Current Events - Part 29: August 2010 - March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damien Hirst and Shanghai Expo - Two Major exhibitions come to a close

The Damien Hirst exhibition "Cornucopia" closed on October 1st and attracted 482 419 visitors in 182 days.

The Shanghai Universal Expo's Monaco Pavilion exhibit will finish in a fortnight. It attracted two million visitors (and 3.3% of all visitors to the Expo).

I think i've said it, but i like the combination of red tie, dark suit!

:previous:

Albert has been in Genua today as he's been nominated as honorary member
of the Accademia Ligure di Scienze e Lettere (Liguria Academy of Science
and Arts).

On October 14, Prince Albert attended a second event (the other one can
be found above), the winners of the 2010 edition of the "Anna Lindh"
Mediterranean Journalist Award" were presented:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

PA should feel in his element at Genova (Genoa) because the Grimaldis came from that town/state.

"MONACO - Vivre ma ville" is the quarterly newsletter from the Mairie (Mayor's office) which is headed by PA's childhood friend, the current Maire, Georges Marsan.

Edito - Monaco Vivre Ma Ville

One of the articles is about the 15th European "Open Doors" / Heritage Days, and this year the Mairie has chosen as its theme ..... "SPORT" !!

Culture - Monaco Vivre Ma Ville

Why did Genoa make Albert a honorary member of their academy of science?:question:

PA should feel in his element at Genova (Genoa) because the Grimaldis came from that town/state.

Grimaldis left Genoa 800 years ago, didn't they? But it is possible that Albert feels pirate blood in his veins. Weren't he ascendants pirates too?;)

Genoa isn't far from Monaco. At least there he can speak his native Monegasque language, and being understood by the many;)

Places are always giving famous people awards to get them to come to their city. It gets the giver free publicity and feeds the ego of the receiver. I like PA, but I find all of these awards he is receiving laughable. Did he just invent the next penicillin? I am sure the Monegasques would prefer that he spend more time at home tending to business.

Monaco itself likes its own award schemes, e.g. those of the Prince Pierre Foundation.
It seems to be fashionable to institute award schemes, or to receive many awards.

So far, so good. But FanofMonaco is right, I think - you can have too much of a good thing...

Those honorary memberships are of course questionable, but at least they
are not Albert's fault ;) as they are offered to him and it would be impolite
to refuse to accept them.. Famous people can become trophies collectors..;)

Today, Prince Albert visited the photo exhibition of Alain and Nathalie Antognelli
who have travelled through Greenland with a canoe to explore the climate
changed and to get to know the inhabitants.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Those honorary memberships are of course questionable, but at least they
are not Albert's fault ;) as they are offered to him and it would be impolite
to refuse to accept them.. Famous people can become trophies collectors..;)

Today, Prince Albert visited the photo exhibition of Alain and Nathalie Antognelli
who have travelled through Greenland with a canoe
to explore the climate
changed and to get to know the inhabitants.

This is impressive, never heard about them before. :cool:
Thanks to other posters for explaining why Albert got this award in Genoa. it makes sense. I guess PA is not the only person with this position getting so many awards like that. It can make a life tough to have to pick up them all.:lol:;)

Ah yes, but PA seems to revel in travelling around the world, attending this or that conference or symposium, garnering publicity for his pet projects, and - inevitably - being showered with prizes and other "gongs" (as they call them in the trade :))

But it's a harmless pastime, when all is said and done...

It may be harmless, but to me it decreases his creditability and makes him look shallow. Maybe it's just his way to get free publicity for Monaco. I don't think he would look too good in Chanel.

Hhmm... perhaps you're right - it could be construed as trying too hard.
But then, is he not by definition duty-bound to promote the principality?

And, no matter how many members of his staff spend large chunks of their lives promoting Monaco, PA is the one representative of "Monaco plc" everyone wants to see.

Isn't it kind of rude to not accept an award?

I think the Royal Family gets tons of requests each year and probably turn many down. Menton or Roquebrune begged them to go to their independence day celebration (from Monaco) this year and they turned that down. I saw PA did go later in the year for something else.

See, that is why I would be a terrible Prince of Monaco. If I were Albert I would have went to Menton and Roquebrune and just driven through the streets in an open car shouting, "Miss us yet?!", "How high are your taxes?", "That independence didn't last long huh?!", "Tell me your sorry and maybe I'll take you back!" :lol:

A word about all the awards; I give Albert more credit than most because he has actually done his homework on the global warming/climate change/whatever they're calling it this month and he's actually put his money where his mouth is in some ways. However, all too often these awards involve the famous congratulating the famous for raising awareness -sometimes even raising awareness of the raising of awareness while no one is actually *doing* anything about the problem in question.
:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

It seems to me that PA's relationship with Menton, Beausoleil, Roquebrune and the rest seems rather cordial - after all, they are next door neighbours !!

The "raising awareness" lobby is to be congratulated, because without "flagging up issues" (yuk !!) there would be no publicity for the myriad of issues, and, hence, very little money would reach the "good causes".

Does anyone know whether Monaco has been at all affected by the revolts in its neighbour PACA ??

Last edited by a moderator:
The relations between the french towns Menton and Roquebrune, and also Antibes and Principaute of Monaco are very cordials, the prince is often coming in those towns and very estimed. And it is thrue, as I said you, my mother lives at Eze, small town abide Monaco. , I live at Sassenage which is in the Alps, but I use to go to my mother's home every 15 days, ( She needs me because she is 82 ) I never hear wrong things about Monaco A part The jet set people, we don't like. There are strikes now, but Monaco has nothing .

Did you know that Monaco stopped having personal income taxes after the people of Menton and Roquebrune voted to become French. Also that Monaco had a big hand in improving Menton. Monaco needed workers for its' increasing tourist trade so they had the retired president of the SBM move to Menton and he became the Mayor. Many Italians were looking for work in Monaco so the Mayor helped build the Menton infrastructure so that the Italians would have a place to live. It seems even though the two areas have been separated for 150 years they both have profited from each others existance. Today more French people cross Monaco's border to work every day than the entire population of Monaco.

I know the history of France, I am french and I know when Menton and Roquebrune became french towns, It was the last empereur NapoleonIII who did not want that Monaco had boarders closed to Italy, which was divided in many states whose some belong to the Habsbourg family, and there were differents between the Austria and France. Monegasque natives don-t pay any taxes.and it is ok now between Monaco and France.

I've always been interested in border regions and the way these have changed.

Now I live in Edinburgh, and the Anglo-Scottish Border is alive, just like the Monaco-Mentonnais-Liguria borders. When I travel to the south of France, I'm immediately attracted to that area because it's part of the "Encircled Sea", but also because of its vibrant history.

Melina, your mum is lucky to live in Èze - it's redolent of the history of many centuries of conflict and peace.

It's Oktoberfest time in Monaco again:

Prince Albert attended the opening of the fifth edition of the 'Oktoberfest' at
the Café de Paris in Monaco, today, 22 October 2010. Monaco celebrates it
from 22 until 30 October this year.
The Monegasques celebrate their festivity according to Bavarian traditions
with beer halls, celebrities from Monaco and Bavarian or alpine troupes
performing on the terrace of the Café de Paris.

Oh, i just answer when Oktoberfest was going to take place in Princely Family thread. :p
Alberts seems to have a good time, like always in these festivities :lol:

Poor Albert looks like he isn't enjoying himself. Normally he goes to the Munich version! How come he isn't there with CW as usual ?

Last year Charlene didn't attend the Oktoberfest in Monaco either.

Prince Albert on the second day of the Francophonie Summit in Montreux,
Switzerland, Saturday, October 23, 2010.
The Summit takes place from October 22 to 24 in Montreux. Some 70 heads
of state and 3,000 delegates attend the summit that will focus on issues of
global governance and democracy, sustainable development and cultural
diversity.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery ** daylife **

:previous: I am actually doing a British Isles cruise next year and stopping off in S. Queensferry. I am very excited, although I wish I had more time to do the actual land tour of Scotland.

Its interesting to think about Monaco and the situation in France. I am aware of the protests et all, and it didn't even cross my mind that Monaco could be affected as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom